"Finding a Balance of sorts" - A journal of Leena

• _The days are passing too slowly for my liking, these past few. Don't get me wrong, the company is good, as I've spent it with the Druids who haven't headed home yet after the big battle, and they're an interesting lot.

It's always good to see things from another perspective, another angle, especially when those 'things' are your methods to accomplishing your job. The conversations have been mostly lighthearted, but of course there are stories from the past for all of us. Things that made us who we are, that made our Circles what they are. Not all of them are good, by any means, which is unsurprising. Adventurers who go to distant lands to fight demons aren't exactly a casual sort… they all have reasons that they'll go do something crazy like that. They're my kind of crazy, the kind that seen some shit, and grown from it, and I'm ok with that.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter of this situation, if for no other reason than how much I'd love to put it all behind me. Once it's a story that I can say I learned something from, then I'll be happy. Until then, I'm going to continue feeling like a caged animal when I have downtime, moments when I have to choose what I do next, instead of reacting.

If nothing else though, I do have one thing in particular to be thankful for.

My enemies, such few as they are (Surprising, but I haven't been attacked including assassination attempts, threatened, followed, or had my home surrounded by nasties in ... months, really.) have been absent. I came across a vampire by accident, but no more vicious shades at my house, no more appearing where I am, mwahaha'ing, and attacking my group, and no more horrific dreams of things watching me while I try to sleep.

So, even with all the problems with the world, and my heavy involvement in some of them, my enemies apparently have the courtesy to take turns these days. Is it because if the world ends, so do their plans of conquest? I'll have to ask them the next time I bump into them in the market, shopping for fruit.

'Hey ancient evil, haven't seen you in a while. How's the wife and kids?'

'Oh you know, dead by adventurers again. It's so hard to raise a family these days ... takes a lot of Black Onyx.'

'Oh, I understand. So, see you next moonrise in the crypts, I assume?'

'Oh no, little Diablette has violin lessons.'

'Ah, another time then! See you around!'

'Yes certainly, take care. I mean, die horribly you self-righteous treehugging scum!'

Man, this journal gets weird sometimes. I need to socialize more. Guess I'll take a trip up to Peltarch and see what's kicking. I heard howls from the Wolves Den earlier, so I assume they're busy with something worth celebrating, and I don't want to intrude._

• _It's been a couple of days.

A couple of days can make a tremendous difference in a lot of ways, to a lot of people. Mourning takes more than days, but celebrating usually wears off in that time. At the very least, hangovers usually only last a day or so too, so … at least there's that.

For me, however ... a couple of days is enough time to recover from the shock and exhaustion of our bitter victory, and begin looking forward to the next chapter. The last chapter?

I'm pretty fairly certain, though I need to confirm this with our tacticians ... that the Balord (That's what I'm calling him, since there's a pretty good chance that this guy is unlike any Balor we've seen so far, including the one that smoked Rary and Dermin and Aoth) might be the last pin holding this invasion together, and once he's out ... I might be able to push the last piece of OUR puzzle into place, and slam the gates closed on this whole planar collision.

I need to go talk to some people ... people who might have forgotten about this entire thing, or their place in it. I don't know how it's going to go, or if it will at all ... but I know that while I'm the bearer, this puzzle isn't complete. It isn't supposed to be me, and it won't work with me. I may have a part to play in all of this, but truly, it's going to be as a messenger, and a protector. A convincer, maybe. But I'm not the hero of this story. This story started before I was born ... and though Dad was a big, and very CLOSE part of it, thanks to Kara, I am but a footnote in it.

And that's ok.

If my Gods can keep thinking I'm doing alright, then I must be, right? As personally as I take some of the things that have happened in this fight for Narfell, and the rest of the Prime, against these demons ... at least I don't have a fiancee who was secretly an agent of devils. A 'deal' made in desperation, a 'sacrifice' made to save lives ... ending in chaos, tears, bloodshed, and betrayal. I have NO room to complain in comparison, but all the more reason to fight til I can't lift my sword again.

Speaking of swords, the time for me to wield this one is almost up. Jonni's loan of this sword has saved my bacon multiple times, and let me kill demons I wouldn't otherwise have been able to scratch, much to their surprise. But it's not mine. It needs to go home, back to the one who earned it. I'm glad I'm getting to put it to use, but will be gladder still to give it back.

Thanks Jonni. Don't worry, it's going to finish out this use by making Narfell that much safer for you and Elaine. It's the least I can do._

• _Rhigor.

Rhigor, the lich, the Scourge of the Coldstones … ally of demonkind, and plague to the Druids, has met his end. For now.

Thanks to Ros's scouting, we found out information that let us attack Rhigor from a less-defended point, and not only that, but know the point of weakness necessary to locate his phylactery, AND keep him from it for a time.

Victory!

Though... our victory came at a staggeringly high cost.

It started out innocently enough. Try not to make a big scryable fuss in Norwick (That was hard, and we didn't do a good job. People simply weren't very subtle.) , gather and distribute supplies (I spent about 10k giving stuff out, not counting spellcrystals), and go kick some lich ass. Simple right?

The last minute updates were the best part. The living creatures up there, from goblins to giants to what appeared to be a pet Chillblain, were our allies this time. Against the risen dead, we are all on the same side. This was for the best, really ... because even with the allies, and the huge distraction of an army of giants and Druids marching their way up to the fortress on their own ... we still had to fight dozens of undead frost giants.

Frost giants are hard enough to fight as it is!

Our task was hard, the climb was hard, keeping people focused, and working together, and being efficient was hard ... but the hardest part came next, and there wasn't a damned thing I could have done to stop it.

Apparently ... I'm strong enough in my spellwork that I can tell what things are being cast, for the most part ... even if they're out of my league. As we rushed in to take Rhigor down, my hair stood up, my senses screamed at me, and I smashed a spell crystal of lesser spell mantle on myself as quickly as I could, before my world EXPLODED completely.

My protections were wiped, an explosion of ... well, everything went off, I was deaf, blind, and lost for a moment in the chaos, and suddenly I was tripping over the fallen forms of my friends, trying to get clear ... only to find that there wasn't ONE Rhigor ... there were like, ten.

"Get clear, get focused, aim, fire, kill." Follow the script, dummy, you have a role to play, I thought at myself, and as I sighted in on a target, trying to find the real one to help Maria, I realized that I was nearly dead, myself.

Alright, heal, THEN kill. Right.

I healed myself, and the few others survivors around me before we got picked off my the copies of Rhigor, since I'm pretty sure the real one was much more concerned with Maria in that moment ... and a few moments later I got my shot.

Rhigor's attention was on Maria, and I gave him a greater dispel to think about, followed by a sunburst, right in his face. I don't know if either of those things did anything, because as I was casting, I was hit with several more dispels myself, and had to scramble not to bite it myself, as the other Rhigors sought to take me out.

That got me mad, and I charged the closest one, which surprised me by going down in just a couple of strikes.

By the time I was rushing the next ... it was over.

A spell took it out in front of me, and I pulled up short, finally getting a good look at the battlefield ... which made me hit my knees in a panic, and check people for signs of life. SO MANY PEOPLE ... all down. Dead. Whatever torment he unleashed on us, my wards held long enough to let me survive it, but the same can't be said for almost everyone else. I know it's selfish, but I'm glad Arty made it. I'm SHOCKED that I did.

