Scary Memory '04

• That was early this morning…i had never been on the second level of the small crypt down in norwick's graveyard and went with my Scout Firdrya acompanied with a strong group of lowbies.

every thing ws going perfectly well...some profane zombies were hard but we managed and soon the whole floor was almost cleared up to the last room where some kinds of undeads i never seen before awaited us and not just a few but a wall of them some in fullplate some more savage like
    soon my poor litle scout got scratched for 90% of her hits and got sick she tryed to move back from melee and got hit again unconscious to the grund for a good 15 minutes before she died surrounded by undeads.

And scince being a militian never pays well she could'nt afford to e raised back to life so she went trough the grinder Fir is actualy in shock unable to even understand what she's been trough she is not about to go out training any time soon and might even retire from the militia.

• @589427f167=Grivel:

I remember Malika threatening you to unsummon your imp. Druids were more militant in those days and thought they owned the woods. She's more mello now. :twisted:

They don't own the woods? :?

• @19bb5c4f69=SickFish:

I was just strolling around the woods, didn't know where i was going, letting my familiar kill all the golbins, my IMP familiar. Apparently druids dont like imps and every time I entered the woods there seemd to be a druid lurking around threatening to freaking kill me if I didn't unsummon him. It wasn't untill years later i met Wolf that Belam'r learned not to be afraid of druids, or rather not to be afraid of one or two specific druids.

I remember Malika threatening you to unsummon your imp. Druids were more militant in those days and thought they owned the woods. She's more mello now. :twisted:

• I've had a lot of moments in Narf where I've been on the edge of my seat thinking "oh God, this is terrible!" because honestly, bad things happen! But one of the most horrible times was when one of my characters threw all his cards on the table and had only one choice - the honourable death in stead of so many, really unforgivable crimes. As a player I hated myself, I was going to lose so much EXP, what's the point it's not like the other characters present are going to change their minds, the character had recently died and already lost a level et cetera; those were my thoughts.

But the character done it, there he was dead-ish on the ground while things around him unfolded. The other characters were emotional, the DM was shocked - everything was very surreal for a few minutes. And like every time one of my characters dies I was furious - I played it cool on the server but I had to get up and just do something, so I got a cup of tea. When I came back all this crazy stuff was going on. But before that, that was a scary moment. Absolute certainty about what would happen, knowing the result would not be good - at all - and doing it anyway just 'cause.

I remember another scary moment while playing as Elidur too, when out fighting the Scalesinger ages and ages ago, one of the party members (Luke C.) was killed by a barrage of spells, well he was in -hp and could be healed back to life - but there was Elidur, the tremendously killable Bard with 27 HP at full - and there was Luke, dying on the floor. What do I do… I stood and thought about it all the time this other character is dying slowly and I'm freaking out - I opened up Elidur's inventory and used a balm on Luke, which saved him. I apologised so much in tell for waiting so long to do it, it was scary not for my character - but as a player who was almost willing to let another player's character die just for a poncey Elf bard. Yikes!

I hope he's forgotten all about that day. :lol:

• I was a sorcerer so any deep rawlinswood adventure was terrifying due to sneek Goblins being able to one shot me. But the scariest time had to be at lvl1 and not from a monster or a DM but from PC's.

I was just strolling around the woods, didn't know where i was going, letting my familiar kill all the golbins, my IMP familiar. Apparently druids dont like imps and every time I entered the woods there seemd to be a druid lurking around threatening to freaking kill me if I didn't unsummon him. It wasn't untill years later i met Wolf that Belam'r learned not to be afraid of druids, or rather not to be afraid of one or two specific druids.

Another PC scare come from some cleric cant remember her name for the life of me, but she had acess to polomorph and she turned into a troll and threatened to eat Belam'r, had him held in the air by his freaking ankles. Ever after when he saw her he thought she was really a troll pretending to be an elf.

Another time we where sitting around Jiyyd and some Troglodytes started poping out of the well, so Belam'r decides to take the fight to them, 500xp form lvl6, and jumps down it. DM spawns two two or three trogs, I invis and run into the next room. Nobody is coming down after me so I figure I'll rest up and try and take them all out. Got my familiar out and a summoned celestial dogg and charged head on. Died horribly and was scared as hell.

• Scariest Memory I have with Atel was when she went with Zak and a few others on a trip to clense the Norwick graveyard of undead. We were following a 3rd level paladin (who died on the trip) and at the time i think Atel was level 4, nothing big but enough to hold my own.

I cant remember how deep we were but i remember that my client crashed, internet reset, and then when i got back in game and transitioned to follow my party and catch up the server glitched and i ended up on the complete opposite end of the lower crypts that everyone else was at. No DMs were on at the time so i did the only thing i could think of and hid in the corner hoping none of the monsters would see through my measly +8 ( i think) bonus to hide…somehow none did.

A Tense half an hour later they found me and i lived through the odeal.

