Diary of a Life Reborn

• Entry 67

I've been allowing Kat and Keerla to keep teasing me. I know I shouldn't. At least, I've got to draw a line. Though I think part of me keeps hoping Thorn will swoop in to rescue me. That's awfully selfish of me, I know. I should just face reality and move on.

Yet another thing I'm jealous of Lorie for. She found love with Jerrick and kept that love. They had two lovely daughters. And even though Jerrick is stuck away on some god-given task, I can tell their love never faded.

Me? Andu came and went a couple of times. He was a good mate, but gone. Kiana started off as a fling, but grew into an intense love for each other. Yet, she vanished. Thorn… Well, considering he already had Fadia (and Adriell before that), it was never going to happen. If not for that, we probably would have become mates. But again, he's not here.

To be honest, I kind of feel like I shouldn't bother for now. I've not had much luck finding a lasting love like Lorie did.

• Entry 66

The past days have had both good and bad. I'll start with the bad first to get it out of the way.

Hedia had arranged a masquerade celebration to honor the defeat of the demons in Jiyyd and the closing of the abyssal portal. I had almost forgotten about it and showed up late. Still, it was a nice affair. Except that it ended in tragedy. The bartender apparently slipped in one of those drinks that turn people into undead. This time the victim turned into a giant beast of a zombie thing. Nobody else was seriously hurt, fortunately. After some discussion with the manager, everybody headed off to find the bartender. I didn't follow, there were more than enough to crowd the streets. I'll have to check with Leena to see what happened.

Speaking of Leena, let's get to some good news. She's engaged! I'll need to pester details out of her on how Arty proposed. I'm happy for them both. Arty and Leena make a really cute couple.

Also, I appear to have a fan! Some bard by the name of Nate apparently remembers me as I used to be. Not directly, more that he's heard tales (as bards do). I must admit, I find his excitement in just having seen me to be quite amusing. I wonder what would happen if I actually said hello.

• Entry 65

A few interesting discussions lately.

First, I spent some more time with Keerla. Last month I had started telling her about my past and how I became who I am today, specifically about Lorie and I. I didn't get to finish the story, so she asked me for the other half. In return, I got her to tell me about her past. It's nice that we got to share stories of ourselves that we haven't really told anybody else about. Trust is important with family and friends. We also talked about past loves. Well, Keerla only had one. Me, I've only had two.

No, stop lying to yourself. Three. Thorn, you loved him. Granted that was a no go because he had Fadia, but you still loved him. And worry about him.

I also got to talk to Aoth while hunting in the kobold caverns. She's an interesting sort. She almost always acts reserved. And some questions she will ask people are usually crafted to make the other person really think. It's her questions that remind me of an old friend, Khaya. Khaya was a priestess of Oghma, and I always felt a bit mentally fatigued after talking to her because she always made me really, really think. I suspect Aoth would take that as a compliment. Khaya did.

Last night, I was with Kat. She needed me to help her. I still hope to find some way to solve her problem for good, but… it's not something I think that would be an easy fix, or if fixing is possible. I say that based on my own experiences and at how complicated she seems.

She gave me a gift. I mentioned how I was trying to save up money to get a new armor that would let me cast spells better and also sneak better. And she so happened to have a suit of displacer beast leather armor. It left me a bit amazed that she gave it to me! Not fully surprised, but still, I've got the armor I wanted.

But still, Kat's a complicated situation for a lot of reasons. What am I gonna do?

• Entry 64

Money. Honestly, it's something I don't usually make a fuss about, since I live in the woods. I usually just worry about gathering enough gold to cover any healing potions I use up, or arrows. But some people? Money can be everything. And that kind of attachment to money seems to lead to bad things. Greed can be ugly.

Case in point, the trouble that found me when I went to visit Peltarch. (Isn't it always like that? You only find trouble when you don't look for it.) This banker started asking Roslyn if she's found out about something he was wanting to know. Roslyn is a halfing friend of Leena's that has a knack for finding information. So this banker fellow (who was rather rude, mind you) had received a notice requesting some transfer of funds with a bank in Baldur's Gate but something seemed shady so he wanted to know more about it.

Soon after he left, a few odd people showed up. They looked like some kind of mercenary company at first, but by their attitude it felt more like a gang of cutthroats. They started to harrass this blond-haired female warrior. Sounded like she thwarted plans in the past. But it also turns out she's a member of the Peltarch Guard and arrested them.

In hind sight, I wonder if that trio was sent to Peltarch as a distraction.

