Adlanail Glinfalin - The bard's trail....

• (( Rescued from obscurity on the old forums and my hard drive in hopes that i'll add some more to it))

:: a battered book can be found in a crevice in the goblin hideout. It looks clearly abandoned and weathered. On opening the pages a neat scrawl can be deciphered which reads :- ::

Prologue

I start this diary in memory of my mother, Evalione, priestess of Meilikki and as a journal of my quest to recover her jewellery and the trappings of the shrine she died defending. It is my solemn pledge to my father that I shall return with the ring he crafted her or not at all. To my sister Diorien I pledge that she shall soon wear the necklace and earrings in memory of my mother. To the village of Dark Hollow I pledge that the Latheriel branch and Gildenhorn shall be returned.
    Adlanail Glinfalin

28th day of Marpenoth
    The arguing is over. Both Volarian and I have convinced my father that his duty lies with the village and with Diorien. He has agreed that Beomor shall take his place on the trail. I make my preparations for our departure tomorrow.

29th day of Marpenoth
    We wave goodbye to both Ramelin and Diorien and set out to the Northeast to attempt to pick up the spoor of the Goblin raiders. After 4 days the spoor will be difficult to find but such a horde should leave much evidence of its passing. By evening reached Fallentree . Rumours of a goblin war band abound….we have found the trail !

30th day of Marpenoth
    Progress is slow. Although the horde must be large, after 4 days their trail is cold and we are forced to skirt abroad to find villagers and rumours of the horde. Their progress is constantly Northeast, the direction that their attack came from. Are they returning home with their spoils?

1st day of Uktar
    We have crossed the border into Damara. Volarian becomes increasingly worried as we find it harder and harder to locate settlements in these open areas. I wish I was more use to both he and Beomor. I should have followed my fathers training more closely. Would that I was a ranger like he, Volarian and Beomor. What use is a minstrel on a quest such as this ?

2nd day of Uktar
    Little progress today. Our camp moved only 2 miles as both Beomor and Volarian ranged far and wide trying to pick up some trace of the hordes passing. Where have they gone ???

3rd day of Uktar
    Spent all day in camp today. The acolytes set up a shrine and I prayed to Meilikki to give us guidance. No progress. Mother, if you are listening to my prayers please give us a sign I beseech you.

4th day of Uktar
    Despair. Volarian and Beomor returned late last night after a fruitless search. How can I return home now ? What can I say to my Village and Family ? What can I do ?
    Curse the Gods !

5th day of Uktar
    Meilikki be praised ! I am certain it is a sign. In the late evening at sunset Volarian spied a Unicorn. It stands out there watching us. It must be a sign. Meilikki’s symbol out here in the open plains ? Volarian and Beomer are not so sure but I am convinced.
    I have suggested we approach it. Volarian and Beomer are set to have the men return. I must convince them.

6th day of Uktar
    We track the Unicorn. After much arguing all were swayed by my assertion that there is little else we can do. The men agree. How can we return ? There is no other hope but the Unicorn. Meilikki smile on us. I pray to the gods that I am right. The Unicorn leads us northward and stays just out of bowshot. It must be a sign.

7th day of Uktar
    Still the Unicorn leads us northward. As we set camp he ventures nearer but still remains distant. We break camp. Volarian means to use all his skill to catch him.

8th day of Uktar
    We have tracked the Unicorn all through the night by fullmoon and all the rest of the day. Yet still he remains before us elusive as ever.

9th day of Uktar
    The damned animal allows us no rest ! We barely stop to eat in our determination to catch the creature.

10th day of Uktar
    3 days we have tracked him without rest. Always northward. He leads us a merry dance !

11th day of Uktar
    The Unicorn turns east. We slow. Our stamina flags but the beast does not let up.

12th day of Uktar
    Our vigour is renewed ! We have found a piece of the Latheriel branch. It is broken and twisted but where else out on the plains would there be a bough broken from the tree yet still in full bloom in the depths of winter. We have the trail again.
    Lead on o wondrous Unicorn. Your praises I shall sing !

