Told from the Rant Stand

• Aelthas, dressed in his Defender armor, takes the stand, looking over the people present. His wife Lycka in her Cerulean Knight uniform, standing beside him as he takes her hand, waiting for a moment before trying to gather the peoples attention.

People of Peltarch, it's no secret the other day several Defenders were brought into the city bound, even I hear the rumors being spoken in the taverns. We had defectors, now we know some of them are guilty, but some are just men and women who follow orders and aren't sure what to do anymore, as they can barely feed their families. Does it completely excuse such an action, no.. but it does show that things are wrong. The city is changing since the war, things take time, I agree. But how long is this going to go on?!

Our brave, loyal and devoted soldiers, who sacrificed so much for all of us in the war, can barely put food on their tables for them or their families, because they aren't being paid! Moral drops by the day, men start defecting, some for being traitors, others for not knowing what to do anymore. I say that's enough! It's time for this city and no, not just the Senate, but everyone to take care of the men and women who sacrifice so much for you!

I call on everyone in this city, the rich, the poor, the guilds.. help your soldiers. With a kind word, a loaf of bread, a potato, anything. It's a big problem and it won't be solved quickly, but we can make a beginning to solve it. As the city can't seem to pay our soldiers, then we can pay them! Anything anyone can afford to give, a copper, food that can be gathered and handed out to the families of these men and women, anything to help.

My beautiful wife Lycka and I will begin it. This is to start.. Holding up a few large bags of coins Five thousand gold, from us, to the Defenders, anyone Sergeant or below in rank will be receiving an equal share of this gold, to supplement their pay, to give them at least something and we will be working on getting more.

Also! A tenday from now, the first of three gatherings will be held for the Defenders. In the Amethyst Festhall, any off duty Defenders are encouraged to come, relax, enjoy the music and the dancing. There is no charge, everything has been tended to by my wife and I for it. We only expect you to enjoy yourself.

His eyes scan over any people gathered a long moment before he begins speaking again

I will gladly accept any support you wish to show our soldiers. I'm not a hard man to find most times. It's time for this city to stand up and do what's right, don't forget our Defenders because the war is over, they were there in our time of need, now we need to be here, in their time of need.

• _With a faint blush, Lycka stands back as the painting is unveiled, giving it a last self-critical look before turning her eyes back to the crowd. The painting is fairly large, and clearly a lot of work has gone into the creation of it, the scent of paint and varnish indicating a very recent completion.

Titled "The Surrender", the painting portrays a key moment from the war, featuring a number of known faces. The scene is set at the barricades leading into the Docks district, rain and smoke artfully blurring the warzone in the background, the faint glimmer of twilight through the clouds lending a tinge of amber to the otherwise predominant blue and grey-toned image.

In the foreground, straight-backed and quietly commanding, stands Kaster Lavindo, easily recognizable by the bald head and his familiar stern profile, turned to face the general of the N'Jast forces. The latter is portrayed with a certain solemn dignity of his own, grim-faced yet respectful in defeat.

To the general's right, behind the barricades, stands the well-known figure of Cerulean Knight Captain Kenton Seth, alongside Far Scout Sierrah Ju'ent (the latter not in the screenshot, but definitely included in the actual painting), both scorched and bloodied from the battle of the docks so recently behind them. To the left, and further back, stand three prominent members of the Black Sails - Pavel Amblecrown, John Isle and Sabre Seesaw - likewise bearing the cuts and bruises of heavy fighting, satisfaction on their faces. Dimmed by the smoke and drizzle, Defenders and various volunteer fighters can just be made out further back, some lifting their hands in a ragged victory cheer._

• _Ronan seems to hear most of the speeches on his way to get his favorite snack of apples from Kyla. Mostly hearing of Chadwick's and Shannon's words. He almost seems surprised at Shannon's words of him, but pleasently so..

He leaves, murmuring to himself_

I'm glad at least one person sees the truth.

• John comes wobbling from the Ferret, scent of Riskey obvious around him. After a gulp from a flask, he takes the stand one last time.

_Ssso! It be lookin' like there be some drama t' these 'ere elections afterall, ey? Wellnow. I've some candidates left t' go, but since they be more o' th' paper twiddlin' types I ain't seen em enough t' get full view on em all. So 'ere we go, all at once, argh!

So then, first up, mister Whyte. Talked wi' him fair bit. Contrary t' popular belief, he be actually a fine chap. Just, he's gone 'n picked th' wrong guild this time 'round, what wi' all th' scandals. Don't let that bother ye though, as 'n senator, this chap will be leadin' us t' new age o' prosperity, argh. Good manners, fine plans, and a heart that ain't corrupt.

