Of Kanen Hightower

• He's the only person in Narfell that I ever ran into in game that honestly seemed like a true legend in every sense of the word. Even as I got higher in levels, the feeling didn't change.

I remember a time back when Norwick only had one northern gate…the other was rather destroyed. RP was being done to rebuild and better the defense of the gate. The eastlanders, of course, were having none of this and launching attacks against Norwick.

The gates got shut, and people crowded inside. Many were pretty badly injured with more eastlanders amassing when Kanen showed up. It seemed like the spirits of everyone in the area rose up. He asked about the situation and without any real hesitation strove forward as if there was no fear in his heart. I remember he came back in shortly after, badly wounded...which had everyone a bit worried...but looking out and seeing the sheer amount of dead eastlanders outside changed that quickly. It seemed to have a renewing effect and as Kanen was getting healed up everyone else rushed forth. Was one of the first moments in Narfell I was in that felt like a bit of an actual epic story.

• I remember one time when I was chased off the orc fields by a DM posessed Orc Destroyer along with Malachai. We ran all the way back to Jiyyd after almost being pulverized by the thing. We duck in the gates, and slam them shut, and at the time Malachai was still not entirely accepted by some people because of his… spider affliction.

Rick the Swift was there with Kanen and starts to say something about Malachai, and Amith replies with a "Not now" comment because of this -huge- orc that will likely be attacking any time now.

Kanen stands up... and I can just hear his line in my head.. said in a Sean Connery type voice... "Well. We can't be having that now.... can we?" Then he goes out the gate. Comes back in a minute or so with an Orcish Slicer. Problem solved.

• Some of my best memories are of fighting with Kanen and the old Divine Shield in Shade's Jiyyd plots. On one occasion, our group went into the catacombs to uncover the source of an unexpected evil beneath the temple. It was dark, none of us really knew what to look for, and we had no idea what to expect. Then we stumbled on a room with a large statue of Myrkul in the middle. In his classic style, Kanen pulled out his adamantine longsword, shouted "NOT…IN THE HOUSE OF HELM!" and reduced the statue to a fine dust in seconds. 🙂

It was both cool...and a bit scary to watch. And, as he often did, Kanen made all of us feel a lot safer with just one brief act.