Council deliberations, Trial of Uthger

• Lads an Lasses of the Council!

This has gone on long enough…when will we resolve this issue and let not just us, but the accused and the "victims" get back to normal lives?

I request a verdict! Frankly, we got more important things ta worry about!

Dwin pounds his fist ont the table making his points, then as he is about to sit, he looks as if he remembered something…

Oh, an if anyone needs anything dyed, see me afterwards.

• Lyte Bryte nods at Scutum's words.

I think Councilhin Scutum's suggestion sounds wise and fair, and as long as we arent forced to watch the Grag nakedness part, I'm in favor of this.

• ((For those involved, my apologies. It has been a rough week for me.))

Lens looks around the council chambers and asks if anybody else has something to add.

Scutum: "My friends, I've known Uthger and Grag both a long time, and I seen 'em both fightin' on the side o what's right more times than I can count. I can't even begin to understand what would make one attack the other, let alone to kill. It doesn't make any sense.

"Now Krig's word's better than gold in my mind. I'd say it's even better than pie. So I'm not goin' to argue 'bout what Tempus said or didn't say to Uthger. I know if Yondalla told me to kill somebody, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I said 'no'. But it's also not fair to Grag and Theo. They're good folks, too, and I'd feel awful sore if somebody attacked and killed me. Especially in my own home.

"I think we ought to strip em both naked and let the Paladins o the Divine Shield tell us if either o them is evil. If either one is, we can ban em, and if neither o them is, we let Dwin set the punishment for Uthger for killin folks, keepin in mind the suggestion offered by Miss Lyte Bryte."

Justene nods her head in apparent agreement with Scutum.

Vroka seems disinterested and tired. She is clutching her holy symbol and muttering from time to time. She seems to be staring out the window during most of the session.

Rulir: Bah! Jes' let'em fight an' be done wif it! Den we kin git back te drinkin ales an' makin' ready fer war wif te urks an' wif te elements!

Olem: He killed them folks. I don't care if it was six years ago. Ban his arse and we can move on.

Lens rubs his stubbly chin and seems to agree with Olem. "Anybody else?", he asks.

• When asked about the circumstances of this trial, Krig will tell everyone he knows nothing of what happened on those particular days. He will however testify to Uthger's Faith in Tempus and that he had never seen Uthger in all his years stray from that Faith. He will then tell of his own sacred day when Tempus Himself graced him with his presence. The relevance of this to the case is that no doubt was left in his heart as to who it was he was seeing that day. It was Tempus, there could be no doubt. As for Uthger's claim of Tempus directing his actions, if Uthger said it was Tempus, then there could be no doubt. For if he had made this up, Tempus would not be with him in his battles and Uthger surely would have fallen by now. This is of course explained by Krig in a none too soft tones, daring anyone to show the slightest doubt to his words.

• Scutum and Just'ene nod at Lyte's words.

Rulir rolls his eyes.

Olem and Lens mutter.

Vroka remains silent.

• Lyte politely waits for the others to finish what they have to say, then offers her opinion on the matter of whether there ought to be a punishment or not

_"It seems to me, after having carefully perused the testimony and the transcripts, that the accused offers paltry excuses for actions that do add up to murder.

He himself readily admits that this Cyrus was unarmed while the Featherlight attacked this fellow, and was trying to avoid fighting the Featherlight as much as was possible. The accused, according to all of the testimony, then attacked Cyrus in retaliation for the man only lightly defending himself while Cyrus was holding no weapon, while this Cyrus was encumbered with a body.

However, I think this may not be any of the Council's business, as it did not occur in Jiyyd, or near it, which was not brought up, but a very big point."_

She glances at her carefully penned notes in elvish

_"The other matter, however, clearly occured in the Legion Hall, inside the borders of Jiyyd itself.

If one looks carefully at the testimony on both sides, Grag had invited the accused to help slay a vampire, and the accused's attack did not begin until Grag had severed the head of the vampire in question.

How can the accused use the excuse that he feared trickery on Grag's part, that Grag was in league with the woman vampire, when clearly, Uthger's ambush of Grag, according to both sides, occured as the vampire fell dead to Grag's blow?

This, in addition to the subsequent arrival of the summoned undead, which helped the accused defeat Grag, and not vice a versa, very strongly suggests to me that the accused was on the vampire's side in this altercation, and not Grag and Theaons.

Which at best, seems to unravel his latter claims of an viable excuse outside of "his god told him to".

Everything in the testimony points towards this, and the fact that the accused apparently knew the vampire personally, instead of helping his case, tends to suggest a motive on the part of the accused…and remember this is a vampire we are talking about, despite what they might once have been.

I think we all can agree that if any of our gods told us to kill someone else in this room blindly on faith alone, we would each be guilty of a crime in the eyes of the city, no matter the intent of the god, for each of us lives in this city day to day here side by side, knowing that we abide under these laws, and are responsible for our actions within the town's limits, outside of what our gods decide...we still must live together in the community using certain common laws.