It's been two whole days, now ... and I haven't slept.

I've hugged my Mom, went home with Arty ... and stared at the ceiling of my house. Read books. Sorted my things. Counted to roughly 729 before I got bored of that. Sharpened and cleaned my blades ...

I think I'm going to take a page out of Dad's book. I'm going to shift, and let my mind settle into the patterns on the animal whose shape I take, and take advantage of that long enough to sleep. A bear will do, I think. A big fat happy dire bear.

Until then, though ... there's things to do. While I'm awake like this, I'm going to make sure that I check in on Mom, and ask her if she had a PLAN for what she talked about, going to see Dad. I'm going to revisit the Wolf Den, and ask about their new potential recruit, and see if he's being considered. I'm going to dig through my share of what we got divvied up from that lich's lair, that I haven't yet been able to bring myself to look at. Like, looking at all those fallen. Is this what they call survivor's guilt?

I'm going to recover.
    I'm going to recover.
    I'm going to recover.

Time to take another walk._

• _Visits.

Mom's, (Lorelai's) 'other half' Tindra, showed up today, too. It makes me wonder … just how much of 'each other' is still connected between those two. It's weird, to the point where hugging each of them is almost the same as hugging the other. I wonder how many people actually know the truth of what's up between them.

I managed to spend some time with the Wolves today, and Sapeh showed up too, which was nice. She seems well, and is still JUST as eager and willing to fight for our circle, and our allies, as the day I met her. No wavering in her commitment, for sure. It's refreshing.

I know things move slowly sometimes, with the circle, with the Wolves, even. At least, they did before Faelar got his paws on things upon his return. He's got the makings of a leader, which I keep telling him, but he admitted to me that his fear, is failure.

"Those who do not try, cannot fail ... but they also cannot succeed." I told him. Sometimes I surprise even myself with the things I say. It sounded like one of those phrases you'd find on a napkin in a fancy inn with specially prepared meals. Something to spur polite mealtime conversation, and make everybody sound esoteric and wise.

I can't help but wonder if Ras is going to pass the mantle, or throw it at him, or decide he likes it after all. (I doubt that one, thoroughly.) Dad had to practically ... okay, maybe literally fight him to take it, before. Whatever happens, I'm going to be around to help, whether or not I actually try to join. I'll cheat my ass off, of course, because there's no rules in the woods. I'll don my leathers, lighten my packs, and clear my mind to make room for being quiet, and still ... like I don't exist in the space I occupy, and I'll pass the tests they set out for me. I hope. The best part is that it's not necessarily -about- just stealth, as the Wolves used to have a plate-wearing ranger, William Morrison. He was one of Dad's early mentors.

The story of the fight against the Malarite pack still rings in my mind ... of Dad walking out in the open, and challenging them in groups... their laughter as they had him grossly outnumbered, and the glee in which they charged him, all rage and bloodlust ... then the surprise in their screams as the shadows nearby turned into the Wolves, Dad's pack, as they fell in around the foes around Dad, while Dad fought, and bled, and screamed defiance and lightning in their faces.

Those were my bedtime stories. Those were my poems. People wonder why I'm occasionally a bloodthirsty monster, relentless and full of fury. It's because I CAN be ... without it being WHO I am.

I posed a question to the new elf prospect for the wolves, about who HE was. He mentioned his loyalty would be to the pack if he joined ... but only second to his kin.

That made my hair stand on end, and my skin prickle. I've seen that sentiment. Even on dangerous missions. Against true and told enemies. Somewhere, someone decides that since they share a race with the enemy, that they can't truly be an enemy.

They could NOT be more wrong if they tried. The Eldreth Veluuthra are the perfect example of this. Other races are inferior, and their lives, unimportant. How does that even remotely matter to someone? It baffles me, and makes me wary of elves in general, since not only my father, but I have experienced scorn at being a "Half breed." I'll withold my reservations about him, as I am NOT a Wolf, yet, but I raised my concern there just the once. Since we were already talking.

Now ... now I will set this journal down, and do some scouting. I need to see if the demons are stirring anywhere, so if we DO make any moves, we don't miss the signs of an ambush behind us, or the enemy having moved from where we thought they were.

Hopefully my next entry will read of victory._

• _Today was one of the more interesting days I've had. Which is weird, because I didn't slay any new vampires, didn't face off against any small armies of gnolls, and didn't find secret treasures, or long lost artifacts.

No, what I found instead, was that the ranger fellow I met before, is actually a Druid! I had been excited enough simply thinking he was a ranger, since the Wolves could use some new blood, and the LAND could use some new wolves. More Druids though?

Ever since we suffered such staggering losses at the hands of the demons, losing several of our elders, and having our sanctuary breached … I doubted whether or not we'd actually ever fully recover. It seems almost a waste to have the whole glen basically to myself and it's residents, with no actively meddling Druids about. I don't mind being the center of attention, but I miss what we once were. I miss the tales of what we were before my time, and before my Dad's time, even.

I want to bring the Druids back from the brink, back into power, back to a point where we can sustain the balance in this land simply by there being enough of us, so that when the next threat to the balance pops up, we're not scrambling for allies so that we're not walking into certain death just to check it out.

Speaking of simply walking in ... I let Faelar and Gel up to my house, to have them look over some gear ... and just as I was mentioning that things like that are how rumors get started, inviting boys up into your room like that, I turn around, and there's my MOM. There she was, snoozing away on the cushions, waking up to me running my mouth and embarassing myself.

The funny thing ... I haven't seen her in YEARS. Like me, like Dad, like our kind in general (Woodsfolk that is), she took off for a while to go questing for something. In this case, she spent time with Auntie Rith, and apparently, DAD.

We spent some time catching up, and getting everyone slightly up to speed on the big issues around the land, and shared tea and cakes while we went over gear together. It was ... nice. Domestic, and calm, and weirdly nice.

I'm glad Mom's back, and that she got to see Dad for a while. She seems a little sad, so I suspect there's more to their talks than she told me, so I just hope Dad's ok, and that she can see him again soon.

Speaking of soon ... the way people are talking, it's almost time to take the fight to our enemies, and end this demon menace for good. I need to find Aoth, sooner rather than later, and get the surviving Elders together with what allies we've earned on our trips, and get everyone prepared.

I can't wait for this to be over, one way or another. Having it loom over me is exhausting._

• _Looking back at my last writing in this journal, I realize once again, that i tend to write more when things are bleak. That sucks, but it is what it is. As I sit here in Norwick, after having an inpromptu meetup with a new Druid, Lomir, and a ranger named Gel, for once I see hope. Hope in new blood, and honest questions. Hope in pensive expressions, and helpful offers. Hope in shared beliefs, and, and similar mindsets.

Which is why I hope that what's about to happen has a chance of success.

It's been strange, knowing that we're on the edge of a world-ending event. Like, I wonder if neighboring lands have been watching us, to see if us being at the center of this ongoing planar collision is going to save them, or be the undoing of us all.

I wonder who else even THINKS about this stuff?

I've spent years preparing for this fight, and yet it seems unreal. From being a main target, to being avoided as one, and then explaining what's going on to people who had NO idea that our land is a couple mistakes away from being meged with the Abyss … honestly there are days where I feel crazy. Like pointing at a rainbow colored rabbit in the middle of a crowd of people that only I can see.

