The Secret Life of Tarrick Dotson

• Tarrick sat in a dark corner of the inn, watching the drama of every day life unroll before his eyes. People drank, talked and laughed. Every so often, a raised voice was heard, and if he was very lucky there might even be a fight. He nursed a warm ale as he watched and thought about the past.

He had been born in a small village in Tethyr, the fifth son of two human parents who had little time to do much parenting. His brothers had even less time for the baby of the group, and thus most of his childhood hours were spent amusing himself. Part of his life became private, intimate. He let no one in, and carried out his pastimes in secret solitude.

One of the first things that attracted him in life was fire. From his first memories, came thoughts of sitting by the hearth, staring at the flames, watching them dance. A scar on the back of one hand reminded him of how he learned to respect the power of the flame. Whenever he had the chance, he would seek the flames, sometimes stealing a torch from the house and running into the woods. He had a fondness for capturing small animals, and lighting their fur on fire. The thrill of seeing them run, and hearing the squeals of pain, delighted him no end. Of course, he knew how his family would react if they knew of his passion, so he led two separate lives.

To all that knew him, or thought they did, he appeared as a kind, obedient child. None would guess the darkness behind the mask. He continued his dual life for years until, in his 16th year, he was finally discovered. While working alone in his father’s dry goods shop, a tall man entered and laid a sack on the counter. He reached in pulled out the charred carcass of a fox. “I watched you in the woods the other day”, he said, smiling.

Tarrick’s eyes grew wide as saucers, and he stumbled back a couple of steps.

“Do not fear, young one. I wish no harm to you and your secret is safe with me. I am called Kalishar, and I am a priest of Kossuth, the Firelord. He welcomes you.”

They arranged to meet later that evening and Kalishar took the boy to an ornate temple on a hill at the base of the mountains. Tarrick never returned to his family or the village, Thus began a long relationship and tutorage in the ways of Kossuth.

With his apprenticeship done, Tarrick set off to find his way in the world, ending up in Narfell. To all that meet him he is helpful and friendly, but still, he hides a dark secret. His goal in Narfell is to start a business that will make him wealthy enough to buy his privacy, and support his church.

• Reviewed - XP Pending.

I know your account name and char name, but please add them in next time 😉