Sil the bard

• Sil, my first character

the beginning
    Sil’s creation was not planned at all. After growing bored of the NWN single player, I logged on to Gamespy to see what the online game was like. When I made Sil I picked female because I figured that a female avatar was better to be staring at than a male one. I picked elf because I was a noob, and noobs like elves for some reason. Bard, I don’t know why. The name was random name generator. Don’t ask where I got the description, it just came to me. I credit much of her success to her description.

Anyway, I logged into Narf because it had a good number of players and didn’t require me to download anything. I bypassed all the boring tutorial stuff and randomly picked Jiyyd.

The first two characters I met were Drelan and a halfling druid named Portia. When they first asked what my name was I shortened it to Sil because I realized no one was going to want to type the whole damn thing. They showed me around. I was hooked.

the early days
    I fell into the Norwick goblin hunting scene. When I wasn’t doing that I was performing in Peltarch where I could sometimes snag a generous tip or RPXP for performing little songs at the sundial. (Evendur was not a very personable guy, but he was, evidently, an appreciator of performance art.) Some of my earliest friends included but were not limited to Cike Millant and Vine Gelin and any of chripso's characters. Late night the Gypsy campfire was the place to be.

Oh! My first DM event: In the goblin woods a DM (pretty sure it was Raptor) spawned a sea of goblins on a few of us. I got away with 1 hp!

the Legion
    Jiyyd was usually abandoned but more and more I kept running into a half-orc named Wog around the place. Me being a bard I was like “Yay! Someone to stand in front.” So we used to kill orcs together. One time, we had nearly mopped the place up when we heard war drums! So we fought off like 5 orcs and the DM spawned like 20 more. Lucky me I had a wand of color spray, and we totally ganked like 40 orcs. But he kept spawning them and we retreated. Jiyyd was always at war with the orcs, but to me it always felt like me and Wog had started it. Wog and Sil were allies for a long time, and it was largely because of him that she ended up joining.

The Legion wasn’t always the elite disciplined fighting force it is today. Believe it or not, they used to have a reputation for rushing at full speed into large groups of dangerous enemies.

the Crystals
    It was a time of great upheaval for the server! Anyway, I had somehow been suckered into a plot that would turn Sil into an evil possessed half-elf sorcerer. I really didn’t have a lot to do during those days. I mostly walked around looking scary. It was the one and only time I’ve ever had cause to use charm person - Hi Archon! The other fun part was fireballing Sy’wyn and Lyte when they came after me. There was a lot of collateral Eastlander damage. Oh, also I burned the elf camp. That was cool, though I did have to feel really guilty about it later.

Kallethen rescued Sil (and the rest of the server) from that evil, evil plot. Solai made his first appearance here I think. Also, at the end, guess how we tried to kill the crystals? Singing. That’s right, we were screaming at them trying to shatter them while 20 million HD crystal guardians were swinging at us. Crazy, right?

the friendships
    I made a lot of friends and already mentioned, but some of the biggest influences on Sil were…

Standing out foremost was Sy’wyn. I know that he was a big influence on many characters and Sil was no different. They played off of each other so well. Sil was always trying to get him to lighten up, but he never would, as an article of faith. They were a great pair.

Lyte and Sil the best looking and deadliest duo in Narfell. Oh yeah. Legion to the core. Pete Rione was a lucky guy, getting to hang with us (and didn't he know it).

Sil and The Fool were lol. She always called him “benefactor” because of some huge tip he had given her when I was brand new. They had great times leading dances with magical penguins and killing warmachines when no DMs were on. Hehe. I swear we did RP it though, where do you think Spellweaver Keep got all its parts? We even made up funny names for them.

Raryldor and Aelthas helped her get in touch with her elven side. Rary saved both of our asses from a displacer beast. And probably a few more times after that. Rary had such a great dedication and philosophy that sometimes got him in hot water.

Grag too, Sil would follow him anywhere. And did.

All the bards! What an awesome bunch. Zyphlin taught by example how to look at Narfell as a living breathing world. Sil looked up to Eowiel. Nathen had style. One time, me and Nate snuck into the Eastlander place after the war. We were sneaking around and my invisibility wore off, RIGHT NEXT TO A FREAKIN LICH. Jerr too, even though he would be mad I called him a bard.

Drelan: Wow. There since day one. Sil and him were great friends, even if she did play a few too many pranks on the poor guy (and never gave it up, either).

Oh I wanted to mention Torch. He wasn't a powergamer, just misunderstood.

Melanie Stern… Sil hated her.

Kara and Khaya were like the wise super-rolemodels for every adventurer.

Hedia… lol. Oreth and Fadia, cool druids. Belade! Nalio!

Keira. She was like Sil’s dark side! They were fun to put together.

random, sorry it’s late
    Aw man there are a ton of other good memories too. The first (and only) time I went to the Lost City, a relic of some older forgotten build: deadly monsters and +2 scimitars (and like +4 longbows). Can you believe it that we actually wiped that place out because the monsters there had no bonus to concentration checks and Sil had maxed taunt and curse song. -8 AC!

Taunt got her in trouble a few times. Atol comes to mind. Oh man, that was a boss fight to remember. Meril saved the damn day! God if there had been no other reason to take that spell – Dismissal, I think – than for that fight, it was worth it. (I got 11 xp for Atol.))

the Shesae
    This idea took a long time to come about. It started brewing with Sil and Aelthas I think. Then we got Eluriel behind it and went from there. It was sort of a lot of work to start a guild but once we had good numbers and a regular weekly playtime, it was a blast. Glorious elven themed events every Sunday morning. We couldn’t have done it without LD, either. Even if they never do see a guild house, it’s still a great group.

Anyway, it’s really late and I just wrote this because I couldn’t sleep. Sorry it's so disorganized. Much love, YourCake.

ps. huge thanks to everyone I ever played with, and I hope you enjoyed reading this. 😄 I'll do one for Khy later.

• Didn't get mentioned but my second character came about from tells with ACake.. we had been chatting awhile and he mentioned he saw sil with a sister so basicly he came up with about half of Calia orginally.. was great fun for me to play here espcially after I finally gave Katelynn up after 42 deaths.. then we got a brother.. was lots of fun but not enough of it then we all drifted apart :(.. still miss you Cake.. and Sil

• Gives the honorary Bardic salute… ...And get back in game. 😎