Sure I'm a Druid so they'll listen, and nod. Surely she knows what she's talking about, since it's a rabbit ... but we just don't see it.

I forsee myself becoming one of those crazy old women in a shack on a hill ... or a tree in my case, warning of dire portents that never come to pass, and cackling to myself when they DO, but so long after my mention that nobody remembers.

I warn people of the fey. They haven't shown their face since the lady with the singing got an earful from me, and we parted with our uneasy truce.

I warn people of the demons, but I've already rambled about that.

I warned people about the Razenks, and now they're powerful, and will be hard to kill when someone falls prey to their ambitions, and they're "Suddenly a problem."

Perhaps it's time I started looking out for me, again. I've gotten beat up pretty badly a couple times lately, and while this armor Z made me is amazing, it's limiting me in my other abilities, like being able to sneak, and the vulnerability to cold is ridiculous.

Even though I'm not sure there's an easy end in sight ... perhaps I'll start on that project once our plane is safe from becoming the Abyss. Perhaps.

For now, I need to gather up some of my old collected gear, and see if anything would be a good fit for Lomir or Gel, as I can't test or teach them anything if they die on their first few missions. Perhaps I'll send them on a fetch-quest or two for me, make em earn it. People get SO Squirelly about gifts!

SPEAKING about gifts! I should update this so I remember later .... I encountered A's pet necromancer, "Seven Twenty" when I went deep into the Goblin Hold, following some adventurers that left a standard trail of bodies, but NO signs of magic use ... so I figured I was going in on corpse retrieval duty.

Long story short, we found Seven Twenty in the lower levels before a coffin, flanked by undead umberhulks which were quickly dealt with, as she was about to kill a defector who left A's entourage with Quentin Reylerstroop, my old enemy.

She almost got some distance on us, but I dispelled her off the cavern roof, and got to cross swords with her for a moment, before I watched the timing of her attacks, and risked a spell right in her face.

I think I was nearly as surprised as she was when the spell worked, but her surprise was much more short lived. Sunlight burst into the cavern in a blaze of glorious golden power, and she was reduced to ash before me, and all over my boots, of course.

Letting Seven Twenty go was worth it, of course, for the information ... but I still hate that she's out here lackeying around for her vampire lord, and being difficult to take off the board. I need to do some testing to see if True Sight can see through Greater Sanctuary well enough to stop her next time I see her, since the jerk is as big a cheater as me in a fight.

Next time, woman. Til then, thanks for the tips. You're useful for a foe, and I can respect that. I'll still stab you, but I'll respect you while I do it. When it all comes down to it, you serve that which I need to destroy.

I suppose I've rambled on long enough for now. Hopefully some plans fall into place shortly, and I'll have more good stuff to write about._

• _As predicted, I encountered the fey again.

This time, I was appropriately armed with something that would ruin her day, but words sufficed. There's an uneasy truce of sorts. Nobody bothers her in her little crossroads, or "Trod" as they're called … and nobody comes after her, and "The humans are protected."

Now, she left loopholes there, and her singing is attracting people to her little lair, but it's as good as I'm going to get for the moment, and nobody else has gone missing or shown up befuddled again, yet.

That I know of.

Other than that ... things have been ... bad.

I'll make it short and bitter, because sweet isn't an option.

Raryldor's last words when he last departed Peltarch were, "It's only a Balor." Now, mind you, that word makes most adventurer's blood run cold. He marched off, and Dermin followed. How did they KNOW there was a Balor about? Well, Hen apparently saw one when skulking about Jiyyd. It saw HER too, so she skedaddled, but made mention of it in the commons.

I imagine Rary wanted another demon head for his collection ... they of course, invited the rest of us to help or watch, but I figured it would be too risky, and can't afford to lose my life, or the strength I've accumulated so far. Being able to shapeshift into an elemental is incredibly useful for pulling one's ass out of the proverbial fire.

It wasn't long before Jonni, in the commons with us, had a vision from Savras. Raryldor, had fallen.

I don't think I've ever been around for any time that he's done so, and the news clearly came as a shock. Surely he'll come back, right? Answer the call, have his God pick him back up to the fight?

He did ... and then Jonni took off running. It turns out that the vision continued, and Raryldor, brought back by Anna, was planning on going RIGHT back out there to the thing that had just killed him, while weakened, while it was ready for him.

We showed up, those of us that were there, and followed, not wishing him to throw his life away again.

Gods how I wish I had just taken Aoth and left.

Instead, I went. Instead, she went too.

Raryldor. Dermin. Aoth. All dead.

They all answered the call, but we're all weakened for this experience.

Surely things will calm down for a bit, right? Hah, not a chance.

Instead, it turns out that Alvaniel attacked Hen for running her mouth about these mining trips she's planning, where her and Jonni are claiming the ore themselves, which is their perogative, they just can't expect many volunteers from the rest of the crafting community I'd imagine ... anyway, She attacked Hen, and some guards jumped in, and they died.

Her trial was brief, her sentence hard. After a pretty staggering amount of gold levied against her for the city, the family, and just plain fines .. they took her head with her own sword. Remorse.

So now, another of us, weakened. Another frontliner against the threat of demons, diminished. And for what? A squabble?

I don't know how to stop any of this, so I keep at my own routine. I scout the land, I fight the enemies, I hoard gold and potions so that I can give them out as needed, and hope and pray that we can make forward progress soon. We know of three more Druidic circles nearby who we can petition for aid in our threat. Hopefully it's enough. And we STILL need to move on the threat in the mountains. Why it's come to a standstill again, I do not know.

Waiting is almost the worst part. The worst part, is seeing what happens in the now, while you're looking too far ahead._

• _I always put down that I'll write again soon.

I always mean to, too. Then I get to reading my past entries, or get distracted by someone showing up, and then it's "now", and I have no time to remember the past. But it's important, the past. if I write down these occasionally meaningless seeming things, they might come back to help me.

Or haunt me.

It seems to depend. Right now, I'm sitting here in shock. Eventually, I might write back on what's happened since Korvan, but aside from Aoth getting the power to take the shape of a wind elemental, nothing world-shaking has happened that I can think of.

Not with the fey on my mind.

Everyone knows about faerie stories. We've all heard them. And bad children? Well, they get taken away by the faeries, and or replaced! Stories … right? Gods above, I wish. You see, dear reader (whether this is me, a friend, or someone found this on my corpse ), my sister and I grew up on faerie stories ... but ours, were not the good kind. Or the nice kind. They were the -true- kind. And faeries?

They're not very nice.

I was reading through Dad's journal after the incident, just recently, where we ran into some fey ... those fey had captured Zoma, who had run ahead. We tried to talk nice, but they wanted to know about the roots to the side of us, and why we were going to them (We were not, actually, we were trying to find a wandering tower, but anyway), and they also seemed to know who they belonged to. They were clearly from Silvia's tree ... and they were not fans of her.

I couldn't imagine they would be ... the 'courts' in Avalon, land of the fey, are a big deal. You're either part of one, the other, or ... well, basically an outcast. Worse than that, even.

To go out and start your own 'court'? Not only is it generally laughable, but for some reason, it's also dangerously bad manners, apparently. They seemed more than ready to harm us for even speaking her name ... so I babbled at the group and made sure that they did no such thing, and then, when they thought they held private counsel in Sylvan, I tipped my hand.

