An Old Tale, thought to be lost forever....

• This Story was posted first in 2003, as the tale was ongoing ingame.
    The posts were wiped during one of the many server moves….

but luckily, Tarmack still had a copy.

The Story of Killthorn Tal and Fade Foxfire

Her eyes shone like pearls in the darkness as he walked up to Vino's fire that night. The place he had not been in years….. So much time had passed, and he hoped his old friends would remember him.

Killthorn was recently returned from the city of Peltarch where he had set up residence assisting renovations and other such things in the Temple there. He had overcome the memory of the day his hand was lost, and due to the exceptional craftsmanship of Dimion in Norwick, the gauntlet he now wore allowed him to grip a blade once more. The day he told Daisy, the head priestess that he was leaving, was a sad day indeed for the temple would once again seem empty. The city itself could do without him though, he thought as he passed the gates watching the guards patrol.

She looked up at him with remembrance and a tear came to her eye as she quickly stood to greet the man she had not seen in so long. Almost sternly she asked where he had been, her old Paladin friend.

The Tale took time to tell, and he left out a good many parts some of which were not the most pleasant stories. And she simply sat and took it all in. She always had been a good listener, and after the tale was done and the tea growing cold, the two parted ways for the evening, simply glad that their friendship had outlasted the trials of time.

His memory was good, and the conversation brought sadness into his heart. She was so wonderful…. And always had been. But what could he have done? Killthorn was a Paladin of Tyr. So many years ago when she and he were good friends he had feelings for her. But his commitments prevented him from acting on those feelings. Of course it didn’t help that her love Aaramil he also considered a friend.

He didn’t sleep that night.

It was several days before he saw her again. But this time was a much brighter meeting. They sat by the fire drinking tea, she was so good at making tea, and talking of old times. She spoke of the recent happenings of the area, obviously leaving parts out but Killthorn didn’t care. She was one of the only friends he had left and he was simply enjoying the company. Her gaze and smile was enough to cut through the sorrow and sadness of the times in which they lived, and she was the first to hear him laugh in nearing a year. It was not long before night began to fall again, but rather than going their separate ways this time the woman offered to show Killthorn something.

The Hidden grove of the druids was held near to the East, and they had little trouble coming to it. Possessed within was the circle, and as they walked beneath the canopy, a few rain drops falling, a peace he had not felt in many years came upon his heart. A warm drink by a warm fire and soon both realized that it was morning again.

Her husband Aaramil had left for Waterdeep to see his family, but had sent no word and she feared he was dead. And somewhere in the morning light sitting beside her, Killthorn realized that he still held feelings for the woman of the Rawlins.

They had not slept that night

As the days went by, the spoke often and travelled together on occasion. Killthorn always out front, as he always was doing what he could to protect those he was with. But one particular trip of interest was that to the city Killthorn had returned from only a week or two prior. They travelled quickly through the nars. He, she, Equinox Stargazer, Meril. Upon reaching the city, Killthorn went to the temple to visit Daisy as he had not seen her in some time, and after his visit went back to the meeting place they had agreed on. He sat in partial meditation for a few moments hearing when the others arrived but remaining silent.

Barely squinting past his eye lids… he saw something that caused him such pain that he near became furious on the spot. He later identified this feeling as jealousy. Fade Foxfire, the woman he had feelings for, was exchanging glances with Equinox. Somehow he understood the intent of these looks. Killthorn was silent for the entire trip back to Norwick.

In the days to come Killthorn would continue to spend time with Fade, though careful in his choice of company. He began to fear Equinox, and at the same time couldn’t bring himself to do anything about it. Until one such day in the goblin stronghold. Equinox became quite suspicious during this excursion as Killthorn in essence treated him like dirt. This was a new low for the paladin who had previous been caring for almost all he knew, and such treatment did not go unnoticed. Equinox followed Killthorn after the trip, not willing to let him get away without an explanation. Finally the two ended up in the Druid grove, and the conversation began. Killthorn told Equinox of his feelings for Fade. He explained everything…. Though much of it had to be pulled from him as though he were a spoiled child.

Sometime in the glenn that day… something snapped. For the very first time, he knew what he had to do. “She must know…. I must tell her”.

He did not sleep that night.

When next Fade saw him, she knew something was different but he was very careful what he said near Norwick. Eventually they came to the Glenn and sat for Tea. His heart was near bursting, and his mind was full of fear, but knew that what he was about to do must be done.

