OOC: Fight Night - rules, ideas and sugestions

• @e65a7a7169=Scutum:

I don't suppose there is a way to make archery targets that represent archery skill as opposed to being a coin toss? It is a bit goofy seeing a dwarf with a sling or some human cleric with a crossbow routinely winning, beating the elven rangers and other archers.

The archery targets do take stats, skill and feats directly into effect. It's just done in scripting behind the scenes. Robyn would routinely get Bull-eye's 1 out of 3 shots.

The thing is, it also takes BAB into account, which it should. A high level Dwarf like Maythor or Foilir may have a low DEX score, but a +12 BAB with a DEX of 10 is the same as a +8 BAB with a DEX of 16 and weapon focus longbow

For what it's worth, I practice traditional archery. In matches, scores are kept separate depending on bow type. If you shoot crossbow, you cannot compete directly with someone shooting a longbow, or even a recurve. Crossbows are FAR easier to be accurate with than bows. It's just not represented in game. Recurves are also slightly more accurate than most longbows.

The only real advantage bows have is rate of fire. Part of the tournaments I participate in includes a speed round, in which you have 30 seconds to shoot as many arrows as you can at a target. I shoot 5-6, but a woman in our group routinely shoots 8, and has gone as high as 10. You can't do that (easily) with a crossbow. The best I know of in the this part of the country is 15…and they were all bulls-eyes. Yes, 20th level archers still exist.

• @0f32e2ad8c=Scutum:

I don't suppose there is a way to make archery targets that represent archery skill as opposed to being a coin toss? It is a bit goofy seeing a dwarf with a sling or some human cleric with a crossbow routinely winning, beating the elven rangers and other archers.

To be honest, I love the targets exactly as they are. I dont want them changed. Its the one event that litteraly anyone can play, regardless of lvl or skill. Where in the fights, youre hosed at lower lvl.

• @1ef2ff20dc=Scutum:

How exactly would we measure that?

• The Halfling Defence League

And yeah…reiterating the whisper channel stuff. It's ALWAYS a pain keeping track of what's going on when text is flying at ten thousand miles a second in the talk channel.

And also, make sure to give us druids a chance to make life difficult for folks looking to do animal fights :twisted:

• Stunning fist is a precise strike to a nerve-point, usually. While monks do rather well at unarmed combat (no! really?) they do get hammered in any contest allowing equipment, since the monk items are worse than the armor available.

I can see that disallowing knockdown and leg-sweeps in a boxing match is fair. You can even rule that 'no funny monk stuff' like stunning fist is allowed. I know some fighters refuse to fight handicapped by the lack of their favorite armor/weapon. Some monks would refuse to fight if they're forced to blunt their skills similarly. That doesn't matter.

Set the terms for the fights, see who joins in, the Winner gets the Prizes. Simple. I'd suggest running any contest of 'Skill' without items, though. Some of us have some ridiculous gear and it's daft to fight people of comparable skill who don't have the extra bonuses from their equipment.

And, run the fight in a place where a No rules 'Free-for-all' is truly free. Call lightning, fireball, HoldPerson and caltrops, whatever. Anything goes.

• I don't suppose there is a way to make archery targets that represent archery skill as opposed to being a coin toss? It is a bit goofy seeing a dwarf with a sling or some human cleric with a crossbow routinely winning, beating the elven rangers and other archers.

• DM

A fighting hall was saposed to be under the bakery in norwick but its still lost in space somethere over spain now heading east I think.

• A rudimentary arena would go a long way.

No NPCs, no extra placeables. Just what is necessary.

Challenge matches, PC vs NPCs/Animals (yes we can do subdual).

That would be interesting.

• there are several barns in Norwick that were intended to be used for this very purpose… lets move it indoors!

• A lot of people on one single map is always a problem. That's a problem you learn to live with as DM when you run large scale events, and another reason why many of us try to keep events with a low(er) amount of players. But yes, this is one of those kind of events where it's hard to control.

The suggested options will help already: no visible spell effects on players, no full chatter but try to keep personal conversations to whispers, as little placeables as possible, and if you use placeables, try to resort to ones that are not usable by default and have no light effects. Or spread it out over more maps, though that does take away some of the fun.