They asked how I knew the language, and I was honest. I told them my father taught it to me, and then who he is ... and -that- diverted the conversation well enough!

Just the mention of my father got them both wary and on edge, and as we parted ways shortly after, they gave us a warning. " You would do well to choose your allies carefully. I am sure there are stories and secrets you are unaware of."

She's speaking of Silvia, but I don't know what about specifically. It seems our dinner date with her is long, long overdue ... and in reading Dad's journal, a page I didn't know existed fell out of the cover.

Call it fate is you wish, but it's a list of 'dances' of the fey, which appear to be rules regarding duels. And oaths. There's some other notes too, one about an armor he loaned to a Kaetlyn, another about a half-dragon named Hyperion who wants his head, and one about visions of the Hungry one ... he even knows the name of that White Dragon, Ky.

His FULL name, or close to it, it appears.

Now I have more questions, but surprise answers too ... and a need to see Gnarl and Alvaniel. I need some Cold Iron weaponry, and a way to drop enough gear weight to carry it.

I think I'm going to see the fey again very soon. Thanks for the help, Dad._

• _Gods above, I've missed so much to write about.

You know how it is, future reader. Or me. I know how it is, certainly. You have an epic adventure. You nearly lose your life. Something tragic or wonderful happens! You write down a brief note to remember, then go to properly write about it and it's … three adventures later. Four? A dozen?

Lately, my sword has been my only quill. Blood, the ink. Dramatic, right? Ugh, I can't even stand my OWN writing right now.

I suppose I'm going to have to gloss over some world-changing events, to try to get back up to the future. Present. Well, now, as this ink, still dries upon it's page.

Last I wrote, Ras was in trouble. Rasuil, my father's right hand man. A mysterious old wolf, cunning and cruel to his enemies, cunning and kind to his friends. Rasuil, basically my uncle, and friend, who trusts me and protects me both.

An old, old, enemy returned. One who was behind the death of his mate. Sending her back to him in pieces. One who trapped and kept her soul to fuel his own power. He captured Silvia the Fey, used her power to further his own, nailing her to her own tree with his vicious dagger.

Pieces of the rot from that tree were used to infect Rasuil, turn him into a mad beast. Had Dad not taught me surgery, the mundane healing arts, we may not have been able to save him short of killing him.

We fought shadows by the thousands, it seems. I even traveled the dreamscape into the hell he created there for Silvia to speak to her, to learn a secret, nearly getting all of us killed in the process, overwhelmed by shadows. That was something like a dozen dreamwalks for me by then. Big ones. One where I risked my own life, like I do ... but also the lives of others.

Moving forward from there, we had a lot of trouble in those months. Ras wasn't himself. Or rather, wasn't the Ras I know. A lot of other people were starting to believe or fear that current was, was the Real Ras. That made me angry, but as usual, I stayed my blade, and for once, my tongue. I explained where I could explain, begged where that did not work, and eventually, there was a plan.

The swords from Silvia were purified.

The bugbears aided us in the frontal attack.

We ended up encountering Daniel and Alina Sterncloude, and aiding them as well, as they aided us.

We stormed the tree.

We fought.

We nearly died.

Then there was Korvan. Larger than life. Terrifying. Bloodthirsty and malevolent.

Aoth and I ... we worked together a LOT, then. Traveling as a small pack, the pair of us. So much that we ended up with a rhythm. A rhythm that beat to the sound of pumping hearts, clashing blades, crashing thunder, and dripping blood.

Blood.

We called to it, reveled in it, sang to it, and it answered. We both believe that we contacted the avatar of Malar himself, and presented a petition, for power. We had to kill Dafna's -entire- force, save a few that didn't come at us, and then, Dafna herself. We turned the woods red and iron-smelling, so much that people in the town noticed the visible haze ...

He blessed us. I used my blessing on myself, Aoth, on Ras. We transformed into shadowy, terrifying creatures, but in our OWN power, not Korvan's, and literally tore him to shreds. His invulnerable cloak of mist made of souls, or whatever it was, couldn't stop us. We tore him apart, and Ras freed his mate, while Reyanna freed Silvia, and his reign of terror was ended.

It left a mark on all of us ... and changed me as well in another way. A chapter of my life has moved on.

When the elf camp was liberated, a spirit blessed my old sword, forever tinting it blood red, and making every true strike, bite with two more blades, as if a Bladedancer's spirit fought beside me.

Now, with Korvan defeated, my bow has changed too. The gift of Talos imbues it. Every shot sings out a cry to his power, and I strike as true as lightning now.

Change. I need to remember that change can be good. I'll write more soon, or maybe I won't ... but I need to remember that change isn't always bad, or we ... I ... won't get through this._

• _Reading my own writing serves dual purposes.

One, to make me able to remember my train of thought, and put my mind in the correct perspective to remember accurately the events of the past.

Two, to make me fuckin' depressed.

The last thing I wrote was about the possibility of having to take out Uncle Ras. Well, blow that for a lark. That ain't gonna happen. But … if it does ... it's going to have to be me. . . I won't let it happen any other way.

So, let's see ... next in my life, was a trip. I needed to get my mind right, so ... I went to a place where NOTHING was right! Makes sense ... right? The Nexus was a way to while away hours, days, whatever ... time seems wrong there, direction is wrong there, the path changes, you don't. It's infinitely distracting. Hells, I walked for MILES through hallways, doorways, rooms, and expanses of nothing but floor, until I decided to leave, and ask around for help.

Help was already there.

Since Aoth had showed me the place, and we had tried to make it through on our own, she apparently came back, and with Raryldor in tow. Together, we traipsed through the place. I can lead someone through the first half or so of it, then I'm terribly lost. I don't have much of a scholar's mind. Raryldor remembered the place, and together, we made it to our destination.

Avalon.

Aoth and I had been prepared, knowing about the chaos magic that flickered through the place like endless spiderwebs draped across your path, flickering across your face distractingly every so often. A small, specially prepared ball of iron, called a "Feyguard" would help if our own wills were not up to the task.

They were.

We wandered, sought out sleepers, and monuments, relics of history countless years old. I was tempted to de-stone a sleeper, if such a thing is possible, but what cruelty would that have been? "Yeah, I saved you and brought you back into a world where everything you knew has changed, everyone you knew is dead, and by the way, here's a facefull of demons, vampires, and politics!"

Yeah, nice.

Unmolested, we went back, and soon after, I discovered that spellweaver keep is back. Somehow. It's all far above my head, but the others were pretty excited about the whole thing. Hopefully it doesn't end up concerning me much, hah!

Soon after, I met Big Alley, had lunch with everyone, and managed to embarrass myself by falling asleep in a chair, waking myself up, and tipping back to hit the floor in doing so. Bam, flat on my back.

More demon dreams. Startled me awake.

I still feel hunted, and watch the sky on every walk I take. I'm waiting for them, and do not like how quiet things have been, as they bide their time, or wait for a sign, or do whatever the fark demons do when they're not actively trying to rend you limb from limb.

On that note, I'd best go have a wander and play bait s'more, try to find out what's going on. If there are no further entries in this journal, I'm either captured or a snack. Come get me, or avenge me, blah blah blah, sorry for the trouble._

• _This is going to be a long one. I've had time to rest, a cool drink in my hand, my gigantic sofa-sized wolf pal Fayt at my feet, and the breeze is whispering to me. The branches scrabbling against each other sound like quill pens scratching away, so … I am inspired to continue my writings.

