ROLL CALL: Want to improve Narfell? Here's how! (The Nii)

• Welcome to the Narfell Improvement Initiative! Otherwise known as the Nii.

Making this a poll would be too complicated for what I'm going for, so bear with me. I'm collecting information due to an informal poll I took from searching the forums, and talking to people directly.

With EE making interest in NWN happen organically, it's up to us to do better, and take advantage of that. That means a few things. Things like making the 'joining process' as smooth and interesting as possible. Having an easy to use/find set of resources for new people. Being able to improve our server in general, with features, fixes, and other fun stuff.

**EDIT: Specific needs currently!

• STEAM: Somebody with experience in the STEAM Community area.
      Submitting downloads, etc.

-More Narfell Developers with past NWN Dev experience

• Graphic Designer with skills to make the new (upcoming) forum experience modern and awesome.**

We've done a thing like this before, but this time we're going to try actively assigning projects to people who are dedicated in making the server a better place for everyone.

IF you're one of these people with the drive to do it, there are several options. Right now, the best option I can think of is below.

Fill out the following form, as a reply to this topic. Someone will reach out after that, and see about adding you to things like a Trello board, Discord chats, or member-only forums, where we can collaborate and actually put real work into this, like Dora already does with his build updates.

Let's help out, and see what we can make of our favorite server! Form below!

Name: (Forum or account name, whatever)

Skills: (Everything NWN related, from map/item making, to straight up development of resources, integration of features, forum moderation, etc.)

Availability: (How often are you free, or how many hours per week are you willing to work on your particular project)

Past: (What things have you worked on in the past, either on this server, another, or another game?)

Bonus: What features/aspects from another NWN server do you wish Narfell had?

• (it's a stealth feature request post! ok not that stealth)

Name: deer
    Skills: fairly extensive experience with scripting, dialogue construction, and .erf/.hak/.mod editing (not a toolset guy though)
    Availability: I dunno, whenever within reason
    Past: breaking things since 2008
    Bonus: The Vanity Plates interface is kinda painful. I'd like to add a front-end, unless there's some particular reason not to have one.
    (Also lighter darts would be nice...)

• Okay party people! A new day is upon us!

We're breaking out the spellbook, and casting REINCARNATION on the WIKI!

What does this mean to you? Well, for my PG team, it means a handy repository of all information Narfell related, to be able to point everyone else to, without the current requirement of digging through current and archived forums!

For everyone else, it means 2-3 clicks to find answers, rather than having to ask a PG, and a place to share tips/info that we see requests for often!

The catch: I need volunteers! Are you a master of your class? A crafter? A lorehound?
    Even someone great at scouring forums and pages may not know what you know, and I want to turn the WIKI into a super useful piece of our Narfell arsenal, to attract, and KEEP new and old players alike!

Ping me on Discord, or reply here if you're willing to put in a couple hours. Remember, the more effort we put into stuff like this, the more time we free up for our DMs and DEVs to do other things!

Thanks in advance!

• @0a587423cd:

Name: seisan / Dermin

Skills: Full time reader and student.

Availability: More like 2-4 hours per day (maybe more depending on the flow of my day).

Past: Old player, current a PG.

Perhaps more dieties from Kara-tur (like the Eight Million Gods, or other divine avatars, etc.) and more languages other than only Shou or High Shou from that region.

• Name: metagod

Skills: Forum moderation, editing, writing, small amount of coding knowledge (very small, mainly code debugging and creating logic flow for code), good knowledge of the toolset.

Availability: Currently unemployed awaiting a major brain surgery, available 24/7 for the foreseeable future

Past: Helped beta test the Nesme server, Former DM on Alrysi (iirc)(Shadowstriders server), DM on NWN2 Abyssia (iirc) server run by Zweianderlord

Bonus: Mainly the PrC

• @6fee2646d7:

Name: Atel

Skills: IT professional as a career. I do both hardware and software support. While I don't know the ins and outs of running Forums I'm sure its something I'd be able to learn in quick order, and willing to help support on that front.

