- FAQ Index - CHECK HERE FIRST! -

• Looks like they should be working. (Kallethen)

Hopefully this index will help:

Server Style Overview:
    Getting Started

Administration:
    Server Full or Getting Booted Issues
    Main Contacts
    Narfell World/Server Updates
    Citizens Token (CToken) Defined
    Citizens Token Required for Advancement Past 6th Level
    Requirements for Getting a Citizen Token
    Format for Players to Nominate Others for the Citizen Token
    Magical Item Creation
    Purchasing Houses

In Game Issues:
    Contacting DMs in Game
    Player versus Player (PvP) Rules
    Use of the Tell Channel In Game
    Death & Resurrection
    Resurrection Part Duex
    Use of Emote Wand for Dice Rolls
    Racial Languages
    Changing Camera Angle

Character Creation:
    SOU Features Not Supported
    Portrait Pak
    Subraces Allowed & Supported
    Background & Maps of the World of Toril
    Titles
    Already Existing Character Names on Narfell
    Gods of Toril and Narfell… i.e. Deities and Demigods
    Clerical Domains in Narfell ENFORCED (based on diety used during character creation)!

RACES: (Since forbidden and allowed races are not spelled out in one place? here it is in a nutshell)
    Allowed - Human, Dwarf, Gold Dwarf, Shield Dwarf, Elf, Moon Elf, Sun Elf, Wood Elf, Wild Elf, Halfling, Lightfoot Halflings, Ghostwise Halfling, Strongheart Halfling, Gnome, Rock Gnome, Half-Elf, Half-Orc
    Not Allowed (without a Citizen's Token and DM Permission) includes - Planetouched, Tiefling, Aassimar, Drow, Half-Drow, Half-Dragon, Half-Demon, Half-Celestial, Deep Gnomes, Svirfneblin, Duergar

CLASS GUIDES:
    Bard
    Cleric/Bard
    Cleric and Druid FAQ/Guide
    Druid
    Paladin
    Rogue

Other Narfell Places:
    Narfell Out of Game Chat Room/Channel or get the software here - (mIRC)
    Posting & Viewing Narfell Gallery (Application Needed to Access) on Yahoo Groups

• Oopsie… I forgot to add the edited dates... thanks Brain, er... um.. I mean Brian 😉 x42. And yeah GreyBishop... the gods overview was done once before... I think by Magi13... you may want to check the old forums before recreating the wheel entirely. 😛

• Kirby, at the top of each section in this post, please edit to add a line stating date last updated. Once I start porting these over I will need to be able to see at a glance which parts have changed when.

• I can work on the Gods of Toril and Narfell. 🙂 I have plenty of Forgotten Realms Source material floating around. I will get a list printed up to post first that specifies narfell's common gods (per the book - Mas and others should then come in and modify it or make notes) and then spread geographically from there.. once I have the time here soon. 🙂

• Just when I thought I was going to be able to pass the buck! 😉 x42

Seriously folks… if there are any of you out there that want to help out in this undertaking... send me your stuff... or just read through what is existing here and suggest improvements in language. DMs and admins... if I have made an error in the rules... let me know here and I will change it. 😛

• Ack… wrong log-in! Ignore me... I am not here. ::poof::

• Kirby, I wouldn't dream of taking this away from you. To be quite honest, I have little enough time available just to play, if I started something new I would never log on at all. I was just going to be working on moving what was already there to the FAQ section on the front page where everyone could find it. Thanks for taking the effort for this.

• Obviously still a LOT of filling and editing to do… but that's what I've got so far. Any one that wants to write some of this stuff... contact either me or BrianJ or Lisara or RaDSaM. 😉 x42

• last edited: Dec 30, 2003

Campaign Background
    Background Non-Player Characters of Note
    History of Narfell
    Starting Areas Information

• last edited: Jan 30, 2004

Character Creation
    Races & Subraces (supported/illegal)
    Allowed - Human, Dwarf, Gold Dwarf, Shield Dwarf, Elf, Moon Elf, Sun Elf, Wood Elf, Wild Elf, Halfling, Lightfoot Halflings, Ghostwise Halfling, Strongheart Halfling, Gnome, Rock Gnome, Half-Elf, Half-Orc

Not Allowed (without a Citizen's Token and DM Permission) includes - Planetouched, Tiefling, Aassimar, Drow, Half-Drow, Half-Dragon, Half-Demon, Half-Celestial, Deep Gnomes, Svirfneblin, Duergar

The reasoning behind the restrictions? This is an RP server. And that is where they try to stress stretching your talents and REALLY get into your character. Yes, this is a fantasy enviroment, BUT… even RPing someone that is the same species as you are in real life is difficult enough. Tack onto that different times, morals, cultures, and a TON of background information for the world you are RPing in to absorb... even playing the same race is challenging.

Now try to play one of the allowed races that have a LOT of comparative examples and also have a lot of resources to allow a player to be consisitent in role playing how that race would act in most circumstance (even within the broad range of personalities that make up a specific race or culture).

Finally, take a race that is so different from the human template and expect the player to convincingly and consistently play within the confines of an extremely alien template. THAT is why the DM team has put this rule in place. Once you have proven that you can play the role of some of the more standard race templates will they allow you to stretch your RPing muscles a bit more in one of the more alien races.

Using Quickslots to Make a Macro Emote
    Right-click on an empty quickslot.
    Choose "Custom Text Macro" (at the top of the circle).
    Enter a short label - this will appear in the quickslot.
    Enter a text string command, e.g. "/tk Hello" will spit out Hello in the talk channel of the game.