\never went to the crypts with Atel after that...

• The end battle of the crystal war, down in the caves….with a level 2 rogue. Somehow managed to survive. No, I don't know how.

Fade went hob hunting with a cleric(both of us level 5) decided to take a quick peek inside the cave in the nars. We get inside, it's not too bad, the usual hobs, we're cleaning up, hoping there would be treasure....Then I step on the carpet. Didn't know narf had trapdoors.... damn hobs. I spent almost an hour at 6HP, playing tag with the krenshar's in the maze, while the cleric organised a rescue party.... I hear explosions as they take out the big guards, and meet up with them. We're heading out, when my friend the cleric steps ont he carpet on the way out. Back down we go, rescue her, and head back up. Hmm, where did that big stone door come from? and why is there a Lich....ohgodthepain! Yeah, that was a fun one.

The scariest part was wandering around that maze in the dark, with Krenshar coming out of nowhere at me, howling through the walls of the maze....

neptix

• Oh and I think the scariest for me has to be soloing in places no player in their right mind would stealth to.

Bottom of the Warrens
    Razz's chambers
    End of the Winding Caverns
    etc…

Make ONE mistake... and it is ALL over. :ninja:

Although, maybe the first meeting with the Drow in Masume's adventure below Norwick. The one where I got everyone killed or enslaved because Kharbeh went ballistic and started attacking an entire contigent of Drow.

Amazingly, I was the last one standing and took off running. Turned a few corners and stealthed up in a nook. About twenty seconds later... two drow come b-lining for me and bambambam... I go down. That twenty seconds was pretty tense. Are they following? Did I make it? Should I go and see if anyone else is alive and bleeding out?

Durned auto-following bug! 😉 x42

• @f8270315f7=Clan:

thanks Kuk. I had forgotten that Dwin and Foilir had matching armor 🙂

Yep… as I remember for some reason my possession of the Frost Giant was twitchy... so while you all were standing there posing... he would occasionally go nuts and start wacking at you. The image got me a good chuckle... thanks Kuk.

• I think Linah did die. It was an awful moment for Shyrae as Linah was at that moment her best friend. Of course she was brought back, but still …

• Don't remember dying in that one Vile, but I've no doubt I wasn't in great shape either. I think what saved me was the fact that I'd cast mage armour (the old style +4) on myself and not Linah and I had the old Red +1 studded (anyone remember that stuff? - looked garishly horrible in bright red but it was good stuff).
    Anyway the +5 AC ( might even have been +6 as I'd a +1 natural AC pendant back then too, which stacked with the old style as I remember) meant Linah didn't hit often but her sneak attack when she did was devastating while her leathers allowed even me to pepper her but I wasn't doing as much damage. Not sure I even killed her either..but it's hard to remember.
    I died a couple of times in Skara's so the place still holds terrors for Ad but not sure that was one of those times.

• My first taste of real terror was back in the day … I think Shyrae, my Archery ranger, was about level 6 or 7 back then. We decided to go into Skara's Cave. I had never been there before, and we thought the party would be strong enough. I think the party consisted of the following:

Darrs' "Blink" - Decent level Cleric
    Shyrae - Ranger/fighter with archery focus
    Lillianna Duprez - Low level bard/rogue
    Adlanail Glinfain - ranger/bard
    Linah - Ranger/rogue

and then two characters who were extremely low level back then, but later grew out to be powerhouses in their own right:

Merim Ashe - halfling druid/rogue
    Lao Mei - Dwarf cleric

It all went well, right up till the moment we had to fight Skara. With a cleric in the party pretty much everything was cake for us. But Skara, as always, opened the fight with Confusion. Much to everyone's terror, everyone failed his save. That is, everyone, except the two lowbies who were cowering outside the door to her room.

It went rather badly. Linah (with her sneak attack) and Adlanail basically killed off each other with bows. Lilianna got hammered into dust (possible she survived, I can't recall too well) by Skara, and Shyrae, confused, pummeled the flat-footed and confused cleric with shot after shot, leaving him near death.

In the end, it wasn't half as scary (or bloody) as many events or adventures I would witness later, but it was my first taste of the -real- narfell.

• Oh the Barron was great. Those were the days. Back then, the odds of surviving any random adventure was well below 50%. You went in with a party built for shock and awe, or so you thought. You came out of the encounter shocked and awed that 80% of the party was now in the fugue!

Over time survivability increased, and you could pretty much identify who was going to live and die.

Nice memory. Loved the Barron maps!

• Back in the day, round about where the dwarven hold now is, used to be the bandit mines. Deep in there was the Baron's lair where he kept his treasure..and it was worth going..if you could mount the party to take it.

