Restricted Prestige Classes?

• Dev

As a new player in town I have a few questions…

What player classes are most likely never going to be approved by DMs? (ie pale master, blackguard, etc)

Where can evil characters go? (Norwick is goody goody and I have not seen any of this political corruption mentioned in Peltarch's brief summary given via the lobby informants)

please help thanks much

• Dev

yea seems on a low level server its best to stay mostly pure or half and half

• Lol so there you have it, another valid reason for a lack of them. 😛

• @87297eba9e=JerrickRafe:

One step above helpful? Probably… giving!

And as for your question, I don't think it's so much of the potion brewing thing as it is that Harpers are an organization, and simply one that has no set place in Narfell. It would require a lot of history kind of thing, with a brand new org, centered about a PrC. It just doesn't make sense to create an org which depends on PrC'ed characters, I think.

Make sense?

RPwise, the last campaign that had Harpers in it, well, they turned out to be a real asshole Org. That is only the immediate interaction I've recently had with them.

• One step above helpful? Probably… giving!

And as for your question, I don't think it's so much of the potion brewing thing as it is that Harpers are an organization, and simply one that has no set place in Narfell. It would require a lot of history kind of thing, with a brand new org, centered about a PrC. It just doesn't make sense to create an org which depends on PrC'ed characters, I think.

Make sense?

• Legion

For memory Marty was already pretty impressed with the charming sorceror, so when she was targeted with a charm spell… well she got a bit of a girly crush going. It raises your attitude by one level - what's one level above "helpful"?

Back to PrC ... I always wanted to play a harper. I was wondering if anything could be done to get that class into the game. I mean, if it's an issue with the potion brewing feat, that can be fixed I think.

• The Halfling Defence League

@f7e6da5471=rei_jin:

A friendly piece of advice, you've probably already worked it out but if I don't say it I'll wonder about it…

If you are going to play evil, there's three basic ways to do it.

1. Anti social Evil
    2. Subtle Evil
    3. Crazy Evil

Option 1 will see you very bored, unless you can get a group of fellow evil doers around you with similar aims and ideals. Option 3 will get you killed very, very quickly.

Option 2 is the most common one, and the one that will yield the longest life expectancy for a character, short of building a guild around you for support.

Having tried all three, I would definitely recommend option 2.

Lies!! option 3 is as bad as option 1, but will only get you killed depending on the type of crazy, the "I will slaughter all!!" crazy will, most defanly' the "my brain has been through a blender, served back to me on toast, eaten, digested, flushed, treated then finely lost, and replaced by a room for rent sign" type of crazy is hilarious, and would get you locked up in a loony bin, if narfell had one. and the great thing is this kinda crazy is open to any alignment or class (though less likely to be pallys, more likely to be wizards or evil clerics)

remember! there will be cake! at the end of the tunnel Bwhahahahar!!

• Great story !

cheers

• PPbbtt..Yolande didn't need charm spells

• That's absolutely great 😃

• Charm person makes the target feel like you are their most trusted friend. They will not automatically do what you say. Yes, if they see you cast it, they have good cause to be angry when it wears off.

There’s the rub you see. They have to see you cast it.

It’s one of the reasons Yolande took “Still Spell”. By casting such things without hand gestures, it became the power of her words, and more subtle. Yolande would move up to a guard, stand 20 feet away behind him, and charm him. Then she would move into view, and the guard would say, “Yolande! My friend!”, and she would ask him to do something simple, for her, “Just this once (wink)”.

The real OOC issues I had were with Dominate Person. People really despised that.

One of my most amusing moments was when a mage charmed Maya back when I first started playing her. He needed someone to hunt goblins with him, and Maya was busy doing other things. He charmed Maya, who decided that, “Of course she would help her best friend!”, and off they went. They mage soon discovered however, that Maya tends to get a little “excited” after combat. After combat for her, was a chance to “Celebrate life”…and here was her best friend! The stammering and RP of the mage was brilliant, as Maya stood there towering over him, pressing him against a tree, wanting to take his clothes off.

• Legion

@6010d8efe3=Robyn:

…My evil character was a sorceress, and specialized in mind controlling spells and powers. This included Charm Person, Suggestion, Detect Thoughts, and Dominate Person. While used on NPC’s with great effect, the application on PC’s was too often met with confrontation unless a DM was present to oversee the PvP aspect of it. I soon discovered that it was OK to beat someone down to near death with a sword, but make them do or see things they don’t want to do or see, and you had an OOC fight on your hands....