Next, th' Fisher. Which one was 't, Ryan? Eh. Here's what methinks. Don' go votin' fer 'im, th' family be breedin' like bunnies, they be gettin' int' all places o' power in th' city an' it'll turn shitty pretty soon, savvy? Besides, he ain't e'en very spectacluar chap anyroads. Just says what ye want t' hear.

Movin' on t' Hardin. Hardin be hard. In politics. Get 't? Hardin hard in.. but not on. Harr harr. Anywho, if ye are int' wavebreakers, go ahead an' vote fer 'im. He ain't bad - though if 'e gets elected, 'e needs t' take some o' those behaviour classes in th' college - he be havin' foul temper on occasions. Seen 'im shoutin at poor Calen so hard th' paladin needed three hankies t' dry 'is face o' th' spit'n'foam.

'n then, we go to uhh.. Johnathan Von Ulgath. 'n I don' know shite about this fella. So chances are, ye elect 'im, he's just goin' t' stay unnoticeable, bori' senator who's makin' decisions t' benefit himself. Y'want merchantman, y'go fer Whyte. He be devout waukeenar, Whyte.

Then.. Baron Gor-whatsit? Honestly, Peltarchians, don't fall fer 'im. He be th' reason ah started these rants - he's jus' goin' by th' book, offerin' ye what ye wanna hear. He be a career politician, arr. He be doin' it fer his own benefit. Hells, 'e was only born 'ere, an' came back when th' elections started. Trust me, ye don't want 'im. He'll try t' make Peltarch part o' his lands, I wager, an' make a new kingdom! ot t' mention that when we retook th' docks durin' th' war, we found 'n damaran royal 'elmet in th'sewers.. ::shows the helmet to the people:: do y'want t' risk votin' in a traitor?

'kay, what then.. oh aye, some random Barriston Shift fella. From th' guards.. eh, I ain't goin' t' say anything else about 'im, except.. those who plan t' vote 'im, give yer votes t' Lavindo instead.

Lavindo's been servin' th' city fer eons. He be ol', but nae senile - he -will- make good decisions fer ye. Only bad thing about 'im be.. well, there be two. 1) He be old, an' can't be senator fer too long wi'out some longevity potions.. and 2) He's ne'er bought me ale._
    John swigs from his flask again, then gives a sign, and the gorgeous bard Lycka appears to the stand, carrying a large, covered object.

_Ne'ertheless.. ah appreciate what Lavindo 'as done fer us all. So much so, ah asked Lycka 'ere t' make a wee paintin' o' th' moment when th' N'jastians surrendered t' us. Some o' th' faces might be familiar t' ye.. ::grins:: but enough talk!

Don't vote Fisher, Lightswell, Shift, Petrarch, Nightwind.. an' specifically not Gormonlythe, nae.._
    He grabs the cloth covering the painting, and dramatically removes it with one fluid move.

Vote fer Peltarch. Vote fer Lavindo!

John lingers on the stage a while, before grinning and walking down to the crowd.. looking to see if he has new fans, perhaps?

• @85a216fd0c=Kayleb:

I'd say the folks fighting Aramatures at the gates found it HARDER!

Telli grins from ear to ear at Marty's comment on one of her trips through Peltarch to pick up seeds and saplings.

• Legion

Murmured amongs the crowd gathered, after whytes rant but before Shannons

@8eac45e5cb:

Some of us should have stood up to stop them at the time rather than regretting them later. I am one of those people, and I apologise to all of you most profusely for that. It was a hard thing to contradict Vaster Ashald, or to blatantly disobey him.

Did he just say … "HARD"? Sorry ... What! How would it have been hard to resign! Or even stand up to your crminal boss! I'd say the folks counting on that food found it HARDER! I'd say the folks fighting Aramatures at the gates found it HARDER! Yeah ... so HARD to resist making a mountain of coin by letting your neighbours starve...

What a pansey!

That sounded like an admission of guilt to me.

• A few hours after Chadwick Whyte takes the stand, Shannon D'Arneau takes to the stand once more.

People of Peltarch, Chadwick Whyte is correct - I am not impartial.

He pauses for a momemnt.

Justice cannot be impartial to injustice.

I am indeed a man filled with bitterness and spite for the particular facet of society - which is greedy, corrupt, and rains suffering down upon Peltarch's good citizens. My vendetta against such groups is genuine.

However…

Chadwick Whyte has not, to date, been individually charged - with anything - in this ongoing investigation. Ronan Redralen has not been charged with any collusion in this incident nor is it likely that he will be. This is the official position of the Office of the Magistrate - and stands as fact.

I pledge to the people of Peltarch that the trial regarding these heinous crimes will be held publicly, and that all evidence will be reviewed at that time.

