Memories of a grumpy Dwarf

• I remember my first day on Narfell… I created a half-elf ranger named "Hess Arksaniss" (in my immense creativity it was the same PC that I was playing PnP with). I remember getting tol Sam's Hill where there was a gathering of PC's... I would run off, get beaten up by a Maurader, run back to the hill where some [most likely annoyed] PC would kill the bandit and heal me.

I remember asking things like:

((what does it mean when you write in parenthesis?))

(how are you sending me those messages in green type?)

Hess died quickly and I kinda forgot about Narfell for a few months until one day when a PnP co-player and co-worker (Senach) and I came up with the idea to play a clan of Dwarves that follow Vergadain, get rich, and generally piss people off. We did some quick research on Vergadain and went to a Dwarven-name generator where we came up with the "Dolvak" clan name (forget what it means) and the 2 dwarves Ogar (mine) and Olev (senach).

Ogar and Olev died quickly to orcs. Next came Nor for me. He died to Pixies (something I rarely admit). By this time we had started to recruit a 3rd Dolvak to the clan (that many of you know). Dwin (me) Kassar (Senach) and Foilir (herrold) were now lowbies.

I'll never forget Dwin and Kassar opening some barrells in Norwick and looting the contents, only to be found and arrested by maythor and Utgher. A terrifying experience… I remember sweating in RL. They put us on a chain gang and made us haul ore for a day or so. Becoming head of that same Militia was a certain mark of success of ole Dwinnie.

Somewhere on my PC I have a couple pages of back history that I wrote for the clan... how they came to Narfell from Iron Spur, and more about their own histories. I have promised myself to post that sometime soon.

I have to admit, 3+ years later, that we held very close to our original goals for the Clan. Though I feel that Dwin's story is not yet over, he's accomplished much of what he set out to do.

• Ah yeah the good ole days.

Where we would meet at lunch and come up with the backstory for the Dolvaks.

Foilir died during his first 10 minutes in Norwick, getting PK'd by a bunch of chickens, bleeding to death and watching someone loot his corpse. A mid-level Maythor stopped the bleeding and took me aside asking me if I attacked the dog. Was an interesting question since I got killed by the chickens, but that is when I took my hands away from the keyboard wondering what I had wandered into.

I remember heading out into the woods with Covah as he pointed out my first kill. A shortie. My hands were sweating. The map seemed so huge!

I recall handing a bronze pickaxe back to someone saying… "nah can't use it, I can only use the tin ones" O.o

Foilir has been my one and only PC. I still have the notes at home about how the Dolvak's history pushed Foilir and Dwin together as the cousins who needed to do anything to survive.

We have accomplished much that we have set out to do, but not quite everything.

Some things fell through the cracks and just game mechanics and some other external issues prevented some things from totally being possible, but there are still some things left.

I didn't participate in the forums or IRC for a good while after I started. I kind of looked at it as an odd and unfamiliar aspect of the game, but eventually I partook of the additional avenues to participate in the community.