After the guards hauled the thugs away, all of us adventurers decided we needed to check Norwick, where there was a woman that was wanted by the thugs. Leena used her tree-walking spell to get us there. Sure enough, there were a large group of thugs, and they had the town militia beat up. And their leader was there. Words were exchanged, an offer made and rejected… and then a big fight.

When we defeated the thugs, these contingency spells would trigger, both bringing the thug back to life and teleporting them away. And in the middle of our big brawl, Roslyn busts out of the inn's window with the girl they were looking for, while more thugs poured out of the tavern. The thugs weren't anything we couldn't handle though. That leader, Kurth, though, he was a tough one. And to think he only used his fists! But before we could kill him, he used something to teleport away too.

Why would this Kurth go through all this trouble? Money. Specifically, this girl's brother left an inheritance to her.

Like I said, greed can be ugly. It turns people into monsters.

• Entry 63

I had decided to spend some time in the Rawlinswood, and decided to visit the druid glen. It's been a long time since I actually had stepped foot in the glen and was looking forward to seeing it again. I wish I could say it was a relaxing time, but the moment I arrived I found myself involved in helping to stand guard over Leena and Aoth as they performed a ritual. They did succeed with what they were attempting, but then some nefarious shenanigans happened after. Why is it that I have such a knack for finding situations that put me in over my head?

And yes, I realize I'm being vague on what happened. There's the possibility said nefarious forces are scrying. If they are, then I hope they are disappointed that I won't elaborate.

Last night, I was finally able to get Kathea to open up to me about what is bothering her. Her problems are very much NOT what I expected. Again, I will not provide details here. I promised her that what she told me would remain secret. I don't share this diary with anybody, but it's conceivable that I could lose it someday and so I will honor my promise and be discreet.

Honestly? I'm even more worried for her. I've had experience with her problem before, yet this already looks to be much more complicated. I need to think on how I can help. For now, just be there for her? That seems right.

This is going to be another problem that'll be over my head, won't it?

• Entry 62

Raryldor has had this cat with him for years and years and years. Bigby's his name. I'm not sure what kind of cat he is, but I'm pretty sure he's not an ordinary cat. He's smarter than most cats, at least. He's a mischievous one, often trying to get into people's belongings to swipe some food or a shiny trinket.

He seems to be fond of me. He often seeks me out for a snack or affection. And of course I oblige. Today he decided to give me a gift instead. He caught a pigeon and presented it to me to have as a snack.

I know that would probably make most people cringe. But not me. I used to be a cat after all. I think Bigby senses that.

The bird made a nice snack. Keerla thought so, too. She had asked for a wing. No, that didn't surprise me. When I first met Keerla, that girl was skinnier than a sapling. She probably is used to eating whatever food she could scrap together when she was growing up. She's starting to become like a little sister to me, lately. Today she had asked for some advice on what to do to woo somebody. I hope I gave her some good advice. At the very least, I gave her honest advice.

• Entry 61

The big news is that the demon portals in Jiyyd have finally been closed. I don't know the full story yet, but it's hard not to hear rumors of it. Of course, with victory came a price, some people did die in the battle, but were brought back.

One of those being Hedia. She's taking it a bit hard. Death tends to weaken the spirit when you are brought back to life, and with her she feels her connection to her goddess has lessened. She can't help but second guess herself because of it.

I can understand her pain. Faith to a divine servant is a very personal thing, I imagine. It's part of what defines them. To lose some of that would be like losing a part of yourself.

Now, despite what I'm about to write next, I want to stress one thing (even just if it's for myself and not whoever discovers this journal and reads about me). I hold no ill will toward Lorie and forgive her for what wrongs she's done to me.

The feline beast within her, that call of the Wild… It used to be mine. I had embraced it in my heart, I was as much a cat as a person sometimes. I gave that up when Lorie and I split. I do not feel the call of the Wild in me. Though I still have some feline mannerisms, I am no longer a cat.

I miss it. I am sometimes very jealous of Lorie.

If there's any proof of me forgiving her, I guess this would be it.

I move on though. There is more to me than the feline I used to be. I am still a sorceress. I am a scout. And now I'm a knight.

A knight. I still find that funny.

• Entry 60

Poor Shae is such an innocent soul. Or sheltered, rather. She doesn't quite understand innuendo, which made for a hilarious conversation with her and Cecil. It made me think of Thorn, and how he and I used to joke around.

I really do miss him. Selûne, please make sure he's safe.