One of the things on my mind lately, is the time while we were trying to help Rasuil against Korvan. His words keep bouncing around my head.

He said, "Tha more tha days go by, tha less e'erythin' makes sense. There's times.. a lotta time, really.. 'm jus' waitin' ta wake up, like 'm still dreamin' all this."

It made me think of many things. The Beeble event, the Night Parade in general, and other dreamwalks in general, and my thoughts were dark, and secret. I got out of my head as Isolde and others coaxed conversation out of the air like they do, as we discussed Rhona and her fiery justice, and jailhouse visits, before Rasuil is visited by a shade of Korvan himself, right there in the commons.

He tried to bend Rasuil to kill Szath, that day. Offered him up on a blighted tree like an appetizer at a fancy party. Ass. Rasuil didn't kill him, then, and we fought shadows. LOTS of shadows ... which helped hide Ras as he leaped into the woods with the snakey fellow, and were it not for the light spell I threw at him to force the shadows back, we wouldn't have seen him go.

Our first real encounter with Szath's storytelling where we had a major choice. Do we keep Ras off him, believe his stories, trust him, even though everything about him is straight out of the storybook tales of "Don't trust this archetype! He's LITERALLY snake-like!"

As it came out, I worried that I damaged my relationship with Ras, hurt his trust in me, because I agreed to take Szath in at the glen, with Doona. It came after a LOT of arguing, and frustration rising on all sides. Isolde's pissed at Ras's vengeance obsession, Ros is pissed at several people making things harder than they need to be, but remarkably calm and pragmatic about it, and I simply grabbed the situation by the nose like a naughty animal, and moved us all through the trees to the glen.

Elder Shapeshifter joined us, then, and we all talked about the situation while Isolde nearly squealed at Shapeshifter being a floofy ball of feathers. We discussed Szath joining our circle.

I won't even go over everything that was said here. Needless to say, my own circle was divided, and I myself was unsure. Shapeshifter refuses to vote, his stance as ever-uncertain as his shape. Lonetree is a hardass "good" person, despite being a Druid, and hates anything to do with Malar or the furies. Hargakku of course would be fine with it, happy in fact.

It's ridiculous, and sets the burden square across the shoulders of Aoth and I. Szath gave us information on Korvan, we grilled Szath for more, and argued amongst ourselves for hours. I admit my own temper frayed like an overused rope, and Wick arrived to chime in on the Druidic front too, which helped.

We learned that Szath helped Sylvia after their first 'assault' on her tree with Korvan, and that too, helped me side with the idea that he'd be more useful on our side than roaming free to get killed or up to trouble ... but again, it was not my choice alone, not was I completely convinced, even then.

Things shifted, when Ras said, "I appreciate tha wisdom o' -tha druids- present," he noted pointedly "... Leena, yer pa would be pround, 'm sure.. but I cin nay hear any more, else me restraint find it's edge an' force me ta break an oath I've jus' sworn."

Before Ras left, I snapped. "I FOUGHT him for you! My Family! So you can take the offer, or try your luck elsewhere!"

He accepted his "leafy prison cell" soon after that, and Ras left in anger, blistering the air of the glen with curses.

Ros commented soon after about needing "Twenty fecking drinks", and I secretly agreed with her, but the conversation continued. Speaking about how to get through to Ras, keep him safe from Korvan, keep Donna and Szath safe from Ras, all the while I thought about how to keep -everyone- safe from me as my temper wavered back and forth, heh.

Fadia showed up some time after ... and I admit I felt relief. Finally, the burden of the final decision could be shared, right?

I should have known better. She's not been involved, in much of anything lately, but especially not this situation. She gave general advice, and left us to it.

We ended the conversation with a worst-case scenario. What happens if we have to take Rasuil out? My answer was simple. Stonehold him, dispel him if that doesn't work, and shoot, beat, and lightning him until he was passed out, compliant, or dead, depending on how bad the situation is.

The others seemed to find that thorough enough, and we parted ways. I finally sought sleep with my head feeling so full as to be heavy, and my dreams were of darkness, and friends turned foes, and blight.

That continued for a while. Best put the quill down for now. I need to go eat something sweet and think of something else._

• _Catching up to do, as usual.

I've needed this break, but at the same time, it's easier just going forward without stopping sometimes.

Let's see, last I wrote, Rhona was needing to make an appearance on these pages.

After I found the wreckage and all that, I helped recover the corpses when I came across Rhona, who had turned herself into Shannon's custody. She feared she'd killed innocent people, and I went along to help exonerate her from her own guilt. Or help condemn her … since it's what she wanted?

Flying out over the water, and then swimming back with the corpses in tow wasn't hard, thanks to the magic of shapeshifting and a little bit of rope. Turns out, that the fellows Rhona crisped, were part of a mercenary band known for being pretty merciless and ruthless, so she was 'cleared' of wrongdoing given the circumstances.

Refreshing, right?

That was one of the last things I got my nose into before we all got dragged HARD into this fight against Korvan.

Korvan, who nearly got Rasuil for his own. Silvia, who WAS taken, and having her power drained and used by this megalomaniac necromancer trash. The three of them involving the rest of us in unexpected ways. Reyhanna Jorino, drawn in by Silvia as a champion. Me, drawn in by Talos, by Silvia, and most of all, by Rasuil.

Ras is family. I couldn't just watch, and hope, that things would work out.

We've faced hordes of shadows, and scarier decisions, since then. Silvia's tree produced 'shards of hate' that were used to influence Rasuil to a point where we couldn't trust him to make sane decisions, OR not to turn into a mindless slavering monster ...

Korvan showed up as an image multiple times, taunting, tormenting ...

The division we faced ... as a circle, as friends, as strategists, all of it, nearly split friendships and alliances like ripe fruit. I summoned Elders to yell at like a schoolmarm scolds children, while all I wanted was for someone else to have the answers. Aoth asked me point blank what I sought, and I didn't know immediately, but I wanted to gain approval, -and- to have HELP making those tough calls, so it wasn't all just on Aoth and I, representing the whole circle.

I suppose I can update more later. For now, this rest is well deserved._

• _Every once in a while, a routine monster hunt and looting run finds something else. Something new, something strange, or something straight up wonderful.

This time, it was Stegadons.

I was hunting alone, as I often do, despite the dozens of adventurers I tell not to. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely right! I know the risks, but I'm also aware that I'm prepared. Speed and invisibility potions, the ability to take flight, trasport myself via plants, it's all there so that I can get OUT if I get IN over my head.

This time, was close, anyway.

Along with Stegadons, I found some diamond powder, which was the purpose of my trip, but the Stegadons got me curious to continue. Normally in those lizard caves, the biggest threats for me are their polearm wielding guardians. This time, however, they had Wyrm Guards, elite fighters who hit like Alvaniel.

I fought one, and must have gotten lucky, because while it was challenging, I was in no real danger.

Then all hell broke loose.

I had to fight two right next to each other, with a third on the way, and other, lesser ones swarmed all around too. I let loose with my lightning, summons, and blade, had to stoneskin in a hurry, and used a powerful Heal spell on myself, and still barely prevailed. Holy, hells.

