Ooc: What do you want to see in Arnath

• What kind of shops, NPCs, groups, and buildings would you love to see in Arnath.

😉

• Don't we already have one?

Besides, I think that the reason merchants don't buy stolen goods is so that people can't just craft and sell masterwork weapons and such.

• I want a merchant that will buy stolen goods. We need a merchant with less morals and scruples then Frago. 😎

• Strewth, mate..

I say stay with undercommon, if you throw in things like a special arnath language then that will only serve to turn Arnath into more of a guild than a town.

• Yeah, I even said Undercommon in my post… But I was thinking that Arnath might even get its own dialect... Seeing as there could very well be lots of CG elven rangers on the surface that were raised by drow and know undercommon. >_< Some of the smart ones might understand Arnath's dialect... But there are plenty of Americans that can't understand English English or Aussie English very well... So. Y'know.

Whatever. Yeah. Dahlia should teach undercommon.

• They have that 😉

Its undercommon

we really should start RPing that dahlia teaches people that 😉

• That works, grif. Probably easier than trying to make people forget about Arnath and keep everyone totally silent about it.

Oh… And this is kinda off-topic, but the idea -just- popped into my head... A language for Arnathians? Some kind of crazy undercommon dialect or something. I dunno. Would be fun, ne?

• Not what i meant by a two tier system, but it seems i've been the muse for some productive, and interesting, thought.

In regards to the two tier system.. I meant a dual levelled city.. One for citizens, and another for all. The lower and restricted level would have the civic buildings, guild houses, temples etcetera.. Whilst the upper tier would have the merchants, inns and things of that nature. Last time the idea was brought up most people seemed in favour of it..

• There is some wisdom in not being openly evil, I suppose.

An alternative solution that keeps realism, keeps things evil and gritty, but slows the opposing forces, is to be locked and uncommunicative. People vow on their lives not to say anything about Arnath. Geased, even… If they fail to take the vow and accept the geas, they can't leave the city (this is to allow us to realistically pretend we have commoners and such, as issuing as geas to -every- citizen would be a bit much).

So Arnath becomes this dark and mysterious city. The walls can be warded against 'detect evil' (I've been told by DMs that every jail cell in Norwick is warded against magical means of escape by spell weaver, so it's not like warding is a big no-no when there exists a powerful PC/NPC sect to do it).

Arnath becomes a mystery. The guards outside speak little, eluding nothing of the city's true nature. People that live there and leave are bound to say nothing of it to non-members. Not even hint that they live there.

I dunno, maybe I'm making no sense... But... Whatever.

• And you weren't around when Arnath first got started. By being the "evil city" we had constant spies down in Arnath (that spied on it by some boderline abusive of the stealth system/invisibility), metagaming, and other fun things like that.

The Gypsy Camp was and is different from Arnath. Comparing them is like comparing an apple to a gerbil. While both are tasty treats to eat 😉 they aren't the same thing. Arnath WAS started as a haven for evil, but there are people who are neither good nor evil, but might have reason to live or be in Arnath. What's more, if we become an openly evil town, we'll just get MORE spies, not less. We'll have more metagaming, and get more general crap from (some of) the good players. Being someone who visits Arnath will again become a reason for the good people to give you trouble. I personally don't want to deal with that again.

• I agree….no nuetral front.

• Was anyone ELSE around during the Narfell witch hunts at the Gypsie camp?

An open policy doesn't work for evils. It's been tested and it failed. If you go back real far in the old suggestion posts you'll see the main purpose for having built Arnath to begin with was so that the EVIL community had a place to call home, and be safe from constant harrasment from the upworld, not as another neutral ground they can come and mandate at their leisure.

The only thing keeping a locked evil city from working is the lack of players playing evil characters. The reason few play evil in Narfell is because it can sometimes be less painful to lay a duck egg than try to be genuinely evil here, BUT, if we are all willing to keep trucking for it, evil WILL have it's own EQUAL place in Narf one day….anyway I'm not saying we lock it only to evils. Evils and neutrals is totally fair, but the "do-gooders" have to be kept out or the whole city becomes pointless.

• I'm all in favour of openness. But I'd urge anyone who plans to do anything like visit and betray Arnath to topside not to whine OOC if their character ends up very dead, very quickly. It looks like Arnath is tolerated to some extent by some powerful folks topside.

Also, there are consequences to really upsetting people who have less compunctions about following fluffy morality. Arnath is there as a representation of something bigger, just like the great port city of Peltarch could have more than 2 boats dock there, or more than 20 houses.

So yeah, come one, come all you dodgy outcast folks.

• Nope, lock the city and you stop people visiting which limits rping, which will make no one stay in the city. because why stay in the city if you can only rp with just arnath citizens. And as we have seen it hard to get people to stay an Arnath citizen. I mean who would stay in Pelt if only Pelt citizens could go there? You will go where the most people are to rp. Keep the main parts open to the publice, and have the areas only citizens can get to, like the GC.

• Still watches the thread.

• I was saying that monsters could be added on the ends of incorrect routes of the maze… More incentive not to try to navigate through the maze unless you know the way.

• My fault. ONE pc on the council…put there because her dad is a large ally...is neutral. all the others are evil. The watchers are evil. Arar to my knowledge is evil. But yeah, sorry...forgot that one neutral. So i guess that negates the entire statement...

• hmm. Arnath should only be evil?? hmm sorry i dont agree.

Outcasts, yes!

Just evil..NO.

If arnath were to be just evil..then that would give the surface a good IC reaosn to wipe the place off the mpa for good….perhaps with permadeath to its inhabitats. As why would Norwick tollerate such a place close by.

No..best to keep it a town of outcasts...nothing stopping the outcasts from being evil.

As for being harder to get too? why?....then the low level PC's will find it hard to travel if they have to fight past monsters.

Sorry but i am a great believer in keeping major travel routes in narf free from monsters. to allow more freedom of movement betwen centres.

as for making the crypts a maze. well it is..sort of already but yes perhaps it could be added too a bit more to make it a tad more complex.

Traps? hmm i surpose they would be fine....

Contact with the surface??? why not?? just becasue we are outcasts...or i should say some of you are outcasts...does not mean no contact...i mean...shoulndt that measn that you guys should never go to the surface either.....hmm i can see alot of you getting upset if that happened...

Hm and this bit.,."Arnath is made, ruled and harbour evil people,"
    hmm actually not quite….

ok ok....i think most probaly know my feelings in general on evil PC's...((and yes i do have an evil PC..was my first PC in narf))

but i worry about Arnath becoming truely evil......

in fact if it was i would have to say that if arnath became truely evil...i would probably leave narfell...[shrugs] not that any would care….
    I have always been the believer in evil being predominatly the domain of DM's. With the few evil PC's working with the DM's behind the scenes....bah..i'll shut up now...i think most of ya know my thoughts on this already.

• You don't think the city should be locked? I think allowing it to be unlocked is ridiculous, unless you have the neutral front thing going and make everyone think we're just a peachy little underground colony.

But I think the neutral front thing is boring. Blah.

• We aren't talking about locking the city again are we?