Death of a sorcerer familiar.

• Alright, so I am out killing goblins, and I came up with a great idea.
    Instead of
    Fire crossbow
    Run like hell
    Get ahead a bit
    Fire crossbow
    Later rinse repeat….
    I decided to sic my pseudodragon on my enemies, and gave him a mage armor to do so with, while I stood back and pincusioned enemies.
    Well, I didn't know he had poison at level 1.
    When He used it, I said NEAT! And was happy... until somehow, He/I or someone failed a fort roll against it. WTF!?

The corpse apparently smoked poison after death or something, and it did con damage to familiar, and then it died.
    Well, ok that sucks, so I rested later, and tried to resummon him (After taking a hit to my XP and all.)
    It said I needed 100 gold for materials.
    It never did that before...

Anyone care to explain?
    I'm SO lost.....

• that may be a change in 3.5 that added hitpoints/hitdice and saves from total character level… can anyone check the 3.0phb?

The familiar is magically bonded to the caster, thus the large xp loss when the familiar dies, so it makes sense that it's based on the character level, not just the caster level. Classes are just game mechanics

• ICC

I've tested this in NWN with a dual-class sorc/fighter. For every caster level raised, the familiar gained hp. Upon gaining one fighter level, the familiar hp remained unchanged.

A familiar is a perk of a caster class. It's only logical for a familiar to gain hp/abilities from caster level increases only.

• @8c56fe7f9a=Sterling:

HP calculations for a familiar don't count multi-class.

Don't they? Familiars should get half of the master's total hit points, rounded down.

@8c56fe7f9a=[url:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#familiars"]Hit Points

The familiar has one-half the master’s total hit points (not including temporary hit points), rounded down, regardless of its actual Hit Dice.

If you check that link you'll notice that even hit dice (though apparently they're irrelevant to hit points for familiars) are equal to the master's character level, not caster level.

• If you're going to go fighting with your familiar (not recommended at higher levels) you are usually best of with a panther (sneak attacks) or a mephit/imp (DR and regen)

• ICC

HP calculations for a familiar don't count multi-class. Only your caster levels and unbuffed con.

• The Halfling Defence League

What about multiclassing and familiar HP…. meaning

If your a level 1 wiz with a con of 10 and you have 4 hp, then your familiar would have 2 hp...

Now if your a Lvl 1 wiz/ Lvl 1 Ftr with a con of 10 and you have 14 hp, does that mean your familiar would have 7?

• Now THAT makes me sad.
    😞
    Kicks sand oh well.
    Thanks for letting me know! now I know not to bring him out til I have a boatload of Hp…. Sigh

• Yup, ignore whatever it says on the familiar IG for hp's it has half whatever you have.

• Here's another one for mages (unless it's been changed).

http://www.therealnarfell.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17282&highlight=familiars

If you leave your mage in an area without any pcs while posessing your familiar, you may lose all inventory objects.

• @0b10690df2=JerrickRafe:

He had 12… I had 5.
    Weird?

Read what Vortext posted…if you had 5 he had max 3 (more likely 2)..no matter if his sheet said 12.

• He had 12… I had 5.
    Weird?

• double post, sorry

• One last thing, I don't think the poison was what did it. The con roll was yours, to see if you managed to survive the psychic shock of the old buddy dyin.

The poor thing has only half your hitpoints . . . considering you were/are a squishy babymage

That ain't much . . . one lucky hit and squoosh, down it goes

Jerr

• Gotcha. Just curious why it didn't seem to happen the first time blynk bit the dust… and from his own poison?
    MAN!.... Aforementioned tears

• Way way back in the PnP game the summoning of the familiar took a ritual with specific ingredients that were worth about 100Gold, so to resummon your replacement that idea is still with us. If you get 100g in your possession then it will be used as a spell component so you don't have to do shopping, just not be broke when you do the summon.

Been there, wept the tears

Jerr