The Return of the King

• One snowy day in the commons two men in blue livery with a gold fish emblazoned in gold thread appear. They place some wide crates in the middle of the commons. With a nod the second one blows a trumpet.

ahem Hear Ye! Hear Ye! All Citizens of Peltarch. I present to you TIDUS CLODPIN sole heir to the Fischer King!

With that a man walks into the commons, a long blue cape stitched in a pattern of fish scales draped over his lithe frame.

"Citizens! I hearby announce my intention to run for Peltarch Senate! Though you may not know me, you know the illustrious past of our dear city. The Fisher King, my most noble of ancestors, made this city possible. I intend to have it remain the diamond of the Icelace area.

As we have celebrated the Feast of the Fisher King, so too should we celebrate that which separates us from the heathens to the south. A lone outpost of civilization in this desolate country, we have an obligation to maintain high standards.

Only a few scant months after a devastating civil war, many men's minds wish to dwell on peace. I wish that it were so. But an enemy so nefarious is approaching on the wings, one that I am best apt to defend against!

Secret forces and spies from other cities wish to influence our dear city. Daily the immigrants and transients enter our walls, mingle with our wives, eye our children, and walk the streets unacosted! They spread their taint through our streets! Many are even friends of those running for office! Who speaks for Peltarch!? A Jyiidian? A Gypsy? A Norwick man? Friends! Do not be coddled into such a dangerous mindset.

My ancestors fought against a brutal tyrant so that we could live free. Do not squander our forefather's righteous blood spilled on this hallowed ground by selling out to foreign interests!

Here in my hand I have a document. It is an Oath of Loyalty signed by myself, pledging my undying patriotism and dedication to this fair city. It states in no uncertain terms that I am a citizen of Peltarch, that I would die for this city, and that I hold NO OTHER POWER IN HEAVEN OR ON TORIL ABOVE THE INTEREST OF THIS CITY!

Surely it is not much to ask that the true blue citizens of Peltarch sign these oaths before their votes are counted! Surely we can at least ask that our candidates do the same?

My friends. We are in a war. Though it is not fought with swords and spells it is no less dangerous! Our enemy is invisible. They are those who would sell this city out from under us. The traitors could be your mothers, your brothers, your friends and neighbors! Beware those who will not sign the oath!

Vote for Tidus! The only legitimate heir to the throne of Peltarch! Your patriotic son needs your vote"

With that, several men in Blood Spider armor clap loudly.

Tidus sweeps his cloak around him and marches with his men out of the commons.

• Ocean sees him and just laughs.

• Council of Moradin

Tidus can be seen around town, waving to people, spending coin at the shops, kissing babies. He wears a gold circlet reminicient of the one old King Tidus is pictured wearing in some old drawings and walks with a gold hewed staff. Several guards follow him to ensure his safely from the malcontents who slander his good name.

He often speaks of his plans for Peltarch's future and the greatness of the leadership the Seafarers have shown.

• Talgrath snorts and then nods contently after hearing the bards' tales. Obviously, the middle-aged captain isn't a fan of the so-called king's heir.

• _*over the recent weeks, a band of performers from Hoarsgate seems to have been visiting the Jewel of the Icelace. They move along the streets of taverns of the city, performing their feats of bardicness and spreading their tales of the lands beyond the iced water to those who have not been fortunate enough to have traveled far beyond the city walls. Their skills and performances are nothing spectacular compared to the high-class entertainment the city is used to from the local professional entertainers, but it is a nice passtime nonetheless, and especially so in the taverns, for with a few ales down, all jokes seem all the more funny, and all tricks and performances seem all the more wondrous (as do the women seem all the more becoming). Also, they seem to have hired the prestigeous stage of Narfell's beacon of art and entertainment, the Peltarch Theater, where they perform a simple play about pirates, heroic sailors, and a giant ball of yarn (you should have been there, it made sense, really!).

With the senatorial elections upcoming, it's often the subject of conversation, and once the word is around that these entertainers hail from Hoarsgate, questions do flow about Tidus Clodpin. "Is he really the ol' King's descendant? If I marry 'im, will I be 'n queen and all?" a feisty barmaid seeks to know. And the bards part with their knowledge, explaining how he has always claimed to be a descendant of the Fisher King, like his father before him. They're not too sure about becoming a queen, but placing a jester's cap on the serving wench' head one of the bards proclaims her the queen of the tavern – that should count for something...