I'm also attempting to teach myself how to code so I can help with scripting issues.

Availability: Basically whenever, except for Sunday and some Monday evenings.

Past: Long time player in Narfell from 2004ish, have been on many different sides of many different issues on the server and am still here playing.

Honestly at this point I'd like to see the demon campaign wrapped up so Jiyyd can begin to be restored, or at least filled with vastly lower level monsters. But that's already a WIP.

• BUMP.

I'm back from vacation, so I'm going to be poking people about improvement projects again!

What can YOU do to help?

• @d727d68d08=Zangeen:

Name: Zangeen

Skills: Basic knowledge of Aurora toolset for map, item, and monster creation. Forum moderator. Grammar Nazi.

Availability: Not as much as I’d like, but I’ll squeeze in time as needed.

Past: Current Player Guide. Helped recreate HDL and Norwick Militia guild items to meet enchanting rules, and a few other custom loot items.

Jerrick, correct me if I’m wrong here. Also on Amia, you were given 2 customizable spells that, upon dev/DM team approval, they would code to act as PnP spells. These showed on the spell list during level up to be selected instead of spells from the standard NWN list. I may have to dig in their forums to verify this, but it’d be neat to have the option of using PnP spells that your character would want regularly without having to get DM approval for each use (coughTeleportcough).

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the case. There's a suggestion in the wishlist about the teleport idea. If such a thing is possible, other such coding might too … but we need MOAR DEVS to even consider a vote on this kind of stuff, cause we can't just dump more stuff on Dora.

• Name: Zangeen

Skills: Basic knowledge of Aurora toolset for map, item, and monster creation. Forum moderator. Grammar Nazi.

Availability: Not as much as I’d like, but I’ll squeeze in time as needed.

Past: Current Player Guide. Helped recreate HDL and Norwick Militia guild items to meet enchanting rules, and a few other custom loot items.

Jerrick, correct me if I’m wrong here. Also on Amia, you were given 2 customizable spells that, upon dev/DM team approval, they would code to act as PnP spells. These showed on the spell list during level up to be selected instead of spells from the standard NWN list. I may have to dig in their forums to verify this, but it’d be neat to have the option of using PnP spells that your character would want regularly without having to get DM approval for each use (coughTeleportcough).

• @318a2a7408=JerrickRafe:

Update posted.

Specific need: Somebody with experience in the STEAM Community area.

I have been playing around with the Steam Groups thingy… and a few other community feature... just try to to see what's useful and what's not... I'll let you know more as I play around. I have a private test group running now. If you would like to check it out send me a friend request on Steam @ RedneckDMNC and I'll send an invite.

@318a2a7408=Rangy:

some of you are probably running around with my event loot.

I think Faelar has a few Wolferific items of your making.

• Edited My Skills and availability

Name: RW, Arrdubs, Rangy Wulf, Chick with the pink hair works too…

Skills: DM, Facebook Groups administration, Forum Administration. My coding skills are a bit rusty, but I can help facilitate moving the forums to a better and more updated platform. I'm an ideas person.

Availability: Being disabled and working for yourself gives you a lot of free time. lol

Past: DM, Narfell Forum administrator. Hosted the Narfell server for awhile and handled all back end server issues. Was a Narf Developer for a time as well. I created a few maps here and there, some NPC's and of course some of you are probably running around with my event loot.

Bonus: What features/aspects from another NWN server do you wish Narfell had? There are other servers besides Narfell? That's blasphemy...

• Update posted.

Specific need: Somebody with experience in the STEAM Community area.

• Name:Irishrover13/Aniril Thiend in game

Skills: Forum Moderation, education and storytelling, DMing and a long time ago a little level design but I have forgotten everything.

Availability:I can likely offer about 5+ hours a week depending on what you want me to do.

Past: I use to play a lot on Tales of Silver Marches and designed and lead several player based side missions. I have also designed different player forms and handled a lot of different requests on the forms as a moderator.

