Jonathan speaks

• _We have mourned our leader, our friend, Jonni
    though Jenni denied us the chance to say goodbye.

Now though, we must move forward. We must see to the future of the Camp and it's survival.

Now that Jiyyd has fallen to the N'Jast army, and the Peltarch defenders race up and down the Pass, I'll be withdrawing our Warriors to the gates, and let the Pass work itself out.

We owe nothing to those that have accused us, mistrusted us, plotted behind our backs, and yes…. used our blood for their aid in other wars.

No more!
    We will see to our own!

The gates will be locked and defended. We will hold tight within until this danger passes._

Jonathan looks to the gathered crowd, and waits for them to speak

• _Skald, I think you're reading too much or too little into my words.
    So for your convenience, I will define the Camp as the land we claim and the people who live here. Happy now?

It's my duty to protect it. From the traitors of Norwick as well as the N'Jast army that's about to come marching up the road.
    And I will do that. With or without you.

But please….. for my own edification... how was I to have been planning for the N'Jast army to come calling? How was I to have been planning for Aramuil to come demanding we defend the Pass, and then turn on us accusing us of doing it for our own ends? How was I to have been planning for Grag and Norwick to betray their friend Jonni? Right. Let me know. For if I have, I'm far more brilliant than my mother led me to believe._

• Jerr nods, reasonably, as William speaks

"So when the gnolls were on this ground They were the Camp? When all the other towns came to dislodge those gnolls we should have pushed them back saying 'no no no, I have an oath to defend this area and those who live in it?

William, I know you. When our friends out there are dying are you going to stay in this camp and say 'at least it is not us'? Do you honestly expect others to do the same?

Yet our decisive leader here tells me that if I do go out to help those I love I may come back to locked gates and be told I am no longer welcome in my own Camp.

Is Norwick being mislead and hoping for the best or are they being hit on so many fronts they do not want to buy any more trouble? Have they abandoned us or are we sitting safe while they protect us from the southern Bugbears?

The talk of slow decision in the past and the speed of those decisions is just a smokescreen William. A fast decision is not always a good decision. But I do not accuse Jonathon of making swift decisions. I am quite sure everything he does now has been planned for a very very long time.

But I ask a third time. Jonathon. Do you represent the best interests of the Gali and the Rom of this camp? Is your oath good?

Playing word games and avoidance with a skald? pffft"

Jerrs voice now rings out with all the power a trained orator can muster. By comparison any others seem weak and reedy. It carries to the furthest corners of the camp.

j

• William steps up from behind Shady's tree, dressed in simple clothes and a smith's apron as has been his wont more often of late

Things are getting ugly, and we can't depend on the other towns for aid. Jiyyd is gone, Norwick has done everything possible to undermine our standing with the other towns, and Pelt and Oscura could never be trusted.

Jiyyd could have avoided destruction and chose to stand and fight. The army that destroyed them seeks to rid Peltarch of the corruption at its heart in the only way someone outside Peltarch can - by force.

I say we guard the road against bandits as we intended to do when the towers were conceived, but we let the army pass. It isn't our fight, and if an army is the only way Pelt can be redeemed, then so be it. Nobody wants a war - and this one isn't ours.

As for "the Camp," that includes all those that live here. "The Camp" isn't anything more than those that live within it.

Jonni ran the Camp when he was alive. Sure he listened to the Elders (until he disbanded the formal Council) but when it came down to it, he made the important decisions as they needed to be made. No different now with Jonathan in charge. Not to put too fine a point on it, but given the Council took six months to decide on whether Gaje could have a wedding here, I can't count having one man in charge as completely a bad thing. We're going to need quick decisions in the days to come, to deal with threats as they appear, and the Council of Elders wasn't capable of making them.

• I think he is asking you why you keep speaking of "The camp" and not of the Romani and gali that live here. I have no sympathies in Norwick save that there are innocent women and children there.

Mercy should always be given to the children shouldn't it Johnathan? They are not to pay for the crimes of their parents are they?

leans against her tree looking rather still and quiet almost lazy

• _Go right ahead Skald. I think ye'll find that in the attacks we did not defend against, either the caravans were attacked closer to Peltarch, or were attacked after we brought Jonni's body back here. I'm a bit offended at the lack of grieving for the Warriors we lost.

