Roll dices... Which one to use in which occasion?

• Hi.. i just wanted to ask the community about those dices.. to help improve my rp as well as other new to the D&D world… or PnP
    Reffering to the Stats... the skills are easily applied...

Thanks

• What about the "roll a die" option. When would you just roll a die (not associated with an attirbute or skill)? And what number do you roll against?

• I've stated before, and I would like to state again, albeit this is entirely opinion, the name of the game is ROLE playing and not ROLL playing. Rolls should be saved for when they are needed. Admittedly, I've been known to roll cha and wisdom checks during PC interaction MERELY to change it around. I can write out a whole dialogue in my head sometimes, and when I write two of them… I'll ocassionally make a roll just to determine which one I pick. >_< But really, unless you are trying to acheive something, don't bother with rolling too much.

• I think it's dex to grab/dodge, and str to hold on/break free

• @df278725c7=Elendiel:

…though....I dont always agree with rolling str after saying something like... ::tries to grab ahold of him::

Couldn't you roll dexterity to try and dodge the persons attempt?

• @8089a4e0b8=Mischa:

As just an addition to what's already been said: on rolling opposed checks.

I have found that it is downright impossible to get a player who doesn't like my choice of checks to RP by them. As such, I would recommend ignoring the check, ignoring the player, or both. As an example: a certain elf wanted to kick my character in the teeth, rolling a 9 to his str check. After that, I rolled an 18 reflex save and RPed it as dodging the attack. He proceeded to bombard me with ooc on how I was prone when he made the check and it would use my AC -4 not my dex. Even in such a case, his roll of 9 would've missed me completely (even flat footed). To that he argued that it was really a touch attack and HE should've rolled a dex check, and so the point was moot and he kicked me and I had no chance to dodge because he was RP policing-

Err, you get the picture. Play nice, and avoid people who won't.

PM me with his character name… I was looking for someone to kill IC 😉

• As just an addition to what's already been said: on rolling opposed checks.

I have found that it is downright impossible to get a player who doesn't like my choice of checks to RP by them. As such, I would recommend ignoring the check, ignoring the player, or both. As an example: a certain elf wanted to kick my character in the teeth, rolling a 9 to his str check. After that, I rolled an 18 reflex save and RPed it as dodging the attack. He proceeded to bombard me with ooc on how I was prone when he made the check and it would use my AC -4 not my dex. Even in such a case, his roll of 9 would've missed me completely (even flat footed). To that he argued that it was really a touch attack and HE should've rolled a dex check, and so the point was moot and he kicked me and I had no chance to dodge because he was RP policing-

Err, you get the picture. Play nice, and avoid people who won't.

• I like the classic D&D example:

"You feel a raindrop land on your hand. Your intelligence tells you it is raining. Your wisdom tells you to go inside to avoid catching a cold."

It's very subjective, though.

• Totally not true…example

Old wise man on mountain cant use computer and is slow to learn about it...

He can tell you all you want to know about life, the cosmos, philosophy, relationships....but when it comes to microwaves and the internet, he is hopeless....I mean....Albert Einstein couldnt even tie his own shoes...

on the same token, as Karbeh wrote...teenagers...or even older people who do not think too much about the consequences of their actions may be smart, but not wise....I mean...you can run a corporation, but think that sniffing some coke here and there wont do anything t... BOOM!

One would hope, that a person with intelligence would only build wisdom...

• @adea5728d9=Nightsblood:

INT or WIS ?…..Hmmmm ??......just use what feels right to you.

@adea5728d9=Adlanail:

Even if it is your cough higher stat 😉

HAHAHA~! I suppose no one will notice if I cough cheat eh?

Ya suuuuuure hehe.

Thankfully, my Int and Wis are close enough to make the decision less important to me. Was simply curious cuz everyone seems to have a different definition of their applications.

Someone even went as far as to mention that it was impossible (in the Real-World *gasp) to have a Stupid-Wise person… something about Wisdom coming with age or experience or something..

shrugs

• This is how I do it, if it helps:

I think of what skill I would be rolling in PnP if there was an applicable skill (that isn't available in the skill roll dialogue on the rod), and then I use my rod to roll using ability that modifies that skill, if the ability is also a save, then I subtract my save modifier from it.

This seems to carry me through most situations, though for doing things that don't rely on skills, such as memorizing someone's facial features, or trying to grasp a complex subject, I generally think about my character.

If my character is generally intelligent, then I would simply attempt to remember the person's facial features (int roll), if my character is more wise, I would attempt to associate the features with something easy to remember (requiring no int roll), but that would take insight to see (wis roll)

That's just how I do things though…I only have about six years of PnP experience, so someone with more could probably do a better job than I.

• INT or WIS ?…..Hmmmm ??......just use what feels right to you.

@2f0649830a=Adlanail:

Even if it is your cough higher stat 😉

• Intellect versus wisdom… scholars more adept than me at defining this are MANY, but ((warning... rambling ahead!)):

I've always seen wisdom as being both judgement and a moral sense... I can look at a situation intellectually and still not have the experience to make the correct decision even if I have analysed the facts. I'm sure plenty of smart teenagers have died doing stupid things. Why? wisdom is usually associated with experience. Although you can have wise young people… I think it more rare than with people that have had time and experiences to begin gaining wisdom.