He waits for yet another moment, letting the crowd absorb what he has said. While not very charismatic, it is readily apparent that he has a great deal of experience with timing during public speaking…

Evidence has further shown that the Seafarers hold a dual-treasury system with all of their affiliated lower guilds - the Harvest Union included. The Seafarers are able to dip into their treasury at their leisure. This is factual.

It follows logically that this gives them monopolistic control of the League of Guilds - being that the League governs trade regulation, this gives them the ability to set their own trade regulations nearly on a whim.

I have issued a warrant requesting for the recovery of all financial records and shipping manifests, as well as land deeds and licensing documents, from Seafarer records. This warrant has been given to Guard General Marcus Ash.

He pauses again, surveying the crowd for a reaction…

It is in my personal opinion that this does not, however, detract from the fact that members of the guild, particularly the guild's Council - Chadwick Whyte, included - must either have known about such trading practices during the war, or be woefully incompetent.

Good citizens of Peltarch - I have no intention of making the Seafarers Guild out to be monsters. They have already made monsters of themselves.

Still - to my knowledge, Ronan Redralen had nothing to do with Norwick's side of negotiations and his original involvement with the acquisition of the documents that lead to Vaster Ashald's banishment was done of his own accord and want to do the right thing.

Furthermore, I shall openly admit that I am sponsoring two candidates. Let me say it clearly now: Clayton Nightwind and Calen Ashwynd have my full support.

He pauses once more…

Is it uncommon for a group or individual to throw their support behind candidates? The Seafarer Guild supports candidates - as do the Wavebreakers, the Stonemasons, the Shoemakers, the Bakers, the Harvest Union, the Temple of Sune, the noble families, the Defenders and the Guard - and many more. Were Captain Varid to support Kaster Lavindo or General Ash to support Barriston Shift in anyway, we should brand them for their injustices as well. Clearly I have committed a great injustice in offering financial aid and the like to two men whom I deem honorable.

After nodding but once to himself, he steps down from the stand… leaving the crowd to discuss what was just said.

• Chadwick Whyte takes the stand, his typical easy going expression replaced by a more troubled and stressed one for a change.

"Peltarchans! We are witnessing something in these times, something that our city has rarely witnessed before, and I am saddened by it. We have been witnessing a campaign of lies against my Guild, coupled with a campaign of vengeance by Shannon D'Arneau. I say vengeance, my friends, because while everything he is doing is technically within his power, I would put to you that he is abusing this power for his own personal interests. He is a man with a political vendetta against my Guild, and the implementation of our City's laws should be practiced by men and women who are fair and impartial, not filled with bitterness and spite for any particular facet of society.

Where is the evidence of this vendetta, you ask? Well, ask yourselves how often a Magistrate has made a speech against a party to an investigation? In fact, speeches are something Magistrates need not make at all to conduct their affairs! The sole reason behind that speech, friends, was to rally opinion amongst you all against the Seafarers Guild so that we would fare poorly in the elections!

And he has not stopped there, either! The noble Magistrate has gone so far as to sponsor not one, but TWO candidates for the Senate, both of whom should be viewed as nothing more than his puppets! I ask you all now, is this the kind of impartiality we have all come to expect from our Magistracy?

Finally, I will speak about what he has actually said about the Seafarers, for it would be unfortunate if I left you with the stark impression of Guilt he was so keen to imply. Our Guild has suffered for the unfortunate direction and policies of our former leader, I do not deny it. Some decisions that were made, should not have been made. Some of us should have stood up to stop them at the time rather than regretting them later. I am one of those people, and I apologise to all of you most profusely for that. It was a hard thing to contradict Vaster Ashald, or to blatantly disobey him. But it is unfair to demonise our entire Guild for his crimes, or even for our fear.

We are going to take the Seafarers Guild into a new future, where it becomes a partner in the affairs of Peltarch, instead of a bully. I only hope that we are allowed to do this by the manyfold vultures surrounding us right now. Finally, we will cooperate fully with any investigations. We are more than willing to atone, Shannon, but we are not willing to be made monsters of."

• Adrian nods approvingly at Shannon's speech. "The wheels of justice turn ever on."

• From the crowd, the tubby gnomish figure of Perriwig P. Doubleday - who takes malfeasance in matters edible extremely personally - gasps, scandalised at the news.

• Calen listens intently to Shannons rant and then nods and requests a meeting with Shannon to discuss how far the arms of this travesty reach

• // sorry I just saw the post

smiles to John though does not let him see it and wears his helmet around him to cover the blond hair

• Magistrate Shannon D'Arneau takes to the stand, a stack of papers in his hands. He stands there, looking down for quite some time, before speaking…

Citizens of Peltarch, I come to you this day as a servant of the Jewel of the Icelace - and I come to you with dire news. As you know, Vaster Ashald has been banished from Peltarch for the crime of Conspiracy to Commit Murder.

