The short explanation of the history of Zyphlin Re'cual

• He sat there looking at her. The first woman he could truly say he loved with all his heart. He knew he shouldn’t tell her, shouldn’t tell anyone…but he’s held his secret for so long. As she looked at him with her shining emerald green eyes he felt any resistance melt away and he began to speak.

“So you wish to know the truth about me” ::sighs:: “Alright, here it is, but I ask you stay silent as I tell since it’s a bit of a long one.”

“Despite how I look, I was born almost a century and a half ago. Stranger still, I was born to two elven parents in Evermeet. The two were shocked and mystified at the human child they had in their arms the night of my birth, unsure fully of what to do. They did not know why this human child, branded with the symbol of Mystra upon his back, had came into their lives.”

“They spoke with some of their close friends and were given advice. They loved the child, despite all the oddities it was still something that came from the two of them due to love. However they knew the problems it caused. A human child growing up in Evermeet would have a horrible life. Even worse, they knew that they would grow to love the child even more, but within a century…not even by the time a elven child finally reaches adulthood and leaves the home…they’re son would be dead.”

“The decision was made to send me to a family they were close to in Waterdeep. My father and my soon to be surrogate father had spent many years prior adventuring together, so my parents could think of no one they could trust more with the task. I was on a boat shortly before my first month in this world, sailing from the fabled island to the City of Splendors.”

“My human mother and father were good people. They were nobles in Waterdeep; my human father was captain of the second fastest and successful anti-pirating boat on the sword coast, right next to the fabled Sea Sprite. They gave me a good life. They sent me to a good school within the city and my father took me out on numerous campaigns up and down along the coast. Life was good and for twenty years I knew nothing of my past.”

“Then the day came. Upon my twentieth birthday I was told I had guests. I entered into my living room to find a small band of finely dressed elves sitting there waiting. My human father was standing near the door and human mother was weeping in chair lightly. They both knew the cold facts of the matter; that I needed to go and learn the truth. It did not stop the hurt however. Related by blood or not, they both loved me dearly as I did them.”

“I was told that I was being given the offer to go to Evermeet, to see the lands almost no human ever has the privilege to see. I was told there was more, but I would learn upon reaching the island. I was caught in a whirlwind, and I could think of no other answer then yes. I shipped out for my home a day later, saying my goodbyes to my adopted parents and my step-brother, not realizing it would be the last of them.”
    “Upon reaching Evermeet I was mystified. I still remember the walk from the boat to the city and staring like a wide eyed child at the pure beauty of it all. Somehow it seemed like home, like it was right. I didn’t understand it then, but I would shortly. I was told I was to have an audience with a noble family. Excited I waited in their house until they came. When the two elves walked in I knew something seemed strange, that we seemed connected. The feeling didn’t prepare me for the talk after that.”

“They told me they were my parents, and of the strange circumstances of my birth. I was floored, shocked and stunned. They continued, saying for the past twenty years they had some of the best sages of Evermeet searching for the reason for it, and they believed they found it.”

“They told me that starting after the end of the time of troubles, an odd phenomenon had started occurring very rarely. It seemed that Midnight, once ascending to become the Goddess Mystra, attempted to learn from her predecessor’s mistakes. The Mystra prior to her had bestowed some of her energy into Midnight, allowing the wizard to ascend and allowing the weave to be reformed. Mystra realized the use of this but decided that she should not wait till the times were neigh, nor put all her eggs in one basket. Since this time she has been siphoning a small bit of herself at times into new born child. This happening, known as the birth of a “weave touched”, only seemed to happen to couples where one side was infertile and wished desperately to still have a child. Very rarely, when such a plea is made, Mystra will join with a coupling of the two lovers. Through her power she will allow the mother to be with child, though due to the energies allowing this coming from Mystra, the child is always of her race; human.”

“As they explained things slowly came together for me, and while there were many holes, it at least answered some questions. The main of which being how was I born to two elven parents. Through their studies they learned that most Weave Touched children had an affinity for magic, which was true for me as well though I never followed through with it to heavily. This is why my magic comes forth more as a mage then a bard. I do not need to use the tricks of music to manipulate the weave, for I have a direct connection with it. It also seemed that upon maturity those with this affliction, or gift, stopped aging. Or, if they did age, it was even slower and less apparent then the aging of elves. This way Mystra would not have to do such a taxing and extreme action to often. The points of the Weave Touched are to simply live, to continue their lives normally, but to be there in case Mystra ever fell. If that happened the energies in all like me would leave our bodies and join together, leaving us dead but reforming the lost god of magic once more and restoring the weave.”

“They offered me a choice, and my answer to it may have been clouded by the bewilderment I was currently experiencing. They said I could remain here, in Evermeet, and live as elves would. I would be taught by the greatest teachers the land had, I would have accesses to their fabled libraries and holders of lore, and I would be able to study further into the happenings of my birth. They stated there was a catch to this, but at the time the catch just sounded like even more of a gift. I would be allowed to stay in Evermeet for a quarter of a century, studying as much as I could and being trained in all the arts of the elves by their finest instructors. After that time I would go forth from Evermeet for a century and help my country and my people in a way only I could. I heard all this, listening to such an amazing opportunity and a chance to help people, and agreed instantly.”