• Entry 59

It's official now. The Knights Requietum. It'll feel funny calling myself a knight. It'll probably be funnier having people salute me. I'm excited though.

For Shae, this isn't just reviving the old Order of the Watchful Repose. The Knights Requietum will be something more. Not focused on just undead, but devils, demons, evil mages, and lycans.

That last one would make me seem to be an odd choice, I bet. Yet, I think I see what Shae is thinking of with choosing me. Lycans are complex. Yes, there are some (perhaps many) who are evil and blood-thirsty. But obviously, there are some who aren't (after all, I lived the life of one, and my sister still does). And then there are those who are simply suffering the curse of lycanthropy. I think that's where I can help the most. If we can free those of the curse rather than hunting them down, we'd save innocent lives. And we'll stop the evil ones from hurting others and spreading the curse.

So it makes sense to me for Shae to ask me to join her Knights. What surprised me is that she wants me to be a "Sword Captain Arcanus." She's making me a leader. I'll be overseeing the magical conduct of the group. If this isn't a sign that I should focus on my magic more, I don't know what is!

I'm a bit nervous, I admit. This sounds like a lot for me to take on, but this feels like an opportunity that I should not skip. So I'll be praying extra hard to Selûne to guide me in my role to come.

I also should pray some for Kathea. She was upset earlier this evening and asked me to sit with her. She told me the reason she was bothered was because she thought she got Laerune mad. She didn't seem to want to talk more about what happened. I think Kathea just wanted me there with her.

I can understand feeling bad at upsetting somebody. I know I feel bad when I do. But I can't shake the feeling that there is something more that is bothering Kathea. I especially can't help but think this considering the other night when she took Keerla, Laerune, and I into the Underdark.

Should I pry more? It seems to be something Kathea's not willing to talk about. She probably should though. I'll have to see if I can get her to open up about it.

• Entry 58

Selûne seems to have a way of giving me a nudge in the right direction when I'm feeling down. And I can see the path clearly.

Shae Aers asked to speak with me today, and what she shared was both expected and surprising. She's extended an offer to me, and I feel it's something I should accept. It'll be good for me. I gain something I have come to realize I've been lacking.

A goal, a purpose. Something to strive for.

And something to belong to.

I feel excited by this.

• Entry 57

Wow. This was a day. After meeting up with Leena, Arty, and Rasuil, I spent much of the day with them and Kathea in the city commons. And wow. Things exploded. Verbally I mean, not literally. I found myself a witness to a fiery discussion of arguments and insults with my niece and her friends on one side and Raryldor on the other. I knew they didn't like him prior to this, of course. And I knew he didn't like some of them, too. Still, it was a bit jarring to be there for this. Though now I know some reasons why.

Raryldor… I don't personally hate him. Honestly, I sometimes am confused by him. He often seems cold and dismissing of me in the way that I felt many of the Shesae do. Yet he's taken the time to give me some aid and warnings.

One thing I know I don't like about him is that he often lets his ego take charge. To disastrous results. And he is completely blind to that.

But perhaps what gets under my skin is the Shesae as a whole, which he is a prime representative of. I remember trying to see if I could join them. I wanted to learn more about my elven heritage, since when as a half-elf I only occasionally was able to see my father (the tribe didn't like him). But it was not to be. Thorn and Fadia both told me how many of the Shesae dislike my very existence. My body is that of an elf, but my soul isn't. I suppose some see that as an insult.

Lack of acceptance is something that seems to be a frequent obstacle of my life. Growing up, my tribe didn't accept me because I was half-elven. And then I was run out of town because I had sorcery. After making Norwick my home, I helped save it by becoming a werecat, which some people did not accept. And now that I've been split from Lorelai, I find myself lacking acceptance from the Shesae.

I know I should just let it go and be happy with the acceptance of those who call me friend and family. I am accepted, appreciated, and loved.

Still… it stings when you are shunned by a community you want to be a part of.

• Entry 56

I happened to mention my frustrations to Kathea today. I have sorcery, but not a lot and wish to train it more. But I also need to get better at being stealthy if I am to be a scout like I try to be. Our conversation also drifted on to a certain elf that Kathea does not get along with and I mentioned my own frustrations with him. And the Shesae.

I wonder if they have come to accept my existence. I remember some were quite upset.

