Being evil in Narfell

• a Level 1 Banite! Oh goodie! This just keeps getting better and better…We're coming back, watch out ya'll Bane rises in Narfell again. Mwuhahah :twisted:
    But yeah, I'll look for Nickolia, I don't mind hanging out around Banites of any Level. 😉

EDIT: Changed it to Nickolia instead of Dimitri. This explains why I sat frustrated IG and in IRC the other night. I knew you were on cause njkt was logged into IRC but I was looking for Dimitri IG, and Nickolia was right under my nose the whole time! >_< Man, im such an idiot.

• both of my characters Dimitri and Nickolai are evil, shoot a tell to Nickolai if yoiu don't mind hanging around a level 1 banite 😛

• If there are any evil characters willing to play with a Velsharoonite, just send me a tell IG.

In public view, Velsharoon is a servant of Mystra and Azuth (though few characters would know or look beyond what he stands for).

In secret, Velsharoon is allied with Shar and Talos.

Nick himself isn't actually evil, but he does as his lord wishes, neither does he hide the fact that he is a Velsharoonite, as he doesn't see his goals as evil.

• @ee0d9b054d:

Ask Zanetar.

Who is this…Zan...Et...Are you speak of? :?

• Julia is looking for a Bane contigent, can anyone give me some information?

Tell her to ask Rando

• @bccee3e2b9=Lynslayer:

Julia is looking for a Bane contigent, can anyone give me some information?

I believe it's sort of common knowledge that Banite are hanging around Oscura (though I could be wrong) but I doubt anybody is going to shout at you if your PC 'happens' to head down to a certain Temple underground 😉

• Yeah, he is fairly blatant about it, but that is only because Talos wishes it of him.

@d3cbe64002:

Lol yeah, you need to sharpen up into a Zanetar

I don't want to be a "Zanetar" lol… Though I do wish to get to know him a little better. (Hard to find other evils) But Zanetar seems to keep to himself, and keep his evil on the low. Arthus is different, he has a completely different personality and outlook on life than Zanetar as well. Zanetar is a banite, his low profile evil is probably what has kept him alive for so long. But Arthus, a Talosian, doesn't care if people know hes evil, as he now has much respect for the Stormlord. Arthus was once a great and devoted paladin of Torm. Now, the destructive, corruptive forces that Talos has unleashed on him can be noticed, first hand. Even if he dies permanently, at least he will be remembered forever, in Narfell history.
    (That reminds me! :idea: I will post the complete life story of Arthus soon… From his childhood, all the way up until the corruption that Talos brought down upon him.)

@d3cbe64002:

Arthus Goldmoon is comedy laughable evil. Walking into town going Muahahahaha I'm evil? I mean seriously!

I wouldn't just walk in and say: "I'm Evil" because, to be honest, Arthus doesn't know hes "become" evil, he just assumes he is pleasing his lord Talos, and that everyone who confronts, and/or has a problem with him, is, in turn evil. (His mind has been corrupted into not knowing the difference between good and evil. He thinks what he is doing is right.)

So basically, he thinks of all others as evil, and has sort of gone over the edge. Arthus is now proud to be a follower of Talos, and yes, he shows it.

Hint to players: Arthus had better watch his back around El'mael, and Arandor… The Silmarien brothers... They have not taken kindly to the brooding evil that now dwells within his soul. 😉

• Lol yeah, you need to sharpen up into a Zanetar 😄

• to be fair though Arthus Goldmoon is comedy laughable evil. Walking into town going Muahahahaha I'm evil? I mean seriously!

• What can I say?… Its hard being evil :twisted:

You will all see more of Arthus soon, mostly playing as Ska Maria Pastora at the moment.

Evil is hard to play, and many chars do not like evil characters... but just think of how Narfell would be with all good guys... (it would be a joke)

• Ask Zanetar.

• @85ea207abb=Ginestra:

@85ea207abb=blackstep:

Like how to survive as evil and how to gain power as evil in Narfell.

Find other players who want to do the same thing and play together? There's a small Malar contingent already, see if your playing times coincide.

Otherwise, I'll refer you to what you wrote:

@85ea207abb:

no one likes you, at least nearly no one, so you don't get much help from PCs.

Julia is looking for a Bane contigent, can anyone give me some information?

• Then perhaps add something in to your emote that indicates that it is being done in an un-noticeable way. I too assume that if you emote something there is some indication of such that I would see… eyes looking at my gold pouch wantingly, etc....

Also, I'm not saying people should metagame, I was just pointing out that EVERYONE does metagame to some degree (you do log out dont you?), and giving people things they have to remember to not know makes it hard on them... character names are a prime example of this... I dont remember every name, I read what it says above your head if I think my char knows your chars name, cause I suck with names. (This isn't directly applicable, just an example of using OOC stuff IG).

I personally hate having to remember what my char knows and what he doesnt know... if my char doesnt know it, I prefer not to know it, unless either I NEED to know it for deving, or its really interesting and fun to know like a cool story.

• In my opinion…

The best kind of evil is the subtle kind.

The kind of evil that characters and players don't expect.

• I just thought that emoting thoughts would be a fun way of playing an evil character without going around and PKing everyone. I don't want to be an arse and kill a chr that some player has put his heart and soul, and weeks of development, into. And I also don't want to be one of the million other chrs that just nod, grunts, snorts, and whatnots either.