13th day of Uktar
    Doom. Beomor says we must return the branch, if it is such, to the village. How can he doubt it is not ? The acolytes with us have agreed it is so. The rest of our hunting party agrees with him. They mean to return home. Only Volarian and I mean to go on. Our quest cannot end so.

14th day of Uktar
    We have separated. Beomor has taken the hunting party back to return to the village in triumph. Triumph ? How can it be triumph when we have only found one broken piece of the artefacts we seek ? Volarian and I shall follow the Unicorn to the Goblins and somehow return the rest. Volarian says if we can find the hordes camp we shall send word. But will they come ?

15th day of Uktar
    We press on trying to make haste all day. Trusting our good fortune to the Unicorn we follow his lead at our utmost pace. His effortless grace keeps our fastest pace at bay and manages to lift our spirits all in one. It has been several days since my mood has been one of anything but depression.

16th day of Uktar
    I am sure we are gaining on him. I have seen no signs of the goblins and Volarian says he cannot tell if we are on their trail or not but we must be gaining on him. How can he be making such speed ?

17th day of Uktar
    All through the day the Unicorn pulls us on. Further and further he pulls ahead encouraging us on. By mid afternoon he is at the edge of our vision but still we press on eager to gain on him and the travelling warband.

18th day of Uktar
    The Unicorn has gone and leaves little trace. Our pace slows as Volarian picks up his tracks.

19th day of Uktar
    The Unicorns spoor is faint but Volarian has now picked up Goblin signs.

20th day of Uktar
    We spy smoke in the distance. On reaching the village we find little left bar the embers. At least our village was not overrun this way. We speak to survivors returning to claim and bury the dead. What is left of them at least. They tell Volarian that we are at least 2 days behind the warband that desecrated this place. We must press on to make up the distance.

21st day of Uktar
    We have lost the Unicorn’s spoor but it matters not. We redouble our efforts to catch the goblins. We travel all day and far into the night in an effort to make up time.

22nd day of Uktar
    Another day and night of travelling brings us upon fresh signs of the goblins passage.

23rd day of Uktar
    Late at night we finally catch our first sight of the goblin band as they break camp to begin their trek again. We forgoe any rest to cautiously trail their course.

24th day of Uktar
    During the day we catch up on our rest. Later we discuss a course of action now that we have found the goblin band.

25th day of Uktar
    It is decided, we cannot send word back now. We need to know where the goblins finally are headed for such that we can send word to bring our revenge to them there.

26th day of Uktar
    After a full day’s observation of the goblins it has been noticed that they send out small patrols to scout and forage. We have determined to ambush one of these patrols.

27th day of Uktar
    Volarian was amazing, the ambush he set up worked like a wonder. Most of the goblins did not know where to look when our first two arrows felled two of their number. Another two were picked off as the remaining two took to their heels and fled. Even then Volarian had predicted the path of their flight and activated the trap he had set, downing and pouncing on one hapless survivor as I managed to shoot the other through the leg disabling him also.