So I continued!

At this point, I figured they had to be guarding something good. The Stegadons were 'easy' , since they bend to my will without much fuss. Out of the six or seven I encountered, I only had to fight two of them properly, as they wouldn't calm, or get out of the way for me.

I was quite disappointed when I learned that there was nothing hidden there … but once I looked further down a level, I found it. I fought on, cautiously, before figuring out by tracking and listening that ahead of me there was at least one tremendous group, and something so big that you could feel it in the floor.

I went back.

After selling what I'd found so far, I gathered up a pair of adventurers, and off we went. Aranwe and Raryldor were present, so those two I took. Thankfully it was them, as Aranwe's bow proved useful, and Raryldor likes to fight dragons. He nearly got to again! The Stegadon ahead of us, next to a priestess and a horde of enemies, nearly bit him in half when he engaged it. It was so big it could "miss" and still end up biting you.

We fought our asses off, defeated them, got moderately rich for our efforts, and moved on to where I'd also heard noises, only to find more stegadons, and a pile of other lizards ... and WAY more gold.

I've never been this rich, by a long shot. It's kind of wonderful. I have nothing in particular to spend it on, but when I need to restock anything, even diamond powder, it's a simple matter now. Let's hope I keep it!

Let's see ... I still have to write down about Rhona's penance too!

That'll wait. For now._

• _I've picked this thing up, and put it down, a dozen times since I last wrote.

I haven't seen much of vampires since then, but we did see Quentin … I suppose I should write a couple recaps so that I can keep track of the various messes I'm waist-deep in, lately!

The most recent thing after the incident with the Bodak ... (not a child! ) , I guess was following rumors of Quentin being in the ogre woods, west of Peltarch. And sure enough, after a meeting with Parnell and some poor dominated dock elf, we found signs of his passage.

We were clued in after following an armed group, whose leader "The Captain", met with the king, and then headed off that way.

Long story short, after fighting Quentin, we came across the Captain and his two remaining officers, who had been trying to excavate a war machine from Peltarch's past, apparently one of three that the Senate had control over? Supposedly, there's a control orb, and Vloss Orbb (hah, orbs), may have it? Or some other bloodspider. I may need to speak with Lady Bravickus.

I rather impulsively finished the excavation, only to learn that there was no backup plan, save that scouts lured it out toward the ogre woods, and it's probably wreaking havoc out there ... hopefully without Quentin being able to get his paws on it. He laid them on Silouette already, and she died from a destruction spell. I shrugged one off, this time, but she was not so lucky. And I TOLD her what to watch out for, too!

There was no saving her, and High Priest Galin at the temple of the Triad even had trouble bringing her back. What a mess.

I HAVE to find a way to bring him down. I need a dimensional anchor, somehow. If he can't Sanctuary out ... we'll have him.

Fast forward a few days ... oh yeah, I saved another life. Or two.

A woman named Kiya, and Dralix, alone in the worg woods, also west of Peltarch, having heard fighting, and then a pair of screams while I was out foraging. I managed to get Kiya healed before she slipped past, but Dralix was well on his way to feeding the grass, and took more work.

Once the worst of the holes in him were patched up, I let magic do the rest of the work, and he took a breath, before immediately whining. He'll learn eventually, that mistakes aren't a reason to forsake your goals, or give up.

Til then, I suppose I'll be one of many trying to get him on the right track.

Let's see ... what since then ... oh yeah!
    "The Shipstealer" apparently took a ship right out of the water shortly after, and Aoth and Shannon took a bunch of folks via wind-walk toward it, after far too much deliberation in deciding whether or not to track it ... and we had an adventure on an island, bear island according to a map of where I think I was, that had a Druidic Magic font that was designed to help with summoning rituals!

Something had, of course, gone wrong apparently, and crystal guardians were beneath it, which we fought off and got some gold and riches from the supplies left behind. I nearly died, getting stuck between people as more arrived on top of me, but Aranwe died for real.

Rough day.

I think I'll close this up for now, and write some more later. Wanna make sure I get events correctly in place, since closer to 'now' ... details are more important._

• _"Bodak."

That was the only word required to bestow the feeling I got when I saw the tracks, upon the rest. I know they felt their spines chill, their hair raise, their grips tighten on their weapons.

I KNOW that track, the smell, the weight the footprint's impression leaves. It was SO close to my glen, too. It must have been what Aoth felt. And to think, I almost didn't notice it. We walked outside, expecting to find sign that something had been there, so I glanced over the grass and trees, and sure enough …

Goblin
    Badger
    Deer
    Goblin
    More Deer
    Bodak
    Badger again
    More goblins

.... wait, what?

We stalked forward, after I drank a death ward potion, and had my weapon blessed. No bodak gets to be in MY woods. The tracks were aimless at first, then in straight lines. FRESH straight lines.

I don't think it was expecting to be tracked, and now that it couldn't ambush us, it was repositioning for another strategy.

NOT THIS TIME.

I know those woods, and when the tracks led into a dead end, where the trees are too thich to get through quickly, and brambles beneath make movement nearly impossible, I knew we had it.

THERE!

It ran past me, not even bothering to hit me. It must have been going for the back row of us, the unprotected! I ran, sword swinging, and scored a glancing blow, and then the chase was on!

We chased for only a minute or two, a headlong rush through the woods. Confused animals scampered, and terrified goblins screamed and ran at the sight of a furious pair of armed Druids, and their companions, giving relentless chase to something. Something that made their blood go cold just by being near ... I think one of them fainted right out.

Left.

Right.

Left again? No, right!

Every time I lost the sound of the invisibility cloaked creature, a glance down told me where it went.

Sloppy.

Its plan had clearly fallen to pieces, and I wondered what kind of trap we were about to run into, but I didn't care. This was the enemy, this was one that I NEEDED to kill. They took the children.

Who knows what they were doing to them!?

It turned, finally, and fought for a moment. My first spell missed, it's invisibility half worn off, but still making it hard to hit. I needed to get CLOSE.

I leaped forward, the words for a HEAL spell on my lips, intending to blast this abonination with divine power, and destroy it's undead magicks from within. I was about to miss, I realized at that last moment, as it's blurred shape moved and writhed in front of me.

FZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Nate's dispel nailed it right in the chest, and it became visible just in time for me to land it.

A white FLASH

It was a simple matter of pivoting on my heel to drop down slightly, and then thrust my scimitar forward from my casting position ... and the blade slid in like it was greased.

The Bodak, visible now, took the sword through where it's heart would have been, had it posessed one, grasped the blade for a moment, and then slid bonelessly to the forest floor, sagging and seeming to deflate. A single fang jutted from it's mouth at an odd angle, so I plucked it loose as a trophy, and to help scry their source if possible ... and then the body moved.

Well, the 'skin' did. The surface of the Bodak shimmered and slid, and finally began to slide and slough off of what was underneath.

Oh Gods, there was something underneath.

I KNOW what they were doing to them.
    I KNOW what they did to them.
    I KNOW what they are going to do to them.

The body of the kidnapped boy, the one who was going to be 'leverage' against me, to get me to cooperate, lay before me. Pierced through, utterly dead. It was a perfect strike, a killing blow, and not even my skill with the healing arts was going to be enough.

I killed him.

