"WHAT WOULD TIDUS DO?"

• @f4d985aa32=Emerwyn:

An agitated citizen of Peltarch chimes in

Ah, should have said that earlier!

I can already see them senators running an expensive campaign of lies and false promises so just when they are elected they can decide that a king should rule instead.

Yes, very logical!

It's not like they would want to hold onto their seats like the greedy bastards they are, all of them! It's not like they would stand around without caring about the people's problems while their pockets get fat out of the fourteen hour shifts of honest dock workers! No, the next senate is THE GOOD ONE! Not the last twenty. The next one will be different!

Out with the Senate! They had way too many chances, enough of laughing at the people and caring only about themselves. We want change! It's time to give a go to something else, even if it's a pile of shit with sunglasses, I prefer that to rule over another filthy senator!

The poor fellow nods in agreement, his face growing more and more uncertain looking as the debate carries on

• An agitated citizen of Peltarch chimes in

Ah, should have said that earlier!

I can already see them senators running an expensive campaign of lies and false promises so just when they are elected they can decide that a king should rule instead.

Yes, very logical!

It's not like they would want to hold onto their seats like the greedy bastards they are, all of them! It's not like they would stand around without caring about the people's problems while their pockets get fat out of the fourteen hour shifts of honest dock workers! No, the next senate is THE GOOD ONE! Not the last twenty. The next one will be different!

Out with the Senate! They had way too many chances, enough of laughing at the people and caring only about themselves. We want change! It's time to give a go to something else, even if it's a pile of shit with sunglasses, I prefer that to rule over another filthy senator!

• @3354f5cd03=Kayleb:

Umm … "not invent conspiracy where there's none"? You just said that there was one, that "cyricists" were behind the dismantling of our senate.

What were they hoping to achieve do you think? What was their goal? What has been the outcome of their toil and sacrifice? Cyricists have cultivated the spoil in which this seed of monarchy is growing. I'd rather that not be the case.

With this current "king or no" vote, we'd get a king who essentially will be making up his own rules on how to govern Peltarch. From what I understand most kingdoms have some kind of legal framework within which a king operates. This is why, even if we want a king, we should have a functioning senate first. And let that senate bring in a king. A senate, representing the people, who would create a legal framework for monarchy.

"Well, thats just downright logical."

• Legion

Umm … "not invent conspiracy where there's none"? You just said that there was one, that "cyricists" were behind the dismantling of our senate.

What were they hoping to achieve do you think? What was their goal? What has been the outcome of their toil and sacrifice? Cyricists have cultivated the spoil in which this seed of monarchy is growing. I'd rather that not be the case.

With this current "king or no" vote, we'd get a king who essentially will be making up his own rules on how to govern Peltarch. From what I understand most kingdoms have some kind of legal framework within which a king operates. This is why, even if we want a king, we should have a functioning senate first. And let that senate bring in a king. A senate, representing the people, who would create a legal framework for monarchy.

• Yana, who has remained silent and on guard through most of these discussions, slides up next to Lycka.

What would Tidus do? He would offer the people a choice, much like we have before us. Personally, I hold the opinion of my mother. Kings get things done. Senates argue about what gets done. If you want change and a prosperous city, put a monarch in place.

I don’t find the thought of a surrogate mother that unappealing. I’ve heard it’s occasionally done when a couple is childless. He’s not talking about taking another wife.

I suggest that along with a king, we have publicly elected advisors. One from each section of the city and one with a military background. These would be the voices of the people, and be reelected every few years. It would be the responsibility of these advisors to listen to the people in their section, and present their reports to the king. If the people felt their voices weren’t being heard, then they would be replaced.

One king, one man’s decision, influenced by the voices of the people.

• Lycka speaks directly to Martoushca, her expression one of serious concern:

"Marty, Neverith was stabbed dead right on the rant stand by the Cyricist traitor and at the time Guard General, Marcus Ash. Four of our Senators have gone missing - several of which have been suspiciously recluse for -years - and then 'executed' on the rant stand by the known Cyricist Anelesia Bravickius. There are no air quotes here, no guesswork - this is a -real- threat and has been for a long, long number of years.