“I do not know how to say what I need to say Fade..... “ Killthorn began, but by her responses she obviously didn’t understand what he was talking about. “He's a good man...... but I'm married..... and can do nothing...... “ she stuttered. “That’s not…” he stopped and paused staring at the fire. And as the two passed glances back and forth in the silence, Fade grew to understand what was going on. “oh stars.....” she said, tears falling unchecked. “You're my dearest friend.... I..... I could never hurt you.... and it seems I have....... unknowing, unthinking..... “ she continued slowly crawling over and hugging him as tight as she could. He could do nothing but whisper “Im sorry” over and over, while sitting staring at the fire, occasionally looking up at her. and slowly she replied “nothing to be sorry for..... not now, not ever......”.

As though a weight had been lifted from his shoulders, when he left the grove that day he had finally realized happiness. He had managed to, through no skill of his own, show her that he cared for her. His mind was clear, and everything seemed to shine as he walked back to the town of Norwick. Fade of course was still married, and Killthorn knew he couldn’t be with her, but the sadness of that thought was overwhelmed at present by the fact that at least she now knew.

But Aaramil hadn’t returned.

His Feelings exposed, conversation became difficult when around Fade. She was so beautiful in his eyes, and he could do nothing to harm her, and that often meant keeping his words to himself. Til the fateful day mid month, when Aaramil came up in conversation. She had made her decision. She could not be with another while she yet didn’t know Aaramil’s fate. But he had been gone so long….. was the only thought in Killthorn's mind. Many tears fell that day in the grove, and when Fade went for a short walk to try to clear the air a bit, Killthorn left the grove. His heart torn realizing the one person he loved could not be with him.

He had not slept for two days.

The Bugbear arrows and maces stung as he walked through the woods. But he persevered. His desire was to come to the Dire forests, though he was unsure what he would do once he got there.

He would not sleep for 2 days after

A scream was heard amid the trees, and the mans broken heart felt the pain knowing exactly what had happened. Fade had followed him, and she was dying. He turned on his heels and ran for all he was worth, near tripping twice as he bolted towards where he heard the screams.

The Bugbears never slept again.

The two massive creatures that stood over the body of Fade didn’t see it coming. Golden armour ablaze, longsword swinging. He swiftly removed their in a fury never before seen, and knelt holding his loves body before their bodies even fell to the ground. Weeping, holding her and feeling her last breath pass through her lungs….. He could do nothing to save her.

Tyr…..Tyr where are you….. please answer me…….:: he pleaded, asking as a man desperate:: Please no…… NO!!!!!!!!!!!!... ::The call would have been heard by anyone within several miles of their location, but no one came:: Tyr…. Please….. not like this ::he wept and pleaded::

And in the twilight of the forest, he made a pact. “Bring down the one called Marl, and she will be returned to you. But should you fail….. you shall fall…….”

Amid the tears and sputters of a Man whose love was lost, a single word could be discerned. “……….anything……”.

Covered in the blood of his love as he held her, he felt a shiver and movement in his arms. She was alive…. Alive again and given back to him.

It was some time before they spoke again, and once back in the druid grove sitting around the fire drinking tea, he spoke to her of his geas. The look of terror on her face as she realized what he had done to save her had perhaps never been seen on the face of the archdruid of the Rawlins. “I'm going with you to deal with Marl” She had said, adamant that he would not go alone. And there was little he could do to dissuade her.

A Silence came over them as they sat in thought and worry, their tea growing cold. Suddenly she hopped up from her sitting position to her knees, leaned forward and kissed him, causing his heart to leap as he sat in surprise, before watching her sit back down on the soft grass. The surprised look was almost immediately mirrored on her face, and quickly turned to embarrassment as they looked over to see the shining steel covered form of Amissa Lee standing at the steps of the grove smiling at them.

After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, they offered Amissa a seat, and began to discuss recent events. Killthorn did not tell her everything, but it was likely she discerned much. They spoke of the one named Marl, a bandit mercenary of the Eastland group in the nars. He was responsible for the death of many, and had as yet remained undefeated. The chosen course of action was to organize a large group to head into the nars and deal with this threat in a swift powerful attack. It seemed the perfect plan, until a day later when Killthorn and Fade got news that Marl had been spotted in the pass between Jiyyd and Peltarch. Not waiting to organize a large group, they quickly assembled those who they could and set out at a run. Kanen, Damarcus and A’lan accompanied them out into the nars.

