A Speech in the Commons

• Alvah Apostica, the young Sentinel who was recently imprisoned due to his objections to the Black Sails trial was released this week. Shortly after he was let out he made his way to the commons, his clothes still smudged with the dirt and grime customary of Peltarch's prison cells.

After finding a suitable vantage point from which to speak he delivered the following speech to all that would listen.

_"Fellow citizens, recently I was jailed for some time due to an outburst that I made during the recent trial of several suspected kidnapers and torturers.

The fact that I was forced to break proper decorum was regrettable.

It was, however, also inevitable.

My conscience and desire to see justice done fairly and impartially directed me to make the comments that I made that day. Just as it compels me to speak to you all now.

The trial that day was neither fair nor impartial, nor was it just. To this the vast majority of attendees will attest. The accused men and women's counsel was repeatedly denied the right to even speak. When she objected, she was chastised. When she tried to provide good reason for her objections she was ejected from the courtroom.

Truth comes from the logical debate of evidence between multiple people in a structured manner. The courtroom that day was not a debate between multiple people. It weighed no evidence and allowed no arguments. In that courtroom truth came from the mind of one man; the Magistrate. It would seem that the Magistrate doubted his ability to be unjust, and thus saw no need to make any allowances for counter argument. He doubted his own fallibility.

It was hubris in its purest form."_

He takes a moment to take a few breaths in practiced oratory form.

_"As it happens, I pointed these things out that day in court. I was arrested for doing so.

I ask you, fellow citizens, whether you wish to live in a city that does not allow a man to speak in his defense. I ask you if you wish to live in a city that jails a man for daring to speak the truth in one of its courts.

I would ask you to remember that the Senate, though mighty, is formed of people. And as such, it is capable of making mistakes.

Also I would tell you that the Magistrate is not as infallible as he believes. And each and every one of you is capable of showing him that by withdrawing your support. Withdraw it until there is change. Withdraw it until justice is done in the courts. Withdraw it until there comes a time that innocence or guilt is not measured by one's status, but by due process of evidence, level headed reason, and impartial discussion."_

He steps down, as if to leave, then says as an afterthought.

"Furthermore, if I should happen to be arrested for what I've said here today, let it be known that it is now also a crime to speak the truth on the streets of Peltarch."

• Mercy winks to Taria and gives her a friendly elbow in the ribs as she shuffles by, a writhing sack tied to her back.

"Ho, Taria ye glib faced slattern. What be this prick gurglin' his pea soup o'er?"

The matter explained, she beetles her brow, giving the speaker an incredulous look before grinning at her fellow priestess, peg-toothed and wicked.

"What did I tell'ee, Taria. All they Gondars be rum in the lum, damme fer a drowner o' herrin's else, wi' a curse!"

With that, Mercy gives the bag a kick and waddles off towards the dock to consign the bag of puppies to the Sea Queen's wroth.

• Taria watches with a grin

Justice is a hard thing to ask on someone. You know on one hand there are people that would see us as guilty no matter what we do, and on the other there are people that would rather like to see us innocent no matter if we murdered a senator right in front of them. Now, granted the magistrate holds no love for us, and he knows we sure as the abyss don't like him.

pauses a moment to smile at the crowd

He did a good job, it was a hard case. Considerring somehow the victim had managed to kill himself and therefore his testimony just had to be as true as if Tyr himself had said it..well, it's hard when you've got person after person saying bullshite. Not to mention that supposedly fifteen witnesses never showed their faces, but that's neither here nor there.

What I think the biggest problem was, was that we had someone playing prosecuter and judge. So how about we leave the dear old Voice of Law alone, he did a good job and came through alright in the end. What I think would be better is if we convince the senate to hire a few state sponsered prosecutors and defense lawyers, cause Inquisition style sucks.

Oh and ladies, careful about those free drinks ol' bluebie's offering, it's all a scam to make you go lesbian and divorce your husbands. Courts would make a killing and I'm sure I don't need to repeat the rumors about the college's water…conspiratorial whisper not even good drinks either.

• Some might think the defense counsel that was ejected from the court might have some words on the matter after being mentioned in a number of speeches. She has not been seen or heard from in the city since the trial nor did she leave any biting words directed at the magistrate with the rumormongers of the city. She is simply gone again.

• _A halforc/elf wearing heavy gold and silver armor comments to those standing next to him during the speech about: "Even if it was imparital and it wasnt, they were clearly guilty anyways so it wouldnt make any diffrence even if it was. Shannon did a good job as judge and some people were just ignorant.."

He then wonders off to the theatre for free drinks happily_

• Dentin watches the speech and the crowd's reaction quietly, standing somewhat to the side, neither agreeing nor disagreeing for the time being, it seems.

• A few frowning lines twist across the young man's normally unchanging face as he is met with an initial wave of rejection.

_"You are correct. Those on trial were released. However, they were released not on the basis of their innocence but on the stations they held. They should have been exonerated or punished according to the evidence of their guilt or lack thereof.