I urge you to take that fact into consideration when you look at Del'Rosas actions and motivations, and not invent conspiracy where there's none. I feel you're ignoring the obvious and real threat, brushing it off for an imagined dark agenda by a good man. If Del'Rosa wanted a 'coupe', Martial Law would be an excellent time to bring about say, a military state with himself as supreme leader - I dare say he'd even have support for it, given the lack of love for the former Senate. Or simply force a king upon the people of Peltarch, whether we wanted one or not.

That'd be a coupe. This isn't one - there isn't a monarchy yet, your preference of a Senate is every bit as possible as my preference of trying out a king - and yes, I say trying. Governments of all types can work and they can also fail to be replaced by something new. I know you're an idealist, so why can't you have just a little faith in that some people do act with the best interest of all at heart? Even if all they get for it is accusation and ingratitude."

• Rith listens to the elf, waiting politely for her to speak every word before looking up at the sky, seemingly to check the sun's position on it

Thank you for sharing these words with me, Eilonna. Now if you excuse me, I must tend to some chores…

She then offers a polite smile as she walks towards the temple of the Lighthouse.

• I never once said it was a magical solution, I am giving solutions that may aid the resolution, so quit assuming, I have heard Georges argument but yet it seems that anything I say is already on the confirmation bias for you as well as you are so ready to say that your ideal is correct.

Secondly, that comment was pointed to the gentleman that spoke of a man dipping out on his partner, not towards George at all, though I still stand by my words that a married couple does not toss aside the vows made before their gods over these matters. There are other ways to go about it and I even spoke of at least one option.

On the third matter, yes I am a Norwickian Citizen. I would gladly welcome a meeting with any of the Magistrates and Lawyers that think this process wasn't underhanded and foolish in the middle of the people being scared of Cyricists trying to take over the city. Please do bring them forward and I assure you that I will be the first to tell them how foolish it was to be sneaky, underhanded, and secretive during a time where the people are already scared of sneaky and underhanded things being done. Even if its for the better of the people.

I don't doubt Del'Rosa is a good man, I commend him highly on his actions against the Gnolls, yet no person in the realms is without fault, not even me. Thus I question the wisdom in this decision as well as the thought of placing someone that old in charge of the City as a whole. There would be massive consequences should he die and you have some foreigner in charge of the city until their heir is of age which can take up to twenty years, thats a long time and leaves a lot of time for damage to be done.

I support the points Marty is trying to make, I don't support trying to win the favor of the people. I have never handed out any of these shirts, banners or anything else, I have only voiced my opinion and that does not make me one of the people handing out a shirt.

Asking as well if I believe I am talking to children or adults is hardly an insult, I am asking people to think with their heads rather then sling out insults every time they pass Marty which seems to be something they like to do.

While I am a member of Norwick, this does concern me as what happens up here will eventually effect Norwick, As someone that was born and raised in these lands, I have lived through and seen the effects it has between both lands when bad leadership is made. I am open minded and I do hear each side, yet you seem to believe that if things don't work out you can just elect out a king, it doesnt even work that way, nor can you normally vote in a king, that in itself is nonsense. King Tidus surrendered his title so therefore there is not even a royal family. George is another common person like me and you. King Tidus made sure of it when he died his title went with him.

• Rith rubs her forehead pondering for some time

Miss Eilonna, was it?

It is truly distressing to hear you, not because of what you say or how you say it… but because you are a victim of the confirmation bias that I was speaking of earlier. Not only you refuse to see the other side of the argument, you also see only benefits in what you believe, and create magical solutions to problems that haven't been solved for generations, just like that, at the snap of a finger.

Listen... I don't know where you were raised, but having anyone's reproductive system or any part of it removed is a quite rude and barbaric thing to do. I know you fare from Norwick, which is settlement with a fairly barbaric background, but I do not think even there it is accepted to do anything that atrocious. Besides, it does not really count as cheating either, if the woman is in consent of it. You must consider that perhaps both George and his wife have realised that Peltarch is greater than them, as it is greater than you and me, and have understood that sacrifices must be made. And they are willing to make such sacrifice, with terrible sorrow in their hearts.

On the next point... Eilonna, if I am not mistaken you have Norwickian citizenship, and while I do not know you at all other than what I have observed from your passive-aggressive speeches, I can tell you do not know the Peltarch law very well. You really do not know at all what is the function of Peltarch's General of the Defenders during a Martial Law, and whether what he is doing is in his job description or not. I would invite you to stop for just a moment and think that there are lawyers and magistrates in the city that are looking on what is happening with a very close eye, and would immediately act to prevent any illegal action or abuse of power infringed by the General.