Commands for the talk channel are prefixed with /tk
    Commands for the whisper channel are prefixed with /w
    Commands for the DM channel are prefixed with /dm

Other hint: If you write up the command in a text editor (such as Notepad or Word) you can copy a longer string of text than what you can enter while in the game engine. Simply write it up in your text editor, copy the text you wrote (making sure to include the prefixes listed above) and then hit CTRL-V while in the Command Field of the Custom Macro Text that you are working on. Overwise, the text string is limited in length of characters allowed.

On Playing Evil Characters

Titles
    General titles I found in general for all classes, callings, occupations, etc…

Acolyte, Adept, Advocate, Ahlen, Alchemist, Apothecary, Apprentice, Arcane Lady, Arcane Lord, Arcane Master, Arcane Mistress, Arcane Warrior, Arcanist, Archivist, Archmage, Archmagess, Archon, Armorer, Astrologist, Astronomer, Attendant, Auctioneer, Augur, Auspex, Balladeer, Bandit, Barbarian, Bard, Battle Chanter, Battle Empath, Battle Mage, Battle Magess, Battle Rager, Beast, Beseecher, Beserker, Bladesinger, Blood Dancer, Blood Seeker, Bonesetter, Brawler, Brigand, Broker, Brother, Brute, Buffoon, Burglar, Busker, Cabalist, Campaigner, Caregiver, Caretaker, Celebrant, Champion, Chandler, Chandler , Channeler, Chaosbringer, Chieftan, Chronicler, Clairvoyant, Cleric, Composer Savant, Conjurer, Conqueror, Contemplator, Counselor, Courier, Crier, Cutpurse, Dancer, Death Dealer, Defender, Defier, Deputy, Determinist, Determist, Devout, Disciple, Divine Knight, Divine Soldier, Diviner, Docent, Doomsayer, Dreadnought, Dreamer, Dreamweaver, Drifter, Duelist, Elder, Elemancer, Elementalist, Elementress, Empath, Empaths, Enchanter, Enchantress, Enforcer, Enlightened, Entrepreneur, Entropist, Evoker, Explorer, Faithful, Fanatic, Far Seer, Farceur, Fatalist, Fatebound, Father, Fencer, Feral, Field Medic, Fighter, Financier, Footpad, Forester, Fortune Teller, Fortuneteller, Friar, Furrier, Fury, Gadabout, Gladiator, Grace, Grandmaster, Grandmistress, Grappler, Grunt, Guard, Guardian, Gypsy, Harbinger, Harlequin, Harmony Rider, Healer, Healer Adept, Hedgewizard, Herald, Herbalist, Hermit, Hierarch, Hierophant, High Priest, High Priestess, Historian, Holy Mage, Holy Scholar, Humorist, Hunter, Huntress, Hypnotist, Illusionist, Impaler, Incanter, Indoctrinator, Initiate, Intercessor, Jester, Jokester, Jongleur, Journeyman, Journeywoman, Juggernaut, Justicar, Justiciar, Kaith Partani, Kirmiko, Knight- Errant, Knight Magister, Knight Magistra, Knight-Errant, Lady , Lady Marshal, Lapidary, Laureate, Legionnaire, Lightcrafter, Locksmith, Lookout, Lord, Lord Marshal, Lore Keeper, Luminary, Lunarian, Madame, Matron, Maelstrom, Maestro, Mage, Magess, Magister, Magistra, Magnate, Marauder, Mariner, Marshal, Master, Master Bard, Master Empath, Master Fool, Master Healer, Master Poet, Master Thief, Matriarch, Mauler, Mediator, Medic, Medium, Mender, Mentalist, Mercenary, Merchant Prince, Mercy, Mesmerist, Minion, Minstrel, Mogul, Moneylender, Monk, Moon Mage, Mother, Mountaineer, Myrmidon, Mystic, Myth Weaver, Neophyte, Nepenthe, Nightblade, Nightmaster, Numinist, Omen Speaker, Oracle, Oragatha, Oragetha, Orator, Outlaw, Overlord, Page, Paragon, Pathfinder, Patriarch, Patron, Patron , Peddler, Peon, Peregrin, Phantom Bane , Philosopher, Physician, Pilferer, Pillager, Pioneer, Pious, Plunderer, Poet, Prankster, Preacher, Predictor, Prelate, Prestidigitator, Priest, Priestess, Prophet, Prophetess, Protector, Prowler, Psychic, Pugilist, Queen, Raider, Ranger, Ravager, Reaver, Recluse, Reeve, Researcher, Restorer, Reveler, Reverant, Robber, Rogue, Roughneck, Ruffian, Sacred Herald, Sacristan, Sage, Sanchiren, Satirist, Savage, Savant, Scholar, Scop, Scourge, Scout, Scribe, Seeker, Seer, Sellsword, Sensitive, Sentinel, Shadebringer, Shadow, Shadow Master, Shadow Mistress, Shaman, Sharper, Sigilist, Sister, Sir, Skald, Skirmisher, Skullcrusher, Slayer, Sneak, Sojourner, Solace, Soldier, Songsmith, Songsworn, Sonus Sunderer, Soothsayer, Sorrower, Soul Magus, Soul Reaver, Spell Singer, Spell Slinger, Spellsword, Spirit Guide, Spirit Healer, Spirit Weaver, Stalker, Stargazer, Storyteller, Strife, Student, Summoner, Sunderer, Supplicant, Survivalist, Swashbucker, Swashbuckler, Sword Mage, Sympath, Tale Singer, Taleweaver, Teacher, Teamster, Telepath, Telo'Getha, Telo'Getha, Tempest, Tenderfoot, Thaumaturgist, Theorist, Theosophist, Thespian, Theurgist, Thief, Thug, Tracker, Trader, Trader , Trailmaster, Traveler, Troubadour, True Bard, Vagabond, Valkyrie, Vanquisher, Venerable, Veteran, Vicar , Vigil Keeper, Visionist, Wanderer, War Chief, War Dancer, War Drummer, War Hawk, War Monger, Warden, WarLord, Warrior, Warrior Mage, Warrior Poet, Warrior Priest, Watcher, Wayfarer, Weaponsmith, Wizard, Wizardess, Wordsmith, Worshipper, Woundbearer, Wraith, Wrangler, Yegg, Zealot

