Nimbrethil's Memories

• For me Narfell has been through the years pending between an exiting state of complete awesomeness till down in the dirt with the ahses of dead rats – if making up new expressions not breaks any rules…

From being part of huge plot lines where 8 hours, runs by as if it were 5 minuets with 4 dms preparing a plot where you played one of the centre roles with almost the adrenalin pumping (in front of the computer?!) to being banned and losing 9 levels in 10 seconds – I can only smile at how narfell in some way is a very special memory. It’s a world of awesome friends, of some of the most serious RP I’ve ever seen, it’s simply put: special, and wether it has its ups and downs I can only say I am proud I created Eléndel Baenre, mid jule soon 5 years ago, proud to have been a part of this community.

It’s sad to have seen so many friends come and go. I won’t start counting up names because there are so many that has played an important part during my narfell experience…

I guess I unofficially quit narfell in the 1.6 patch (I think? 1.8?).. It’s where everyone was equalled out level wise. It was suppose to maintain the goal of having narfell as a low-magic world. Without celestials walking the lands of mortals and people cocky enough challenging gods. I supported this idea as it was exactly what made me create my character in narfell in the first place but it took away more than it gave. I only need to give one example of this: It took some players 1 week to reach the same level as Kashan Steel. He was god on the server and should have remained as one. I remember talking with Andelas about the change and even though I don’t remember the exact words they were very much true: You can’t love it all. Kashan stopped playing at this point and even though at first it was a relief for having my characters absolute nemesis removed, it was also emptiness and much of the excitement gone.

I have tried to do some kind of bad attempts of an official “I am back” but the spirit was gone, and well.. my character evil as he was, felt utterly alone 😛

Anyway, enough of this.. Character memories coming up, although, not today

• I just recently came back for a "temporary" trip on Narfell with a completely new character. Frankly, I have been away for so long that I have forgotten much of the things that were. Reading your post brought back lots of memories, especially from the names, they truly were part of my Narfell, long time ago!

Thanks for a great recalling of past tales. They are the one that makes the fire feel so magical, when listening to them drinking a cup of tea, passing trough those long and cold night of Hammer.

• The Battle with the Dragons… Now how I could forget? Mitsu, Sigo, Tishoto Hito (spelling?) and Vinessa.. A brave group of level 12+ characters, 2 rogues, 2 warriors and a mage, although not too wise to try on one of Keen_edge’s creations without a healer. It was a job the Defiler gave us. Some sort of Crystal he needed in order to control the orb which was some sort of device allowing him to raise the ancient machines, as rumours claimed, were buried beneath Norwick. This was if memory serves “Vinessas” story, her goal. Aid the Defiler and control the machines in order to lay Norwick in ruins. As a side note, having an open war towards norwick to reach this device was not up for suggestion, as it could destroy the device itself… or something like that.

In any case, the crystal we were to bring back was rumoured to be located in a Lizard’s cave reachable through the Lost City. Just getting there was a challenge that almost cost us our lives. Archers, insane elite guards critting for 100 (nothing compared to the elite goblins in 1.6 though – sick they were, sick!) etc… First level cleared and we entered the second. The cave was so dark I had to lit a torch to even see where we went, maybe not 100% “realistic” considering a drow should be able to see in almost complete darkness but the subclass was not brought into Narfell back then.

We did some scouting, the rogues kept themselves hidden while searching and disarming the traps. Without much of a forewarning a Balor stood glancing at us. Extremely well played by Keen_Edge, but even though all kind of threats giving us hints of that we rather should leave Mitsu (who also played Kunishi, and who’s brother later created Juju – I miss that Halfling still) decided to throw in a few backstabs at the beast. This wasn’t a very tough battle but as the balor fell, the dragon rose. A black dragon who for some reason felt 10 times scarier when met in a NWN world where death hurts. I remember Mitsu throwing a comment in the lines of: “Ok, you be big and me not so big – what’s ya point?"
    This time Sigo was the first to strike, another Halfling whom I believe got his account banned a few weeks after. It did not take many seconds before Vinessa was out of spells and me tohito and mitsu were dead. Sigo? Oh he was running around stealthed looting the dragons treasure – with certain discontent from our side.

Sighing slightly over a dragon that was more or less immortal slaying us in 1 minute, we still lay there watching the show, when the Defiler himself entered the building. Another minute went past, give or take 15 seconds, and the dragon lay dead. From that time on, I decided to skip the cocky tone to Vinessas master, after all, he would’ve, literally, pwnd me.