Interview all ye like. But I'm beginning ta believe that while you may make a tent in the Camp, your sympathies lies with Norwick.

And since you're asking so plainly, yes. If you leave here to go defend your precious Norwick, and come back here while the N'Jast armies lay outside our gates, you will indeed be denied entry. I'll not risk the rest of the people in this Camp for your bravery_

• Might I ask a clarification? You say you are here to "have to see to the interests of this Camp"

Could you please rephrase that to be "The Gali and the Rom"? or is it that this Camp is something else, to you?

I have no home, no house, save here. I still travel abroad, that is the nature of the Skaldish Ways. Are you telling me that one day, when I come home to my tent you will bar my way?

And you did NOT speak to what the hell our guards were doing when the caravans were hit on our doorstep. Am I to go out and interview the guards myself? That does seem like the sort of thing a true leader of this camp might do.

j

• Jonathan is quiet for a long moment, a sneer of contempt is quickly hidden as a thoughtful look spreads

_You have the right to stay as well. Stay and defend your home from those who might invade us. Norwick forfeited it's friendship with us. I say again, they are on their own. If you wish to go aid them, that is up to you.

However, when the gates close…. they will not reopen when you decide to limp in.

As for Kara, I'd say she's merely protecting her own interests. I do not have that luxury. I have to see to the interests of this Camp. It's protection, and YOURS are my responsibility._

• If I don't like your actions I am also 'free' to stay and speak out.

The Rom and Gali have had a tradition of freedom and trade. Of allowing the people to make their own choices. You are now making all the choices for us. deciding whether our people can trade. Deciding what part we will play in the war. In short, you are kara'ing up everything.

You built the tower out in the pass for a reason, to keep the pass safe and defended and yet caravans are hit on our very doorstep. What were our folk doing when this happened? Where were our scouts and guards?

Jonathon, you have told us many things and your reasons for them and yet once the thing is done the reason seems to become a forgotten aside. Are YOU a Gali, a Romani, or are you some kara here to turn the camp into your own bedamned home?

j

• _Hate to break it to you, Skald… but there's no tradin' going on in the Pass at the moment.
    N'jasts army has it all blocked up.

P'rhaps Norwick shouldn't have been so quick to condemn us on the word of an elf.

As for Selene, she left Norwick of her own accord. She has things to see to here.

....and I'll say it again. We traded no weapons. Not to N'jast, not to Norwick, not to Peltarch.

If you don't like my decisions to take care of this Camp, you're free to leave._

• Star is noticeable by her absence, which probably means she's there.

• Arandor walks up to the gathering, with his longbow over his shoulder, carting deer haunch as if just returned from a hunting trip. He stops momentarily to listen as people speak their thoughts, beyond that he seems to mind his own business for now.

• belia is also seen around the camp listening to those that speak

• Tala leaning against a tree mostly unnoticed as she is skilled at being watches Johnathan's face at Jerr's words

• Jerr comes out of his tent and asks, disbanded the council of the Elders, yes. But were we removed? Did I somehow lose my age? (dear lords that would be nice)

I still have a home here. I still speak with the people and give my opinion whether it ids an official capacity or not. I still worry about the Gali and the Rom I ask the traders what business we will have with the gates locked. Why Selene is no longer in Norwick, why caravans will no longer come to us. I ask if weapons are still being sold to whom are they going?

I heal the bruises of the children, watch the borders and ask questions.

I am not part of a council, but I AM a member of this camp, like Dart was, like Jonni was, like Cera was.

Only I am still here

j

• _Celebring.

"Is that really wise? If they are to turn their full attention our way, can we really defend against it? It's a safe bet to assume now we are on our own."_

• _The Elders were disbanded long ago. Why bring them up now?

I will not hold anyone captive within the Camp. Tis your choice. But once the N'Jast invaders turn their eyes north, I will be locking the gates. We will defend what is ours._

• "What of the Elders? Those who have their homes within our land but fight the invaders in Jiyyd? Will they be allowed to return? Are we, the Gali who treasure the open road locking ourselves in and others out?"

The common folk seem confused, more so as they realize that Many of the Guards are not of the Old Families and seem to move with a stern purpose.