Marty preaches St Jerrick

• (OOC: I'm actually finding this whole thing pretty hilarious. Great RP by all. XD )

• Legion

a few days after her discussion in the commons, Marty again takes her position on top of her barrel and preaches her second sermon in the commons.

It has been said by Jerrick’s own flesh and blood that he, the Guardian of the Mountain, the one who holds the Balance of Nature in his hand, "despises" me. Aye that he is even "ashamed" of me! Some of you may have even heard this testimony here in these very commons.

I have meditated on this. At first I believed it just to be the humility of his kin - uncomfortable with the veneration of the one who they knew and loved when he was but a mere man. But I did ask, as we all may well ask, how is it that a “good man” hates one who loves him so much? How is it that he “despises” one who would give her life for him without a moment hesitation?

Let me confess the reason. I am a SINNER.

In his righteousness he has judged me, and found me wanting.

Aye, I may be righteous IN MY OWN EYES, as we all may have good opinions about ourselves. But in truth we SELFISHLY receive the benefit of sacrifice and then get on with our SELFISH agendas as if the sacrifice means little. Aye we continue in our SELFISHNESS, untouched by the love and sacrificial spirit that saves us!

And Jerrick watches over all. Why would he not be appalled at what he sees in me? For the greater the goodness, the greater the offence at impurity. As a sheep may appear to be white on the grass, but in the pure snow appear filthy, as do I appear filthy in the eyes of he who is now pure.

Aye before LOVE changes us, are we not but MAGGOTS, writhing in the FILTH of our own CORRUPTION!? Verily we do feast upon the fruits of our selfishness, and CRAP out CORRUPTION! And then we do FEAST upon that CORRUPTION, and crap out MORE CORRUPTION to FEAST UPON!

But now the message of LOVE has come to us! PELTARCH- I beg of ye, join with me in REPENTANCE! Let LOVE change ye! Aye in the name of SHEELA PERYROYL, who loves FERTILITY and REPRODUCTION, and in the name of SUNE whose temple is here, who is the patron of LOVE and BEAUTY, and in the name of St JERRICK, who guards over the balance of nature, and who loves nature’s bounty … in the name of all these and in the name of the gods ye may already worship … LOVE!

Let the MERCHANT love those he trades with, and trade with them fairly!

Let the DEFENDER love the Jewel, train hard and be ready to sacrifice themselves as many have already sacrificed themselves for ye!

Let the GUARD love Peltarch’s citizens, dispensing justice tempered with MERCY.

Let the HUSBAND love and cleave unto his WIFE! Aye let husbands be tender with them, and be intimate with them, that they may be fruitful and multiply, not forgetting foreplay and pillow talk. _with less volume Seriously… that stuff is important! Not that I would know from experience being a maiden, but I’ve heard …. Yeah it’s important._

resumes preaching voice

And verily, as we do LOVE, such will change us! AYE for it is impossible that SELFISHNESS and HATRED abide in the same heart as LOVE! Let the JEWEL be known as a place where selfishness and hatred are no more, and where LOVE REIGNS!

• Legion

Alright. So you would agree with Leena and say that what she said is true.

Let me ask you a Question Lycka. Jerrick being Guardian of the Mountain - "with all that entails", what does that mean to you?

What do you think it means to me?

Isn't worship simply love and admiration toward the spiritual being who is the governor of things that are sacred to you? Merchants worship Waukeen because trade is her domain, and trade is sacred to them. A paladin may worship Tyr because Justice is Tyr's domain, and justice is sacred to them.

I'm a druid Lycka. To me, the Balance is everything. Even the dogma of my goddess Sheela Peryroyl bless her name makes druidic genuflection is secondary to the Balance. The Balance is sacred to me.

The Balance is now Jerrick's domain. He is an immortal spirit that is in control over the thing that is most sacred to me. He may not be a god, but it isn't wrong for me to venerate him as my saint.

• "No, the word I'm looking for isn't 'quoted', Marty, because even though you may have written down Leena's words very accurately, you've set them in a frame which she doesn't agree with. I'd be highly irked if that happened to me, it's most certainly highjacking.

The story itself is truthful - several knights of the Order were on that same trip, as was Romulus, Defender Shallyah and Luke of the Black Sails. They're actual witnesses and participants in the dramatic journey up the mountain, each one a savior in their own right as they all put their lives on the line to stop the flooding. I expect Leena's spoken with several of them to get the full details of what happened.

No one disputes the story itself, nor the fact that Jerrick is now the Guardian of the Mountain, with all that this entails. He deserves full respect and admiration for the choice he made, I agree. It's when you turn admiration to -worship- that I have to disagree, and judging from Leena's reaction, so does she."

• Legion

"Hijacked"? Dear I think the word you are looking for is "quoted". It's pretty much word for word just as she said it. And it would have been wrong for me not to put her name on it, seeing that it is her story.

She told her story in public for many witnesses. It's just the same in writing. To be honest I really have no idea what the fuss is about. I mean … is there a part of her own story that she disagrees with? She did tell the truth right?

• A sceptical look from Lycka as she reads through the pamphlet Marty handed her.

"Yeah, no foisting at all - except for using her story, none of which she witnessed herself I might add, as the basis of your new belief. AND plastering her name on the front with huge letters, as if she endorsed the use of her words in this manner. Marty, you hijacked her story and turned it into something else, something she never intended, can't you see that?

I just hope Jerrick's getting a good laugh out of all this…"

• Legion

@95a643042c=Karnivor:

Lycka gives a wry smile.

"You haven't changed a bit, have you Marty? It never ceases to amaze me that you can look at the same story, the same evidence, hear the same exact words as I and still draw a completely, wildly different conclusion.

joking tone That'd be the wisdom darling.

@95a643042c=Karnivor:

But you're right in respect - you are free to believe what you want. I'd ask you to respect that Leena doesn't want the role you are trying to foist on her, though. How you interpret the story she told is frankly, all up to you - just don't go insisting that she intended for you to believe what you do. No one can predict the mind of Marty, that is my own firmly held belief."

OH no "foisting" and no "insisting" at all.

• Lycka gives a wry smile.

"You haven't changed a bit, have you Marty? It never ceases to amaze me that you can look at the same story, the same evidence, hear the same exact words as I and still draw a completely, wildly different conclusion.

But you're right in respect - you are free to believe what you want. I'd ask you to respect that Leena doesn't want the role you are trying to foist on her, though. How you interpret the story she told is frankly, all up to you - just don't go insisting that she intended for you to believe what you do. No one can predict the mind of Marty, that is my own firmly held belief."

• Legion

@de78d3cc95=Karnivor:

Lycka's calm, clear voice is heard interjecting the following:

"Marty, telling a story, whether based on fiction or fact, is -not- by definition preaching - else every bard would be a prophet or a priest. Preaching has a more specific aim, it's about influencing your audience towards a usually faith-based belief, and is often laced with lessons in morality - like your own sermons of the past few days. In short, preaching is about making others believe what you believe.

Well, to be fair dear, you weren't present when Leena spoke. I did write down her words though. Please, feel free to take a copy hands out a tract

You're right of course. Not every bard is a prophet or a priest. But she did more than just "tell a story". Her words inspired me to re-evaluate my faith. I still love my patron god. But consider this for a moment, up until I heard Leena's account of her father's deeds I had believed that the balance of nature - the very thing I have dedicated my life to preserving - was in the hands of my god, but under threat because of the conflict between gods of opposing motivations.

But now! I mean to find out that a man who I already loved and adored because of the sacrifice he made for me during the war - a man I already looked up to - to discover that he has been elevated to the place where he has control over the balance - to the point where the will of the gods of nature are second to his own goals ….

... are you telling that you don't think a story like that is going to lead me to faith? I have come to believe what Leena believes about her Father. So her account "made others believe" what she believes. I mean right after Leena's story one who heard immediately beseeches Jerrick for snow. That was an act of faith!

@de78d3cc95=Karnivor:

Jerrick's story is one that won't soon be forgotten - it will and already has been told and retold, many times in your absence. In fact, I know a young bard at the College who is composing a book about him. Well intended as your newfound worship is, it's upsetting to those of us who know him well, because while you glorify him, you also reduce him to something falsely perfect and far less complex than the whole of his person. Or the whole of his story, for that matter."

Please let me make something very clear. I love and adore Jerrick. Just as those who "know him well" do. I understand why some may feel uncomfortable with Jerrick's elevation. But understand, the gods of nature yield to his will in matters concerning the balance. He is the one "making them play nice". Please tell me that you can see things from my perspective? Maybe you need to be druish to fully appreciate the implications.

Here in Peltarch, we have freedom of belief. At lease last time I checked I did. As long as we don't bow the knee to Bane of course. Leena has spoken her truth. How about we let folks make up their own mind as to how to respond to it? I mean, for loving and adoring one who I hold to be my savior and a saint in my faith I am being called a "false prophet"? So … what ... I shouldn't love him? I shouldn't have gratitude toward him?

• Lycka's calm, clear voice is heard interjecting the following:

"Marty, telling a story, whether based on fiction or fact, is -not- by definition preaching - else every bard would be a prophet or a priest. Preaching has a more specific aim, it's about influencing your audience towards a usually faith-based belief, and is often laced with lessons in morality - like your own sermons of the past few days. In short, preaching is about making others believe what you believe.

Jerrick's story is one that won't soon be forgotten - it will and already has been told and retold, many times in your absence. In fact, I know a young bard at the College who is composing a book about him. Well intended as your newfound worship is, it's upsetting to those of us who know him well, because while you glorify him, you also reduce him to something falsely perfect and far less complex than the whole of his person. Or the whole of his story, for that matter."

• Legion

@0ee480ea5b=JerrickRafe:

Seriously. It was just story-time, so you could know what happened. I'm going to go find Rom.

calling after her

Oh please do.

Marty beams a bit, preparing a quill and parchment so she can take notes.

• Seriously. It was just story-time, so you could know what happened. I'm going to go find Rom.

She drags her sister toward the bardic college, thinking about how to make this right.

• Leena's twin, Elaine, holds Leena to speak to her

Don't botherr, sis… nobody's even gonna listen to herr. I've been talking to dad last night, and he said he doesn't wanna be forrgoten, but if therre's something he wants even less, is this crrazy woman prroclaiming herrself as a false prrophet of... him.

she then turns to anyone that is actually bothering to listen to the preaching

You hearr that? Jerrick is ourr fatherr, and he's a man like any otherr… what makes him special is a verry powerrful love forr his family, his frriends, and Naturre, and a verry strrong will to change the things that he thinks wrrong. He did make a sacrrifice, and yeah... he doesn't mind people rrememberring what he's done, but he doesn't want any of this dumb stuff. Rright now he's ashamed that this woman he trried to kick frrom the drruid cirrcle forr being an inept is degrrading his name by rrelating herrself to him. She's twisting the loving worrds of a daughterr towarrds herr fatherr as she spoke prroudly of him, and mocking that mutual feeling that both of them have forr each otherr.

If you think Jerrick was a herro... if you think he is a saviorr and you wanna show yourr grratitude, just show rrespect forr Naturre, and forr all the powerrs and beings that arre parrt of it. That's what my fatherr is, and if only one of you city people will become a little morre mindful of Naturre and the Wilds thanks to him, he'll alrready feel accomplished.

Now please... stop this nonsense, and go on about yourr lives... this show isn't worrth yourr time...

the redhead girl looks at Marty with disgust, much as one that has had her family name besmirched and insulted

//Charisma 28 at the time that she does this little "speech", for whatever it counts.

• Legion

Marty is easy to find. Most of her time is spent in the commons or wondering about the docks

You didn't ask to "be a preacher"? But you proclaimed his story before many witnesses publicly. That is -by definition- preaching. And you made it very clear that your desire is that his story be remembered. If his story is not proclaimed it is sure to be forgotten.

I can understand your hesitance to embrace your destiny as a witness to your Father. Some seek out greatness, while others have greatness thrust upon them. But while there is greatness in your blood it will be your deeds that determine whether or not your father is remembered or forgotten.

Your deeds so far are securing his legend, ensuring that his story is immortal just as he is immortal. To be honest I've no idea why you are upset. Was my penmanship not good enough? Please don't tell me I made a spelling mistake. I went to a lot of effort.

• Leena, being the busy sort like her aforementioned father, takes some time to come across this news, but can be found in stunned astonishment when she finds a copy of the Scripture of Jerrick in her hand, with her name plastered across the top.

"Hey, wait just a red-blooded minute! " She reads the whole thing, and looks around, as if suddenly hunting something. "I didn't ask to be a preacher of my own Dad's story! What in the nine hells is THIS?"

She shoves a copy of the parchment into her pack, and growls something low under her breath, before seeking out this Marty, to get an explanation.

• On her occasional visit to the city, Lorelai listens to the speech from the edge of the crown. She immediately facepalms while muttering to herself.

• a voice in the middle of the crowd yells "Jerrick for Magistrate!"

• Legion

"Mad"? "Lunatics"?

There is no madness in me. Let me tell you what is mad however - to never acknowledge love or to never value sacrifice. THAT is mad. Beyond mad. It borders on evil.

There is a saying. "A prophet is not without honor except in his own home". You may well think little of him because you are his flesh and blood, and I may to be called "mad" for honoring him beyond what you consider to be right. But yet … you just offered a prayer to him? You know him to be beyond mortal.

This is a knowledge that I hope all of us will embrace!

My brothers and sisters, I am not a religious lunatic. I am not worshiping Jerrick as a god. But if he is the one holding all of the gods of nature in balance, and ensuring that their actions work in our favor, how is he not significant? Kelemvore, and many other gods besides, were once mortal as we are. Who is to say Jerrick has not now trod the path toward divinity?

Whether or not Jerrick is a god is not for us to decide. But one thing that cannot be disputed - it would be wrong for his deeds to be forgotten. It would be insane for us not to praise him. It would be ignorant of us not to see his example as one that should be emulated in our own lives!

And again - he is now obviously beyond the state that could be considered merely mortal. I know there are those amongst us who can testify.

• ::A young, fur-clad redhead half elf girl watches incredulous::

Guess I get now why Jonni said she's known as Mad Marrty…

::she then looks up north, towards the mountains::

Hey dad? We know this isn't what you'rre afterr and you dun wanna be a religion forr lunatics. Just… come visit when you can... we miss you.

• Legion

Marty has dragged some large stones into the commons, and laid some wild flowers about them as an offering. Beside the stones she has set up a barrel, and uses a bar stool borrowed form the Mermaid Inn to climb up onto the barrel to give her speech

Listen good citizens of the Jewel!
    Hearken unto me – and I will share with you wonderful words! Words of our Saviour!

Verily I say unto ye that the fair weather that we now enjoy – the peace of a calm sea, the balance in nature that now keeps this city safe and fed- is all thanks to one man. A man whose LOVE and PASSION for all of us lead him to make a great sacrifice! And it is by this sacrifice that we are now saved!

JERRICK! Yes many of you know his name. A few of you even know his heart! Even his sacrificial spirit!

I experienced the wonder of this man’s nature for myself while fighting against the N’Jast! Yea when the traitor Tankred attempted to sacrifice me unto his undead master I fled! And when the death knight was almost upon me Jerrick stood between myself and the creature! Yea though he did smite the undead fiend with many blows Jerrick fell, giving his life to save mine! But the Gods did have a plan for their Anointed One! They did breathe life into him again! Again and again he gave his life for the salvation of Narfell! For the Salvation of Peltarch!

And when the unbalanced forces of nature threatened to destroy this city, he and a group of brave adventurers went unto the mountain, and verily there the Gods of Nature did give unto him a choice. And Yea he did choose to leave behind his life and give it in service unto the balance of nature. Yea he became ONE with the mountain! And even now his spirit abides there; governing the balance, ensuring the glacier freezes slowly, and that the coming winter approaches in due course and not before it’s time to destroy us.

Yea his spirit has spoken to us. Even in these very commons, within the walls of this great city he has spoken! He has revealed himself unto us! And his spirit hears us!

I ask you, dearest brothers and sisters of the Jewel – is it right that his spirit abide within the mountain in loneliness and in solitude? If his spirit hears us, should it not hear our words of gratitude? Is it not fitting for us to honour such a man as this! Verily I would go as far as to say that it is WRONG for us NOT to praise such a saviour! For the ungrateful are unworthy that such a sacrifice should be made for them unto their salvation! Should his spirit, which abides with us, bear witness to our apathy? Should his heart be chilled by the icy lack of love and thanksgiving that we now display? Nay! Verily I say again - NAY!
    No matter what gods ye worship, I implore ye to say a word of thanks toward the spirit of our saint Jerrick, the Guardian of the Mountain, Saviour of Peltarch, the Son of the Gods of Nature, the one who defends the balance so that we may be fed and may prosper. Who makes the fish and the land fertile. And brings about seed time and harvest in their proper season.

It is only fitting that we thank and honour him!

Beloved, I KNOW that some of you have HEARD the voice of his spirit! If you have heard his voice or seen his activity in these commons I BESEECH ye now to TESTIFY! Yea I BEG of thee! TESTIFY that the Jewel may know that his spirit is with us!