Already Existing Character Names on Narfell
    Gods of Toril & Narfell
    Changing &/or Rebuilding Characters

• last edited: January 30, 2004

Gaming Tips
    Gaming Style of Narfell
    Changing Camera Angle

Server Style & on having Fun
    1) Slow Down - Many new players spend much of their time running all over the place. They run from NPC to NPC completing quests, from town to the goblin warrens to the store and back again (assuming they survive) and running from place-to-place within town. Unless there is an angry mephit or mini-orc horde chasing you, slow down and check out your surroundings. It is amazing what you can hear or observe just be moving through town at a walking pace, instead of a running pace. Have a seat on one of the benches by the well, at a table in the tavern or by the ever popular Southgate fire. Watch who comes and goes, see who interacts with who (and how) and listen to what they say. I have run across many adventure hooks or learned juicy bits of information just by slowing down and hanging out. Remember, the XP will still be there 15 or 20 minutes later.

2) Talk to People – Both in-character (IC) and out-of-character (OOC). Don’t just run up to someone and ask them to go “kill goblins” with you the moment you meet them. Spend 5 minutes of playing time getting to know them before running off into the woods with them…for all you know, they might run at the first sign of combat, then slink back to loot you after you are dead (don’t laugh, I have seen it happen). Don’t be afraid to approach other PCs and ask for help…where to go, what to do, what areas to avoid. This can be done both IC and OOC. If your PC is talking to a seasoned adventurer, send them a “Tell” and ask some questions…most Narfell vets will be more than happy to give you some pointers. Instead of hitting another PC up for spare cash (“Alms for the Poor”), see if you can run an errand or perform a service in return for some spare coins or surplus equipment. Many will respond positively and it enhances the overall RPing on the server. Most other Narfellians are all too happy to help. If you are really lost, contact a player guide (see this post: http://www.black-flag.com/nwnforum/viewtopic.php?t=3160 ).

3) Find a Patron – One of the best ways to “get places” in Narfell (IMHO) is to find a patron…a more powerful and/or well-connected character that you can interact with for fun, profit and advancement. This can either be a formal or informal arrangement. You could apprentice yourself to a mage from Spellweaver keep, be a squire to a fighter or knight or be an acolyte to a more powerful cleric of your (or an allied) faith. In return for carrying messages, running to fetch gear, providing healing services or other interactions – you receive protection, some monetary reward and someone to stave off the bandit horde on a trip from Norwick to Jiyyd! An excellent way to do this, particularly for strong PCs, is to hang-out at the crafting guild and offer to be an apprentice, porter and/or laborer (depending on craft skill) for a miner or woodcutter. Many crafters will pay nice coin for help transporting raw materials and the higher quality ores and woods often mean an expedition into the wilds for fun and adventure.

4) Find Some Trustworthy Companions – Find 2-4 other PCs you can count on through thick and thin. Ideally, they are PCs that are within 1-2 levels of your own level, so you can advance through Narfell together. In addition, Narfell is a very difficult place to solo in. It’s possible, if you are either very lucky or very tough, but it sure helps to have a friend or two that can drag your carcass back for healing or raising. That said, don’t be afraid to group with higher level PCs when traveling through dangerous areas (the Far Eastern/Western Goblin Woods, the Nars Pass on the way to Peltarch, etc). Even if you aren’t gaining XP, you are showing the power brokers in Narfell what you can do and you might get some good loot as well. Some of Arashika’s most memorable adventures are ones in which she didn’t earn any XP from combat…but made great contacts, learned more about Narfell and picked up a nice item or three.

5) Don’t Be a Powerlooting Munchkin – When you do adventure with others, especially if you have just joined the group, don’t race to loot every fallen foe. Few things put a sour taste in the mouth of many Narfellians faster than someone who is clearly out for themselves with little regard to the contributions of their fellow party members. If you are a powerlooter, then don’t be surprised when you get “frozen” out of adventuring parties or find that other PCs don’t want to deal with you. If you find something your PC can’t use, ask around to see if another PC can use it before running to Frago’s to sell it.

6) Role-Play – This may sound like a no-brainer, but one role-playing xp award is worth more than 50 goblin shorties! Role-play in large groups, role-play in small groups, role-play when you are all alone - you never know when a DM might be watching! If you have a familiar or animal companion, that is a great opportunity to role-play when alone. Try to pick 3 or 4 mannerisms or sayings that make your PC unique, then use the custom macro/hot key buttons to assign them and save typing time. Stay true to your character. If your PC hates half-orcs, tell Arashika to stuff it. If you are a druid sworn to protect the woodlands, tell loggers to take a hike. If you are a pacifist priest, don’t engage in combat and say a prayer over fallen bandits as well as your own companions. Watch PCs whose players have C-tokens and observe how they interact with their environment – you can’t help but pick up some pointers.