• We waited with baited breath as the goblins crept down the small depression we had chosen to set up the ambush. Volarian had prepared well, I still could not see the creeper he had stretched across their path and so it turned out neither could the goblins. They crept on oblivious to its presence lured on by the birds, which were in turn lured there by Volarians scraps that he had set out. I was nearly going crazy with tension and wondering what Volarian was up to. He had now let the goblins creep past the two bushes that the creeper was strung between
    I only knew of its presence because I had seen him place it but now that the goblins had passed it, our surprise was lost and it was useless. Still he had not motioned with the signal for attack, what was he waiting for ? Our positions had been carefully chosen by Volarian such that from our vantage we could easily see each other and by carefully craning our heads could observe the goblins through foliage. Thus as long as we kept still and quiet the goblins would not know of our presence till they were level or past the line of foliage.
    Suddenly Volarian drew back his bowstring and made to stand, I knew the signs and made to do the same also. Even the attacks had been co-ordinated by the Ranger who had me aim for the nearest goblin and work towards the back whilst he would do the opposite. Thus as the first goblin fell and the goblins started to turn in my direction to see where the arrow had come from, the yelp and gurgle from the back had them turning back as I notched another arrow and drew the string. As they were still in shock my arrow took another from the back and then the group broke. They had just tuned to run when another of Volarians took the rearmost again. I was still nocking my arrow as the now rearmost goblin crossed the line of bushes and the creeper sprung up. It felled both goblins and went limp as Volarian dropped the rope holding it taut and leapt from his position, sprinting on the fallen foes.
    The first goblin to rise scrambled across the creeper and started to lope off. I had to switch my aim to it as the second drew weapon and prepared to receive the ranger’s charge, which had now blocked my view of it. My hastily aimed arrow only took it in the leg and it went down clutching at the arrow and screaming.
    Volarian blocked his opponent’s desperate swing and pummelled the creature into unconsciousness. He then scrambled up and sent the other screaming goblin into blackness too before hastily checking the area for signs that the commotion had been heard.
    Nothing, we were clear. Volarian returned like an avenging god. He bound both unconscious goblins and had me carry the other to a sheltered cave. After gagging both, he left saying he was going to cover our tracks. In the half-hour he was gone both goblins recovered and started wriggling caterpillar-like to the back of the cave. On his return he immediately sat astride the unwounded goblin and started beating it and hissing in some guttural language I now know as goblin. Both goblins were looking increasingly terrified. He ripped off the gag on the one he was astride and held his blade to it’s throat. Although terrified the Goblin seemed to know better than to scream. it continued to struggle. He was hissing at spitting at it and it was returning his venom in the same gutteral lanuage. It was then he drew his blade across it’s throat. In the few shocked seconds afterwards that it took my gorge to rise, minute details became painted on my memory : the shocked gurgling of the stricken goblin : the rancid smell of the creatures ichor: the complete look of terror then hopelessness on the bound companion. Then I was running, stumbling from the cave my stomach’s contents spattering the grass.
    Volarian quickly appeared at my side. I don’t know if it was the numbness of the aftershock but I just didn’t know how to respond to his concern for my wellbeing.
    Waving him away I slowly returned to the cave as he bade me.
    “Well that one was of no use.” he continued. “The stubborn little vermin wouldn’t part with any information. Perhaps the other will be more co-operative now”
    I could taste it’s fear as he strode towards it, perhaps it was even my own foreboding that was palatable as I almost screamed “Volarian , NO !”
    He turned then and smiled “Oh, I’m not going to kill our last source of information…..” the rest of his words were lost in the mutter as he turned away and a wave of relief swept over me.
    Without removing the thing’s gag he knelt down in the corner it had scrabbled into and reached out and twisted the arrow stub still embedded in the creature’s leg.
    The creature’s eyes went wide with fear and pain, its muffled squeals muted by the gag. Volarian reached out and slowly loosened the gag once the creature had stilled to a whimper. He spoke again in the gutteral lanuage but this time there did not seem to be as much venom in his tone. The goblin whimpered quietly for a while seeming to expect the fatal blow and all the while Volarian kept up a quiet stream of goblin.
    Eventually it opened its eyes almost in bewilderment.
    Then to my amazement it spoke ! I could not tell the words in that harsh lanuage but there was no doubt the thing was conversing with Volarian. “Ha ! Good ! Now we’re getting somewhere.” was all that Volarian uttered before going back to conversing with our foe. It was obvious that Volarian was questioning the Goblin but about what I knew not. Eventually the questioning trailed off.
    Volarian crossed the cave to me. “Well, now we at least know where we’re headed.” he said to my anxious look. “Where ?”was all my intellect allowed. “They’re going to join some goblin force in a place called the Rawlinswood. And they’re taking the temple trinkets to ensure their acceptance.” The word “trinkets” sparked a rush of anger which was quickly suppressed by my curiousity. “Why ?” Volarian looked distraught “ I know not” he said “Something big is happening there but Grashk doesn’t know what it is and I’m convinced he does not know.” I paused for a second then “Grashk ?” Volarian jerked his head towards the goblin and I felt a wave of shame for my foolish question but events had moved too fast for my stunned brain to keep up.
    “What about the goblin ?
    His reply again shocked me to the core. “We kill it.”he said coldly.
    “You…you cannot.” I began.
    “Release it then, it matters not” he conceded to my obvious relief. The goblin huddled in its corner and did not move while I undid its bonds or even for some time afterwards. It simply sat there looking at the strips of rope and both of us. Finally Volarian said something to it and it srcabbled up and limped quickly away. It had not got 20 paces from the cave when Volarian’s arrow took it through the heart. It turned as it fell and till my dying day I will remain confused by the evil smile on its lips as it’s eyes dimmed.
    I could not look at Volarian as a confusion of emotions swept over me, dismay at my companions actions, elation at the falling of another of my mothers killers and guilt at having set the goblin free only to kill it as well as repugnance for having compassion for possibly one of my mothers killers. “ I could not let it return with news of us” was all that Volarian said of the matter.
    I would not need to record the events of that day as they would forever be burned in my memory and so it was some time much later that I sat down for the ritual penning of the days happenings to write :