Del'Rosa is a good man that those of us who have lived long in Peltarch have pretty much grown with. Even the notion that he would be doing anything in detriment of Peltarch or seeking a personal gain is preposterous. Before throwing out accusations as grave as saying that the General is nothing short of betraying Peltarch, you may find fitting to first seek out any of our magistrates, and have word with them about it as the authority in matters of law. If nothing else, at least you will be able to speak with a base knowledge on what you are talking about.

The Senate can be fixed. I truly think so, too. On that I want to agree, but you are preaching to make illegal the vote shopping, when I'm already seeing banners, shirts and dirt-flinging campaigns coming from the side you support. Do you realise how little water it holds to promote something you can't even maintain yourself in the moment you are promoting it? I do believe in a fair and just senate. It just... it hasn't worked for a hundred years or more. Over paper, it's easy to say "allow this, forbid that". In reality, it's practically impossible to achieve in full. It will always come down to the individuals, and the chance that at the time it's the good and committed individuals that will be elected.

Lastly, I personally do not condone any insults to anyone based on their opinions and beliefs. The harassment that this person is being subject to is disgusting and intolerable. I've as far as heard multitudes choring it in the past. Nobody deserves that. But then, you resort to insult to tell others to quit insulting. Do you see the problem there? You must always preach with the example, dear. If you create hostility, that's all you will receive in return.

Do not let your mind obfuscate. Expand it, and let it soak new ideals. After you've known the truth behind every point of view, you will be prepared to make a real choice. Your choice. Probably you can't even vote if you truly are Norwickian, and I'm not going to question your motivations for being so outspoken and vehement about something that concerns only Peltarch and its citizens. But as someone that has lived three quarters of her long life in this land, I'd really like if the debate was kept healthy, open minded and tolerant towards each person's ideals and points of view.

• Eilonna speaks up as she looks between them all

First off, any man that would consider cheating on his wife should have his balls removed, any woman that does is already marked as a whore and most people shun them anyways.

Secondly, while I understand your urge to defend the man Miss Lycka, I also have to point out and ask, what authority did the General have to suddenly decide that THIS moment was the best to go and rally the people for a seventy year old man which would put the city in further chaos? Did he speak the the Magistrates to ensure such an act would be legal? Did he even consider that this was beyond his position as a General? His job as General is to guard the city, place men and women, recruit and direct, not go and find people to govern the people. Thats not in his job description.

Third, the senate as Marty said can be fixed. Make it illegal to buy votes, anyone caught buying votes will be kicked from elections and barred, set specific times that the people seeking to be elected can debate in front of the people and for a specific period of time. Eliminate the use of any magic during these times period and have trusted casters nearby to detect the use of magic, casting and such also removing you from the elections. Make stricter rules about how this goes about, get rid of all this back stabbing that goes on during these runs and clean them up. Thats how your gonna get the voting process cleaned up.

Fourth, Quit calling Marty "Mad" Its stupid and really hurtful to a person, I would think that I was talking to adults and not five year old children. Seriously now people need to grow up and stop name calling.

• Legion

to Lycka Oh you're back.

Thankyou for sharing your knowledge with us.

Well, one doesn't simply "try" a monarchy. Once we have a monarch in place, we will be stuck with it.

Not so a senate. And there's the freedom. When Peltarch feels she made a bad decision electing certain candidates to the senate, then they can remove them next election.

Aye, the senate is broken. And for the reasons you pointed out. But there are a number of ways we can fix the senate. Remove all magic from election campaigns, criminalize dishonesty, ban public rallies and confine all electioneering and public debate to designated times and places without fanfare or gifts to voters. There are probably many other ways we can ensure that money and magic no longer sway our opinion on who should lead. Monarchy isn't a solution to the problems we have with the senate. That'd be like fixing a broken cart by buying a boat.

Not wanting to sound skeptical, but the erosion of confidence in the senate by "cyricits", the timing of the declaration of martial law - the only environment where you could legally make a move to instal a monarch, the discovery of the book and the blood line … the timing and the circumstances seem suspiciously convenient.