Never before have the actions of my own people brought me to self-reproach. Never before today was I shamed to be a Peltarchian. And I hope that today shall be no different. We come to a difficult crossroads, my fellow citizens.

One path that you might take is that you stand up for yourselves and make your voices heard. You act, and make Peltarch the city that it should be.

The other path is that you take the man in blue over there up on his offer and thereby allow the politicians of this city to purchase years of complacency with an hour of free drinks.

I will not abide a Peltarch that is content to live in oppression. I will not abide a Peltarch where the voice of the common people is drowned out by the will of only a few."_

He pauses to allow what he has said to sink in.

_"Now, I would hasten to remind you that each and every one of you has a voice. And that this speech does not go out only to those adventurers and various members and aspiring members of the aristocracy that seem to have gathered around, slinging objections and dry looks.

Every shoemaker, wainwright, cobbler, potter, dockhand and stable keeper has a voice. Each and every one of you is free. To keep that freedom you need only refuse to give it up.

By Gond, do not give up your freedom, and do not stop thinking in exchange for an hour of free drinks. For then they would surely be as dangerous as poison."_

• Maya walks by, then stops a moment to listen to the speech. Some confusion seems to register on her face as she tries to make out what he’s saying, with words like “hubris” and “fallibility” going unrecognized. She furrows her brow trying to pick out the words and take some meaning from it, and eventually just shrugs.

She’s about ready to leave when Zyphlin steps up, speaking in an animated fashion. This immediately draws Maya’s attention, and she stands riveted by his presence. Her face lights up in a grin, and then she nods her head sharply.

“Is good! Have to go to Bard college anyway!”

Then Maya strides out of the crowd, speech forgotten.

• A fellow in gray and black armor stops long enough to listen to both speeches, and after the second, chuckles and mutters something about 'bread and circuses' then continues on his way

• Zyphlin rolls his eyes and then gives a slow clap as the speech ends, clearing his throat and jumping onto something of decent height. He uses his items of illumination to bring light about him as he gives a charming smile, attempting to catch the crowds attention.

"I don't know about you fine folks of Peltarch, but personally I am tired of every person arrested deciding to make a long winded political speech, eh?

So I offer an alternative. All of you that would enjoy to listen to the man droll on about how bad everything is in Peltarch, feel free to stay. For the rest of you, drinks will be free in the Theater for the next hour and I will be having a few bards playing some festive mustic. Any of you fine folks that would wish to come and enjoy yourselves come on by…

...or if you prefer long winded rants, feel free to stay."

With that Zyphlin gives a wink and a smirk, and hops off the stool, heading to the theater

• Nearby the dwarf, a woman in black and gold armor shakes her head at the speech, then turns to follow him back toward the southern battlements. As she leaves, she is heard to say:

"I told him so."

• _A dwarf sits on the bench taking a respite from his post on the Norwick battle lines.

He listens to the speech with an expectant smile that slowly fades as the speech goes on and on without a joke._

<d>Dis bard suck.. Werst performance me e'er saw. Nae joke, nae jugglin, nae rpestige…. Bah!

Somewhat irritated he grabs his battle gear and heads south.</d>

• _Senator Senella, passing by during the speech simply shakes her head, no doubt also getting weary of plumped up fools laying all kinds of claims of corruption and misdemeanour at the officials of the city.

With a somewhat condescending tone she remarks to those listening to the speech;
    "Would he have us go and live in shackles in Thay, or bend the knee to some occult witch in Rasheman, or under some King as in Damara? Fools like him don't realise how good they have it here in the Jewel. Shameful behaviour."_

• ::A few commoners seem to stop and listen to Alvah as he starts his speech, they look at each-other, but as his preaching goes on and on, most grow bored and wanders off. One Commoner shouts "If the Magistrate actually did his job, we wouldn' be listenin' to nutters like this all tha time" There is a distinct impression that people are growing tired with people standing up and shouting long-winded stories and does not get straight to the point. "This one is like tha.. other fellow.. tha crazy blacksail one tha seem to rant on and on.. for tha gods knows what reason" a man remains standing until the end and shrugs his shoulders. "..so tha government, guards, magistrate and law system is corrupt, No shite Elminster." A couple look at each-other as they pass him, giving Alvah a funny look. "I heard the people at the trial had been freed of all charges!" the woman says before the man snorts. "I think they should all have hung, the magistrate was far too leniant if you ask me."::

• Sudoc replies on Alvah's behalf, asking why Alvah in his right mind would wear cloth to a fight with kobolds when he has a suit of full plate.

• Mecizq can be heard sniggering something about 'And he took the time to get the kobolds to scuff him up and get all dirty before delivering this speech, how thoughtfull of him' then strolling off with the remark of 'for people not permitted to defend themselves, they sure were found not guilty anyway'

• Grubrod listens a little to the speech, his small face pert, and unamused. He beetles his brows deeply before shuffling off, a small but tidy bottle of wine under arm.

"Idiot boy."