"I don't know where people get the idea of making him a senator, but at least it'll keep the fool off the steets of Hoarsgate for a while," a bard says. The subject has turned to Clodpin, and that they seem content with, dealing out little bits of recent history about the man known as Tidus Clodpin. Though the entertainers hardly describe a charismatic leader, but rather the opposite. They speak of debts, and more debts, so big that nobody in Hoarsgate seems to have ever thought him to crawl out of them. They speak of people avoiding him where they could, trying not to be conned out of their coin. In general they depict the man known as Tidus Clodpin as a conman, a petty thief, a miscreant. They speak, in fact, not a single good word about him, and it seems the only thing about him that makes them happy, is that he is no longer in their Hoarsgate.

"Well, if he be in such debts, he can never afford them fancy clothes and the boat here now, can he? I bet ye me beer stein that yer all talking nonsense!" is the half-sober remark from someone in the back. But to that as well, the Hoarsgate artists have a repsonse. Some fancy looking folks arrived in Hoarsgate, and took Clodpin back with them. Somewere in between, he suddenly appeared with a big ol' sack of gold, paying off all his debts. "Looks to me like someone bought themselves a King's heir," a Hoarsgate bard notes.

They move from tavern to tavern, performing their arts, but always willing to dish out their tales of the nasty man Tidus seems to have been before he left Hoarsgate. And as the elections approach, more and more they are discussed over the ales and watered wines, and more and more the word about the true nature of the King's supposed heir...*_

• Hearing the speech as he passes by on the way to his shop, Foilir just raises an eyebrow and mutters. *

<d>Tool dropper.</d>

• Standing in front of one of his larger DISLOYALIST posters in the Docks, Tidus Clodpin gives a speech to the laborers, dock workers, and poor. Food and drink is provided, though the more rowdy are kept at bay.

_"Friends! As working men and women you know that the right tool can make a difficult job easy, and the wrong tool can make even the simplest tasks difficult.

It seems that bards, paladins, and warriors feel they are the correct tool for the job. If the Senate were a stage or a battle field, I would agree. Should the Eastlanders be cowed by a pretty song, or by brute force alone, I too would vote for my challengers.

But we are fighting more than the Eastlanders. We are fighting for the very soul of Peltarch. Disloyalists are taking your jobs, inflating prices with their ill gotten goods, jepoardizing our security, and sullying our noble blood.

Give the Bards their theater. They are better suited there.

Keep the Paladins and Warrirors free to fight the Eastlanders! Why waste their skills with politics? Should they not be spending their time better by defending our city in this time of war rather than making long winded speeches and campaign promises?

Not only that, but I am the only candidtate dealing directly with the Disloyalist problem, and the only one to sign a loyalty oath to Peltarch.

Why would that be? Unless the very people running are guilty of being Disloyalist themselves!"_

• A few hired men show up in the Dancing Mermaid and buy a few rounds for the patrons. They will buy drinks for anyone who will listen to them. Assuming the patrons know a bit about the history of Peltarch the hired men will further educate them.

"Listen 'ere. Yer mam prolly told ye 'bout the history of our noble town, eh? They says history repeats itself, and repeatin' it is! Ye know the story of the Fisher King? Course ye do!

Back when dis was jus an old fishin' hole ol' Hoarsgate thought they could own us. When the giants attacked it twas dem and ol' King Tidus what fought dem off. United for a common goal… but Peltarch is de jewel of the Icelace, an' Hoarsgate's men ne'er left. Dey turned from bein' frens to bein' an occ-cue-pie-in' force.

Soon our bruddahs in arms were tryin to become our masters. But King Tidus routed dem out o dis city. Ran em out and set up our glorious Senate.

We need someone like dat. Now the war is over, its time to get da Disloyalists outta Peltarch. Someone like Tidus would do da trick! Dat's my vote... Tidus!"

The story seems well rehersed.

• As with every candidate, Elissa can be seen listening to Tidus. But unlike on other occasions, her lips form a genuine smile.

• Peltarch Far Scouts

coughs then chuckles, as she over hears the news and gossip

Um, I'd reckon he'd say, "Thank tha' gods they were there, or else we'd all be payin' homage ta King Koreth."

• With a point at General Grag, Tidus adds:

"Therein lies my point, dear and noble friends! A foreigner with a military force fighting within our walls? What would King Tidus say? I shiver to think!"

• Raises an eyebrow at both Grag and Tidus. Looks at Dwin as he sips his ale. *

<d>Both have poor memories…. Me dares either of em teh touch deh Amn, deh axe of dwarven kings...

• They both start laughing at the thought, knowing the consequences of anyone not of Steelbrow bloodline touching the axe. *</d>

• Legion

General Grag walks by on one of his many stops to the great city and hears this man ramble

OH GREET TIDUS! Where were YE When My soldas and I from the South were here saving the women and children out of harms way during the civil war!!!" Smirks to one of his troops and walks off to do his business