No matter how you look at it, even in the most positive light, this attempt to install a king is a coupe. A religious coupe that owes its success to the actions of "cyricist" and to secrecy. To casting unknown magic upon the entire population and on still hidden parties and agendas.

If we are to have a king, it shouldn't be by coupe. Let a properly elected senate agree on it, draft laws and oaths under which a monarchy will run, and let a senate hand over it's powers to a king on behalf of the people. This "do you want a king or not" vote dropped on us with such little warning and such little time to debate is hardly right.

So ... elect in a new senate, and if they agree on monarchy let them draft laws by which the monarch will reign. So the senate could effectively become a moot. Even the staunchest monarchist would have to agree that this would be better than the show we have going on at the moment.

• Morris Purcandel trickles out of a corner tapping the tickly end of a quill on his chin as he listens to the arguments made. He seems much better groomed than in days past.

"My exact thoughts, madam!"

He nods to Lycka and speaks in a single smooth breath

"As to this hodge-podge about trading with Norwick being impacted, I should think that King George might mean; and has perhaps explicitly said so but I cannot recall, that in fact we may be making use of the farm land that the past senate simply refused to address whatsoever - an issue that as I recall this 'Mad' Marty (a terribly rude moniker) was quite fond of and rightly so. Norwick is dandy and all, but we ought to be worried about Peltarch first, and besides if Norwick weren't producing any goods worth trading for then why should we trade with them? Fortunately, I doubt they'll all suddenly starve to death as we still need lumber and other such resources from Norwick."

Morris pauses and flutters his quill

"And another thing; I think it's a miracle he hasn't had an affair in all his long marriage as it is! The gods know it certainly is an unrealistic view to think a man or woman wouldn't be dabbling in other goods once in a while over how many decades of marriage. In any case, he's making a sacrifice of all he knows as his life for the betterment of the city. I didn't know there were so many puritans in the city!"

Morris then thrusts his quill upward

"However! I'm as suspicious as the next citizen of any ruler whether they be senators or royalty. It is the duty of citizens to keep an eye on the ruler as much as it is for the ruler to keep an eye on them. I hear such amusing questions as 'what happens if it all goes wrong?', it already did all go wrong and getting rid of the senate is whats sorting it!"

• Lycka taps her lip, lowering her voice slightly.

"It's always uncanny when you and I say the same thing, Marty, heh! We're in touching agreement on many things, but I really must speak up in defence of our General - it seems as though no one realizes or pays heed to the fact that the Cyricists have actually -succeeded- in overthrowing our government, after having been a thorn in the city's side for so very long, weaving traitor upon traitor into our midst.

Martial Law is all that stands between us and chaos, at this point in time. If in this light you still want to condemn Del'Rosa for acting 'slyly', then I'd urge you to rise above the fact that you were kept in the dark and remember that transparancy isn't always an option you can afford with enemies like these.

Secrets aren't always kept out of ill intent.

Frederic Del'Rosa is a good man, Neverith's right hand man. I've personally worked closely with these two fine men in a decades long investigation with many ties to the cult of Cyric. As you no doubt remember, Neverith himself was brutally cut down on the rant stand by the traitor Ash. And that same rant stand was more recently used when Analesia Bravickius revealed the same cult having made puppets of several Senators.

That's the real conspiracy here. That's the threat. Del'Rosa on the other hand has only presented us with what he believes to be a better choice in leadership, one less susceptible to these kinds of manipulations - but we're still the ones choosing. It isn't a 'coup' when the power still lies in the people's hands.

George says he wants to be king to serve the interests of the people - and I believe him. I actually believe he is the right candidate, and that our city's ready to try something new.

It's been a tough pill for me to swallow, because I so firmly believed in the principle of the Senate, even when year after year as I sat as an Advisor, I saw its flaws so excrutiatingly clearly. I saw good ideas silenced, drowning in bureucracy or cut down by protectionist bickering. And all, I mean ALL I ever heard when I walked out of the Senate chambers and into the Commons was discontent, questioning and complaint over how rotten, how incompetent, slow and corrupt the city leadership was.

If I thought there was a fix, Marty, I'd support it. But during the last election, I looked around and despaired at the so called 'choices' I had. I supported the one candidate I saw as good and suitable, but one Senator does not a Senate make. And therein lies the problem.