In the dusk light, the companions ventured out into the nars. The bandits had left the road quiet for the night and travel was easy and uninterrupted. Killthorn’s mind was astray, thinking on terrible, sorrowful thoughts. What if he failed…. What if Marl could not be found in time, or even dealt with. But each time his mind returned to the one cornerstone. Even if Tyr withdrew his graces from Killthorn, Fade would still be there for him. He began to wonder why it matter to him so much that he complete the task, but in that wonder was a stinging in the back of his mind. It was what his entire life had been working for, the oath, the Paladin Oath he took so long ago. He could not fail Tyr now, he would not fail Tyr now.

The Bandit cave had been a known deposit for the filthy cretins that inhabited the nars. And as the group approached the cave they were very careful, but quickly dispatched the meagre forces outside. Passing inside they were extremely mindful of traps, but found the cave surprisingly empty. After some exploration the group came upon a balding man wearing a cloth tunic. He was quite arrogant and in answering their questions about Marl, they learned very little. Killthorn was becoming impatient quickly and spoke out above the rest. “I will challenge him then, if he is not afraid”. The balding man blinked a moment before turning and swiftly walking off.

It was not long waiting before the clink of an Iron shod boot could be heard from off in the cavern. Ever growing closer and louder til finally the group could see their quarry. He wore a suit of Plate and a Helm on his head, shield and sword at his sides. “Who is this that challenges me?” said the helmed man, to which was replied quickly and without effort. “Killthorn Tal, Of Tyr the maimed. I am here to perform my duty”. The helmed man tilted his head to the side and half growled. “So be it…. do not hold back”.

Killthorn dove at him, longsword whirring through the air, his golden armour shimmering even in the dark of the cavern. But it was as if each swing, swift as it was, was not swift enough. The blade darted around the Warrior Marl as though trying to miss him. He began to laugh and started swinging his own sword, each thrust finding a mark. First the left leg, then the left shoulder. Killthorn dropped his shield in pain but continued swinging, occasionally hearing the clang of metal on metal. But it was all for naught, and Marl quickly had Killthorn kneeling on the ground in pain, before dealing the final fatal blow. Killthorn’s friends could only stand and watch

“This place…. I’ve been here before..” he spoke gazing off the edge of a dark chasm.

A voice behind him spoke deep and rumbling, “This is the fugue Killthorn, you have visited it all too often”. “You have failed…. The task I asked of you in exchange for that woman’s life has not been completed and you are here now”.

“He was too much for me” Killthorn whispers out as he quickly turns and kneels. “I …. Have failed..”. “Had I not been so eager….. my friends…..they could have …. We could have succeeded

“They are calling for you Killthorn…. They wish you to return… I am sending you back to them, for I believe you now understand the lesson Marl taught you” Tyr spoke voice booming.

‘My lord Tyr…. She…. She has become everything to me.” His head bowed weeping. “I can no longer uphold the Oath I spoke before you…. I can no longer be one of your chosen…. Please forgive me….” Killthorn said.

The last words Killthorn heard Tyr speak to him echoed through his mind. “I know”.

Blasting light and sound took the group by surprise as the body held tight in Fades arms began to move. Sputtering and coughing, Killthorn looked around at his friends, each of them smiling down at him. He and Fade were held in am embrace for some time, finally helped out of the cave by the rest to get them to safety.

Killthorn and Fade spoke long into the night on the events of the day, often breaking into tears, but they were undisturbed and eventually the events of the world seemed to slow down giving them both time to heal a little.

The days went by slowly, Killthorn and Fade spending much of their time walking in the woods. The same woods that they both had walked for so many years. Time was standing still for the two and they were truly happy.

However, not all things are meant to last.

Killthorn was walking alone one day in the fall, just about to head out past the lake to go for a quick jog, when he heard the slight screech of a goblin in pain. He stepped through a few trees and peered out upon the scene, a man in heavy hide armour kneeling over a goblin chuckling to himself. The man looked familiar but Killthorn couldn’t place him, so decided to get closer and introduce himself. What he saw drove a spike so far into his heart he thought he would be split in two. The man standing before him was Aaramil Foxfire, Fades lost husband.

“Ahh Killthorn old friend, how good to see you… would you be able to tell me where Fade is? I have been gone for so long I must see her”.

Killthorn went completely silent and gestured for Aaramil to follow him, slowly walking towards the Druid Glenn where he knew Fade would be awake by now likely making tea. He couldn’t bring himself to say anything and simply walked, his heart pained and torn.

Her eyes lit up at the sight of Aaramil and she hugged him tightly as Killthorn watched from edge of the grove. He knew that it was over and he turned slowly to leave, before catching her voice calling his name. “Killthorn….. please…. Don’t leave..”. The tone was that of sorrow, as he turned and walked towards the two.