7) Give Back to the Community – Once you have a few levels under your belt and know the lay of the land, give something back. If you see someone who is obviously new running around without a clue, send them a “tell” and ask if you can help or if they need any pointers. If your alignment and personality dictate, take a newcomer under your wing and help them out…offer to show them around town or introduce them to some potential adventuring partners. Remember what it was like your first 3 or 4 sessions on Narfell. Sometimes, the person you are trying to help will ignore you or blow you off, but don’t let that dissuade you for helping out in the future. Those that don’t listen or accept help are soon no more than dropped bags in the wilderness !

8 ) Read the Message Boards – I am always amazed at the number of people who play Narfell and whose shadow has never darkened the message board’s doorway. There is a wealth of IC and OCC info on the boards that can truly enrich your Narfing experience…try it, you’ll like it!

Background & Maps of the World of Toril
    Metagaming & Powergaming
    Racial Languages

Narfell Differences
    XP System & Partying
    Role Playing XP (RP XP)
    SoU & Haks
    HCR Traps & Locks (Search Tool)
    Tracking Tool
    Healing Items Use
    Crafting System (ATS/MTS/CNR)
    Emote Wand

Communications
    Main Contacts out of Game
    DM Channel Use (In Game)
    Tell Channel Use (In Character)

Guidelines Forum Use

1. Please refrain from excessive use of profanity and vulgarity.
    2. Respect the other members of this community.
    3. Make sure your new post is going into the correct forum for its content and purpose.
    4. If you have any problems, please contact a Moderator or the Admin.
    5. Use the Search tool and help reduce the number of repetitive threads on the same topic.
    6. Use Thread Titles that describe what your posts pertain to.
    7. Avoid spamming on threads with pertinent topics and/or IC threads
    8. Use the Forum Issues folder to post Forums Bugs and/or suggestions
    9. Contact Crucible or RaDSaM for further information or issues

Narfell Chat room (mIRC)
    Yahoo Groups Gallery (Application Needed to Access)

Rules
    Note: There are exceptions to every situation. These are guidelines only. Do not attempt to circumvent or find loop holes in these Rules, as they are followed only by the spirit of the Rule… not the verbage. These Rules may be interpreted in various ways by the individual admins utilizing them. This list is not all inclusive. In the event that there is no Rule in place, the judgment of the administrator involved is Law.

Logging Out to Avoid Consequences
    Everyone has problems with their equipment and internet connections. If, however, you are found to consistently log out to avoid dying or repercussions of your actions, you will be banned. If you log to avoid a DM, you will probably be banned even if it is an equipment problem and un-banned later if it turned out to be an error. Logging to avoid a valid Player Kill permission (see below) being given against you is also a big no no.

If you need to log out and are in the middle of an DM sponsored event or partied with others that may be dependent on you to survive, be considerate… and communicate your need to log with as much advance notice as possible to those involved. Logging out because of extreme lag or in game bug is generally acceptable. You can always communicate to the others which your log out affected in the Forums or in the mIRC chat room, but ALWAYS attempt to communicate an unexpected log out to those it affected.

Player versus Player (PvP) or Player Killing (PKing)
    The server allows DM moderated PvP and/or PKing only. Since no two PK requests are the same, a DM may make a decision on a case by case basis.. In those cases, the shout will include the conditions which are relevant to the situation at hand. A note: Any PvP combat automatically notifies all of the DMs on the server at the time. Unauthorized PvP or PKing will be dealt with harshly.

1. DM supervision is always required with a PK permission.
    2. If you are attacked you have the right to defend yourself which includes retaliating against your attacker.
    3. PK permission will never be given if a DM does not believe the asking party has a valid reason.
    4. A brief PK request must be sent over the DM Channel in game (see the section on DM Channel Use for etiquette).
    5. Attacking with subdual on is still counted as a Player Killing attempt and will be treated the same as a PK.
    6. DM granting PK permission will notify the asking party only if their request has been granted (in chance of multiple PCs requesting PK at same time)
    7. Upon granting the PK permission the requesting party must wait for a DM to warn the server of a PK that may be taking place, example warning as follows, "A PK request has been granted with DM supervision."
    8. The DM will also send a shout when the PK permission has ended, or if it was unable to proceed due to lack of DM supervision being available to supervise.
    9. DMs will not answer questions related to the identity of the target of the PK warning or the PK requestor.
    10. Casting a spell on another player without permission can be seen as PvP attack. There is no difference between Slay Living and Heal for this purpose. The target still needs to ask a DM prior to retaliate against the caster unless in imminent danger.
    11. If you witness an In Character (IC) friend of yours under attack, you have the right to jump in and help defend them. Due to the difficulty to oversee a more than 2 players PvP, a DM can ask for a one versus one duel instead.
    12. If both parties agree on PK for each other and they have attempted to notify a DM (and waited for a response) at the time then they are free to do so, but must know that no complaints can be brought to the DMs if one was not there. Notifying as many players involved as possible is a good idea for everyone to be able to stay In Character, avoid confusion and false accusations during and after the event.
    13. Familiars: Attacking a familiar requires DM attention due to the Experience Point (XP) loss that comes with their death. You must follow the rules below once a DM has given permission to attack the familiar.
    14. Minions/Companions: Attacking an minion and/or companion must be preceded by an attempt to contact a DM & request the PK clearance on the minion. If no DM is found, then an attempt to find the owner of the creature and notify them of the attack on their minion must be made along with two (2) clear chances to continue to remove the creature. This attack against the minion is considered a PK type of attack against the master of the creature and they do have the right to defend their minion by attacking you. (This does not apply to familiars… note: a Hell Hound is a familiar... see above)
    15. If both parties agree on PK for each other and they have attempted to notify a DM (and waited for a response) at the time then they are free to do so, but must know that no complaints can be brought to the DMs if one was not there. Notifying as many players involved as possible is a good idea for everyone to be able to stay In Character, avoid confusion and false accusations during and after the event.
    16. Willingly giving KoS (Kill on Sight) on yourself is not allowed. Follow the guidelines above to avoid any problems with the players or the DMs.
    17. Concerning militia : Norwick Militia Members & Peltarch Defenders/Guards have special rules regarding PvP in and only in their respective towns. A militia PC needs to inform the DM channel of an arrest, but no shout will be issued. We require the notice so that we are aware it's an arrest and not an unauthorized PvP. Any area outside of their jurisdiction which is a PvP situation falls under the general PK rules. However, escaping capture by running out of town in a non-RP'd manner will have repercussions.
    18. Logging out during an obvious PK clearance on your character without both party's consent will carry an automatic level loss penalty. Logging out repeatedly each time a PK notice has been shouted to avoid "knowing" that a PK has been authorized against your character will carry the same penalty as above.