I said we'd save them. We'd try, at least.

I looked for them, saw him, and backed off the scrying before I saw ... I COULD HAVE SEEN AND KNOWN.

Can you -save- someone who's been turned into a creature through being destroyed by the touch of pure evil? That's what a Bodak IS. Then, they can make MORE Bodaks. Clearly ...

I did what I was trained to do ... but at the same time, I didn't. A Bodak RAN? I should have known right away. I should have examined the situation. I should have seen the signs. I KILLED a child, when I KILLED a BODAK. That's not fucking FAIR!

I KNOW the child was already dead. Or as close to dead as matters. Past being alive, and in a miserable state that needed an end. Freedom. A way out.

I guess I'll keep telling myself this every night while I try to sleep. While I try to sleep, and try to look away from his face, the child's face, that's burned into my eyelids every time I close my eyes.

What have I done?_

• _Black and red, crackling energy, arcs across my mind, and vision, all at once, while I sit talking to my friends. A familiar object is in the background, and in front of it … a raven haired woman, shrouded in the same colors, opens her eyes.

The vision ends.

It felt like a warning, but ... of what? Is someone THERE, has someone found it? Is someone a threat to it? Has someone found ME?

ARGH.

I remember the phrase "Natural Union", which the others have helped me deduce, is the name of an actual group. A group who once searched for a group of relics that could allow them a greater wish spell, and were therefore pitted against other interests who worried that each -other- group would get these things, and destroy the others with said wish.

Holy crap my life is occasionally complicated.

The strangest part ... to me ... is that the woman in my vision, her clothing looked like something a Druid would wear.

I don't even know what to make of that.

Fadia seems to be my best best for information, and when I got together with her, and Nate, to think of a spell-ritual to get more information about this "Natural Union" group ... it rather looks like most of them are dead, in the fight to claim all of those artifacts.

Then, a memory that never happened took over our sight, and we saw Fadia wreathed in flame, and heard her screaming ... but the screaming wasn't from the vision, which I broke off of to tackle her out of the circle.

She's ok, but we're all, if nothing else, more confused than before.

A prophetic voice thundered, "Ye who seek these items, know, thine deepest Wish shall be fulfilled and thine foes destroyed. So to, seekest thine enemies, and ye shalt surely be destroyed first should ye be outpaced." in that vision, so while I understand the instruction ... it seems more like a trap. Drop something like this somewhere, and watch the factions murder one another to get there first.

I don't like this at all._

• _Demons.

It was the day after our meeting with Yulia and Synara. We discussed getting them out, without having to resort to 'means', to let them continue their vampire hunt. Frankly, I think they're the only not-the-usual-adventurers actually doing any-damned-thing, so I'm happy to get their freedom.

That, and there are Druids in their ranks.

I walked outside, and there was a darkness outside … that was not the evening darkness. Nor clouds. It was like ink on the sky, definitely a sign that something was moving.

Heroes Bluff was windy, cold, and snowing slightly, when I arrived to see the crew all there. Theaon, Ros, Raryldor, Alvaniel, Salin, Aoth, and Anna at the end were the crew, with a small host of Legion Soldiers, and Hin Valley troops, who were righteously fired up by Roslyn being a badass, and leading like you'd never guess she was capable of.

Leading enemies to traps? Yea. Leading someone on in a conversation that ends in a dick joke? Of course. Leading troops? Just, wow, Ros. Good on ya.

The attacks, they came in waves. I stood with the archers, Fayt at my side, and awaited them. They came on steadily, quietly ... until they saw ME and Aoth. A whole group freaked right the hell out, and branched off, and came right at us. Suddenly my plan of protecting the archers seemed a little shaky. I brought hell down right on top of them, but they held firm, and fought it back.

Wave, after wave, after wave. Demons poured across the gap, and Salin, who had my back, kept the archers safe with me. Raryldor, apparently born to do this shit, used Correlon's mighty boons to destroy several at a time, whereas I usually had to take em out one by one. Thankfully, the flyers aren't much of a match for me or Fayt, but numbers always catch up. Archers started to fall. We picked em up, sent em off between ways, and our numbers dwindled.

Aoth was down below, raging about as a mighty bear, and simply swatting demons like they were playtoys. She's come SO far since we met. I feel like, at this point, I'm only more powerful by dint of being born here, so I had a head start in the adventuring game. She's a force to be reckoned with! And the Druid who came, not an elder thankfully, as I sent word to the glen for the elders to stay the HELLS away, was amazing. A skilled young man fought beside all of us, and followed orders perfectly, and not only fought, but healed soldiers as he did the whole time.

Alvaniel held the ramp by the landing, where the demons who could NOT fly were ferrying themselves over on rafts. How amusing, to think of demons building rafts, with their claws and fangs and other miscellaneous appendages that were never meant for raftbuilding.

Amusing til they actually started making it across, anyway.

The rafts, at least, sucked. Between Salin and I, at least a quarter of them didn't even make it. Fire and lightning and ice struck their little boats, and tipped them into the water, or destroyed them outright. Flamestrike + raft = bad day.

By the third huge wave, we were flagging, and a lull passed over both sides, so we took that time to recoup, and check in. The Druids took turns resting up, everyone else made plans, shored up positions, rotated out soldiers, and I reminded folks that if the Druids fall, to TAKE or BURN or remove our bodies so that the demons can't get them. At all costs.

It was a grim reminder, but it had to be done.

We prepared ourselves again, and more boats came forth, so Salin and I got to sinking them ... but these boats carried something more.

Sure, there was a Glaebrezu, and a Nefalnshee, but those weren't what turned the tide against us. Throughout the battle, there had been a couple Vrock strewn about, which which quickly and summarily, erm, strewn about. Fayt and Aoth got to them, heh. This time, there was a whole pack of them, descending like hooked horrors, all at once, and they immediately spread out. Not a problem, right? One for everyone! Except that ... well, they summon. Specifically, they summon succubi. After summoning more succubi. There were more than a DOZEN. At once. Succubi, which have some strange ability to drain a person away to nothing.

Or more specifically, three people.

Theaon, Alvaniel, and Ros, all dropped.

And within moments of each other. I could SEE the succubus's spelleffects going everywhere. There had to have been close to a dozen of them, or perhaps that's the terror talking. Raryldor aside, those were the heavies!

I was hit by their little bolts of power, once, twice, a dozen times and more ... as I fought Vrock after Vrock. I ran about a bit, used my summon spell, tried to think of something clever, and all I could think of was getting to Aoth. NOW.

We fought back to back, Rary made his way over to us eventually, and one by one, we cleared the field. Sure we could have gone after the succubi first ... but that would have left a Vrock at our back, and I was having trouble keeping up with stripping the diseases from the living before they took hold, as it was.

The Vrocks perished, the stragglers were wiped out, and I was already on my knees over Theaon's still-warm body, applying magic and mundane methods of getting him going again. It's a magical effect, the drain. It leaves the body once you die. In between ... there's a golden moment. If you get there in time, the body's not too far gone, the soul not too far away, and you can bring them back.

Theaon. Alvaniel. I got them both up again, bewilderment etched across their faces. They apparently took several hits each, at once, from these succubus attacks, and everything just ... went black.

I looked over to where Anna was. She and Ros were talking, Ros made it back too. She wasn't happy, but she was alive. That's what mattered.