For every good Senator, there's a bad one, for every honest, a corrupt. There are a myriad ways for all the wrong influences to nestle in and steer us astray, and for stalemates to prevent -anything- from happening.

I'm ready to stop complaining about the old and try something new - really, isn't that what Tidus himself did? He changed the city. I feel as though we can honour his legacy and his spirit by changing it again, to free ourselves from what's rotten.

That's my opinion, anyway!"

• Eilonna nods in understanding as she speaks

I agree that the methods used were inappropriate and foolish in my opinion. I don't even pretend to know what General Del'Rosa was thinking and it makes me wonder more, who approved him doing such? Since when he did start such we were under Militia Law but that is only in so much as protecting the city not deciding suddenly that we need a new ruler. Fairly such thing is usually considered a form of treason, I should know….* coughs slightly *

In either case, I stop to consider a few things when I consider what George has said.

1. Reduced trades with Norwick. Norwick and Peltarch have seemingly had strained relations for a very long time, now he wants to suggest taking the coin from the farmers of Norwick entirely by reducing the trades with Norwick. That in the end is going to put more stress on an already tense friendship.

2. He seems a fairly decent gentleman, but as a wife and a mother, I cannot get past the ideal that he " even with her consent and it apparently being her idea" would even humor the idea of tossing her aside for some new eye candy from another land. What does this say for his integrity and his willingness to bend at the knee when it comes to important matters? If you will not honor your marriage vows you made before your own deity no matter what, then you won't honor a word that comes out of your mouth any other time.

3. His age is a problem, at his age he would not have the proper time to raise an heir, and any woman from outside Peltarch would raise that child to her standards, not to Peltarchs. That in itself would create an issue that the child would not meet nor understand Peltarches needs, not to mention if he dies when the child is maybe a year, do we wait another seventeen years for a child to take the throne with no guidance from the king?

4. The crown enchanting bit. This I don't approve of as its simply another gimmick to control who runs Peltarch. Taking the say away from the people even further. Magic cannot fully understand the heart and soul of the person. There are also was to avoid the effect of the spell and get around it. Not to mention if said heir was allergic to magic? Its not completely unheard of after all.

Its a lot to take in but I think at least those four things need to be highly considered before a "King" is implemented.

• As Rith listens to Lycka and Marty's words, she looks concerned, shaking her head softly. Eventually she decides to speak up to them, not raising her voice beyond what is necessary for them two to hear her

I believe the bottom of the matter is that what would Tidus do does not matter any more. We like to think that Peltarch is a bastion of freedom, and because of that it must stand free of any chains - and that includes the chains of the past.

Tidus did what he did in a moment in time where action was required. His actions marked the path that Peltarch would walk. But many years have passed, many generations have come and gone, and Peltarch is not a semi-barbarian settlement now. It is a raising star that has attracted all kinds of attention. It has grown, evolved; and these times may require action once again. A different action for a different time, and a different situation.

Tidus' formula worked for Tidus' time, with the problems of those days and under the circumstances of that time. Being conservist about it and playing guess games won't do for the people of today, with today's problems and under today's circumstances. What would Tidus do will not answer anything, even if he was really alive now and here to say what he would do. Peltarch doesn't belong to Tidus or his sentiment. Peltarch belongs to the people that live in it today and to their children.

I believe the efforts need to be put in making sure that whoever will rule Peltarch from now on is just, and is good. And no, I don't believe in the Divine Right for Peltarch. I have the greatest respect for her, but a god that does not make distinction between good and evil as long as the ruler is "fair" does not cut it for Peltarch. Peltarch needs more than fair rulers. It needs good rulers. Rulers that will work with clear and good intent, with the passion of their hearts, and not with a book of law where people are numbers and statistics.

What I also do not believe is in how the Senate has been conducted for as long as I can remember since arriving to Peltarch for the first time. Even back then, there were obscure plots and schemes involving Senators being aligned with guilds that smuggled illegal items, traded with slaves and dealt with murder. It isn't that much better these days, when even the senators of noble heart have grown indolent and careless, possibly burned out because despite being senators, they still felt like they did not have the tools to change Peltarch to be a better place.

