Party chan ic or ooc??

• i'd always thought party chan was ooc…unless doing shouts across transitions, which has always been fairly rare

had a character today warn me that party was considered IC by DMs
    is this true? or is it mostly ooc so a group can discuss ooc stuff like phone or toilet breaks or other ooc stuff without spaming the ic world?

tried to search for it with the search function and in the rules/guides but couldn't see anything...maybe its in that book IG or journal or somewhere

anyway...true or false?? ic or ooc??

• What everyone else has said I agree with. Although I denote ooc party chats differently

/p ((Moob has a sexy chin, but he has nothing on the king of all cosmos

the (( denoting ooc I have also seen // to denote ooc

generally I take things as ic if there isn't something like that before or at the end. Unless there are like three of us on the server and we are all in different areas and are just talking about where to go and if to meet up etc. Then i sometimes get lazy and forget to (( or // or <<

Ic'ly I use it for my sneaky characters most often. As they often scout ahead. So I can do an emote for my part and the DM's like

/p skulks ahead sticking to the cliff face for cover

or

/p an owl hoots from around the bend ((I like doing animal noises with my ranger))

Or sometimes I will add a /p at the front of a long emote if my party has transed before I finished typing.

🙂

• thanks for responses.
    didn't realise party chat went to dm chan as well
    good suggestions for its use and to be clear about ooc chat.
    thanks all much obliged

• It can be used for both.

OOC stuff for your whole party to see if they aren't all in the same place, for if you're logging off or something.

IC stuff for a myriad of things. Shouting across tranisitions, using it so a DM can see what you are doing.

But yes, party chat should be avoided as it does clutter up the already cluttered talky boxes of us poor DMs, but often I'll ask (and I'm sure other DMs do as well) for PCs to do their emotes and whatnot in party chat in certain circumstances so I know what is going on.

• I tend to use party chat ICly for two things.

One is to shout across transition.

The other is when I want to let DMs see what I am doing, while at the same time letting the party around me know what I'm doing. Yes, I'm too lazy to type the same thing twice.

• Legion

Because it can be used for both I would recommend indicating whether you're using OOC or IC when it's used.

For example using an emote before your PC's in-character speech.
    /p Benji yells back to the group There's some goblins over here!

And with out-of-character speech just use slashes or 'OOC:' to indicate.
    /p OOC: We should all drop party to cut down on the lag.

• Yes, that's true, but it is used for both on occasion. We usually try to stay off the party channel period, because it clutters up the DM's chat log. However occasional messages, IC or OOC are both acceptable, in moderation.

I personally do not use it for IC chat -usually-, but if there is something that requires it, like yelling across to a player from one map to another (Like to a scout for instance), then I would use it since the standard "talk" channel cannot be used at that point.

Just remember of course, that you should only really speak OOC when you need to, and too much OOC can disrupt other players and DM's fun, and always use something to denote that you are speaking OOC.