Log of the Errant Cariboo Knight

• This thread will be used for periodic Cariboo Hunts, a record keeping of magic helm credit points, and IC responses from characters who join the hunts or witness them. All synopses will be included in this first post, as will a running total of helm points.

**BACKGROUND

**Myth discovered the nature of the Cariboo by accident. He found a copy of the "Creation Races" book and, scribbled in the margin, someone had added "the Dreaded Cariboo". After extensive research, Myth learned some of the powers of this creature: telepathy, powerful suggestive psionics (confusion, charm, domination etc), powerful evocations (the kinds that destroy small villages, or even towns for the more powerful Cariboo), low range teleporation around it's lair, flight, limited shapeshifting, and significant powers of illusion.
    No mean foe! And then Myth discovered one had laired in NARFELL! So the hunt began!
    In the process, Myth discovered a renegade Cariboo! By virtue of her goodness, she was significantly less powerful, but she took a liking to Myth and helped him battle the evil Cariboo.
    In the end the Cariboo was tracked to it's lair and defeated…but a recent occurance in the Gypsy Camp revived him, and Myth was brought back from the dead by a faerie dragon minion of the Good Cariboo (who dwells in the Rawlinswood...and may, in fact, be the self-same Spirit of the Woods).

This may have all been a plot by the Cariboo to become more powerful...and undeadified.

Anyway, Myth's back now and he's been taken down a few pegs by minions of the Undead Cariboo. He is constantly on the watch for mimics (carnivorous shapechangers that assume the forms of inanimate objects), a number of whom he knows were brought into the region through the Peltarch shipways and serve the evil Cariboo.

Even as he quested, Myth discovered the existence of a powerful artifact known as the Eternal Sammich. He now seeks the components of this mighty relic with his stalwart Cariboo companions.**

Things to Expect on Cariboo Hunts:

Mimics - inanimate objects attack the party! Chairs suddenly shoot acid blobs at PCs. A door lashes out! A roadsign…looks suspicious!

Cariboo confusion - The Cariboo can influence peoples' minds. He is adept at turning friends on friends. In previous hunts Myth instructed his hunters to keep their weapons peace-knotted in case they were suddently driven into bloodlust (usually phantasms that would make his allies appear as foes to him).

Cariboo hats!! - The Good Cariboo has given Myth a number of magical Cariboo hats. These are 'enchanted' to allow the Good Cariboo to monitor the activities of her Cariboo Order. She can see and hear all that transpires about them, and help them defend themselves against the evil Cariboo's influence. Provides random bonuses to those wearing the (brightly colored) replica Cariboo hats! A spell of protection here, a random healing there.
    The hats are rumored to gain permanent magical effects for those loyal to the Good Cariboo…

Adventurers present please post a brief 'thoughts on the adventure', both for fun and so I can remember who was present so I can award credits to your hat. I posted the ones who's names I could remember to spell off-hand. 😉 . Indicate the color of the hat you chose as well, please!

Cariboo Helm points:

(Pygmy General) Grag: 1
    Taira Satomi: 1
    Mara /* Shai'llyn / : 2
    Mirkali Vragnorich: 4
    Hikash: 1
    Old Zen'Tarr: 1
    Narfil Cudin: 1
    Uchi: 1
    Orc Man: 1
    Merin: 1
    Call Blackrose: 2
    Kara Du'Monte: 2
    Ethrun Lasinius: 1
    Rolan Benthur: 1

• @da079f79d3=attlen:

**EVENT MOOSEFISHIE: THE SAMMICH OF SEVEN PARTS

DM: nil

<insert tale="" of="" the="" cabbage="" might="" and="" eternal="" sammich="" here.="" wait…did="" i="" say="" cabbage?="" who="" puts="" in="" a="" sandwich?="" that's="" just="" insane.="" <em="">Mushroom of Might. 😉 ></insert>**

It began simply enough. A group of valiant and daftly helmetted adventurers following a short red-haired lunatic through the frozen wastes and packs of killer wolves to the village of Ormpur in search of Farmer Tom, the last man known to have seen the Cabbage of Might in order to begin assembly of the Sammich of Eternity.

The trip to Ormpur passed successfully. The Mighty heroes Squire Lilly and Squire Red Berry slaughtering many wolves, with a bit of help from some Myth guy and a few hangers on. The Song of Heaping Pleasure as the band was called (for that five minutes) arrived and spread out to seek Farmer Tom.

The Caribbo Knight found him and gathered folk together, interrupting Sierra and Nico's farming, to tell them that they now had to head North beyond Peltarch in search og the Mighty Cabbage.

Almost all the group scattered. Only the Knight himself and three Squires, Lilly, Red Berry and Onion Bard headed for Peltarch but there a new group joined them and they ventured into Polar bear and Manticore infested Lands, Past Ogres of great might and axe throwing, to search the caves for the Cabbage, for without it the Sammich would be….cabbageless.