Death & Resurrection Policy
    When you go to zero Hit Points (HP) a shout to the characters that are on your screen will be sent out, it sometimes gives enough time for someone to find you and heal you (see Healing Items Use below). Sometimes you will stabilize. When you reach -10 HP, you die and go to the Fugue. Your items are stripped off and placed in a bag along with a corpse in the location where you died.

Various methods of being brought back:

1. Miracle: you have a 5% chance per level of being resurrected by your god. Keep in mind that when you are brought back, you will be naked. Chances are the thing that killed you will still be right there. Good luck!
    2. PC Cast Spells: PCs of high enough level may be able to cast spells to bring your character back, as long as a corpse is provided.
    3. NPC Cast Spells: There are NPC clerics in each town that can bring back a character for a price, as long as a corpse is provided.
    4. Soul Shard: Each new character is given one Soul Shard that can be used prior to reaching Level 2. The Shard will bring you back with 1 XP total and can only be used once. It disappears upon use or at Level 2, whichever comes first.
    5. Succubus: In the Fugue there is a Succubus who will return you to life and will take one level and then put you at the middle of the level before that. Thus a 7th level character will be half way between 5 and 6 after being raised by her.
    6. Raise Dead: Can be performed by a PC of high enough level who has a the raise dead spell and a diamond which costs about 500gp (gold pieces). A NPC Cleric can also cast the spell, but will be more expensive than the 500 gold and the price is based on your level. You will be put in the middle of the last level you attained. Thus if you are level 7, you will be put halfway between 6 and 7 after having Raise Dead used on you.
    7. True Resurrection: Only the NPC Cleric in Peltarch can perform this spell. It costs 6500gp and no XP or Levels are lost from this.

In every death you will loose all your non token items which are dropped in a bag next to your corpse, so you better hope there are friends who will pick up your stuff for you and return it to you when you are raised (see the subject on Looting of this bag from corpses below… also see the subject of Reimbursement in case the server crashes while your items are sitting on the ground)

There are no Resurrections or Raise Deads (commonly referred to as a Rez) given by DMs for bugs, lag, stupidity, transition problems, etc... Sometimes the DMs will issue a free rez if they made a mistake and killed you, i.e. you were sitting in town and they clicked the wrong button and accidentally dropped a Balor on you. They will usually NOT give you a free rez if you die on a quest or event. In other words, if you die, for any reason, don't plan on help from the DMs, use one of the above methods.

Exploits
    These are ban-able offenses and cover a wide range of topics. Essentially it is finding a loop hole or game unbalancing situation and taking advantage of it instead of reporting it (privately) to an Admin or DM.

An example exploits is “farming” (doing over and over again repeatedly) specific monsters that have had XP gains that have obviously been out of whack with the risks needed to kill the monster. Same with the gaining of items and gold that are the result of taking advantage of what is essentially a bug in the module. Another example would be taking advantage of Server restarts for personal gain.

This is common sense and it is obviously a judgment call, but generally, an exploit is something that you would not do if you knew a DM or Admin was watching to make gains in power or resources. And as a note on reporting what you believe to be an exploit that you have located, please do not post it on the public forums but communicate the issue to an admin/developer/player guide/player lead or DM privately.

Twinking
    A ban-able offense which involves passing items from one characters to another, in any manner, including using an intermediary; giving people equipment for any OOC (Out of Character) reason, including OOC relationships or interactions with a player's "other characters". Additionally, coming up with background stories where two of a player’s characters are related or share items, or have left their items willed to one another is unacceptable as well. If you need to accomplish an OOC exchange with ANYONE for ANY reason… call a DM and have them witness it after explaining the situation where an OOC trade is required, other wise… you are guilty until proven innocent.

Reimbursement of XP/gold/items
    Generally it is not done unless a DM witness the bug or circumstance that caused the loss… or if a screen shot is taken that conclusively shows the bug and the loss.

We can all sympathize with players that have lost time spent improving their characters, especially when it occurs through no fault of their own, but the sheer amount of these requests to the admins and DMs is overwhelming. They are here to play with everyone, not to be customer service to for the community. And so to be fair to everyone, there is a general blanket policy of refusing such requests, again unless the proof is given.