So I think Kathea decided to try to cheer me up. She went and asked Keerla and Laerune to join Kathea and I. (Haven't written about her yet, right? She's a friend of Keerla's. She usually has a serious attitude, but Keerla seems to bring out a happier side. Keerla's good at doing that. Her innocence is contagious.) We had a good time exploring the Underdark of all places. Obviously, I survived. Though Kat kind of worried me for a bit there. She behaved differently than she usually is. She was going to explain to me what was wrong when I was helping her out of her armor after, but the other two interrupted and she never got to. I'll have to try to remember to ask her about it later.

Also, I still need to be careful about my ears. All three teased me! I'd complain about it more, but part of me does so miss being feline. And thus I let people give me ear scritches.

• Entry 55

I'm a grand-auntie! I can't believe it! Oh, I can't wait for Lorie to find out.

I overheard Jonni at the commons today mention about a daughter and so I just had to poke my nose into the conversation. Jonni and Elaine did get married, and have a daughter! How wonderful! This is some of the best news yet.

Keerla's doing well. She's very happy and looks to have made some good friends. And she's learning the common tongue at a brisk pace. I don't think I really have to worry about her, but I still want to keep an eye on her.

Oh, another bit of good news, I ran into Gnarl at the commons as well. He's doing pretty well as always. No sign of Romulus or Ael'Que though.

On a sad note, I really need to get better at sneaking. The orcs' wolves and worgs seemed to catch me quite easily. I feel like I let our group down with my failure. Sure, they probably weren't mad at me, but I can't help feeling like I'm incompetent.

Okay, enough being upset with myself. Focus on having a grand-niece!

• Entry 54

A few other new friends…

Tiffany is a half-orc newly arrived to the area. She said she's from the lands around Luskan. She's not what you expect when you see a half-orc. She's articulate and skilled in scouting. I like that about her, how she defies expectations. I showed her around some of the land around Peltarch... as much as I know at least. I'll have to show her around Norwick and the Rawlinswood sometime. I'm much more familiar there, since it's my home.

There was also an elf that I over heard talk about refering to her as a former slave. Keerla's her name. I know Rary tried to talk to her about being a free person, but I think he confused and scared her more than helped her. It sounds like she was born a slave. It'll take her time to adjust. When I was able to meet Keerla briefly, I left her in the hands of Kathea. She seemed to be quite able to ease the poor girl.

I hope to see more of Keerla, and help her. While it was very long ago (my former life even), I still remember the time that the Dark Enchantress forced me to be her pet. If I can help somebody leave behind a life of slavery, I will do so.

• Entry 53

Leandro is an interesting person. He is perhaps a bit touched in the head, but it would be wrong for me to think less of him if that's so. I've been crazy, too, after all. Leandro is quite an enthusiastic fellow when it comes to 'adventuring.' It's the most exciting thing in the world to him. But what really makes him seem crazy is that weapon and armor he uses. It's all rusted. It's rusted so much that the rust has it's own rust.

What's crazier is that he proves himself to be a fellow worth having by your side. Despite that rusted armor and blade, he is committed to the fight as much as anybody else. And he comes out on top. He's not a push over.

It's that kind of crazy that makes a good adventurer.

• Entry 52

Aha! I finally found my diary! I thought I lost it, but it was just mixed in with Lorie's belongings.

Wow, I never realized just how much time has passed by since I last wrote in this diary. A lot has happened, certainly too much to write about here. I’ll just give some of the personal highlights.

I grew a bit bored of things and decided to explore a bit. Narfell has been my home for my whole life, and there is a huge world out there. I wanted to see some of it. So I found myself joining a merchant caravan, helping to keep it safe as he went westward. And in Damara I joined another caravan. And another after… Just traveling all over. My wanderlust eventually sated and so I came back to Narfell.

Rith's gone back to Suzail for some family stuff. I know Lorie also went for a bit to help with that.

Jerrick is gone. He's not dead, just stuck on a mountain being the guardian of something important to the Balance of Nature. I don't know anything more than that. But I know it's affected Lorie and the twins. Especially Lorie. She loves him with all her heart, and it must pain her to be away from him.

She probably tried to climb that mountain. Mustn't have gotten far, as she's in Norwick still.

At least she has her daughters, my nieces. Oh my, how they have grown! Elaine took after Lorie (and me, I guess) in becoming a sorceress, while Leena took after Jerrick and has become a druid. I'm sure Lorie and Jerrick are proud. I know I am.

I haven't seen Elaine lately, she must be traveling. But I have seen Leena. And from the sounds of it, she's gotten quite involved with the Circle. Her current problem she is trying to solve is all those demons still in Jiyyd. I don't think I can really help with that, but I'll at least provide some morale support.

I ran into Fadia as well. I have definitely got to spend more time with her.