There was no gold. There was no treasure. Only a smidgeon of glory, and of course, knowing that we kept out that one tendril of blackness from the land there, that would have quickly taken hold, and washed over the entire bluff like a wave, had we not been the breaker.

Good enough, for now, I suppose._

• _I've been procrastinating.

I don't -want- to write about this. I don't want to go through it again. I don't want to watch myself do it over and over and over again … but I will. Maybe if I stick it between pages, it'll stay there a while, and leave me some room in the rest of my head and heart for everything else.

I'll get there eventually.

I met Lillia again. The last time was SO long ago, back when Lycka was adventuring with me and others pretty regularly.

We filled Lillia in on some stuff. She regretted making any others after "A", and Lillia complimented us.

"You have been made to make terrible choices, and they have not slowed you down. I have always, always admired courage. For it is the one quality my kind, at our heart, truly lack. Every vampire is a coward at their core."

I guess that makes sense, now that I stop to -really- think about it. Vampires weren't always vampires ... and most accepted this willingly, otherwise they'd take a sunbath. They feared death, or what comes after SO much, they instead took up eternal torment, and whatever damnation follows, as opposed to hastening their judgement.

We talked more, but Long story short, Lillia thinks that cavern is a good place for turning kids, and that Norwick isn't exactly a -real- goal of Quentin's. A is, and messing with ME is, since he thinks I have what he wants.

I mean ... I might, but I'll never tell HIM that. I'll take -that- to my grave if I get the chance.

I went to Norwick, then, and told the officials and the churchfolk what they needed to do, to make sure that they didn't last back out by sending the kids back as vampires, and to keep an eye out.

Since I'm so behind, here ... I already know what they did INSTEAD of that so far, but I'm not writing it down yet. Not yet. I'm just, not ready. I have to get over it sooner or later, but right now, I'll start crying in Peltarch, and there's people around. Not ok.

We chatted with Lillia a bit more, talked about the day I dueled Liderc, and much to his surprise, his actual stated out loud surprise, I held his ass off. Nate and Shesarai and Lycka were there, I think it was Lycka he was after at first, though once we were face to face, he leaned in close.

"Tell me where it is!"

I bought Lycka the time she needed. Once she was ready … her and the others misted his ass while I held his attention. I'm almost looking forward to seeing him again. It'll be nice to settle that unfinished score.

Back to Lillia (Man, I need to get my head clear. I can't even write a coherent story, here), she basically never said she'd help us, or do anything special other than walk around in the sunlight and pretend to be human, and chit chat a bit.

She doesn't think he's trying to revive A with the kid's blood, dripped off of Michaela's fangs ... we talked about Bodaks being able to make more Bodaks by their "Touch of pure evil." All in all, not much gained, unless the clever pair are able to glean more out of her words than I was.

I'm going to have a drink or three, sleep, and try again at this in the morning. This writing's a mess._

• _Things are hurtling at us now, quickly, and with no sign of stopping.

I've met with Lillia, who I haven't seen since I was a girl, just starting out this adventuring thing … and learned that it's likely that Quentin's going to turn those kids. That bastard. There's evil, and then there's ... well, that. He's apparently taking a HUGE gamble pissing off the courts as he is, so he's confident, desperate, or just plain crazy.

Probably all three.

I spent about a day and night in Norwick, setting preparations in place in case this happens. Hopefully they listen.

Leftovers from a fight with Quentin and like 78923469 wights, popped up. Someone, it turns out, had found them, risen them, and claims that she was going to try to walk them into the icelace. She didn't specify is that meant bringing them through Peltarch first ... but the group I was with ended up fighting them all. It pays to have a priest around, that was easy that time ...

Turns out, the person playing with casual necromancy that felt like the "Control dead" type, rather than the "Create undead" sort ... was Talbot's sister. Thanks to Aoth muttering in Druidic, I found out before I stepped on my own foot, and merely told her that I was present at the end of him ... rather than the one who chose to step forward and 'execute' justice.

I wasn't ABOUT to trust the 'system' in Peltarch to do it right, or for him not to have a backup plan for his escape. Nope. Too many people that I care about for him to take revenge on, he wasn't getting a chance. It was my blade that took his head, and on my conscience, his sentence.

Sure, we had made a rough group decision, but at the moment, as expected, people shied away from what needed to be done. So I did it, and I don't regret it. Not a bit. Though I regret the way some of my friends looked at me, after.

Dammit, I need a drink, and a hug, or something. I need to write something positive ... positivity helps, right?

I helped kill a black dragon recently, a treasure hunt gone badly for a group of adventurers a few tendays ago, resulted in US finding their goal, and it's guardian. Turns out ... I can get up there in the front against such a thing too, in the moments when Rary had to temporarily fall back.

Then, while rumors spread of MORE treasure about ... I took a trip with the hin, Sil. We went all the way to Mintas, and found a cache of gold!

We even managed a dreamwalk before all -this-, woke up Doona, and she's up and about and hasn't tried to kill anyone. Yet.

See? Good things are there too. I'm going to go pet a kitten or something now._

• _Woken up in a cold sweat again …

I'm not sure what the HELL my problem in, but I keep getting into things that are leaving scars on my mind. I'll start at the beginning of this little fiasco ...

Coming back from a treasure hunt/patrol ... our group came across none other than Seven Twenty herself, sitting at the fire. Well, standing. Expressionless. As usual.

... weirdo.

We came to find out just -why- she's so emotionless and detatched, and inhuman looking when she 'tries out' expressions. Cause that's what it looks like ... as if she's trying on someone else's face for a minute to see if it helps her blend in. Ew.

Apparently, she was abducted by mind-flayers as a child, then when those mind flayers were wiped out by a vampire's group, or a vamp themselves, the child was taken in by them. She appears to have "Partial Digestion" of her brainmatter, hence the lack of proper personality and ability to blend in.

Perfect for a vampire's pet.

Once most of the chitchat was through, she detected something that she'd apparently been expecting ... and Quentin, or Quintin, I can never quite tell ... Reylerstroop, attacked the town with wights.

I left my wolf near town to howl in case he saw another attack happen in there, and ours was diversionary ... and we were soon embattled by wights. Scores of them!

Aoth, myself, Isolde, and Nate, all fought like hell, and then got to fight Quentin himself! He used to scare the hell out of me. We've squared off a few times ... but now, I'm his match. His dispels were annoying, but I don't rely on spells alone these days, and he was constantly running, healing, and finally used Greater Sanctuary and disappeared.

Bastard.

Well, it turns out that he WAS a ruse, and BODAKS crept into town, stole 5 children, and brought them to some secret lair of Quentins (Possibly somehow underwater!?), and are being used in some ritual to awaken his Vampire lord.

I think. I'm still hazy on the details ... but I found the latter out with a Greater Scrying, watching them do it, before Quentin noticed me, and tried to coerce me into giving IT to him. I cut off the connection, and I don't think those kids are going to make it, since we have no way of getting to his lair that I know of.

And what the HELL would we do if we did?

The screaming, half-formed, dessicated, horrific face of his master still echoes in my head. I withstood it, but barely, and if it weren't for my force of will, that and Quentin's antics could have very seriously hurt me.

I need to be more careful.

Even saying that, though, even putting it on paper ... will I really?

Not while there's so much at stake, I think.

Not now._