Memoirs of Kallethen

• First Character

I came into Narfell being very wary of the HCR scripts. Pre-Narfell, I was of the opinion that the scripts would make the game too hard, as the real-time computer game is a different environment than the traditional pen-paper-dice-books I grew up on. But I had bought NWN specifically to be able to do some D&D roleplaying online, and up to that point I had yet to find a server I enjoyed. So I had decided to set aside my misgivings about HCR and try a server with it. I picked Narfell out of the list because it looked well populated and the server description was a bit intriguing.

This was back in the Build 7 days of Narfell. Norwick was the only town players started in. There was no Jiyyd, no Gypsy Camp, and no Oscura. Peltarch was a place that only saw traffic when a DM ran an event there, I think. Goblins back then were much more dangerous too.

My first character on Narfell was an elven wizardess named Celenia Hent. I had just started exploring Norwick when a bunch of people started yelling about needing to rescue somebody from goblins by a storehouse. I followed, being curious about what happened. The action was all done with by the time I got there though. It was then that I had my first interaction with another PC. The first person I met on Narfell was the infamous Reginald Charlesgate.

I talked with Reginald and his friends, and we decided to hunt goblins in the south woods. The veterens of the group wisely suggested we "buddy up" for survivabilities sake. I forget who I paired up with. I do remember that I got seperated from him and knocked down. I hoped that my partner would notice me lying on the ground bleeding out, but unfortunately I think he had his own mess of goblins to deal with. Off to the fugue I went. It was my first lesson on how tough the goblins were back then, and I daresay that the lesson was just the tip of the iceberg (I didn't run into the much feared Elite).

My partner apologized to me in tells at least. We both decided not to bother having me raised, after all I was just a fresh level 1. There was no "soul shard" back then (and wouldn't be for quite a while after Build 8 started). I logged out and thought back to my whole experience. Death, as I expected was harsh. But I found myself wanting more. The little bit of roleplaying I had was a blast. People didn't ignore me just cuz I was a new player (something which seemed to happen on Everquest and some other NWN servers).

So if you want anybody to blame for me sticking around in Narfell, blame Illuminatus (Reginald's player).

Coming next installment: The start of Kara Willendt.

• Favorite memories:

Mas deciding to massacre a bunch of lowbies Red hired to "guard" him while he mined in the Rawlins. A certain lycanthrope was there.

Favorite memory I didn't have (yet):

Killing Tindra for breaking an oath. Work in progress.