Looting
    This is a touchy subject since it involves the way a player RP’s their character. In general, if your PC would do it, it is okay. There are a few exceptions… DM sponsored events is one of them. If you cannot identify it as a DM sponsored event, you can usually tell by unusual numbers or types of monsters being spawned and lots of PCs dying.

When looting within sight of other PCs that may be able to see you, it is always best to emote what you are doing (even if you are sneaking or trying to do it unnoticed, you should emote that you are stealthing over towards a body or slipping things into your pockets after rummaging through the corpses possessions. If you EMOTE that you are sneaking, then other PCs should need to make a spot check to notice you doing it (unless it is an obvious situation… like they are standing over the corpse while you are trying to loot it).

There are also possible alignment repercussions, but since that is a choice of RP, it won’t be made into a rule, but handled on a case by case basis by the DMs.

In the case of picking up a dead party members items to insure that 1) they are not lost in a crash, and 2) they can be returned to the person once they are resurrected; the key to making sure there is no misinterpretation of your actions… COMMUNICATE what you are doing to those around you.

To prevent a looter from making a grab and log, you still need PK permission if you mean to attack them for their actions. The best thing to do is to make a note of their log-in and character name and contact a DM.

Pick Pocketing (PP)
    Pick Pocketing is currently crippled intentionally until the PP Tool is out of BETA testing. Machine Gun PPing (which is repeatedly PPing the same target rapidly and repeatedly) is seen as a form of exploit and will be treated as such. PPing large items should be returned to the character in an OOC manner by sending a Tell to the player and informing them that they intend to return a PP’ed item that should not have been taken because of it’s size or weight. There should be no IC repercussions from returning the item. Contact a DM if an issue arises out of the situation.

If a PPer is caught or fails in their attempt, they may attempt to escape, but their victim may make a dexterity (DEX) check with their emote wand (see below for it’s use) to attempt to grab the PPer. A DEX check is then made by the PPer to try to beat the victim’s roll. If the victim succeeds in the opposing DEX check they then make an opposing strength check to attempt to hold onto the PPer. If both succeed, the PPer must NOT run! Not RPing the situation can lead to DMs penalizing and/or banning the offender. Logging to avoid the consequences of your actions have been covered above.

Citizen’s Token (C-Token)
    What is a C-Token? C-Token stands for Citizen Token and is a non-droppable and scripted item that is left in your inventory to allow certain features to be unlocked for you characters.

Who gets a C-Token? Narfell was conceived as a Role Playing server. This means that pretending to actually be your character while on the server is very important to us. When things happen in the game, your first question should be, "How will my character respond to this" and not "How can I as a Player benefit" or "How would I respond to this". For more information on Role-playing, or RP as it is called, please search these forums for more information.

Narfell is a community, thus your attitude, your maturity, and your ability to contribute to the experience of all players on this server is important to us as well.

The Citizen Token is given to players who have shown that they can handle both staying in character and being a mature member of our community. Thus it is called a Citizen Token and not an RP token. See the section below on Gaming Style of Narfell for tips on how to best fit into the Narfell community.

Some other aspects defining who receives the C-Token are: 1) Helping others with OOC game issues; 2) Presence on the Narfell forums; 3) Involvement in the world beyond just gaining gold, items & levels; 4) Reporting bugs, exploits and not using exploits yourself; 5) OOC politeness towards other players, DMs, admins and developers.

Do I have to be a great Role Player to get one? Heck no. You just need to stay in character. Try not to use Modern Slang, try not to talk about game mechanics like Levels and XP. Stay away from OOC (Out of Character) talk such as talk about real world events and culture. As long as you do that, you'll be fine.

If you really want to better at acting out your character and staying in character (IC), watch others and see what they do that you like. You can also check out this excellent article, HERE

What can keep me from getting C-Token? Exploiting the game, exploiting bugs, exploiting design flaws, exploiting AI behavior- Those all fit under the category of Exploitation– basically taking advantage of the game to gain an unfair advantage.

The second big no-no is disruptive or malicious behavior. Bad mouthing players and DMs. Terrorizing players. Picking on Players. Anything that detracts from other players being able to safely enjoy narfell and have fun. While Evil does exist in Narfell, please be aware that there is a fine line between being evil and becoming a Griefer. Always ask yourself if your actions are going to add to the experience of other players or detract.

What is the process for getting a C-Token? 1) You must be nominated by your peers. The players are responsible for naming other players who they think deserve a C-Token. It is strongly discouraged that players only nominate their friends or people they like. It is suggested if you see someone who is a great RPer (even if YOU don't have a token) take some time out of your day and stop by the Nomination Section of these forums and start a nomination thread.

1. Players who are nominated are voted on by the DM community. We collect all the names from the nomination thread and bring them up for discussion and vote. DMs who vote NO against a player usually have a very specific reason and voice it. Things like exploiting and greifing is a sure NO vote. Disrespect of the DMs and other players won't get you far either. Once enough YES votes are in we close the discussion and mark you for a Token. The C-Token will be handed to you in game soon after.

Does it matter who nominates me? How many nominations do I need? It does not matter who nominates you and you only need one nomination to be considered for a token. You may not nominate yourself. I should also mention that logging in as a fake account and nominating yourself is considered bad form. This token is meant to show you can respect our rules, so needless to say, if you cheat to get a token and we find out, it will promptly be removed.