@d1f5e93aaf=Lao:

Knowing others is intelligence. Knowing oneself is true wisdom.

Wisdom is the ability to discern inner qualities and relationships… insight, judgement, the act or result of apprehending the inner nature of things or of seeing intuitively

Intelligence is the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations, reason, the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria

• @955076524b=juky:

@955076524b=649of711:

…deduction and assumption are the acts of 'reasoning' or 'logic' and both, by definition, are an acts of an intelligent person..

If you don't have time to process all the information in your head though, I think a Wis check is a better choice for making quick assumptions.

Making quick assumptions, yes, but quick judgements can also be made through expedient information recall…

For example, Kerby mentioned that remembering people was an Int check in his interactions. This doesn't sound bad, and I don't know if I am qualified to argue the nuances of "memory".

I'm happy to surrender the point that a Wisdom check an assumption is the source of insight, rather than the sudden recalling of an important fact (which could be an Int check again).

But in this case, don't the two seem interchangeable again? 😉

• @dc0b94df13=649of711:

…deduction and assumption are the acts of 'reasoning' or 'logic' and both, by definition, are an acts of an intelligent person..

If you don't have time to process all the information in your head though, I think a Wis check is a better choice for making quick assumptions.

• @a050ce07f9=Elendiel:

Int: Anything requiring brain power.. ie: effectiveness of wizard spells, or studying something…or...well...Wis is better anyway 😛

Wis: A good one to use with dice..it can cover anything you need to deduce, or assume.. ie: picking up on subtleties in speech, catching someone lying, being able to see through some sort of deception...and lots and lots more...

I kinda disagree with using wisdom for 'anything you need to deduce, or assume' because deduction and assumption are the acts of 'reasoning' or 'logic' and both, by definition, are acts of an intelligent person.. thus, they should be done with an Int check. I agree with everything else Elendiel presented in Wisdom.

I disagree that Intelligence should be so limited though. Intelligence is a power thinking thing, but is by no means weaker than wisdom. If you're intelligent enough, you can unmask a person's deception by simply using logic: logic is a system of reasoning, and thus, if you are logical enough, you can come to the same conclusions as one who has greater common sense might.

Different ways of achieving many of the same means, but be wary of which mode you use.

Cheers,

edit: grammar corrected. (ya, I have THAT much time on my hands hehe)

• Thanks a lot 🙂
    now i understand more of those dices
    i would be trying to get used to them in game, now that i understand more or less when to use them 🙂

Thanks again

• I also use INT for remembering things… like if I have forgotten who a character is.. that I already know IC but have forgotten in RL, I will roll and then ask in a Tell to that person how we met if I succeed on a DC 15.

I use STR checks for hauling wood or ore or whenever I am Heavily Encumbered to see if I can lift it... and then CON check to see if I can continue.

Also use CON check to see if you can keep running long distances. I usually use a slow count in real life up to my CON score, before making a CON check. If I hit a DC 15, I can continue for another slow count to my CON score. If I only get above DC 10, then I have to walk for a slow ten count. If I don't make a DC 10... I have to sit down and rest for a ten count then walk for a ten count. Obviously, I don't do this in combat situations... too much realism makes for quick trips to the fugue sometimes!

Oh and I usually use WIS checks for judgement calls (which my character usually fails)... like:

"Should we REALLY try to take on those giants with just a bard for backup?"

::rolls against a DC 10…rolls 10-1=9 on d20... fails::

"SURE!"

And always ask what DC you should be rolling from someone else… gives you an honest roll to beat then. 😉

• Each time you roll it will be different….though there are many constants...

Many a time, when there is sort of an option as to which stat to roll with, I just see the person roll what their strong stat is....

...though....I dont always agree with rolling str after saying something like... ::tries to grab ahold of him::

Basicaly...the stats are about as straightforeward as the skills....though int and wis can get a bit confusing.... I am sure someone like Magi, who knows much more about PnP will have something a bit more concrete to add to this, but here's my take on it

Str: Anything requiring brute strength.. ie: trying to inflict damage, push a heavy object, or just to see how far you can throw a halfling...

Dex: Anything requiring agility, flexibility, or accuracy... ie: dodging just about anything...catching just about anything, damage/to hit with bow, absorbing damage(I've spun out of people pushing me before with a good roll), or playing leapfrog with orcs..(you need to be able to jump pretty high there you know)

Con: Anything requiring hardiness or toughness.. ie: taking a hit without suffering too terribly much, enduring any sort of strenuous activity for long.. 😉 :lol: ...or trying to drink Gruff under the table..

Int: Anything requiring brain power.. ie: effectiveness of wizard spells, or studying something...or...well...Wis is better anyway 😛

Wis: A good one to use with dice..it can cover anything you need to deduce, or assume.. ie: picking up on subtleties in speech, catching someone lying, being able to see through some sort of deception...and lots and lots more...

Cha: Any sort of convincing, if you dont want to roll persuade...particularly unspoken convincing...and...im getting tired of thinking now...so thats it

😛

At any case, if you are in game and need to do a dice roll, but dont know what to roll, just use ooc brackets and ask someone you're RP'n with what they think you should roll....most people here will be glad to help...I know I would!