So what is the solution? The solution is as hard as it is simple. The people must choose what they want. They have the right to choose freely. And this… points at the banners is just as cheap as the propaganda that most senators have used to buy citizen votes. I can't help feeling that all this merchandising and paraphernalia is just putting a price tag on Peltarch, not as a city, but as an ideal. Putting a price to a citizen's vote. The price being, sometimes a T-shirt, sometimes a bowl of soup...

And just as I don't like pricing votes this cheap, I don't like how the priests of Siamorphe were called up to check everyone during a census. That was completely uncalled for. Peltarch doesn't belong to Siamorphe, and they have absolutely no say on who would be fit to rule it. That's an exclusive right of every Peltarchian.

But what's done is done, and the options stand before us. What makes me really sad, is that it will not be a clean choice any more. Everyone will have to deal with Pro-monarchy or pro-senate campaigns that attempt to sway their opinion like tenacious salesmen, that explain only what is good from their product, but never mention the flaws of it. Many people have probably chosen a side now, and everything they see will only feed their confirmation bias, without really evaluating the other side of the story.

It makes me sick to think that Peltarch will belong for the next few decades to the better marketing campaign. If only for that, I'd be willing to overlook the Siamorphean coup at the census and see a king at the crown of Peltarch. That would surely do away with this prostituting of ideals and principles about something that is greater than all of us. It's the same song every few years, every time the elections are up. Even now, when it isn't even elections. When it is the fate of thousands of citizens, that we still refuse to cast our vote and let others cast theirs freely.

I've spent several days so far trying to decide what cause will I support, and I have not made my mind up yet. Not even my experience and whatever wisdom I have gathered over my many years in service to Lathander have granted me the insight to know what is the best option for Peltarch and its citizens.

It is a choice that can not be made lightly. I wish every citizen of Peltarch could make this choice freely, without bias or manipulations. But this all is just making it difficult for them. They will need to be very intelligent to make that choice from their heart, thinking carefully on every way that their decision may affect them, their children, and the children of their children. King or senate, whatever is the choice, it will be a good choice only if they made it themselves.

• Legion

@01cf755215=Karnivor:

I see the spirit of Tidus rising strong in George, I really do! But the question, really, is for each of you to answer for yourself.

What would Tidus do?”

She smiles, light blue eyes twinkling merrily as she leaves the gathering to ponder the question.

To be honest? I think George is a fine, upstanding fellow. But let's understand - he hasn't risen as a candidate for the throne on his own initiative. He is a piece in someone else's game, presented to us as a result of a very sneaky plan.

What would Tidus do? I really have trouble swallowing the idea that he would stand for the sly manner in which monarchists are attempting to instal this king. If he were here today - what would he do? With all my heart I believe he would fix those things that he forged, but are now broken. He'd fix the senate. He'd fix our election system so that the right candidates came to power, not those with money or with magic.

He'd make sure we could forge our own destinies by choosing our own leaders.

If the spirit of Tidus was in George, then the first thing George would do if made king would be to recreate the senate - one that would serve the interests of the people, then step down off his throne. That is the spirit of Tidus. That is what Tidus did, and I know in my guts that's what Tidus would do.

• Lycka also notes the banners, joining the small gathering to cheerfully add her opinion, soon elaborating into a long narrative:

"What -would- Tidus do, it's a good question when you think about it!

In Peltarch's early days, the first and foremost threat came from outside forces - the giants and then Hoarsgate, itching to reclaim control of our precious Jewel, their former trading outpost.

Tidus, wise and splendid fellow that he was, not only took an active and crucial role in defeating these threats but afterwards made choices designed to bring about long-term stability and freedom for the city: he instated the Senate to ensure the city's political autonomy, and then the Wavebreakers Guild, to ensure financial independance.

Tidus believed in every woman and man's right to persue their own destiny. He wanted his people to be free to make their own choices rather than be used in whatever way best lined the pockets of Hoarsgate trade houses. And while Tidus lived, this intent stayed true and the city grew strong and prosperous.

After Tidus' death, the Seafarers guild saw the light of day, followed by several others. As the years passed, the threat of Hoarsgate interests taking over lessened, but the power of our own guilds increased – in particular the Seafarers.

In 1098 DR, the Seafarers began trading in human lives, at first with prisoners of the recent war – but they soon found it far too lucrative a market to give up. While many in the city opposed slavery, it was over a hundred years until the practice could be stopped due to the Seafarers massive influence on the Senate.