27th day of Uktar
    Volarian was amazing, the ambush he set up worked like a wonder. Most of the goblins did not know where to look when our first two arrows felled two of their number. Another two were picked off as the remaining two took to their heels and fled. Even then Volarian had predicted the path of their flight and activated the trap he had set, downing and pouncing on one hapless survivor as I managed to shoot the other through the leg disabling him also. We learned from the goblin captives of their motives and destination.

As we lay in the grass it was easy to spot unusual activity in the goblin camp. There was no doubt that they had found the lost patrol. Our only question lay in wondering if our ruse of removing our arrows from their wounds and replacing them with their own was having the desired effect. We could not tell if they suspected an in camp feud or if it was just the finding of the patrol slaughtered that had got them agitated.
    Either way as long as they did not suspect we were trailing them our plan was good.
    Over the course of the day it became clear that we were having some effect since they reduced the frequency of their patrols and doubled the size of them.
    It would mean we would have to avoid those patrols in future ! Alerted as they were Volarian felt sure they would be less prone to run and more prone to fire back and I must say I agreed.
    Indeed I felt somewhat relieved that we would not take any “prisoners” again. It was much easier for me to fire in hate when they were firing back and this brought on guilt
    when I realized that I feared I could not kill one of my mother’s killers in “cold blood”.
    The goblins must have been somewhat panicked since they broke camp some hours before dusk and travelled well into dawn then next day before setting camp again.
    We now had the luxury of knowing where they were headed and so could afford to wait and pick up their trail allowing us to remain clear of their patrols and allowing me to compose my diary once more.

28th day of Uktar
    The goblins seem agitated by finding the slaughtered patrol. They have taken steps to ensure it cannot be repeated but we have put a dent in their numbers and confidence.
    They have broken camp earlier than usual and we will let them take a lead since we now know their destination.
    We must be wary. Our good fortune has allowed us to become lax. We almost ran into one of their patrols whilst following their trail. It would seem their agitation has not waned for we had no option but to backtrack and hope they did not spot our tracks. Taking on a small patrol in an ambush we had prepared was dangerous at best even though it worked like a charm but taking on a doubled patrol when we were not prepared could not be contemplated. When finally we had the nerve to track the patrol it seems they were on their way back to camp.
    Our observation of the camp indeed shows that they are still agitated about something. We can hear them bickering but not well enough to make out the words although Volarian swears he discerned the words for arrows and tracks. I would not doubt the ears of an experienced ranger.
    Our observation of the camp was disrupted since they have now increased the frequency of their patrols as well as the numbers in them. We have been forced to make our retreat to a safe distance but will let them set off again and will try to pick up their trail on the morrow. This will give me time to add another entry.

29th day of Uktar
    Goblin patrols are heavy now. We must stay well back. Nearly discovered by one such patrol. It seems our ambush has them greatly anxious. Need to be very careful.
    May Mielikki guide our steps.