Hard Lessons: Anja Willowmein

• Background here.

I woke up pretty late in the day in a cheap room at the Boarshead. While I was having an ale to get me moving, I started talking to a fellow who’d just come in from fighting orcs up North. He was pretty banged up, so I told him it looked like someone had dropped a nest of those beasts right on top of him. Anyway, it turns out he’s the brother to Eric, who I met just days beforehand. Sol, the brother, had a spot of trouble with my name – must be the northern accent. He heads off to sleep for a bit while Eric and I chat for a while. When Sol gets back, they invite me to head up to Jiyyd with them. I’d only been there a handful of times with pa, so I agree pretty quick like – anything to get out of Norwick for a spell. They warned me to shoot the women orcs first, something about them knowing magic. I ask whether they’re the ugly ones or the not so ugly, and Sol said nah, they were the ones with beards. We laugh then headed out.

The road up was pretty uneventful. No real problems except Sol got turned around once or twice. Then we got to the hills where the orcs were, and they didn’t waste anytime. Eric had his sword through one before I even seen it coming. From there on out it was pretty much fighting nonstop. We only paused for a spell or two to heal and collect ourselves. I managed to find myself a shield.

At one point, I suppose one of them females worked some magic on me. I felt right to sleep in the middle of the field. It was only for Eric and Sol that I didn’t die right then and there, and well, things only got worse when I woke up. We kept going despite the near loss, and soon I was bleeding pretty bad with a bolt sticking out my leg. I stayed back and lost sight of Eric and Sol. I might have been getting dizzy from the bloodloss or maybe I was put to sleep again, but everything went black for I don’t know how long. When I woke, I saw an orc headed my way. I first started in the direction of the brothers and saw them lying on the ground, either dead or asleep. There was a witch not too far away, but there was also blood all over the grass around them.

Well, I’m not too proud to say it, but I ran. I ran like the nine hells were chasing me. Ran for Jiyyd because my life depended on it. And I say I’m not so proud, but you know, when it comes down, I feel good to be alive. I haven’t seen Eric or Sol around since then. I don’t know if anyone ever will Maybe I’ll have some explaining to do if we meet again, but I don’t know if my own breathing fighting self needs any more of an explanation.

• Two nights ago there were a mighty big gathering at the south fire. Folks were yapping about all kinds of things, big and small. Some lady named Sera decided to get together a group to go hunting and I agreed naturally. We stepped out into the woods like it was any other evening. She were a decent enough fighter herself, claimed to be a paladin of Lathander. It weren’t too long but we’re in a tight spot. Along comes some red haired lady, takes out a gobo or two, and offers to heal me if I do her a favor. Well, I weren’t in too big a position to say no, so I agree and all. Her favor were to fill a vial with my own blood. Plenty of it were available like, so I fill the vial and she heals me right up then drinks the vial. Which was odd, but I didn’t take that as the warning I should’ve just yet.

Next, it’s Sera’s turn. It starts off the same, but Sera decides to let this lady drink it straight from her arm. Before long it’s clear Sera thinks she’s had enough, but the woman keeps drinking. I’m busy sending off a few gobs, and Sera fights but can’t get free. All the while, the red haired lady’s drinking more and more, liketa kill Sera and all. So I step in and bush her off. Sera runs and the lady trades some words with me. Seemed pretty cocky for someone who just had her butt pushed into the mud. Before Sera’s out of sight, I turn and march off.

On our way back to town, we run into two folks I hadn’t seen much of before. Didn’t know their names at the time, but I latter learned they were Azule and Amith. She, Amith, offers to heal Sera and me. I must’ve looked awful, but I’m sure it were mostly me being angry with that red haired woman. I’m not sure if I said much, but I guess my thoughts came through, as later Azule asked why I was so suspicious. Reckon I had reason to be. Anyway, Sera takes the healing and then were off. And in good health, we decide we might as well try our hands at the East.

Before too long, Sera had to head back, but I met up with two fellows I came to know as Adam and Adon, both paladins or something of Torm. These two have come up with the idea that you get one feller to run and shout and get a goblin’s attention, then the other folk stand behind trees and fill the critter with arrows. It worked mighty well. Bit tiring when you’re the fool running, but so long as you keep your direction, you make it out in the end. We certainly killed plenty that way.

Anyway, before too long we had enough loot and scratches between us that we figure it best to head to Norwick, so we do. There were still a crowd by the fires, bigger than ever even, and some woman threw me a few accusations, so I headed off to get some peace and quiet.

After some shuteye, I ran into Azule and we fell to talking about my suspiciousness and what. Then he invites me along with some friends of his into the woods. Again, it started off alright, so far as these things go, but then the hin they had leading the chase starts running all over. Worse, everyone follows, running and running, and only encouraging him on. There were no planning to it, just running and not bothering to stop and see if there weren’t a pile of goblins behind the next hill.

Well somehow the hin got separated from them and they figured he must’ve died. So we patch up to see if we can find the body, but this time their running about costs us. I near died myself out there. If that lot of fools again – or anyone else that stupid -I’m like to tell them a thing or two or take my spear and head back to Norwick, alone if I have to. I’m not so keen on their company that I’m jumping to get killed over it, not for a few goblins hides either.