My name has been up for nomination for a long time and I have no C-Token, do you guys hate me? Nope. While the DMs do try to make a point to take a look at everyone up for a vote, some players we just don't see. One Yes Vote from a DM is not good enough, so things take time. Once enough DMs have seen you in action and are comfortable with you having a token to vote yes, you will be getting your token. The DMs love giving tokens and seeing the player light up, so as soon as you are voted in, you'll be getting that token in no time.

So if it takes a long time I must be doing something bad! So-And-So got his in 3 days! This is not correct at all! As I stated above, the criteria set means that a majority of the DMs on the team need to see you in action. This can take weeks! Those players who were fast might have had the benefit of being on the server 18 hours a day. The speed of your confirmation has NO BEARING on your chances of getting a token.

I'm still worried. What can I do to make sure that I'm not being voted NO? Send a Private Message (see that PM button at the bottom of my post?) to either a DM or a Player Lead or a Player Guide. You can find a list of them in the "Main Contacts out of Game" section below. The PL/PGs will contact a DM who will look at the private voting thread and be able to tell you if the problem is that you did something wrong or if you just aren't getting votes because no one knows who you are yet. We like to be sure, so unless a DM has seen you in action they will most likely abstain from voting. Most of the players who took a long time to get their token, took a while because the DMs had not yet seen the player in game.

Keep in mind, we want to make sure you are not exploiting the game and that you are staying in character as much as possible. This takes more time than a quick 10 minute viewing. Some DMs will follow you around for hours and days just watching you.

So if I'm voted no, that's it, Right? I should just pack up and leave? Nope. Of the few players who got a NO vote from us, several of them improved and the vote was reopened. They got their token soon after. Never give up, learn from your mistakes, and become a better player, I guarantee you will get a Token.

Now I've got my Token. What the hell does it do? A good question and this is most likely one of the more important pieces of information.

@51dea6c57d=The:

Get XP from combat after level 6 - That's right! In Narfell, if you do not have a C-Token you cannot and will not get XP from killing monsters after you attain level 6. You CAN STILL get XP from DMs through quests and as bonuses for RPing well.

Buy a house (or other structure) - If you have a C-Token you are allowed to buy and own property in Narfell.

Create and/or lead a guild – You can still join a guild, but to start a new one or lead a new or existing one, you need to have a C-Token

Request custom items - You can own custom items (see the Custom Items section below for a definition) without a C-Token, and you may even be given custom items at the end of a quest or by another PC. But request made by players to DMs for custom items will only be honored for C-Token holders.

Play a unique character – This is almost always initiated by the DMs rather than by players. Unique characters would include (but not be limited to) unusual races, abilities, and/or backgrounds that effect a character’s power in game. However, there are extreme cases where a player who is a long time member, and has proven he/she can be mature and RP a unique character will be allowed upon a request to the DMs and Admins.

I'm level 5, I better start working on getting a token! The token is not a race or a competition. Some players get it at level 1 (very, very few) some get it at level 6, many get it somewhere in between. There is no rush here. Enjoy the game, stay in character, help out new players, respect the players and the DMs, contribute in some small way to make this a better place and you will get your Token. If you haven't been acting in a manner that is conducive to getting a token up until you reach level 6 and THEN you start acting mature and staying in character, you better believe that its going to be a much longer process. Keep in mind, you CAN get a token at level 1. So start early. Hell, start right away. You should be a mature player without the need of being granted a C-Token.

I don't get any quests and people ignore me because I don't have a token! While it may feel like this, it is not true. The players have no way of knowing if you have a token or not, and DMs will not check if you have one before paying attention to you.

Can a C-Token be taken away? C-Tokens can and will be taken away if the player is found to be exploiting or performing any actions that would have prevented the player from receiving a C-Token in the first place.

What if I make a second character, do I need to get re-nominated? Citizen tokens are awarded to the PLAYER and not to the CHARACTER. So if you get one, you get one for each and every one of your other characters, including previous and future characters you create. Simply send a polite message across the DM channel in game, stating that you need a token for your current character.

Format for nominating a player is as follows and should be posted in the Citizen’s Nomination Forum found here.

@51dea6c57d=Subject:

Player Login Name (Character Name #1, Character Name #2, etc)

@51dea6c57d=Form:

Player Login:
    PC Name(s):
    City of Residence:
    Reason for nominating (Be descriptive as possible):

Finally some tips on making it easier to be nominated and receiving a C-Token:

1. If you have not been nominated, you should be asking why. And you should not only be asking other players… you should also be asking the DMs. You will get feedback if you ask. If you sit and stew in your own juices and not let anyone know that you are not happy, then there is nothing the community can do for you.

2. If you are truly suited to be a C-Token holder... the token won't matter. The point of the server is to ENJOY role playing; not use it as a means to be rewarded or an obstacle to overcome or a waste of time because you are not earning items or gold or XP from your actions. As soon as it is obvious that you have figured that out, you will be awarded a token.

3. If you are having a tough time figuring out how to get into your character, send a Tell in game to one of the player leads or player guides (listed in the Main Contacts out of Game below) and ask one of them to help you practice. And then do something that gives no benefit other than the enjoyment of playing a role and truly getting into the acting and characterization part to the point where it is a joy.

4. Ask for it a C-Token from your player friends. Players that KNOW that they are doing well, since they are getting plenty of RP XP, the community in general knows who they are, they are active both in and out of game, and most importantly... if they feel like they are part of the Narfell family... and they STILL do not have a C-Token... they should ask one or several of their friends that are elders in the community and ask them to nominate them. It very well may be an oversight (and more times than not... it is just that).