The Party, desperatetly trying not to divide along crystal and non-crystal lines fought bravely and with great sharing and caring and generally getting-along-fininess. They slaughtered many ogres and fought through to the Giant lands beyond. However they found no sign of the Cabbage, only a small and un-tasty looking Mushroom, which the Onion Bard found in the Ogre Caves.

After battling many Giants and almost losing Mallis several times only to unfortunately accidentally heal the ungrateful wretch The Cariboo Knight paused to examine his ancient document again.

After much deliberation he realised he had been mistaken in his translation of the Ancient Cariboo language and in fact the valiant 'Song of Heaving Bossoms' as it was by then called, should have been searching for the Mushroom of Might. Cursing his bad luck it was Squire Lilly who asked the Onion Bard to show the Cariboo Knight the small and un-tasty looking toadstool which was indeed the fabled Mushroom.

Elated by their success they headed for home their pleasure marred by the death of Squire Red Berry to a literal tornado of Manticore Spikes on the way back.

• **EVENT MOOSEFISHIE: THE SAMMICH OF SEVEN PARTS

DM: nil

<insert tale="" of="" the="" cabbage="" might="" and="" eternal="" sammich="" here.="" wait…did="" i="" say="" cabbage?="" who="" puts="" in="" a="" sandwich?="" that's="" just="" insane.="" <em="">Mushroom of Might. 😉 ></insert>**

• BUMP

Seems there have been Cariboo sightings of late!
    This post should provide all involved with basic Cariboo-ey information.

Of note:

THE GOOD CARIBOO IS WHITE (like the Spirit of the Woods)

THE EVIL CARIBOO IS BROWN (like regular deer)
    (he's also undead, and significantly more powerful - fond of evocations, illusions, and transmorphications)

…and the Evil Cariboo is more than capable of masking himself in a "white stag" illusion.

Also, anything and everything I've said can be changed on the whim of the dungeon masters. It's a fluid plot and Myth is well-nigh insane so what he believes to be true may not always be thus. 😉

• Shiney Screenshots 😄
    ((giving link to save on post lag))

Myth Quest Screenies

• **EVENT E…uh...EZOOLA: JESSIMICA IN THE GNOLLS' GRASP!

DM: Gobbletom

Foul is the Dread Beast. Foul, and cunning. Learning of a hidden magicall dungeon deep beneath the giantspires Myth and a group of new squires battled countless gnollish hordes in a mystical land of stone and doors.

In the end, the search proved fruitless, but the Order of the Cariboo will not give up! Princess Jessimica will be saved!**

• **EVENT DELTA: JELLO WARZ!

DM: Kerby

<brief 'cause="" i'm="" late="" for="" class="">The Dread Beast in all his vileness used foul illusion to confuse the Norwick cemetary guards and sneak past them a horde of Ginormous King Ooozies. His intent clearly to create a new lair in the crypts, the foul beast had to be stopped! Myth, warned by the great and goodly Good Cariboo, gathered a bunch of heroes and, lead by Black Rosie the Guide of Doom, they vanquished all the oozies and restored peace to the land.</brief>**

• **EVENT …uh...CETA?: THE LOST SECRET VAULTS OF LIZARDIE GOLD!

DM: Ribsie, Vino, Gobbletom

A troupe of valiant heroes let by the intrepid Cariboo Hunter assumed the righteous title of Pygmy Icy Spines of Courageous Awesomeness and ventured forth deep into the Saurian lands, following a map that Myth had a acquired after vanquishing a hundred thousand million lizardies with his wit alone. The map, given to him by the happy departing lizardies, showed the route to a secret base of gold and they told Myth to "please take whatever you like" (roughly translated; it's hard to understand what those guys are saying). For some odd reason the saurians seemed hostile despite having asked Myth to rescue their gold from them…odd, until the DREAD BEAST SHOWED ITSELF! After rampaging and inflicting countless evils upon the besoughted group, it finally departed leaving only one dead and one dead-and-then-lived-again. The group ungrouped and then split into two groups only to regroup moments later under the name of the original group. They delved deep into a cave and battle hordes of giant lizardies that some called "trolls" and found a couple of shinies that were really neat. But it seemed that some foul machinations of the Undeadiboo (that's undead cariboo for the uninitiated) replaced Myth's map with a fake, and the secret lair of untold riches (that were in fact told, to someone, but not the general populace or they would be called "told riches" or "generally known riches") remained yet hidden from it's rightful owners who would use the funds to just and noble ends.**

• Narfil has more tales of the Cariboo. For a week now, he has warned folks that the Cariboo seems to have possessed a halfling member of the previous quest against the Cariboo's Doppleganger.

