Outpost in the rawlinswood

• Dentin, I agree with what yer sayin… I have been suggesting signal towers fer a while. I think that we should consider some north of town, as far as the hill as well. Anywhere threats could be comin from, we should have a way to know about em.

Maybe you and me should talk about such a system.

• Foilir just leans on his staff *

"So let me ask yeh dis.. Wut yeh consider a greater threat? A few greenskins dat we cut down wit little effort or a bunch of farked off druids dat own dese woods?"

• Foilir flicks some sort of bug off his shoulder plate *

"If'n yeh is askin most of us folk who live eer anna weild an axe. Deh greenskin are no more den dat der bug me sent a'flyin. Nae too much to worry about, except fer farm animals anna a few wood gates dat need teh be replaced."

• Stops a moment and peers at the giant torch he is building in the middle of the old thick woods *

"Juss imagine if yeh bit of arsonist defense system go awry… Why me is nae goin teh deal with farked off Druids... Preventin folk frumma minin anna wood choppin, huntin er juss wanderin..

If dat happen...well now yeh affected our economy...our trades..."

• Wags the staff at him *

"Dat me nae like teh see..."

• Foilir walks off chuckling at the diagram wondering if any thought was given to how folks stuck in the tower would get any relief once the fire was set, as the smoke would surely not help their breathing and the fire would keep any supplied and reinforcements...out *

• _After a few days, Dentin returns to see Cyrian, carrying a few crude schematics of the tower and surrounding area. Though most of the schematics are make the tower itself more sturdy, some other designs include what Dentin refers to as the Circle of Fire, apparantly a kind of deep moat filled with oil, that can quickly be lit from the side of the tower to create a temporary yet devestating wall of fire, especially if the goblins are already down in the moat and trying to scale the side up towards the tower. He also shows a simple system to light a warning fire on the top of the tower, which mainly revolves around a quick-burning fuse that runs along the inside of the tower to the bottom, and can easily be lit in case of an emergency.

"These suggestions should offer at least some aid in defending the tower from considerable attacks. Still, I would recommend that Norwick invests in an active and mobile scouting force of the wood to watch the Hobgoblins, and perhaps indeed a signal fire warning system, rather than a tower. Maintaining any kind of permanent fortification this deep in the woods, with a constant goblin presence and no secured line supply line, would require more than a tower and a handful of guards. Why would you allow the constant threat to Norwick to exist at all? The tower would ultimately only provide a warning, and would hardly prove to be a permanent solution. And though there is something to the challenge, it would prove a costly and difficult to undertake, as well as maintain. I would offer my assistance in collapsing any caves the goblins may be using, as well as dealing with those living in the woods."_

• Mord can often be seen patroling to the west, keeping an eye on the activity and discouraginf goblins in the area. He can be seen talking softly with Cyrian and if any are close enough to hear they can hear words of concern of the distance and isolation from the town.

• Foilir shakes his head at the plans and plants his staff *

Dis a mistake… First off, unless yeh farkin a druid anna we nae knows about it, yeh is sure teh piss em off.

• Looks to the side and spits on the ground *

Second, wut is deh benefit of dis? Anna outpost? Wut deh fark fer? Go grab a gobber cave anna fortify dat er sumtin.. Nae understand deh purpose er use of un outpost in deh wood.

• He grabs his staff and yanks it out of the ground *

Expandin in deh woods nae really in deh interests of dis town... Focus inside deh walls ferst.. Leave deh woods to the 'uggers.

• Stops a moment *

Yeh want better protecteds town? Den stop by me office anna we speak of it. Me has more den a few idears.

• While construction hasnt yet begun as it is still in its developement stages, Cyrian takes soem time to speak with Dentin about his ideas

If you think you can design me some defencive devises for the tower I would be willing to pay to have them constructed,keep in mind they will need to be small and able to be one manned, also if you can design an effective device to light the fires in an emergency, that is on thing that we cannot risk having malfunction as the lives of many people would be at stake.

• i don't know the exact numbers as of yet Dwin, But I will be needing for sure:

Rope for hoisting up heavy materials necessary in the construction.
    Oil, not only as a lubricant when setting the pieces but also to allow for a good steady fire.
    Food for the workers and watchers.
    Healing supplise or a healer would be even better in the likely chance that there are goblin attacks.
    Wood, preferably pine or maple, to build scaffolding around the plateau so we can get up there to build.
    metal rods about 6 inches in length to lock the scaffolding in place, preferably iron.
    Torches and lanterns to light the site at night time, preferably magical.
    Crates, carriages, horses and mercenaries to bring supplies to and from the site and town.

Id like a druid as well to change the plateau itself into solid rock to provide it as a sturdy foundation, we should get this before we begin laying the bricks of the tower.

Ive also been juggling the idea of crafting the structure out of steel instead of brick, it would make it much more sturdy, longer lasting, and harder for enemy forces to penetrate. though it will make the job thousand times more expensive.

For the interior ill need wooden planks to build staircase to about 15 feet from the top of the tower at which point i would like a wooden platform lifted by ropes to the top where the signal fire is accessible. torches will be set along the walls within for appropriate lighting, and the signal fire itself will have a mechanism that will strike several flint stones to ensure the fire is lit the first attempt.

upon completion of the tower i would like to hire the mages of Spellweaver keep to provide magical wards to the structure to make it more sturdy, including entropic warding to prevent attackers from firing on the tower with missiles, and a magical barrier around the structure to protect it from being blasted by enemy mages, it is especially needed to ensure the signal fire is not accidentally set fire by enemy fire magics and to protect the structure and those within from natural or unnatural lightning.

