Ooc: What do you want to see in Arnath

• Keeps an eye on the thread

• My biggest frustration is not finding other folks in Arnath. To make it a better draw, I'd suggest:

1. Public crafting facilities, ala Peltarch, though I'd add a check on the door to only let in folks with Bloody Rags, if there isn't such a check already at the Arnath gates.

2. An extensive lowbie area, ala the Rawlins woods. There might be one already for all I know, as no one's ever taken me and the NPCs don't really guide me anywhere.

@52acae5eb1:

The way I see it, those who play evil in Narfell are almost prohibited from bringing pain and misery to their fellow players. This makes for a frustrated, castrated, laughable style of PC evil. HOWEVER, the one way I see we might be able to find a way around it is…understand this fact, and inflict pain and misery on each other.

That's one way, and a natural one, but hardly the only one. The problem many evil players have is that their inspiration comes from sadistic villains that want to destroy or enslave everything in sight. If anyone thinks it's hard playing one in Narfell, they should try being one in real life.

If you define evil as the absence of concern for the welfare of others, rather than an active hatred or desire to harm others, you get much farther. The world's business is driven by people who rarely give a rat's ass about the pain and suffering their decisions might bring others. Maybe they're more neutral than outright evil, but one can play with that scale.

My litmus test for a successful evil plot is whether you could persuade a neutral person to support it with a plausible-sounding argument. Narfil's advertisement for "medical experiments" in Norwick, for example, is something that would revolt most truly "good" characters, since they can't imagine not sacrificing everything to help another. A "neutral" or pragmatic character, however, might agree that given the way the world works, that's an offer that will help some families. Nevermind what happens to the test subject. :twisted:

The reason that plot isn't going anywhere isn't that Good PCs are up in arms about it– it's because I can't find anyone interested in taking part. Ditto with almost any evil opportunity I see. Evil players are a small and not very well organized group, and we probably have very different goals. Still, if anyone wants to get together and scheme in game, I'm ready. The current tension in Norwick is a huge opening for evil schemes.

• id like to see a smithy as well

• Things I'd like to see:
    . A fight pit (already mentioned)
    . A more entertainingly equipped jail/torturing facilities.
    . Appropriate Evil temples, the Defiled altar in the tomb is a bit draughty and impersonal, as well as very close to all the do-gooders of Norwick.
    . A decent bar
    . Some handy shops.

Some of those may have already existed in Arnath, but last time I was there I didn't have time to browse about due to hideous undead conflagrations, and an unfortunate Warmachine.

• Arnath is a very complex city because it has to accomodate all sorts of evil, from the political, manipulative, powermongers to the bloodthirsty death dealers.

Luckily, now that it WILL be a city, there is a place for everyone, and if handled right, can be a self motivated plot jungle within itself.

I could write on forever about how PC evil doesn't work in Narf despite how hard we try to make it…but let me instead try to add a positive note.

The way I see it, those who play evil in Narfell are almost prohibited from bringing pain and misery to their fellow players. This makes for a frustrated, castrated, laughable style of PC evil. HOWEVER, the one way I see we might be able to find a way around it is...understand this fact, and inflict pain and misery on each other.

Like I said, Arnath has the potential to be a mini-Narf. A self centered little plot pit with factions and schemers, being as evil as they want to be, but only while WITHIN Arnath. There is only one thing that makes this sadly unrealistic...numbers. We would need a LOT of people down in Arnath playing evil for this to actually work. Do I see it happening? I don't know...seems far off. Would I like it? But of course.

As far as the city itself....

For one, I think an arena, with the same rules as the one in the ferret should be placed in the "seedier" part of town. A place for all the baddies to handle their disagreements without outright PKing each other into stupidity.

I think a drug trade would be a great idea. Now, most Narfers aren't THAT hardcore (like Marlena was) to actually purposely put their PCs through a drug addiction, but it can still be an excellent weapon if put into food and smuggled into the other towns.

Slave trade would be a great plot hook too BUT, in the time that I've been here I've realized that few are actually ready or willing to play out such a role, and those that do, usually get shafted because their play time depends on either a DM or another player. So while it might work on the NPC level, or even just the RP level (they're in your house but are just RP tools), I don't think it would work on the PC level.

Organizations:

Assasin's guild, thieves guild, churches to different gods. All plotting and scheming against the greater good or maybe even against each other.

Now for my idea of Arnath as a plot pit to work, Pinky would need a lot of help. Another DM who is willing to center on Arnath and help evils go against each other and make Arnath really dangerous to walk around in.

That's just what popped into my head at the moment.

Could be all jibberish but I thought I'd express it anyway as always. 🙂