We lost a level, not counting Sigo, but the XP reward gave us a good kick closer to regain our level. The Defiler got his treasure and we received Keen_edge’s apology for giving the dragon 44 ac. Suddenly the shame for losing the battle didn’t feel as sour to bite.

• I’ve been trying to somehow sum up the events in my head to some sort of correct timeline but I have only failed miserably. I can’t honestly say if one event took place a year before or after another. But to go back to the beginning inevitably brings you back to all the memories of all the kind folks on narfell who can easily spend hours just to make things work, to make people happy – and it is said too seldom that the DMs are doing a great job, they are worthy a big Thank You a little now and then and well, here comes mine: Thank you

Given the current circumstances with Eléndel being the only drow on the server even though it was against the (hard coded) rules, Masume had me made a special area instead of the lobby, and a special portal which as far as I know, only was used by me in order to get into whatever city I had as home. Sometimes the Drow City, for a while Arnath etc. I am not saying I have been given any special treatment, because there are so many players out there being honoured with the same effort from all the dms – and how cool isn’t that?

One of the best memories from Narfell is the building of the cave, the stronghold, the keep. I am quite sure most know of its location, but I am cartain most doesn’t how to enter. It was Vinessas piece of masterwork, designed it, brought it into the game and I bet partly paid for it with hard-earned money (well, nothing was especially hard-earned if you could solo the lost city as a spellcaster but still).

There was a tunnel filled with traps, there was a door without a handle, then there was a maze of portals, and a cave without entrance nor exit, more traps, a password protected door and a extremely smart trap that put people straight into the jail if you didn’t watch your step. At the time when the keep was always inhabited, people constantly coming and going, meetings were held and evil plans designed. It was a home. I also remember an attack towards this very lair where for once, evil prevailed, where it seemed all the good aligned characters joined under the same flag and marched upon our home. I was amazed they made it as far as they did, but still so far away. 😉 and then some day another ultra elite crew consisting of a bunch of veterans slipped past the traps to rescue some dudes chilling out in the prison but hey, we let you in because we wanted to.. period.. hrm..
    mutters something about kali ma, Doli, Marcus S and Gulir being unstoppable

For my weak attempts of returning I must especially give tons of credits to Andelas who put so much effort in helping Eléndel back on his feets I could only feel guilt for being unable to give something in return. And especially, when again finding out I couldn’t quite find that special part which in the old days made be completely stuck in the game for hours and hours.

It’s funny reading other stories from the “Memories” thread. I remember a lot of them, not because I was a part of them, but because I heard of them or played in the opposite faction so to speak.

Back in the old days there wasn’t a solid line between good and evil as it is today. I remember the time when I was hunting in the Lost City with some members from the Phoenix Guild. People weren’t so eager to identify evil everywhere they went, introducing myself was enough, no questions asked nor any demands of removing the helmet. Suddenly a messenger (PC) comes running towards us shouting Atol (the bandit king) had claimed several victims and the group decided to head back to help out. It so happened I currently wore his armor (with haste on) and came to the place a lot before the rest. This was the time to prove my value I thought and charged right on! I think that fight took almost 5 minutes. I had 3 full piles of heal potions (restores full HP) but that Atol just wouldn’t die. This ended, inevitably (as he was hasted and I couldn’t escape) in Eléndels death and by the time the rest arrived, they finished him of and took the near death atol down in one spell.. bah 😛 Back to Friar Fred who refused to resurrect me because of the alignment and believe it or not, Kashan Steel himself resurrected me. First and last time… as I trust my tan was slightly too dark for Kashan to continue our friendship. That’s for trying to help out hehe

• OK, I came to think of another one.. It was quite just after Peltarch had officially re-opened in its 3rd version (unless there has been another major overhaul the last year). The current evil-gang of no-good-doers had a meeting inside peltarch with some plot pc. It so happened though that there had been "accidental" deaths among the guards a few days before and sadly we were the accused. Helmets! What a great idea!

So we began to run around checking for cheap helmets but the only thing we could find was that darn moose head. It took some convinsing, swallowing of pride, more swallowing.. at last 6 (ultra-evil) guys in a red robes and a moose helmet entered the doors of Peltarch and of course, Kanen and his gang stood in the centre lifting a brow at the situation. As we were quite known on the server, people's reaction were quite hilarious. I think I recieved 4-5 tells in the lines of: "HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA".

Worth a screenshot in my book at least 😉

• Writing down memories from Narfell is to sum up the bible (not that I’ve read a single page) in two sentences – there is simply too much to tell.