Im sure i missed some things but for now this should be a good start, if you think it would be beneficial to create the tower of steel isntead of stone then let me know so we can hire the Union to begin gathering the metal needed, as well as to begin collecting the money for funding of the project, so far all my funding has come from the goblin attackers themselves but further funding will be necessary later on in the project.

Oh, I would laso like to hire a skilled trapper to begin scouting the goblin hold and removing any traps they come by, eventually I will be expanding my patrolls to the caves itself and do not want any surprises.

• Dentin visits the construction site whenever he travels near Norwick, bringing supplies and advice on what could be done to make the tower as defendable as possible, and helping out with the construction or keeping stray goblins at bay.

• *Lucidious is often heard saying he is very pleased with Cyrian's progress. Crates of goblin gear continue to flow into Norwick regularly from Cyrian's post. Crates of supplies are sent in return to help with the makeshift outpost. Pillars of smoke regularly rise from the west where goblin corpses are pilled high and set alight for all the tribes to see. Seems the message is clear, the goblin tribes supplying or reinforcing the goblin hold are being made to suffer.

The chancellor encourages adventurers to help in the effort when they can, asking them to look for Cyrian to the west when they venture into the rawlins.*

• Fadia, lass…. I understand yer intentions. This was not sumtin we planned fer months, rather Cyrian saw a need and acted on it. Tis just what I like to see me Militia lads doin'. But, I assure you, we did not plan this and leave you out.

You've been a great help to us here in town, and I want to make sure ya know we appreciate that.

Cyrian, you let me know what supplies you need and we'll get em to ya. You should also talk to Captain Aelhaern about gettin a rotations of his scouts to man yer tower when you arent there.

• A boisterous tough drinking in the Boars is heard commenting loudly about the ridiculous notion of building a manned signal tower in goblin lands. If goblin arrows don't make short work of the warders, goblin witchdoctors surely will. The man openly suggests that anyone volunteering for that post should visit their shaman first and make sure their effects are in order.

• _Will hears of the proposed tower, and shakes his head, then goes looking for Cyrian.

"One or two people alone out there will be totally isolated. If the tower gets a regular garrison, Norwick Guards will be quickly overwhelmed, and if it does not get a regular garrison, then the tower will spend only a short time untenanted before the goblins take up residence.

Either way, the goblins will no doubt thank you for building them a nice watchtower from which to espy adventurers heading into the west Rawlins."_

• _After three days and nights of relative solitude in the woods, Cyrian returns to town, his body seems to be in good physical condition, but his armor and equiptment looks like they have been through hell.

Cyrian first speaks to Praeth and reloads on needed supplies and then heads off to see Lucidious.

Anyone curious to know about what Cyrian has planned would be told that what he intends to do is build a single stone tower atop the inaccessible plateau near the cave to the goblin hold, the tower will be large enough for one or two persons and atop it will be a very large signal fire, Should another goblin invasion manifest itself the watchers manning the tower can light the signal which can be viewed for miles alerting everyone across the nars of the impending danger, mercenaries and adventurers will also be able to take refuge at the tower and will be paid for help in the elimination of the goblins as well as for the shipping of materials looted off goblin assailants to the towns and the return of further supplies.

When mention of the druids and of the safety of the forest Cyrian can only reply that his intentions are for the benefit of the forest as well as the town, the area he has chosen to construct his tower is free of forestation and the ground is slightly above the forest line so that there is no need for any destruction of the forest, however in order to begin construction a number of trees may be needed in the initial stages before the stone blocks are created and delivered.

While in town Cyrian mentions that he will have a large list of equiptment needed and will be paying those who would be able to fill those orders, anyone interested in the task can speak to him directly for the list, as it often chances based on the circumstances and situation in the forest._

• The Halfling Defence League

Dwin…I think you've misinterpreted. Honestly, I'm not the petty, holier-than-thou, tree-hugging, crafter-killing, hunter-stabbing psychopath that most of the region seems to think I am.

Do you honestly think, after all that I've been trying to do to aid this town, that I'm going to throw all that away over some fortifications? Hells, you've seen yourself how far I'm willing to go to help this town, and I don't even live here. Honestly, this fort is a trivial matter to me. I could care less about it.

There is only one thing, in regards to this, that I would ask: that in the future, for such projects, you give consideration to your neighbors in the south. We both have much we could offer each other, and it would be foolish to not take advantage of this, and even more foolish to have one step on the other's toes through lack of forethought - especially when born from a desire to do something beneficial.

she shrugs That's really all I wanted to illustrate.

• Good idea, lad.

Dwin smirks at Fadia

Lass, if you and yer folks had a better handle on these things we wouldnt need to be out there. I am pretty fakin sure Cyrian has things he'd rather be doin'.

We've been askin fer years for better information about greenskin massings and uprisings. Since we aint gettin the answers we need, i am sure you understand our goal here.

Please feel free to offer advice on how Cyrian might best accomplish our goal. I can assure you that no harm will come to the forest as a result of this protective stance we are taking.

• The Halfling Defence League

Incidentally, given the increasing numbers of Norwickians with intent to build in the rawlinswood, Fadia has taken to traveling into town and talks of creating a druidic outpost. Probably somewhere in the vicinity of the Boarshead. Any contributions to this effort may be given to her directly, as she can usually be found in town.