Chaevre's Thoughts

• The Pale Master

My good friend Darey Marshby said he has something for me, he wants me to help him with some research…Hes got a book, given to him by a man whos name I cannot remember, the book is rich with ancient knowledge . . but . . . unlocking its secrets is . . well. . lets just say, Darey could not bring himself to perform the rituals necessary to get through the second chapter grins
    The book has no way of opening physically, the secret to open it was known only by Darey and the books original owner, he shared with me that secret as well as the method of getting through a chapter but said he could not commit the acts necessary to go further...An Animate dead spell cast upon the book was required to open its pages, easy enough..
    The book instructed each step in the process of unlocking its pages, some were as simple as gathering mundane components, others, required committing acts of what many would consider to be evil smirks
    I needed the blood of a demon wolf, a rare and extremely poisonous flower that grows in the western lands of barbarians, the body of a human killed with negative energy. . . . .I had to to consume the blood of the demon wolf first, this alloud the chapters following to be unlocked, next i neded the flower, I am not one of nature nor lored in herbalism, Darey had one in his posession and he gave it to me as a gift for all I had helped him with in the past, the body was easy to get, an eastlander which I enervated until his heart could no longer sustain his weakened state, I was not fully prepared for the rituals to follow, so i had to keep the body with me until I was ready, fuck i should have killed a sneak, this guys bloody heavy, I keep him in a magic bag, over the days the decay starts to slip out and the horrid smell is about me, i get plenty of stares but i ignore them, those fools have no idea what im doing, they think the smell is myself, like im some sort of undead chuckles fools, perhaps someday, but not today.
    The final part is the most difficult, it nearly killed me, or maybe it did and I am only stronger for it shrugs the final chapter is unlocked and the instructions to perform the final ritual turn my stomach, now I really wish i had waited to collect the corpse. . sigh the book says ; three days you must be submersed in water, the water must contain the body of the one killed by necromancy, and the flower. the corpse and the water will nourish you, after three days you will be contacted by Gomorus and should he will it, you will ascend to Pale Master..
    so. . for three days I stewed, the water becoming poisonous from the flower, and from the flesh of the rotting corpse, i am forced to feed on this filth, for the first day it makes me sick every time I try....
    eventually hunger gets the better of me and i manage to keep it down, the water becomes so poisonous i can feel it bruing in my veins, i manage to resist the effects for the most part, the rooms filled with gas too now, possibly a reaction of the rotting corpse and the flower in the water, each breath makes me dizzy and i struggle to stay up, after the second day i can swear i see the corpse moving, he is staring at me now, and i see him move all the time, the poison is too much, it gets stronger and stronger with each passing moment, i can feel my life slipping away and feel my sanity fail each time the body speaks to me. . . the third day passes, ive lost my mind, i dont know where i can, the body talks to me all the time, the poison has taken its hold completely and i can not move, i think i am drowning but the corpse still talks and i listen, he tells me of my strength and my passion, and he says that he can help me ascend, but it will come at a cost, my body will be altered and it will not be something i can hide, people may lose trust or become suspicious, all this in exchange for a greater understanding of the art and of undead, i accept of course, then Gomorus takes me in his arms and for once in these three days i feel at peace, i fall into a deep slumber and the ritual comes to a completion. I wake up some time later and my hair has been turned white, my eyes black as the abyss, my flesh has become deathly pale but hard as bone, and the poison that flooded my veins now becomes a part of me, I can see through darkness, i am pleased, I am going to enjoy this..