Narfing

• Narfell.

Summer 2004 I played through NWN. One Friday night I decided to try it online, never having played an online game before. I picked the busiest server and off I went.

I’d gone through the OC with an elven ranger/arcane archer. So… we had one Elurial who ran around the place and died to goblins. Then we had an Eluriel who sneaked her way to death by bandit bird.

After checking the elven dictionary and gods we had an Eluriel Triallan’ravan who correctly followed Solonor (not Rillifane) and walked out of the Boarshead to meet Alexander Thromas. An actual character with feelings and emotions of their own! I was sucked in big time.

It wasn’t long after I’d written a campaign in which the pcs were to end up becoming ‘elf friends.’ I drew on that material for her home and the basics. She had a strong Tormish streak (duty, loyalty, honour, truth) on account of a Tormish paladin I’d recently played in pnp.

I played like that until the Sunday, when she died to Wald’s rats and some ill-advised dual wielding. By that point I’d realized that this was the game I’d dreamed of existing ever since Daggerfall was first described to me (as being a game in which you walked around talking to people as you did quests).

After that, instead of playing I joined and read the forums then went around researching and working up a full background and set of personality traits for her. I still have those sheets. "Alturistic Guardian Ranger" is up the top.

I was naughty I guess; she'd died and hadn't been raised. I'd remade her the same again. But I didn't know any better. The thing was that she'd made friends and I wanted her to keep them, and I'd already grown to like her.

‘Space’ Eluriel Triallan’ravan was posted to the forums in the wee hours of Tuesday night and made her appearance in game as a fully fleshed out person who wasn’t going to be doing anything to put her life at risk needlessly.