- FAQ Index - CHECK HERE FIRST! -

• last edited: Dec 30, 2003

Problems

Getting Booted?
    The Narfell server has 60 slots in total, but 10 of them are reserved for DMs (Dungeon Masters or Game Masters or Server Admins) and cannot be used by players. That leaves 50 slots for players. If the server is showing up as 50/60 or higher and you get a message that you have been booted, that means that 50 players are on and all of the player slots are being used.

You can possibly get on when that number is above 50 IF and only if there are DMs in game. Example: 52/60 is showing and 3 DMs are in game, which means there is one free player slot. There is no way from the outside to see if the slots are being used by DMs or Player so the best way to check is to attempt to log in. If you get the booted message, you know that there are no Player slots available, and you should recheck when you see the number of available slots drop by one.

Been Banned?

1. Don’t take it personally.
    2. Have patience.
    3. Do not post anything about your situation on the public forums. It is the quickest way to make the people that can help you out of this situation angry. Send Personal Messages (PMs) to those involved for assistance. You can find individual PM links in the Memberlist or for DMs in the Usergroup link under the Narfell DM drop down.
    4. Do not attempt to blame or find fault in others for the circumstance. Even if you feel that you were unjustly banned, hold your tongue. The admins of this server and site have not banned you because of personal reasons, no matter if that is what you think; they have banned you for a reason that is in line with server rules.
    5. If you were banned because a friend was using your machine and/or account… tough. There is no way for the admins to know that it was not you and your account is your responsibility, even if the banning offense was not your action.
    6. First, contact the admin that banned you and try to work it out with them. If you cannot come to some consensus, then and only then, contact Masume (see 7 below).
    7. Masume is the head of Narfell. He is insanely busy with developing the server and administering to a large base of Game Masters. Send him one PM explaining the situation as briefly as possible and then be patient. The less patient you are… the less likely he is to grant you a second chance. If you have not heard back in a week, send him another PM, or PM one of the Player Guides (found in the Main Contacts out of Game listing below).
    8. Remember that no one owes you anything. We are a community of friends and you have probably broken a rule or etiquette. Reversing a ruling on a banning is a favor and is not owed to anyone.

Character Gone or Bugged?
    Your character may have been wiped in the latest Server Vault cleaning. RaDSaM is the admin that handles this task and does the cleaning sporadically about once every season/quarter. Generally, characters that have not been logged in to Narfell for 60 days will be deleted. Send him a PM and he may be able to pull up your character file from backups. You can find his Personal Message (PM) link in the Memberlist. Do not post this request in the public forums. If for some reason you believe your character was bugged, post a listing in the Bug Reporting Forum.

• Sorry all… I had been working on the FAQs page with Lisara and RaDSaM and slacked off during the holidays. BrianJ, if you want to take over I will post what I have thus far, feel free... but be prepared for sensory overload... I was still trying to pair this down. Also, keep in mind that I think the idea was to replace the FAQ screens with this information.

• I will be working on getting all of these FAQs over to the front page. I will go one at a time, working my way down the index. Please message me if you have any updates to your FAQs.

And thanks for digging these up from the forums.

• Oops, missed one from the transition to the new forums… fixed now. Thanks! 😉 x42

• @4eb0a8aa19=Kerby:

Hopefully this index will help:
    Character Creation:
    Portrait Pak

=>
    @4eb0a8aa19:

Sorry, this Module isn't active!

[ Go Back ]

too bad, would like some up-to-date info about handling portrait files.
    Was this supposed to link to
    http://nwn.black-flag.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1199 ?

• You rock RaD! I am working on a FAQs listing that will eventually replace this one, so that we won't have to worry over missing links and underlying threads disappearing.

Sneak peek:

Problems
    Getting Booted?
    Been Banned?
    Character Gone or Bugged?

