Surviving Dm events

• As a fellow stumbler my advise, as has been stated before, is drop a tell to the DM channel and ask if you are unsure. Personally I fly by the principle that if my Character has a Valad reason for being in an event that he should RP as best he can into the event, and if his help is not needed walk away. For example My Character has extreme hatred of the Undead … which is funny that he isn't in many undead events, but if there was one going on he will ask questions, and if undead should sprout out of the ground in Jiyyd and he hears of it you better believe he will be running there with a dark look in his eyes and his arrows ready to fly. Of course if a DM says turn around or be smotted he will turn around willed away by a greater force then he, ... maybe his stomach tells him he is hungry and to get a sandwich at the Boarshead. However as I have learned there are events that you Fall into ... then there are events that LAND on you. Try and figure out which is which. My character ran across some goblins roaming too far north. So I investigated and it lead me to another group already investigating it. I'd say I fell into that and the DM was kind enough to let me in on the fun. Then there is the LANDING one where your just sittin by the fire when a hoard of gobbos attack Nork. Sometimes you could be just walking to a town for RP purposes want to buy thier stuff cus its cheap ... when you get there you see a ton of Orcs knocking on the door. They don't look like they are selling stuff, they turn and see you, guess what you ran into an event and depending on the DM a Crusher may spawn and turn you to mush or you could survive into the safty of the walls and be sucked up in a defend the town event. When in doubt PM the DM Channel and ask if its ok that your there, otherwise play it as your character would, are they self rightious? Goody Goody? Or walk away as the Orcs tear the defenders a new one. whispers If a DM tells you to go keep RPing your way out, show them they are missing out on some amusing RP by not having you in thier event ^_^ ((granted never happened to me before but hey try it)).

"Just tossing my thoughts to the wind, Listen if you will"

• if there is a dm event can a char rp into it? or should they see if they get invited to or some how get mixed up in the event, or should the char just leave? im asking couse i useually just stumble into events.

• Why oh why did I attack that Goblin shortie?

Thanks for the advice. Very nice.

• Thanks for the information…I had an incredible time...I'think the pauses were great it was like everyone regrouping and trying to figure out what to do next. Maybe next time I'll actually kill something lol...Thanks for a great late friday night activity.

• Glad you liked it. Yep, there are breaks between attack waves for a number of reasons, including among others…

1. Gives the defenders time to heal.
    2. DMs get called off for tiny chores constantly.
    3. Gives us a chance to sneak in among you and get immediate feedback, plus hear your expectations for next attack.
    4. Having to shoo off people who accidently wander into the staging area.
    5. Determining what exactly is going to come next.

We're only human, so anything you can do to help us make your events better, go for it.

• I was involved in a defense of the Southgate in Norwick last night and it was GREAT! Though at times, it was slow…it gave time to recoup and rest and RP a bit.

• That explains a lot! Thanks!

• A blast from the past but still great advice…

• ((WHY WHY did I attack that orcish messenger ? The cuttthroat captive? The rampaging grey render..))

• Do the DM's the main plotline?

• as long as the DM who's running it wants the event to be =P

• Well said. Just how long are DM Quests?

• If you see a Gray Render running around town and your a LVL 1 Cleric…don`t shoot an arrow at it. I learned the hard way. 😉

• I agree 100% with what Viragos is saying, but I want to add a few things to this list. Some of this is second nature to many people on the server, but I still think it bears repeating

Listen to the DM Do not get in the habit of only watching text that appears in the main window, keep an eye on your message window for tells from a DM with information, instructions, etc. Also, there will be times when a DM will use Talk mode that only appears in your message window. If a DM asks you to make a roll of some kind, do it as soon as you can.

Act on information given to you If a DM sends a tell to you about something concerning the event, act on it. Many times only some people in a party will notice something, think of something, be affected by something. If you need clarification from a DM, send a response in a tell or on the DM channel. In some cases it is In Character to keep something to yourself, but for the most part, information is given to be either shared, or acted on. If you do choose not to act on something, let the DM know you did recieve the information and choose not to act.

Have a party leader This usally goes without saying that there is a party leader, but what does that mean? If the party comes up with a plan to deal with a situation, the party leader should make sure the DM is aware of what is happening. Many times DM's are running all over the place and are not in listening range at all times. It is always a good idea to at least make sure the DM involved gets a heads-up in a tell or on the DM channel as to what you are doing.

Remain in talk mode unless another channel is absolutely necessary If your group is hatching a scheme and it makes sense to do it in whispers, either have the party leader recap the conversation to the DM or simply emote the hushed tones. When running an event, it is much easier to focus on one channel of conversation to deal with, if a group is using a combination of party and talk mode, things can be missed by the DM. The only time a group should switch to party mode is if they are communicating across a transition for some reason.

Keep OOC comments to a minimum This is a good policy in general, but especially during a DM event. OOC comments can add to confusion as important IC information gets buried. If you have an OOC comment, question that directly pertains to the event, ask in tells either to the DM or other players.

Be patient if the group splits up In most cases, only one DM is handling an event. If those involved decide to split up for some reason, prepare to have things slow down as the DM must split time amongst the groups. Some situations can be handled long distance through tells, but for the most part, the DM will want to be present. This sin't meant to say never split up, becasue that is the furthest from the truth. Some of the most fun I have had are in events where a group splits up and the pieces come together seperately. But be aware that when this happens you might end up alone for some time.

Feel free to comment on these points I made

• To: [Viragos]

wow… do I get paid for your book? JK well said... very good info...

• Good Info. Thanks for the Post..

• Great post! I heard some/most of it on IRC last night before I logged in, but missed the first 4 or 5 points.

Now… if I can only get in on another event. 🙂 I was part of a defense of the South Gate of Norwick about a week ago, which was fun.

• I think this is the most important @0ca7c903c6:

Know when to RUN.

• Give it a sticky, Admins!

• Well said!