But I do want to play an evil character that is well rounded and fleshed out. I can see how emoting thoughts have traditionally been used as tip offs for other players and how that isn't considered metagaming. Really, I don't care if others do metagame… that's their business.

I guess what I was looking for was a way to emote my character's thoughts to other players while keeping them private to other player's characters. That last line confuses even me but if you read it slowly you might get what I'm saying 🙂

So, I will probably continue doing that, even at my own character's risk, which I now understand and agree is not metagaming. I can see how I have also used emotes to tip off other players as well. Even my evil guy has looked to another character and emoted looks at Player B for a holy symbol of some type, now why would he single that guy out as a cleric? especially since he looks the same as a fighter. It's because I, as a player knows he's a cleric and as a player I know that my character needs that information.

I still don't get how Wald and Fine are psychic though :?

• I tend to assume that if someone is emoting a thought, they are giving some indication of what they are thinking. If you emote thinks give half a chance he would kill him, I'll assume that means there is a look in your characters eye or something that gives me a clue. If I'm not supposed to know what a character is thinking, why are they emoting it? This is not criticizing your way of doing things, I am just explaining why someone might respond to what you are doing, other than metagaming.

As a rule, I avoid emoting thoughts. I rarely emote motivations for my actions, unless somehow it would be obvious. If two people are speaking a strange language I don't wonder what they are saying instead I type looks at each as they speak, a confused look on his face. I leave it for the other characters to figure out what the motivations are.

Perhaps instead of emoting your characters thoughts, make stories in Tales by the Fire that show what your character is thinking during a given encounter. People will still be able to metagame, but it won't happen on the spot.

• I get that sometimes standign around Norwick fire people emote things like Wonder if Chaevre is going to advertise scrolls people expect me to suddenly shout out that i am a merchant or something? heh
    ive seen people laughs evilly too, i take it as they are laughing cause i dont know how an evil/good/neutral laugh might sound.

• So you are saying that other players can and should react to my character's thoughts? You'll have to explain that one to me so that I at least play the game right.

A typical emote might be: Wonders how much gold Bob is carrying.

Now here I am just rping my evil character without having to ask for PKs to prove he is evil. As a player, I don't want to be killing all the other characters off just to be evil, but I still want to rp my evil character as evil without having to ruin the game for other players. So I have evil thoughts. But I always act nice (it's totally IC for me to deceive others).

So if I emote wondering how much gold Bob has, how would Bob know that I am thinking about robbing him. Even if he were to notice me looking at him, how would he know that I am specifically thinking about robbing him?

Another emote might be: Hello Bob, well met thinks given half the chance he would kill him

Here he would know that I am looking at him and talking to him, but how would he know the stuff in the asterisks? Sometimes I might get anywhere from "I get a bad vibe off you" to the other guy pulling out his weapons saying "I'm warning you". All off what they should read as "Hello Bob, well met".

Now of course I could just keep my thoughts to myself and not emote them. But where's the fun in that? Doing so would reduce rping evil to simple PKs. I know that there will always be someone who responds to my thoughts OOC (especially newbies who don't realize this is a RP server), but I don't know how someone can respond to my thoughts IC.

Like I said, you'll have to explain that one to me, at least so I can play the game correctly.

• If you want to pretend to be one thing but inside be another, dont emote it. Personally, I dont recall every person I've met and what they did. Sometimes I read their name to remember what their name was, sometimes it takes an emote from them to remind me that I saw them summoning undead when I was spying on them…. and due to this, sometimes I accidentally remember a name I dont know, if its someone that is around a lot, that I think I know thier name, I just read the name over their head.

My point here is that metagaming is a part of gaming, we all do it, only some of us dont admit it. If you want to prevent metagaming about a certain topic, dont give people things to go off of... dont emote your thoughts of murdering people. Perhaps they would have detected evil on you without the emote, perhaps they wouldnt, but if you emote your thoughts, then they will either be said to be metagaming in that they sustpect you, or reverse metagaming in that they dont suspect you so people dont think they are metagaming, even though they really would suspect you. I see both ways happen, so just dont give them stuff to metagame.

• I am playing an evil character right now, a cleric of (God ommitted to prevent metagaming), and he is being really low key. He doesn't wear his holy symbol on the outside, keeps it real close to his heart under his tunic. He never casts around other people on the off chance that they may recognize the incantations and peg him as a cleric of (God ommitted to prevent metagaming). All of his murderous thoughts are never said aloud, as they are always emoted. And you know what? I guess everyone is psychic because a whole lot of people are responding to his emotes by moving away from him, shunning him, etc.

:?:

Even Wald and Fine are psychic or metagamers I guess because they rarely give him a job though my other good cleric got jobs with them all the time and has about the same stats. Go figure. I thought I might have trouble with Paladins or people who cast Detect Evil, but wouldn't they need a reason to? I guess it is reverse metagaming to assume that people would need a reason to detect evil, but seriously, how many people actually waste a slot on that spell? :?

So I guess it is hard to role play an evil character on Narfell if you actually want to role play them. If I just gave him an evil alignment, no one would probably be the wiser, ever. But actually role playing him as evil, even if it is just emotes, makes for a lonely night of playing 🙂

I guess I could go find some other people who worship (God ommitted to prevent metagaming) but I hope for their sake they are being more closet evil than I am :twisted: