Regional Languages

• I'll maybe post something better another day, but for now here's a link.

http://mythdrannor.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Regional_Language_Information

Look up your home area.

The first language is your automatic regional.

In the case of a region inhabited primarily by one demihuman race, the regional is their racial language.

eg Evermeet

The following list will be Region, Automatic Languages, and Bonus Languages, in that order.

Evermeet - Elvish - Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Chondathan, Illuskan, Sylvan

You should not get any regional language in this case. I'm hearing that you can't proceeed to take your int based languages without picking a regional one first though, so keep posted on what will happen about this.

Any PC with a rogue level is currently able to speak thieves cant which they shouldn't be able to unless they have paid for it.

Everything else the language teacher in the lobby covers, or type !help for more info.

• @sciolist said in Regional Languages:

Hi DM Team?

The Language Teachers offer both Shou and HighShou. What is the intended difference in game, for someone who might only speak -one- of them?

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/High_Shou says "It was the official language of the empire, by custom and imperial edict. It was spoken by all Shou, from all social classes and professions, including the Emperor, a commonality that helped to unify the nation"

So - In Narfell - What is the distinct use of either language, so I can pick the more appropriate one and not have either peasants, or nobles, look at me funny for speaking the 'wrong' one.

EDIT - I picked HighShou - for its apparent widespread nature - if 'Shou' is more appropriate for this use in Narfell's context I'll either learn it too, or swap

I would say that "High Shou" is more of the dialect for nobles and scholars. "Shou" is more of the local regional dialect.

• Hi DM Team?

The Language Teachers offer both Shou and HighShou. What is the intended difference in game, for someone who might only speak -one- of them?

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/High_Shou says "It was the official language of the empire, by custom and imperial edict. It was spoken by all Shou, from all social classes and professions, including the Emperor, a commonality that helped to unify the nation"

So - In Narfell - What is the distinct use of either language, so I can pick the more appropriate one and not have either peasants, or nobles, look at me funny for speaking the 'wrong' one.

EDIT - I picked HighShou - for its apparent widespread nature - if 'Shou' is more appropriate for this use in Narfell's context I'll either learn it too, or swap

• Sign Language
    It is not canon, but the official Narfell House Rule is that it exists and can be bought as any other regular language.

• That's Fiendish Codex II stuff, a book that didn't come out till '06 and directly (possibly intentionally) conflicts with Fiendish Codex I, and neither of which are directly part of the FRCS.

My alphabet list comes from the 3.0 SRD.

• I have to Agree with Syied, Daemons Existed prior to Devils, As Devils were originally Angels, Asmodeus proposed the pact primeval and yadda yadda….

And I'll seccond the point that we need to be carefull that we use FR source Material Over DnD source material whenever possible.

• Here's the article about Assassins in Dragon #379, and again says nothing about languages, like the DMG it focuses on explaining traits, spells, skills and mechanics. In lacking evidence or source of any kind, I'll go and say that assassins don't get their own language in Forgotten Realms, at least until some documented proof says otherwise.

• FR wiki assassin entry refers only to DMG and a Dragon article:

Mike Mearls. Assassin, Dragon #379, p. 16-38. Wizards of the Coast.

Probably worth a gander. I'll see about looking it up tomorrow if no-one else has before then.

Everything in core DND tends to apply unless FRCS contradicts it so there needn't be any FR-specific lore. But for possible realms-specific source books to check there's a list here:
    http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/3rded.htm

• Yeah, I have it in front of me. See, that's a DND book. Can't have FR lore in a DND book. DND is based around Greyhawk Campaign Setting, so there's no Lathander, there's Pelor, and so on. I'll see if I can find the book that speaks about assassin lore/background in the Forgotten Realms.

• http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc

DMG to check according to that.

• Yeah. The thing is, the assassin PRC is in a DND book, not a FRCS one. So the FRCS lore about assassins has to be hidden in some book that I don't remember…

As I said, googling hasn't returned any benefitial input, and I can't remember where I saw/read about the assassin's language.

• That's a Green Ronin splat book.

House rules on sign language should be coming in due course.

• What about Assassin's Cant/Sign language?

I'm almost certain I've read about it in some FR source book as a special language that assassins are trained with when they enter the "trade", but I can't find anything in my books neither googling.

There is a DND book called "The Assassin's handbook" that explains:

@6d5fb7559f:

Bonus Languages: The assassin may substitute any language for one available to him because of his race. He may even select secret languages, such as Druidic. Additionally, all Assassins are taught a secret sign language that consists of hand signals and subtle motions. The Assassin sign language may not be learned by non-Assassins and is never taught to outsiders.

But that's not Forgotten Realms as far as I can tell. I think to remember the source of the Assassin's language to be a FR book, not a regular DnD one.

• It doesn't exist. Our bad for pointing to the wiki without checking it :oops: you're good for taking something else instead of that with your intelligence bonus or skill points.

• @f0721dca63:

Mordain Dethek. Spoken by the dwarven clergy of dwarven dieties

Does this one exists?
    I took it for Vander, but it s not listed in the teacher and a DM said he wasnt sure this was right?

Edited to point out I am asking to change it to something else 🙂

• I have no idea where that comes from. My stuff's from the core books like Fiend Folio, as FR borrows for its cosmology.

• …Demons and Devils as one group before the Blood War? I understood a very, very different history between the Demons and Devils... that the Devils had always been Demons' enemies, but became like Demons as they fought them - originally Angels.

• Yeah, that sounds like someone's house rule. Demons would have based their language on Infernal because as the core lore goes, once the Demons and Devils (and Yugoloths) were one group, before the Blood War began.

FRCS doesn't change much except to add regional languages, but I'll go and update those alphabets.

• Both are house rules (as is Romani). Dora has documented how cant will be handled here:

http://www.narfell.us/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=479187#479187

• Where can we read in FRCS about the sign and cant languages? I think I was playing Aelhaearn with both.

• The Narfell languages wiki, having looked at it, is a load of nonsense. eg if you google you'll find that out of all the internet there is no other website with those Clerical languages. It might have been a house rule for whoever wrote that page. I don't trust anything without a [FRCS] tag of it because of that.

The 3.0 PHB agrees with Cardamon's list, and the FRCS doesn't change anything for the monster languages. Just change the following:

Elven = Espruar
    Dwarven = Dethek
    Common = Thorass

Abyssal does indeed use the Infernal alphabet.

Disclaimer:
    Unless someone can point to a 3E source which says something other. I've been through all the basic books.