Because of his leadership of the Seafarer's Guild, and his connections to various other alleged crimes - I ordered an investigation into the Seafarer's financial records to determine the extent of his corruption. The Guild resisted as much as it good against this warrant, denying the search not once, but twice, and finally appealing to Captain Varid for relief - but they did not receive it.

He pauses in his speech for some time, as if searching for the proper words…

The records my office received date back two years - first and foremost, they reveal the following:

The books factually verify the Guild's rumored intentional policy of withholding food from a starving Peltarch and selling it to Norwick instead, at huge profits.

As such, I will be consulting with Magistrate Greywing on filing the following charges: Treason, Negligent Murder, Negligent Harm, and Fraud against the Guild as a whole - as the financial records detail involvement at a minimum.

Needless to say, Vaster was not alone in this… however...

The Office of the Magistracy has no intention to deprive to good citizens of Peltarch of their jobs, nor to deprive the city of trade. We will strive fully to ensure that while this obscene transgression does not go unpunished, that the innocent are not punished along with the guilty.

He pauses in his speech once more…

Long live the Jewel.

The Magistrate quietly walks off the stand, leaving the crowd to take in what's just been said.

• Telli wanders through covered in dirt and looking for more seeds and such to plant in Oscura as John begins his rant. She cringes as he begins squinting an eye then hearing only the comment on blonde hair nods happily and waddles along keeping to her business with no urges to kick her friend Mr John.

• _Alrite! Time fer Calen!

Ye know this fella? Of course ye do, 'e actually spends time in Peltarch, unlike th' Nightwinds. Arr, he be a fine chap, Calen. Though 'e has 'is flaws.

First o' all, he be blonde. As we all know, those o' blonde hair be naturally dumb. 's why ah prefer t' fill th' blondes from th' upper ho-.. ::ahem:: Anywho! So aye, he be nae so bright lad.

But 'e has heart st 'n right place. He be common man. He'd learn t' be a grand senator fer ye.

If yer plannin' t' vote fer a knight, don't pick th' evil-slayer, blood covered Nightwind. Neither do ye want t' vote fer Adrian - Adrian who be havin' support o' Parsley, who gave up th' process after 'is scandalous plans were reavealed by yers truly.

Nae! Go fer Calen.

Calen, People's Paladin_

• John walks to the rant stand again, rather lazily:

_'s been a while since th' last dirt-revealin, ey? Well, if'n ye want t' know why, 's because th' candidates ah have left don' show their face outside much. Or up in Peltarch. Like th' next candidate.

That'd be Clayton Nightwind. This fella, along wi' his brother, be rather new arrival t' Peltarch. Been seein' him around a plenty - that is, walkin' away from Peltarch.

In fact, ah see 'im slayin' gnolls, or headin downwards t' Norwick t' lay a smackin' on zombies, more often than doin' anythin' fer th' city itself.

Sure, he be pretendin' he cares.. for now. He'll forget it if ye elect 'im.

Citizens o' Peltarch! This man ain't a politician! He be a crusadin', evil bashin' pally. Do ye think he'll 'ave time fer yer concerns? Nae! 'e has t' smite evil! Don't be dumb, m'friends. Vote someone who knows about real life, whose every thought ain't built aroun' smackin' things to th' ground.

Vote fer a senator, not a killer.

Clayton Nightwind, a fanatic._

John scratches his hairy chest before continuing:

_Now, if ye want t' vote fer th' holy types fer some reason, vote fer Calen. Ah'll tell ye more about 'im next time, he actually be a people person, and interested 'n Peltarch.

Anyone want t' buy me a drink?_

John walks down to the crowd, perhaps receiving company to the inn?

• Symone may also be seen towards the edge of the crowd slightly hidden by the shadows of a nearby building, as he listens he can only just scratch his chin in though before wandering off.

• Aelthas is seen in the back of the crowd for most of the rant, dressed fully in his Defender gear, an amused smile on his face, he even takes the time clap lightly for the elf's dramatic rant then wanders off chuckling to himself before it is over.

• While the crowd disperses, Yana stays a little longer than most, ensuring that the gathering remains peaceful. Later, with a troubled look on her face, Yana wanders over to the Defenders quarters.

• Most of the crowd that gathers to listen to the tirade is remains silent, many shuffle off after hearing what it is about, and towards the end when Elidur begins chanting a few start to boo him. Evidently Shannon and Aelthas have enough of a reputation that the words spoken against them are not taken well.