Over a hundred years!

Money, once again, ruled the destiny of the people of Peltarch. It may not be the Hoarsgate trade houses that were in control, but the lining of pockets was certainly put before the banner of freedom.

What would Tidus have done then?

Is it even that much different now, when money is what makes or breaks a Senator’s campaign and that money comes with strings attached to protect certain interests?

And what would Tidus do now, when the cult of Cyric seeks to overthrow law and order, to spread distrust, panic and fear to our fair city? When Senate seats gape empty, either through manipulation, foul play or sheer apathy?

If you ask me, I’d say Tidus would do his best to protect our city and its people. He would seek to bring about long-term stability, both politically and economically, to see us prosper, see us free from Cyricist manipulation and Senators bought by whoevers pockets are the deepest.

Being wise and fair, he might even strive to improve the lot of the common man, the hard working people from which he himself sprang. He would see us gain more independence, building on our own steady supply of foodstuffs so that no one would risk starvation – so that an honest day’s work gave an honest pay and food on the table.

He would do this, even at the cost of his personal happiness, out of love for our city. He would let all of us choose our leadership.

Sounds sort of familiar, doesn’t it?

I see the spirit of Tidus rising strong in George, I really do! But the question, really, is for each of you to answer for yourself.

What would Tidus do?”

She smiles, light blue eyes twinkling merrily as she leaves the gathering to ponder the question.

• @1a5ebf912a=ClownBaby:

@1a5ebf912a=MCPlay:

Several commoners go by the banners, with mixed reactions:

"I don't know what Tidus would do, but I sure hope he'd take down those gods awful things out of there! They're hideous!l"

"Uh… How the hells did anyone get there?"

"Bah. Mad Marty is up to another of her looney schemes I bet. Will she ever quit?"

"Hmm... What WOULD Tidus do?"

A young man in his late twenties speaks up

"Wasn't it "Mad Marty" who saw this road leading to a king many years ago and even brought it up to the senate, in which they basically shamed her out of the chambers? Maybe she isn't so "Mad" after all…"

The elegant woman seems amused by the young, enthusiastic man

Let me tell you about this gadget I acquired a few years ago. It's the most marvelous instrument of gnomish design. It tracks the pass of time through a few needles that move accordingly to point out at a circle of notched numbers that resemble the precise time of the day and night in each moment.

Unfortunately, my little gadget one day stopped working. How ironic that it was the pass of time itself that did away with its ability to function properly. The needles are stuck, always pointing the same direction. It's old, and useless now, with no value beyond a mere keepsake. But it still gets the time right two times a day. Not because it means to, or it has the power of reasoning to get the time right. It's just because it exists and points somewhere, that eventually it will point at something that might make an illusion of sense.

Also, wasn't Sir Mariston the despot knight supposed to be that king, after he purposedly altered the Senate for it? Because I don't remember gnoll wars, cyricist demonic strikes forcing martial laws and all the myriad of complications being mentioned in any of the public senate meetings, or the word on the streets. Also I haven't seen Sir Mariston for years now… is he doing alright? Might he be the sinister hand behind all of this, and the old Tidus descendant just a puppet to his malicious schemes?

You know what? You convinced me now. I think we might be onto something here...

• Indeed sir, and may I ask why such a cruel name of "Mad Marty" even exists? She is hardly insane, but instead devoted to protecting the interests of Peltarch as every good citizen should be. I would instead congratulate her on her upholding the ideals of what Tidus started so long ago, but this isn't even about Marty, its about what Tidus started so long ago to bring freedom to these lands, then he himself stepped down as ruler so Peltarch could be free. What would he want for the people he helped to free?

• @264e9c1964=MCPlay:

Several commoners go by the banners, with mixed reactions:

"I don't know what Tidus would do, but I sure hope he'd take down those gods awful things out of there! They're hideous!l"

"Uh… How the hells did anyone get there?"

"Bah. Mad Marty is up to another of her looney schemes I bet. Will she ever quit?"

"Hmm... What WOULD Tidus do?"

A young man in his late twenties speaks up

"Wasn't it "Mad Marty" who saw this road leading to a king many years ago and even brought it up to the senate, in which they basically shamed her out of the chambers? Maybe she isn't so "Mad" after all…"