First thing that comes to my mind though… must be the first time I removed my helmet in Norwick when one of the DM's literally summoned every guard in town, which ended up in one of the most massive blood-bath’s I believe in Eléndels history. I also remember the same DM’s writing about it on the forums. At first, obviously, I feared it to be a complaint about “how I messed up the RP environment” etc but fact is, the post was an RP event itself. Where the DM (Alex?) described my character as an extremely skilled warrior who without mercy nor effort stroke down the guards as minor obstacles.
    It gave me one of the first experiences of that some in fact could se past the evil character and identify me as a normal roleplayer rather than a griefer / lunatic. For trust me when I say I had not been going easy on muttering about prejudices to myself for people not taking me serious because the chap I control happened to be evil. And in fact, I believe most of those prejudices (often with all rights) were quite just.

Another memory without any specific funny content is of course when Eléndel got his green acid-dripping swords. Keen_edge made that plot line and I must admit my smile widened a tiny bit each time I unsheathed the swords in front of the paladin whose mind and will always was so honest and pure.

Power comes with respect, and one helluva responsibility – and I did everything to control that responsibility. I’ve always tried to aim for the fun for everyone, and even though it might have made me an honest chap, it has also dragged me into countless (yes countless) of situations where I simply couldn’t play after my characters “ways”. I mean, how could you slay the “level 4” character just because he “spat” your character in the face? Annoying of course, but I knew the frustration very well of losing a level and ending up in the fugue where the only entertainment was to smash chess-characters of a broken chess game in pieces, and then waiting about 12 days for masume (he had just become a father back then) who was the only DM (Crucible was only a myth I tell you) to come online and give you a ress.
    Even if the server had no “subdue” (correct word? Been a while since I used the emote wand) nor any solid PvP rules, it was still common sense not to make another player sad, now to the point… Back then, even though I had not (directly) killed another player’s character in game, rumours spread that I was merciless, that Eléndel killed people at sight and that I was taking my role as a Drow player abit too seriously. Of course, when I read this on the forum, it was inevitable not to play along which for that time gave me the most realistic RPing I’ve ever seen… not counting the time when people actually just logged out when confronted. I guess it was about this time, reaching level 14-15 when the time with Eléndel was as most fun, having almost too much RP to do for the sake of my sleeping hours.

BANG!

Keen_Edge Tell: I fear I have been asked to ban you. I can not say why nor who it comes from.

And the ban arrived for 8 solid months and once I was allowed to come back I was not allowed to be a drow, I lost all my items, 9 levels and my diety, but most importantly, Eléndel no longer knew one single evil soul. Vinessa and her gang had already been perma-killed, as dragons in the last big final battle in norwick with the defiler and the gang – god I wished I had been there…
    I haven’t quite figured out exactly why but I believe the rumors of Eléndel being a PvP maniac, together with Juju starting to play and going carmageddon (without a car) in downtown Norwick played some part. Of course, I have moments of great regret, accidentally accusing a DM (who was online at the moment) to be a moron in the Shout Channel – it was meant as a whisper to another Player when we felt unfairly treated. You can not guess how ashamed I felt..

In any case this was when Araekor Pein came into the picture. The sorcerer who became good, member of the phoenix order (and apperantly still is as I can read all their posts at this forum) and Chaelvin’s Spellweaver Keep. I have a few extremely fun memories of this guy as well, hunting Ashan is one of those. Ashan who was Eléndel’s (almost) trusted ally I almost slayed with my mage. Hunting the defiler in the Lost City and trying to solve the riddles about the Well with Attentus and “(forgot the name) the Old”… But even though it somehow lacked that extra, the little tiny magic (tragic as it may sound) I had with eléndel in his days of glory. Although when I tried to go solo against some kind of archlich (who cast timestop – causing the whole server to “time-stop” a few times) was extremely fun, epic battle, tons of spells and I escaped with 2hp (level 16 and I would cry blood if I died). The archlich survived but wow – how is it possible to get such adrenaline in front of a computer screen?

Bleh, I should just cut it here or I will go on forever talking nonsense no one is interested in anyway. I will never be back but I will for sure check in a little now and then 😉

Thank you Sera and Jazz for your kind words. Just reading your names brings tons of cool narfell memories back.

• I agree with Sera

• Council of Moradin

Elendel was the best of all the evil PCs ever played on Narfell. Juju was great, but disappeared too often and most of the rest were DM playthings. The server misses you my brother.