Bonus: I am stealing Marrows answer because I agree “Maybe CEP. Though used sparingly. Mostly just for placeables,outfits, heads and a better system for customizing outfits.” I also like more weapon options and additional monsters.

• (keep em coming folks, and everyone who's offered up help, expect us to reach out shortly!)

• Name: Karion_Silverbow (forums and Discord) RedneckDM (IG)

Skills: don't really have any but I can do script-less map and equipment design in the toolset

Availability: My time is all over the place due to owning and operating my own business but I can probably average 10 hours a week even though that may cut into my play time

Past: I was a moderator in the Wolves of Narfell forum for a while. I have created a website with Wordpress for my Entropia Universe account. I currently have several Facebook groups that I "own" and moderate.

There's other servers besides Narfell? The hells you say! Blasphemy!

Seriously though, what few servers I tried either required hak packs or were complete crap. Even though it was said that in EE any required hak packs would download automatically. I have found this to be false. If that were indeed the case I wouldn't mind seeing what they were about as I would love to have more cosmetic options for characters such as wide brim hats and… well i can't think of anything else.

One thing I would like is an override pack in the Steam Workshop that contains all of the overrides used in Narfell. That way we don't have to worry about dead links and having to manually move them to the new folder. The subscription deal works well as I have subscribed to a few overrides already. There are still some combat animation overrides and such that are still unavailable in the workshop. I'm not even sure it's possible but it would be nice none-the-less.

• Name: Marrow/Redrabbits

Skills: Map building/editing and making items/armours.

Availability: I have quite a bit of free time at the moment, so I can dedicate time.

Past: I've built a lot of personal areas for events that I've run for friends as well as just while i'm bored.

Bonus: Maybe CEP. Though used sparingly. Mostly just for placeables,outfits, heads and a better system for customizing outfits.

• Legion

Name: Felemnar on forums, Dwyne in discord

Skills: I am a programmer and learned NWN scripting and the DB interface when the game and mods were first released.

Availability: Limited.

Past: Professional programmer since 1989. CTO/CIO of several successful Internet-based startups. From 2004-2015 worked in video game industry, including credits on Madden 2005-2007, Psychonauts, Nacho Libre, Medal of Honor, Guitar Hero 3+ and Band Hero (several lead programmer roles).

Bonus: I think we could be creative in helping improve the world without adding a bunch of effort (training people/etc) to Dora's plate. I suspect it is more time and cost-effective to raise funds to support the site and server rather than adding personnel who require management.

• Dev

Name:
    Tpickles

Skills:
    Limitted toolset and scripting
    Computer science and programming background
    Web development

Availability:
    4 hours/week plus or minus some

Past:
    1. Remove all magical effects in the rest menu
    2. Reducing throwing axes item weights

I've tried a few other servers but never really liked them as much as Narfell. I do wish the new lobby was a bit more streamlined:
    1. Was more step by step instead of everyone in a circle
    2. The point of talking to each person was clearer
    3. Deities had short blurbs IG so you don't have to tab out of the game to track down information

• Name: Kwyn

Skills: Front end web stuff, i can help with new forums making them pretty, and writing new SEO, although thats easy baby stuff that doesnt take much thought. Also light graphic design and such

Availability: In the summers normalish amount of time to spend on things, I do take November 1st to april 1st off tho, so then i have nothing but time

Past: I manage a few forums for SAAS companies that i help run, and I have a few websites i keep going (for my current business and such) they arent amazing but they are good enough.

Bonus: No idea i played on arelith for like 12 minutes and it wanted me to pray and i was like whelp thats enough of that.

• Name: Jerrick

Skills: Forum Moderation, Project Management, Sales/promotion

Availability: Free time for spare projects every day

Past: Current moderator of Narfell Facebook page, current Head/Lead Player Guide

In Amia, they had area scripts which could fire to spawn monster encounters worth XP for surviving/completing, had a very basic loot table for, and would occasionally drop a miniboss/buffed mob. They seemed to be level specific. These would be great in some areas, barring exploit.