“I was a fast learner. My human brain was always working at its peak, full speed ahead with the sails wide open. My teachers were amazed at how fast I picked things up. I learned the elven language in a year, mastered its nuances and ancient forms after three. I was taught in the ways of their sword-play, including being given the honor of one of the only humans to learn their blended dance of magic and steel. The lore of millennia was at my disposal and I studied and poured over books day and night. My personality, my ability to mesh and make friends was put to the test. To some I was an oddity they wished to see more of, to others I was a threat and an outcast. All this pushed me forward though, learning how to talk with people and how to manipulate them and show them what they want to see. The first ten years of my time studying on Evermeet were blissful. It was the utopia every human would think the Elven lands would be…”

“However, after the first ten years, my true reason for being there began. The elven court realized what they had in me. A person; taught as an elf, living the lifespan of an elf, completely loyal to the elves, yet fully human. They set forth to create the perfect spy, the perfect tool for their kingdom. The next fifteen years my studies were increased, but there were other things as well. They conditioned me, manipulated me, forced me into the mold they needed. Through different tests and exercises and experiences I do not wish to get into they desensitized me from any emotions. There was no love, no hate, no happiness or pain. Simply my job, my duty, my purpose. I became machine like in my dedication to my training, both for my body and my mind. Their high mages wove a weave of spells around me, binding it to the Tattoo of my true Mother. Spells that would keep all scrying of my history to see only my years in Waterdeep, and then a false story of my existence that was built into my head.”

“When the twenty five years had ended, I was sent off into the world. Over the next century I traveled to almost every major land of Faerun. From Luskan to Baulders gate and down to Calimport. From Silverymoon to Citadel Akbar to Suzial. From the lands of the great rift up through Mulhurrand and into Thay. I went under different names, different persona’s, though always with a bit of arrogance there, always with my initials smiling slyly and superiorly at the people I worked against. Zander Reorx the traveling mercenary swashbuckler. Zyxion Rydel the quiet and calm enchanter. Zin Raldur the Shadow Thief of Amn. Zak Racon, assassin of Westgate. A different city, a different persona, a different job. Each of them in my head, every aspect of them; their history, their life, their actions and quirks, each as real as the next. Originally the courts sent me out simply as a spy. To watch over the interests of the elves and assure that things went as they hoped on the mainland, and to report back. As time continued however, my deeds grew darker when needed. If the elven courts deemed someone a danger in a countries government, it was my job to make sure that their breathing stopped. If an item or artifact of power was in the possession to those the courts felt did not need to have it, I would retrieve the thing. If a revolution needed to be spurred, I was the one smacking against its flanks to start it.”

“The end result of these things were good for the most part. Corrupt governments toppled or evil men stopped. However the actions I took during these times were not. I played my part, played it to the point where Zyphlin no longer existed save for in a tiny place in my mind, held up in a small box. Some of these people I played were far from good men. Murderer’s, thieves, womanizers, assassins, con artists, and the like. I did what I had to to play the part, and the only thing that lets me keep my sanity still to this day is that in the end it was always for the greater good…”

::sighing a bit, slumping down against the bed as he looks up, all the memories of old flooding into him:: “My servitude ended about twelve years ago. The courts can still contact me at any time, and bid me to do more…and likely I would oblige…but my forced time has ended. My payment to my country has bee given. My last job was in Damara and it had been a difficult one, ending with a battle between myself and a powerful wizard. I won the day, but almost all of my strength and skill had been sapped by magics he possessed. After it I had considered heading in a circle around Faerun, possibly heading back to my old home on the Sword Coast. It was then that I wandered, haggard and weakened, into a tiny barbarian town known as norwick.” ::Smiling a bit as he looked up to his love, his cold ice blue eyes meeting hers:: “The spirit of the people in the small city amazed me, the good I saw in some of their hearts. The joy in life. It intrigued me, confused me. I kept telling myself I would leave the next tenday, then the next, then the next. But part of me wouldn’t let myself leave, part of me saw that this place…this country and her people…could tear down all the walls I had built over the past century or so. That this was a place I could stay, I could be happy and learn what it was again to feel. But more importantly, it was a place to start over, to be human, and to do good. To forget about all the things I have done in the past, all the atrocities, all the horrible deeds, and move forward. To live my life for the moment and to do all the good I could do. It is what kept me in Norwick, and it is what brought me eventually here to Peltarch.”

:::smiling up, moving over to her and taking her hand as he looked into her soft elven eyes::: “ <e>So my love, you now know my story…one that I have never told another soul. If you want to leave me for the deeds of my past I understand, but I wanted to be honest with you, to let you know all of me.”

:::His love looked up at him, her face amazed and surprised, still letting the words of the story go through her head. Not being able to find any way to put into words what she was thinking as a reply, she leaned forward and took his head in her hands, pulling him into a kiss. He smiled, returning it, finally relaxing as the weight of a century finally began to slip off his shoulders:::</e>

• Reviewed - No XP Pending.