Rules
    Logging Out to Avoid Consequences
    Player versus Player (PvP) or Player Killing (PKing)
    Death & Resurrection Policy
    Exploits
    Twinking
    Reimbursement of XP/gold/items
    Looting
    Pick Pocketing
    Citizens Token
    Guilds
    Custom Items
    Player Abuse

Communications
    Main Contacts out of Game
    DM Channel Use (In Game)
    Tell Channel Use (In Character)
    Guidelines Forum Use
    Narfell Chat room (mIRC)
    Yahoo Groups Gallery (Application Needed to Access)

Narfell Differences
    XP System & Partying
    Role Playing XP (RP XP)
    SoU & Haks
    HCR Traps & Locks (Search Tool)
    Tracking Tool
    Narfell World/Server Updates
    Healing others with Potions
    Crafting System (ATS/MTS/CNR)
    Emote Wand

Gaming Tips
    Role Playing (RPing)
    Changing Camera Angle
    Server Style & on having Fun
    Background & Maps of the World of Toril
    Metagaming & Powergaming

Character Creation
    On Playing Evil Characters
    Titles
    Races & Subraces (supported/illegal)
    Already Existing Character Names on Narfell
    Gods of Toril & Narfell
    Changing &/or Rebuilding Characters

Campaign Background
    Background Non-Player Characters of Note
    Use of Emote Wand for Dice Rolls
    Racial Languages
    History of Narfell
    Starting Areas Information

Cheers - Kerby

• 11.18.03 *
    • updated the broken links due to server move
    • marked the missing links for Kerby to update/locate

-RaDSaM

• Sorry, been out over the weekend… man, if this is what happens when I go on a shopping trip, I'm going to have to start hopping more via internet! 😉

I'll get it cleaned up. Thanks Father.

• Kerby, unfortunately your excellent post on FAQs links to the old forums, which don't exist.

• You guys rule.

And someday we will learn to bottle Kerby and sell her to small businesses. Be the next big thing after Fax Machines.

The rules O rez are:

1 Soul Shard which raises you and sets your XP to 1. You are given it at character creation and it disapears when you use it or hit level 2.

True Rez: Currently very expensive (6500gold) and available only by traveling to peltarch. No XP is lost from this.

Raise Dead: Can be performed by a Cleric of high enough level who has a Diamond (which costs 500 gold) or can also be performed by the Cleric/Healer in Jiyyd, Peltarch, or Norwick. The NPC will be more expensive than the 500 gold based on your level. You will be put in the middle of the last level you attained. Thus if you are level 7, you will be put halfway between 6 and 7 after raise.

Succubus: In the Fugue (Heaven) is a Succubus who will return you to life and will take one level and then put you at the middle of the level before that. Thus a level seven will be half way between 5 and 6 after raise.

In every death you will loose all your non token items, so you better hope there are friends who will pick up your stuff for you and return it to you when you are raised.

There are no Rezzes given by DMs for bugs, lag, stupidity, transition problems, etc etc etc. Sometimes the DMs will issue free rezzes if they make a mistake and kill you. (IE you were sitting in town and they right-clicked the kill button on you) They will usually NOT give you a free rez if you die on a quest. In other words, if you die, for any reason, don't plan on help from the DMs, use one of the above methods.

• I'd just like to observe that the 'Death and Ressurrection' part of the FAQ list is tremendously underdetailed… all it basically is is a blanket statement of "don't expect a free res from the DMs, bucko." I think a detailed post on exactly what the penalties of death in Narf are would be very, very useful, and might help the newb mortality rate.

As I understand it (without confidence, please correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am) the policies are as such:

<snip>If someone more knowledgable than I could write up the correct details and link it in, I think this'd be a boon.

EDIT: See Illuminatus' post below for the reply and details.

-Lagermane</snip>

• I played a svirfneblin in PnP once, it was amusing to say the least… he went the way of my Fey'ri Wizard though... smashed under a rock by a giant.

• @e2da087984=X-Kalibur:

Nobody wants to be stinky ol' Duergar anyway 😛

Well, who'd want to play a svirfneblin, for crying out loud?Those were on the list before… With the current numbers of dwarves and gnomes, I'd figure duergar are more likely to appear than svirfneblin ^_^

• @d7a06acb70=Kerby:

Not Allowed (without a Citizen’s Token and DM Permission) includes - Planetouched, Tiefling…

I worded it this way to make sure that it was not an all inclusive list. But thanks, I've updated it. 😉

• Nobody wants to be stinky ol' Duergar anyway 😛

• Think you forgot Duergar in the not-allowed-list o_o

• Nice work Kerby et al 😄

Stickied.

• This is great 🙂

I want to add something too!

The Fixed World Clock - For those that have troubles with the timezones.

Realms Help - I use this site for reference about almost anything in the FR. Now its your time 😉

• good work guys, keep it up 🙂