Was that the character who cast charm person on Marty? I thought that was great! I did have some questions about it though. I have a couple of "charm person" scrolls, and I wasn't sure how they work IC. I mean, the person you cast it on knows you are casting a spell on them, so after the spell wears off, the end result is that they are cranky at you for messing with their mind right? And the spell only lasts a few rounds.

So I'm trying to visualise the situation in my mind. Marty needs to get on someone's good side. She pulls out the scroll and casts "Charm Person" on them. They love her and are very helpful for the next 12-18 seconds, but then after that they are like "Oi … you just make me like you with a spell! GRRRR!" Is there a way your character got around this, or is it just something you have to take as an IC consiquence of casting a spell on someone?

• @327c94060c=Teringer:

@327c94060c:

The great thing about playing evil in Peltarch is that as long as you obey the laws, you are pretty safe.

Unless you're a specific type of Lawful Evil, in which case you're banned….. 😛

Lolz.

• Until you get comfortable with the server, I advise new players not to play a strong evil character, or a priest of a strong evil or ostracized god/goddess. This only comes from personal experience.

In order to play an evil character, even a subtle one, at one time or another you’re going to be doing things that a large portion of the server population is not going to like. Some players handle this well. Some players do not. It’s been my experience that even some of the long established players can take this very badly.

My evil character was a sorceress, and specialized in mind controlling spells and powers. This included Charm Person, Suggestion, Detect Thoughts, and Dominate Person. While used on NPC’s with great effect, the application on PC’s was too often met with confrontation unless a DM was present to oversee the PvP aspect of it. I soon discovered that it was OK to beat someone down to near death with a sword, but make them do or see things they don’t want to do or see, and you had an OOC fight on your hands.

If you’re not careful, you can find yourself rather alone on the server, even when 20+ people are logged in.

However…

If done right, it can be a source of challenge and amusement. One of the most active guilds on the server is very tolerant of people of questionable morals, and has active priestesses of a rather evil goddess well known and out in the open. Look around, talk to people, and find out what you can in-game.

Good Luck!

• ((off topic_ Tpickles… can you resize your avatar to the right width? its huge, and it makes those of us on mobile devices want to request PK. 🙂 ))

• @42e56100b1:

The great thing about playing evil in Peltarch is that as long as you obey the laws, you are pretty safe.

Unless you're a specific type of Lawful Evil, in which case you're banned….. 😛

• point at the ebil thread in the New Adventurer's Inn

• Peltarch Far Scouts

A recent character of mine, Camella, went with option 2 and it was a lot of fun. The great thing about evil people is that they do not have to realize they are evil. They dress their evilness in the trappings of acceptable social behavior, while tiptoeing over the darker aspects of themselves that are less favored by society.

A person can justify an evil stance and make it sound perfectly reasonable from their own perspective. If this stance isn't so insane as murdering or raising undead, then you wont necessarily be seen as evil, nor might anyone decide to take action against you.

Yet there is a 4th option missing from that list, it is the hardest of them all. That is the option of villain, normally only played by DMs because it requires power to exercise this option. A villain is an evil person who is not necessarily anti-social, subtle, or crazy (not completely anyway).

The 4th option requires power, and so the nature of the server pretty much prevents one from walking that path from the beginning. You can transition into it, though. Usually this option occurs when a DM causes a powerful good character to go evil. Beginning as subtle evil and then slowly becoming more so as you gain power is possible too.

The 4th option results in your death if you execute it properly. That should be you endgame, a magnificent demise.

• Dev

Thanks so much
    Yea unless your a subtle evil pickpocket. Everyone knows when u pickpocket them so basically they figure it out (or at least thats what happened with one of my characters). Someone went ooc and got me fined. Granted they earned it because they found out after I stole about several hundred gold. I can see how that would anger someone

• A friendly piece of advice, you've probably already worked it out but if I don't say it I'll wonder about it…

If you are going to play evil, there's three basic ways to do it.

1. Anti social Evil
    2. Subtle Evil
    3. Crazy Evil

Option 1 will see you very bored, unless you can get a group of fellow evil doers around you with similar aims and ideals. Option 3 will get you killed very, very quickly.

Option 2 is the most common one, and the one that will yield the longest life expectancy for a character, short of building a guild around you for support.

Having tried all three, I would definitely recommend option 2.