5. Finally, if none of the above works... it could be that the player's style is simply not suited for Narfell. Wether they realize this or not (or love the server or not) is actually secondary... if the community is not interested in awarding them a C-Token, then they are not going to do well on the server even AFTER they have this C-Token device.

Guilds
    There are numerous guild or groups that your character can join in game. Information regarding who these guild are and how to join these guilds should be found in character and in game. Many have class race or alignment requirements.

To start or lead a guild, you must be a C-Token holder, but you do not need one to be a member of a guild. Each guild is given a private forum that only their members and the DMs/admins have access to.

Each guild is allowed to have guild sponsored items that represent the guild. An example might be a paladin guild all wearing a specific cloak to identify themselves.

The main administrator of guilds is the DM known as Seraphaine. All guild requests for items, or guild houses or guild events got through Seraphaine.

Custom Items
    Player versus Character Abuse

Problems

Getting Booted?
    The Narfell server has 60 slots in total, but 10 of them are reserved for DMs (Dungeon Masters or Game Masters or Server Admins) and cannot be used by players. That leaves 50 slots for players. If the server is showing up as 50/60 or higher and you get a message that you have been booted, that means that 50 players are on and all of the player slots are being used.

You can possibly get on when that number is above 50 IF and only if there are DMs in game. Example: 52/60 is showing and 3 DMs are in game, which means there is one free player slot. There is no way from the outside to see if the slots are being used by DMs or Player so the best way to check is to attempt to log in. If you get the booted message, you know that there are no Player slots available, and you should recheck when you see the number of available slots drop by one.

Been Banned?

1. Don’t take it personally.
    2. Have patience.
    3. Do not post anything about your situation on the public forums. It is the quickest way to make the people that can help you out of this situation angry. Send Personal Messages (PMs) to those involved for assistance. You can find individual PM links in the Memberlist or for DMs in the Usergroup link under the Narfell DM drop down.
    4. Do not attempt to blame or find fault in others for the circumstance. Even if you feel that you were unjustly banned, hold your tongue. The admins of this server and site have not banned you because of personal reasons, no matter if that is what you think; they have banned you for a reason that is in line with server rules.
    5. If you were banned because a friend was using your machine and/or account… tough. There is no way for the admins to know that it was not you and your account is your responsibility, even if the banning offense was not your action.
    6. First, contact the admin that banned you and try to work it out with them. If you cannot come to some consensus, then and only then, contact Masume (see 7 below).
    7. Masume is the head of Narfell. He is insanely busy with developing the server and administering to a large base of Game Masters. Send him one PM explaining the situation as briefly as possible and then be patient. The less patient you are… the less likely he is to grant you a second chance. If you have not heard back in a week, send him another PM, or PM one of the Player Guides (found in the Main Contacts out of Game listing below).
    8. Remember that no one owes you anything. We are a community of friends and you have probably broken a rule or etiquette. Reversing a ruling on a banning is a favor and is not owed to anyone.

Character Gone or Bugged?
    Your character may have been wiped in the latest Server Vault cleaning. RaDSaM is the admin that handles this task and does the cleaning sporadically about once every season/quarter. Generally, characters that have not been logged in to Narfell for 60 days will be deleted. Send him a PM and he may be able to pull up your character file from backups. You can find his Personal Message (PM) link in the Memberlist. Do not post this request in the public forums. If for some reason you believe your character was bugged, post a listing in the Bug Reporting Forum.

• Sorry all… I had been working on the FAQs page with Lisara and RaDSaM and slacked off during the holidays. BrianJ, if you want to take over I will post what I have thus far, feel free... but be prepared for sensory overload... I was still trying to pair this down. Also, keep in mind that I think the idea was to replace the FAQ screens with this information.

• I will be working on getting all of these FAQs over to the front page. I will go one at a time, working my way down the index. Please message me if you have any updates to your FAQs.

And thanks for digging these up from the forums.

• Oops, missed one from the transition to the new forums… fixed now. Thanks! 😉 x42

• @4eb0a8aa19=Kerby:

Hopefully this index will help:
    Character Creation:
    Portrait Pak

=>
    @4eb0a8aa19:

Sorry, this Module isn't active!

[ Go Back ]

too bad, would like some up-to-date info about handling portrait files.
    Was this supposed to link to
    http://nwn.black-flag.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1199 ?

• You rock RaD! I am working on a FAQs listing that will eventually replace this one, so that we won't have to worry over missing links and underlying threads disappearing.

Sneak peek:

Problems
    Getting Booted?
    Been Banned?
    Character Gone or Bugged?

Rules
    Logging Out to Avoid Consequences
    Player versus Player (PvP) or Player Killing (PKing)
    Death & Resurrection Policy
    Exploits
    Twinking
    Reimbursement of XP/gold/items
    Looting
    Pick Pocketing
    Citizens Token
    Guilds
    Custom Items
    Player Abuse

Communications
    Main Contacts out of Game
    DM Channel Use (In Game)
    Tell Channel Use (In Character)
    Guidelines Forum Use
    Narfell Chat room (mIRC)
    Yahoo Groups Gallery (Application Needed to Access)

Narfell Differences
    XP System & Partying
    Role Playing XP (RP XP)
    SoU & Haks
    HCR Traps & Locks (Search Tool)
    Tracking Tool
    Healing others with Potions
    Crafting System (ATS/MTS/CNR)
    Emote Wand

Gaming Tips
    Role Playing (RPing)