Therefore, it is my opinion that the accused clearly deserves a guilty verdict, although, I am inclined to think that it needs not be as harsh as death in this particular case, due to the mitigating circumstances of the accused's long and faithful services towards the cause of good, in such major undertakings as battling the Defiler, and the fact that the accusers seem to be after a sort of moral victory in this case, and seem not to be seeking blood.

I do think, however, if it is found that the accused is sentenced to public service, a stiff period of parole should accompany the sentence, so that he is prevented from attacking others, within the borders of town, whenever he is ordered to by his god, for I strongly feel spontaneous and nebulously motivated attacks like this ought to be severely punished on a second offense...no matter who is committing them.

That is all I have to say on the matter, and my thanks to the Council for putting up with my windy little speech."_

Lyte smiles politely

• Just'ene replies to Dwin: Let's agree he should be punished first before we punish him.

Lens begins to turn purple when the new parchment slides under the door.

Scutum slides off her chair and runs in a blur across the room to scoop up the sheet before Lens gets too worked up. She scans it quickly and says with a forced smile, "Oh, it's nothin the Watch can't handle. Carry on!" She shows the note to Just'ene who takes up a spot on the floor by the door with her sword resting on the floor with its tip pointed towards the narrow crack under the door.

Rulir: Bah, can we nae jes let'm fight it out?

Olem: Why bother? Let Grag kill him and be done with it.

Lens grunts in agreement wih Olem.

Vroka: Hims say kills Gragz n Teo 'cause hims tink Tempus tells hims to and 'cause wants to killz vampires. Is murder? Dunno. Is mistake maybes.

Scutum: Dwin, did Krig say he'd come?

• ((Scut's post of events overrides mine. However, my sentiments about outsiders posting in here remains the same.))

• Legion

Another parchment slid under the door

Dear council there was a small hin seen talking about how he stole shanties chickens because the chicken god told him too? He escaped unfortunatly… Also Thar is a ruma goin arund that Vroka is havin a affair wit uthger. Finnius is goin nuts in de heelin house please hurry up afor more crazy ruumas start flyin!
    Anonymous note :twisted:

• Dwin stands solemnly and addresses the council

Did he kill them? Aye, it appears as he did.

Was it murder? That I cant say. Murder, to me, is a vile act in which yer takin someone's life fer selfish reasons. Whether tempus told him to do this or not, the lad wasn't killin no un fer selfish reasons, as he has explained.

Frankly, if Moradin imself told me to do sumtin, whatever it may be, I would have a hard time disobeyin' his word. I ask all o you ti put yerself in that position and ask what you would do.

He killed folks, and fer that there must be consequences, but I think there should be a certain level of leniency here for a hero that was perhaps misguided by his own faith.

Fer all these reasons, I feel I must abstain from votin'. I know it wont make a difference.

As fer his imminent punishment, I would be happy to take him on to do a years worth of community service, under my supervision, to do things such as reinforce the gates, fix the bridge, oil that farkin squeaky windmill, etc. We could even get him started on assemblin them archer towers we need so badly.

Dwin bows slightly and nods to Lens before he returns to his seat.

• Lyte looks seriously unamused at the notion she would break any oath she makes, yet her voice retains great charm, ((16 charisma)), soothing and lilting all the while setting forth a comfortable commanding air of discipline and respect

she rises

"My word is my life, ladies and gentlemen of the Council, and may Mielikki strike me down if I have blabbered a breath about the proceedings here, or if I know of General Grags secret methods of gathering intellligence.

Perhaps he does indeed have cloaked invisible scout so skilled that none of us might see them…"

she pauses suddenly listening and frowns, and glances towards the large Council doors

"... or perhaps that heavy noisome wind we hear nearby, coming from under the threshold of yon chamber door is the good General's anxious breath awaiting news of our decision, and he simply is overly eager to hear our verdict, and cant help but spy upon us in his great anxiety to see justice served."

"I vote heartily Yea!"

• Olem picks up the note slid under the door, reads it, and laughs. Wiping tears from the corner of his eyes he hands it to Lens who reads it aloud.

Lens slams the note on the table and casts a withering stare at Lyte. "Either you're not holding your oath, Major", he spits, "or the Legion has spies lurking around our chamber as we speak!"

He looks back at the note and angrily crumples the parchment into a ball. He holds it up in his fist and turns back to Lyte. "And he was ALREADY banned!" He throws the balled-up parchment across the room at the chamber door.

Vroka mixes up a foul smelling brew and gives it to Lens to settle his growing ulcer.

Olem continues to laugh until an annoyed Just'ene socks him in the arm. She then stands. "I make a motion that should we proceed to a punishment stage, that Dwin be allowed the first proposal.

Scutum seconds the motion.

Lens: "All in favor?"