There been other familiar and not so familiar faces. It's good to be back in Narfell.

• Entry 51

I can't believe I forgot this at Thorn's office. I rushed off so fast to meet up with my father at his request (again) that I forgot my diary! I wonder if Thorn took a peek at it…

Honestly, if he had, I doubt he read anything he didn't already know. Not that it would have kept him from blushing.

My return to Norwick started off quietly. It was Fight Night, but one of the dwarves was running it so there wasn't archery but an axe-throwing contest. Boxing was a bit interesting, which Jin surprisingly won. And Moonie challenged to fight off any number of people by herself. She managed to win too. It was nice seeing Moonie, Rasuil, Eluriel, and a few others. I've yet to run into Thorn, Fadia, Rith, Kiana... I have heard rumors that Thorn has been away.

Crap, I forgot to leave a note that I was leaving for a bit. You don't think he's trying to track me down, do you?

Anyhow, the night started off nicely, then took a turn for the worst. It's fitting that I ended up helping to defend the gates from an attack by the bugbears. Dear Selûne, that was a bloody and nasty battle. Their priests and mages are disturbingly proficient with their magic. The archers shoot well too. Most challenging was just the sheer numbers of bugbears. We had to retreat to the double gates, and we almost lost our ground then even! We finally managed to push them them back from the double gates and then after a rest we had one group go around town so we could catch them in a pincher attack. It worked well, though it cost Ardent her life (she came back, but it was a rough night for her, she died in the main attack too).

I nearrly died twice in that fight too. I can alrready imagine Vilmarr yelling at me. Heh.

So, back in Norwick, back to scouting, back to -

• Entry 50

My father sent a letter to me, asking for me to visit. It didn't sound alarming, I figured he'd ask for Lorie also if it was a life or death matter. I still made the trip as swift as I could. I ended up having a nice time with my father. He was just worried about me. He wanted to make sure that I was adapting well to my new elven body. Once I assured him that I have been healthy and well, I could see him visibly relax. I suspect that somebody must have made a comment to him that brought on this concern.

My return to Norwick was met with pleasantries as well. I unfortunately missed Fight Night; Gnarl told me he had won the Team Fight competition with Diadne and a woman named Charity. I met a new elf to the area, Jaidinn. He seems to be a polite and friendly sort. A few nights later, I was with Jaidinn as well as Ama'bael and Therean. Ama made the suggestion that we share stories of how we came to Norwick over some wine. Jin even joined us halfway through. It was a wonderful night learning interesting tidbits of each other.

I did notice Jaidinn seemed to give me an occasional curious, usually after I spoke. It must be my “accent”. Even though I no longer am a Fuzzy, that quirk of speech is still a part of me. I hope I never lose it.

• Entry 39

Maybe Thorn's right that we all need to worry. Something is certainly afoot. Romulus told me of troubles he ran into in the crypt. Fendon… the traitor herald. But why would Fendon save Romulus and give him a warning to "beware the darkness."

I kinda got that last question answered. After we helped a man find his family's old home in the ruins of Old Norwick (his grandfather was Wald, the old man who used to hire people to fetch flour from his warehouse), I was with Thorn and something very disturbing happened. We were cloaked in darkness. Sinister darkness. Like it was alive or something. It even killed me! It also seemed like something was trying to get into Thorn's head.

This wereboar (I think?) brought me back to life. Cogg was his name. That was an odd experience. It was like he yanked me right out of the Fugue. Very disorienting. Here's the important part though... Cogg also warned us to "beware darkness." And doors.

I'm worried for Thorn now though.

• Entry 38

Thorn is worried. He says that his visions are coming true. He's been trying to warn people about the Chaos Spirits. I think I'm the only one that's truly listened though. I can tell he's frustrated. Granted, there haven't been any reports showing activity from these spirits in a while. I guess with most people, if it's out of sight then it is out of mind. But they are in Thorn's sight.

He's also trying to in touch with that Fey who helped Rith with her nightmares. Nightshade, that was his name, right? No, he used the elven translation of that. I hope Thorn knows what he's doing by contacting the Fey. I know the Fey did keep his end of the bargain with Rith. My trust for fey was dealt with a severe blow since the manipulations of the one who created the nightmares that trapped me. Maybe Thorn should have Jerrick give him advice? He does seem to have quite a connection to them.

And goblins seem to be getting organized and active. Damn pests. I truly wish we could cleanse the Rawlinswood of the vermin.

Note to self: Don't forget to look into enchanting. Specifically, protective charms.