Adlanail was around 3rd-4th level (I fluctuated from 3-5 quite a lot for a while) when he hooked up with a wolf-led party intent on getting their hands on some of the barron's loot. There were around 8 of us ranging in the main from 8th > 5th level with Adlanail and some noob paladin (Damarcus , I think it was) tagging along at the back.
    The main entrance was no problem and was easily cleared and once we were in, the wolves in the party , Grivel, Karion and Othar'a provided good scouting info allowing us to pick our fights. There were two routes to the baron's lair culminating in a corridor in the middle of which were the double doors leading to his lair. Well, someone must have been in communication with the Dm's as the resistance along the corridor increased with the bandits sheltering in the small corridor leading to the double doors.
    So the wolves formed a plan to hold one side while some made their way up the other route so we could catch the defenders in a crossfire. It worked a treat…or so we thought. We gained the double doors with relatively minimal damage. So then someone decides to listen to the doors...whispering beyond. Aha ! an ambush !
    Usually it was the Baron and a couple of tough bandits..we were in the shape still to take them. Only....

This time whatever DM we had hooked up decided that a couple was 6 or so..and that more of the minions had survived. Someone should've told them the wolves were scouts ..not stand up fighters !
    We opened the door expecting to rush the baron and 3-4 others and instead found about 14 with more than half of them tough considering our level and current state.

RUN !

Well it was slaughter...not only that but we'd been blindsided. The entrance cavern that we'd cleared had respawned in the interim. Ad, who had something like 18 hp to start had to rush the cavemouth with 2 guards while most of the others got caught up in the fighting. He got out with 2 hp to spare. After a few moments someone else transitioned too. The paladin...buck naked. He'd only got out by divine intervention and the mobs hitting someone else while he was down..he couldn't tell who.
    So we waited....
    and waited...
    ...... no-one.

Gulp !

My knees were literally knocking but Ad's friends and companions were in there along with the paladins armour. I was getting tells from the fugue by the dozen but I knew that Ad would -have- to go back in. shrugs He'd have to take a look to be sure...or he wouldn't have been Ad. That was my scariest moment right there. Gulping down my courage I transitioned in sneak mode (remember, Ad was a 3rd level BARD) and prayed. From his tells I think the abandoned paladin was having a heart attack, right there. The scene inside was utter carnage - Lootbags lying scattered. Nothing but bandits in sight. Thankfully no-one saw me. I think the Dm's provided me with a robe for the paladin and I blessed whatever Dm had been watching for me.
    So I exited and went with the paladin to Norwick to raise the alarm and mount a rescue mission.

Whew...massive sight of relief...it all ended up well.

• Scariest memory..

Wolf

It would have to be during the orc war. All the adventurers were having a good day and decided to push the defense forward! Yay, we're winning!

But all that excitement was shot down, as about thirty destroyers and several orc mages showed up, along with orcish archers. This took place on the plains. The adventurers stood their ground and decided to face them all head on. Lightning was really handy here, cept whenever Wolf did it, the archers would -all- shoot at him. As he was running away, several 'critical hits!' were seen off into the distance, the arrows flying at poor Wolf. And I just said, "yeah I'm dead…" and which he would've been, but that great thing called 'divine intervention' saved the druid, thus he ran off with his tail between his legs, living to fight another day.

Ronan

Ronan's scariest experience would have to be that north tower in Oscura. Wykith was the DM. Never has the sorcerer seen how cruel the world can be, and it disturbed him quite a bit.

Many times was he helpless in the tower. Both in battles and in puzzles. His spells quickly ran out, thus making him useless during the middle of the event. All he wanted to do was get out the second he entered the tower. And OOCly, my leg was bouncing anxiously the whole time, not knowing what was next, and just praying to God I stayed alive, which I did!

Probably the longest, and most fun event Ronan has been in.

• The Halfling Defence League

That's awful cute. 😛

• thanks Kuk. I had forgotten that Dwin and Foilir had matching armor 🙂

• @42c26a7269=Kerby:

That was a lot of fun for me too. In fact, so much so that at the end I think I possessed one of the frost giants so we could take a group shot of the dwarves and their nemesis for the family scrapbook. I MAY still even have that on a backup disc someplace. I need to go dig for that.

That was the "Oy" shot. It was linked to in the Council of Moradin. I had a bunch of pics there. But I don't think I have them anymore.

• @4d65a40fbd=Clan:

In that magical week between Xmas and New Years (in 2005) a bunch of us dwarves went ogre hunting in the cold caves.

Dwin, Foilir, Ragnar, Krig, Maythor… Kerby was DM'ing.

I hadnt ever been there before. I vaguely remember Foilir and Dwin hiding behind the others.

I was physically shaking. Something about that place really gives me the creeps. Plus it was freezing in my basement where my computer was 🙂

Anyway, when I think of scary times on narf, I think of that one. It was one of the most fun nights I've ever spent playing Dwin... I think we have some screenies of it someplace...

That was a lot of fun for me too. In fact, so much so that at the end I think I possessed one of the frost giants so we could take a group shot of the dwarves and their nemesis for the family scrapbook. I MAY still even have that on a backup disc someplace. I need to go dig for that.