She tried to speak, but the words got caught before she could say anything. She simply looked at both men with tears welling up in her eyes. “I will leave Fade…” Killthorn said and forced a smile.

She quickly but softly replied. “but.. I don’t want you to leave…I…”. She looked at Aaramil and barely whispered. “You had been gone so long…I….we….”.

It was the look on Aaramil's face that was ever impressed upon her mind, the look of a man who had lost his purpose. He swallowed twice and stammered. “So…. You’ve…. Moved on. Then….”

Aaramil simply turned and walked from the Glenn, not listening to her calls to stay, and she could do nothing but watch as he walked. When he was out of sight she fell into Killthorn, crying and squeezing as hard as she could. He simply stood and held her quietly.

“I will find him Fade… It wont end like this” Killthorn said.

“No ….we go together..” she replied

The two passed quickly from the glenn, searching the woods as quickly as they could, finally coming to the Norwick gate where they split up, Killthorn heading into town and Fade going up to Vino’s. The search did not go well, and Killthorn couldn’t find Aaramil so he returned to the south gate.

At the south gate Fade was nowhere to be seen, so Killthorn walked up to a man sitting by the wall and asked if he’d seen her.

The man looked up at him, recognizing him quickly a grave look on his face. “Killthorn… aye saw Fade, she passed by this way. I've never seen her like this. She was talking to herself”

Killthorn had felt something was wrong but couldn’t place it. And at this news he took off towards the glenn at a run, not acknowledging Lanz any further. Running past the goblins along the way not even stopping to dispatch them, he finally came to the grove of the druids. Stepping inside and looking around, he found her, curled up writing a note and speaking to herself. “Ive ruined everything… It is time…. Oh what have I done” she mumbled as he approached. “Love…. What is wrong…….Fade.” He said almost pleading, a tear forming in his eye as he reached forward and touched her arm. She looked up quickly at him. “I love you….” She said as she finished her note and stood walking from the grove again mumbling to herself.

He followed, doing all that he could to stop her, try to reason with her. Each time he touched her she would say that she loved him, and each time he released his hold she started walking again speaking to herself.

In the dusk light of the forest, Killthorn realized what had happened. He knew that breaking an elven bond was dangerous but Fade was strong, there was no way he thought…. And it was such that they soon arrived at the Old druid grove. She removed her tunic walking to the center of the grove, kneeling to pray to Mielikki. The tears flowed freely as he removed his own tunic, and the gauntlet that had replaced his right hand for so many years, before walking down to join her. She had always said she didn’t want him to be ashamed.

Kneeling beside her, he wrapped his arms around her shoulders as she prayed, his face buried against her shoulder. And from somewhere inside himself, a song he had heard once upon a time returned to memory. Slowly he began to sing, his voice resonating throughout the wood, the trees almost swaying in sorrow as he did.

In spring your eyes are gold and green
    The sweetest eyes I’ve ever seen
    Your hair shone with a silky sheen
    Springtime brings your love to me

The sun it strokes your skin
    Light of heart and long of limb
    And when we race you let me win
    Springtime brings your love to me

But seasons come and seasons go
    Though I want them oh so slow
    I wish away the winter snow
    And seasons stole my soul away

Summer comes in soft and free
    You gather mountain thyme for me
    In your sweet smile I can see
    Summer warms your love for me

When I see your face again
    You bring the morning sunshine in
    And when we race I let you win
    Summer warms your love for me

The leaves are turning red and gold
    The nights are growing long and cold
    I watch you slowly growing old
    Autumn seals your love for me

The berry ripens on the bough
    There's grey among your dark hair now
    You know you never race me now
    Autumn seals your love for me

Bitter cold the long, long night
    Now your hair is nearly white
    To keep you warm I hold you tight
    Winter steals your love from me

The shortest day is nearly done
    I follow you to the sinking sun
    We know your race is nearly run
    Winter steals your love from me

I give my life to the winter snow
    Your love stole my soul away
    Forever

When he finished the song, she slowly turned her head, her eyes clear for the first time that day. “I love you….” She whispered against his lips as she kissed him. “I will love you….” They both said in unison. “Forever….”

They knelt, in their final embrace, as creatures of the wood came to take them unto the afterlife. The only remaining evidence of their presence being the two tunics and gauntlet at the entrance to the grove. The wood became a silent memorial that night, being at peace temporarily perhaps for the first time in years.

And thus passed from this world, Fade Foxfire and Killthorn Tal, True love lasts forever.