Indoor maps, yes and no. In NWN there is less strain on graphical drawings on indoor maps, since there's less animation effects the game needs to render - if you make sure there are no placeables with effects on said map. But on a clear outdoor map, like the default Strange Lands maps we have, it can be done just as well. It's the combination of needing to render a lot of PC's together, their actions, all the visible and animated effects, any scripts that are being checked, and the chat banter, coupled with anything a DM does, that make it hard on the game.

• Stunning fist hurts so much more than knockdown… it lasts so much longer >.<;. Also, does Nicahh have alot of strength? I dont think she can hit someone so hard it dazes them, stunning fist is a concentrated strike.... Feats that make the opponent just sit there prone are bad, especially if the oppnonent has "sneak attack," which Nicahh has ALOT of. Now, feats like furry of blows or expertise would be fine, they actually can give an opponent a chance. With boxing, its so much easier to hit someone when they dont have armor or magic items and thus thats why I think feats arent allowed so people dont spam them.

And keep fight night outside for magic duels and stuff we may have, just do what Dwin suggested and keep most conversations to a whisper and maybe less placeables.

• I don't know about knockdown in boxing, but atleast let the monks use stunning fist. It just seems nature to hit someone so hard it leaves them dazed for a few second. :lol: But seriously, I think boxing is better without feats like knockdown and expertise… and it goes way faster then. 🙂

Also, is there going to be a map set up for just the fight nights? An indoor areana, or another small outside map? I know with the placeables down, I was lagging so bad everything was hopping for me and some people just kept crashing over and over.

• Thanks for bringing this back to life, I'll read over these again when I have time and we'll see if we can try something new.

Archery: I think we have that down pretty well. I like the targets as they are. I like the rules. I can run though archery pretty quick now, even with a huge number of people in the match. If anyone is having issues with the way the archery works, has questions or suggestions, shoot me a pm.

Feats in combat: sometimes I do allow feats in combat. In boxing, I usually dont. I dont think you should use KD in boxing, I consider that "dirty fighting". Boxing should be two people just beating each other down in a straight up fistfight. Only your HP, AB and base AC should apply imo. Last night I did allow feats in stickfighing and I think that worked out very well. maybe I'll setup a poll. If everyone wants feats all the time then we'll make that happen 🙂

boxing gloves: consider it done 😄 duno when, but we'll make this happen.

• Allow boxing gloves in the boxing matches. This will give Z (and the other tanners) a chance to sell their wares. Talon gloves anyone? 😄

Allow combat feats to be used in combat. Expertise, knockdown, etc. should be allowed.

As for the archery target issues… Could static targets be placed instead of the ones that give a hit location? Then Lucid can just take an average of the shots to determine the winner.

Z

Nothing wrong with Norwick turning into an evil town. A desire to please the populace would certainly be one path that they could take towards that end.

• @b8a1538b5c:

Okay, what about calling them indentured workers, or criminals eligible for parole?

Sure, but unless I suddenly see a pretty established group of monster "citizens" of the various towns, criminals would probably need to be of the standard character races…

• @3b2fa3a664=sciolist:

Norwick isn't evil, but it is rough and primitive. It's not like they torture people and imprison them without trial, is it?

Snicker

• Gladiatorial slave-fighting is evil now? Okay, what about calling them indentured workers, or criminals eligible for parole? If they're already in jail, 'working' the fight nights might get them out earlier. As long as they've got choice and can choose to rot in jail in preference to fighting it ain't evil, in my opinion.

Norwick isn't evil, but it is rough and primitive. It's not like they torture people and imprison them without trial, is it?

EDIT: So: suggestions, captured animals for fighting, volunteer monster champions also welcome. Make it a diplomatic event! 🙂

• @582d988c85:

Also, in that vein….I think adding in monstrous slaves, like captured orcs, lizardfolk, saurials, and bugbears would be a kinda cool idea...sorta like...forcing em to fight.

If you wanted to quickly become an evil town, indeed….

'Zactly.