"The hin Theralisis has attacked me twice inside town when I told others about the threat posed by the Cariboo. He'd start denying the whole thing roundly, calling me a liar and insisting the Cariboo doesn't exist. When I continued to tell others of the mimics we found in Jiyyd, he flew into a fit of rage, kicking and punching me. He is in jail now, but I fear he's fallen under the spell of the wicked Cariboo, which more than anything else wishes the larger population to remain ignorant of it's existence…until it's too late. Theralisis was among those who challenged it last time, but having refused to wear the protective helm he left himself open to its influence. I fear if he is not made to wear that helm while he sits in jail he will only slide deeper into its control."

As to the Dragophantahumans....

"There was a cow first, but then there wasn't. Southeast of Peltarch we found some reptilian humanoids which were very aggressive. Myth thought they must be hatched egglings. If not, I suppose they might be more likely than spiders to be hiding them and dealing with human slaves. I suppose it will take more investigation....and more deaths."

• Glad I finally made it to a Cariboo hunt attlen. I was one of the foolish mortals that decided to not where a Cariboo Hat. So no points for me. But, I mean, C'MON… have you seen my hair? The hat would have to have been made 2 feet tall!! And I AINT messin up my DO.

• Hey the Beta event was a blast, till we ran low on players and I had to run to get dinner then run back to play for little bit longer to then only have to run to my grandparents house, but all the in betweens were a blast, the best time I've had on narf in a long time, and you could tell ti was gonna be fun the moment I was click killed before the event, that is always a blessing. BTW Orc Man aka Moe had a red hat thingamajinga 😛

• **EVENT ALPHA: THE DOPPLIEGANGER!

DM: Ribs

The Good Cariboo came to Myth in a vision. The Undead Cariboo had developped a new, terrible plot! A plot who's viciosity was only outweighed by it's cunningnessess! …ness!
    He recruited a dopplieganger from another region, and the dopplieganger was training the Cariboo's vile mimics to assume...NON-IN-ANIMATE FORMS! Indeed, a terror! It was up to the Cariboo Squires to handle this notable threat!

The heroes gathered in Fine's corn fields to organise themselves. After much deliberation they chose a suitably heroic name (The Pygmy Horny Stingie something something something...um...it was long! ) and the hunt began! The mimic-agangers were relatively new to their un-inanimate forms so the heroes used a variety of cunning tests to catch the elusive creatures.
    In the process of scouring Norwick, a number of regular mimics were uncovered and destroyed. Also, a number of non-mimics (i.e. doors, barrels ...a gong...). Also, someone may have touched the high priestess of Lathander in an inappropriate way.
    Throughout, the nefarious beast attempted to cause chaos with spheres of darkness, blasts of acid, and the depantsing of Myth!
    Finally it was determined that the beast was not present in the town of Norwick. The heroes ventured forth to Jiyyd to perform an equally thorough search...but the Cariboo struck as soon as they entered the gates! None suspected the extent of the Doppliegangers' training...as a horde of chicki-mimics descended on the Cariboo Knight and Squires! Even as the valiant warriors beat off the foul fowl shifters, the dopplieganger itself attacked, supported by the evil mind-influence of the Cariboo!

The town was awash in chaotic melee as the guards attacked the Cariboo warriors, who battled fervently against the fiendsish dopplieganger and his chicki-mimics! In the end the heroes were victorious! The Cariboo, much angered, drove the heroes from the town with deluded guardsmen but then left to return to its lair and continue plotting vile mechanations.
    The corpse of the dopplieganger was brough to the Red Army (Troff Legion) headquarters for examination, and the Cariboo Squires disbanded...with orders to be wary of signs of other mimic and mimic-agangers.**

**EVENT BETA: THE DRAGOPHANTAHUMANS!

DM: Andelas

Once again, the vicious Cariboo struck with guile and great menacosity! In the form of a hero of Norwick he ventured into Rass' cave and stoled her eggs! The Good Cariboo came to Myth and told him so!
    But this was only part of the vile plotamajig!

Also stolen were a shipment of elephant eggs from far off Calims-somethin', and a dozen young girls of Peltarch were abducted!
    The dragons eggs were transmomorphed with the elephant eggs and half were implanted into the bodies of the kidnapped girls. The fouly impregnated Peltarchians gave birth to scores of dragophantahumans craving living flesh and eager to do the bidding of their violent Undead Cariboo lord. They were set up to guard the slower-to-hatch dragophant eggs in the swamps southeast of Peltarch.

The Cariboo Knight and his squires journeyed far to battle the dragophantahumans, and the skirmishes were fierce. The Squires fought valiantly but one fell and the rest were forced to retreat. A troup of reinforcements arrived from Norwick but these did not believe the warning tales of the Cariboo Knight and some even refused to wear the protective helms! The Cariboo struck at them directly and many nearly died. All the eggs were hatched and all the hatchlings killed.