Looking around the room he sees hands raised by Just'ene, Scutum, Rulir, Vroka, and…

• Legion

Paper with the Toff legion symbol on it

Dear council, Being as we are a smull town rumas cum an go to me while ye been in delibirations.. I want to make sumting clear I would like Uthger banned frum town unce the trials are over if found guilty.

Also I would like the council to offer a solution to another problem we need manual labor in the commin year for heelp buildin walls an defense towas an things of the likes. If Utheger does nae wish to be banned and wuld take his puunishment as manual labur in town fer a year or twu I wuld be all fer dis as his punishmetn to think uf an attone fer his murders. Mayhaps we can show that by the grace uf our guud guds we are bedda then a murdera an willin ta give him a nutha chance cunsiderin his lung past of duin guud fer the land as weel. I have prayed lung and hard un this matta and found dat death fer a death is nae always the solution. Hope my wurds ring true to me fellow council membas and may Tyr guide all yer paths!

Yours Truly,
    General Grag

• Dwin slowly raises a finger, with a serious look on his face

Lens, it don't sit right with me that the accused is ta be punished, should he be found guilty, by his own accuser.

I know Grag be the one dishin' out penalties 'round here in the past, and he's done a fine job of it, I am sure we all agree. But I think his ingots are a little too close to the forge on this one and someone else …

Dwin bows slightly

…like yourself, perhaps, should suggest the appropriate punishment....should we need one.

• Rulir: Beggin yer pardon, Lens, but 'at Ootger said dem Fedderflights were sore at 'at Cyrus fer years o robbin der coffers in da fedderfolks valley.

Lens fixes Rulir with a hard stare. It is apparent he is more insterested in a quick result that will satisfy the masses and less about being thorough.

Lens: Fine. Now, Miss Gaede. Until recently, this was a small farming community. We had no reason for big city law because we didn't have big city crime. Most serious offenses were met with a banning from town and we were done with it.

Now, since General Grag already had a ban in place against the accused, perhaps we should ask him to tell us what he had in mind for punishment at the end of this trial, presuming it goes as he expects?

• @19b34ea3af:

Lens: Dwin, could you please ask Krig to speak before the Council so that we might learn more about Tempus and whether or not Uthger's claim makes any sense?

Dwin nods respectfully

Aye, I will ask Krig to come speak as an expert in this area…

I also move that the crime of summonin' undead be dropped, as no one can prove who did it at this point, and we got enough crimes to dealwith already. Tis a waste o time to be deliberatin' on sumtin dat cant be proved at this point, especially with no evidence such as bats er guano to work with.

Dwin heads out to find Krig.

• Lyte stands respectfully with a question, before proceedings get under way

"I would request a reading of the exact laws of Jiyyd regarding murder, to be able to fairly judge Uthger's actions, and to see if acting on a voice from one's god does or does not make for a mitigating circumstance under the laws of the town."

she sits

• Scutum: I'm sorry to report I've been unable to find Maya to deliver the Council's request to her.

Lens: Dwin, could you please ask Krig to speak before the Council so that we might learn more about Tempus and whether or not Uthger's claim makes any sense?

Does anybody else have more information that may be relavent to the trial?

• Lens begins by reading the transcript of the trial and by offering the following summary:

The charges against Uthger are murder against Grag and Theaon in the Legion Hall, attempted murder against Ka'ell in the Legion Hall, murder against Cyrus in what may be land claimed by the Featherflights or by orcs, and the use of evil magic to summon undead warriors to fight on his behalf.

Uthger did not deny killing the three persons who were killed.

Uthger denies any involvement in the summoning of any undead allies, and claims to have destroyed them himself.

Grag offered no motive behind the killings other than Uthger is a violent betraying backstabber who may be mentally unstable.

Uthger claims that he killed Grag and Theaon because he thought they were working with a vampire to lure him into a trap, and because his god, Tempus, told him to.

Uthger claims he killed Cyrus in defense of his "kinsmen", the Featherflights.

Neither side offered information as to why the Featherflights may have been attacking the man known as Cyrus.

• Eligible Councillors:

Council Members

• Head Councilor: Lens Undon
    • Defense: Just'ene Bri Thank'ses
    • Trade/Travel/Commerce - Valuldur Dedraliadys'varilo
    • Agriculture/Livestock/Health: Vroka
    • Land Allocation: Maria Otarch (sick, Rulir Ironhorn sat in her place)
    • Other Councillors: Olem Otarch

Guild Leaders

• Legion: Grag (in trial, Lyte Bry'Gaede sat in his place)
    • Crafters: Krig Skullboil/Dwin Dolvak
    • Silver Valley: Atel Spear (newly elected, Scutum sat during trial)
    • Four Winds Monastery: Scutum Hedges
    • Divine Shield: ? (no representative sat during trial)

Prior to opening the closed door deliberations, Vroka swears each member of the Council to secrecy, and each member takes a vow to speak only the truth as they know it.