…all the hatchlings the Norwickers found, that is...**

• Mirkali can be seen from time to time, grinning as he pulls on his mighty and quite tacky green Cariboo helm from time to time as he runs into battle, which he refers to as his "Horny Helm", and runs into battle yelling battlecries of the Pygme Cariboo Brigade. He tells of the recent events concerning the Cariboo, and how Myth, even if he does seem quite off, isn't as crazy as he looks, for low and behold, the mighty cariboo do exist, with thier devious plots and thier corny riddles, much a like a certain movie, though no one knows what a movie or how a Python would have to do with it.

"Aye, these Cariboo just look like mooses… but they can shock ya... and command EVVIIIL forces, and even take over yer mind. I thought the lad crazy at first, but I was proven wrong. And at any rate, these adventures are quite fun... 'ow often do ya get tae track down a mimic and then get attacked by chickens 'avin' some super PMS, eh?"

Mirkali grumbles some, wondering when he'll get his purple helm with gold trim.

((Will post an added backstory later, likely this weekend))

• Ah yes, the frantic gathering of heroes from across the town. The hurried briefing of the dangers that lay ahead.

http://nwn.bhcnetworks.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-205

The fear that slowly sank in as we realized that nothing was what it seemed. Anything and anyone could prove to be an insidious foe waiting to strike. The desperate search to find the foe not kowing if the chair was a chair or an opponent waiting and watching.

Some fell to the paranoia and tsarted to see enemies where there were none or accuse the innocent. But how could we know? we swept the town from top to bottom, stem to stern but we could not be sure. A gong rang without reason or person seen to be near it. Was the enemy taunting us? Or was it some sneaky type having 'a bit of fun'?

And what cost that 'bit of fun'?

The fear grew, it was a palpable force, like the winter winds approach whilst you are at sea.

A cleric was in contemplation. Or was it a poor mimic trying for humanoid form? How could we test? She did not answer. Was it because she could not or would not?

We just did not know. Then Myth lead us to test other towns and the Cariboo Knights hit the road. We arrived in Jiyyd just in time. The evil imitators recognized the powers of our helms and tried to make a pre-emptive strike. A chicken flamed several of us and then they all attacked. When we defeated the first wave that drew out the local leader forcing it to also join battle as the second force hit. A fowl demon it was and as it ran we hit it and its eveil minions with everything we had. Some of the townsfolk finally awoke to find us panting and bleeding over the corpses of their livestock

We left

Quickly

But the Cariboo Knights will remain vigilant. We protect those who do not appreciate what we do. Do not know the dangers hade closest to theirs bosoms.

AND THE ABOVE IS THE ONLY MENTION OF BOSOMS i SHALL MAKE.

Old Zen'tarr wearer of the red

also Vortext/MND
    Maik
    Elyll
    Nars Skald
    and dozens of others, some live, some dead

Trust is a tough thing to come by these days Movie: The Thing, MacReady

• The elf Narfil is now seen wearing a red helm with antlers that does not quite become him. Though he regards it with disapproval when he removes it, he nonetheless keeps it close, and informs others that they could do worse than safeguard their minds at the expense of an ordinary, hornless profile.

As to what happened that fateful night, he too has his own tale.

"If I were a Nars Skald, I might tell you how easily disorder is sown in this town by those who seek to protect it. For one night, indeed, men threatened crates, fences, and corn stalks; Sister Rith of Lathander's Shrine seemed very like a witch; and some threw punches and drew their swords in the streets in a vain effort to keep track of whose honor had been wronged.

Not being a Nars Skald, however, I will dwell instead on the vicious doppleganger: a beast that can assume any shape it wishes, yet always retains it's evil cunning. It had found safe harbor in Jiyyd, where more complacent eyes kept vigil. While the farmers labored unknowingly, every chicken in town had been displaced by a bloodthirsty mimic eager to avail itself of Nature's feral arsenal: in this case, the mighty beak and flightless wing of the chicken. 'Tis lucky they couldn't just start with lions.

No doubt you find it hard to give this tale credit; and few in Jiyyd will confirm it, for they were fast asleep at the hour when we confronted the beast. Will you now think twice when you smack into a tree branch that appeared out of nowhere, or your neighbor acts a bit oddly? I doubt you will, for you have not yet met the peril that surrounds you."

2nd Gent: What, pray you, became of Antigonus, that carried hence the child?
    1st Gent: Like an old tale still, which will have matter to rehearse, though credit be asleep, and not an ear open; he was torn to pieces with a Bear.

–The Winter's Tale

• Legion

NICE work myth always a pleasure buddy 🙂