Norwick's envoys and the goblins of the West Rawlins

• Tindra closes her eyes and nods at Ragnhild's words.

"My mother's tribe live two weeks travel east of Norwick, and my father's people somewhere near that. I have no idea if they survived Sharn's army. And now, if they survived that monstrous army, have these demonic atrocities gotten to them? It's painful not knowing. I may be an exile, but I still see my mother's people as kin. None deserve this fate."

She pauses and shakes her head angrily, "No, perhaps one does deserve this… But he was more of a monster than I could ever be."

She sighs heavily and turns back to the camp. "Let's see about offering the dead here some peace, and then I'll scout around for any landmarks."

• Belin grunts at the scene and pulls out what looks to be an ale bottle. Looking to Ragnhild

Yuh want meh tuh say sumthin o'er them for yuh?

Pulling a gold medalion from her shirt she kisses it and then she sets about mumbling in dwarven with some hand waving, finger wiggling and ale sprinkling ((Consecrate (level 2 spell) - Fill area with positive energy Evoc Close 20-ft radius))

whilst muttering in dwarven the words "dwarven father" are heard frequently.

• Ragnhild too grows more bleak in spirit the closer they get to the former camp, her usual cheer replaced by grimness as she notes the growing decay and death all around. As the party reach their destination, it is a pale-faced warrioress who moves slowly through the grounds, her pained expression soon turning to cold rage as she spots the impaled remains. Through gritted teeth, Ragnhild speaks in a low growling whisper:

"I buried them all.. young and old, vhoman and child, warrjor and shaman.. buried them, sang the songs of passing vhile smoke still rise from wreckage of camp site. This.. this vhas done -after-, their rest disturbed, the earth itself cursed. As if in mockeri…"

Following Tindra's gaze eastwards, Ragnhild's eyes burn with icy blue fire as her hand turns white with the force of gripping her spear.

• Tindra's mood sombers as the woods change closer and closer to death. Though she's no druid, it is obvious to her companions that she feels a connection of sorts with the woods.

Upon reaching the old campsite, she sets about to search and explore the charred land quietly, responding only when asked. After a short while she pauses and stares eastward with a worried look in her eyes.

• As the party travels southwards they notice an increasing lack of wildlife, the area seems more devoid of most animal life, neigh a bird sings, a goblin roam, nor an animal prowl the night. The nights are eerily quiet except for that of bugs and rustling trees as they grow closer to Grahk's old camp. It is quite obvious when the party finally arrives at their destination. The woods are blackened as if burned with very hot fire , the smell of sulfur and brimstone feel the air. Old bones stickup from the marshy ground, the smell of rot and decay is released with every step as the party looks thru long rotten tents and camp remnants you come across periodic skeletal remains impaled on sharpened sticks. From the feathers and what not you expect these were once goblin shamans. Oddly enough, it seems like the skeletons were put on the sticks long after death,almost like an after thought. The camp itself seems to have been ransacked long time ago. Nothing seems to grow in the area, it is almost like the place itself is blighted or cursed.

• Upon Dwin's inspection, the contents of Ragnhild's box are naturally ales of only the finest dwarven make. Giggling merrily at his comment, Ragnhild runs a few laps around him in her usual playful manner, then reverts to a somewhat more serious stride. Tindra and Belin are both greeted with a warm smile.

"Spells and ales be both for distribute vhen need, so no need for either juss yet. I am sure troubel of some sort vill find, but vith company such as yours, I feel confident kan handel most of annithing!"

As the party continue ever deeper into the forest, Ragnhild settles into a steady wolflike trot, light blue eyes scanning the surroundings attentively.

• Belin nods to dwin keeping pace with the rest patting herself down to check for ready ales and jerky

<d>I should have enough ale for at least 3 weeks if we are frugal.</d>

• Tindra meets up with Ragnhild and Dwin just as they pass by the ruins of the old southern gate. "Good morning," she says with a polite smile. "If either of you want any protective or strengthening spells just ask. Hopefully, we won't find much trouble, but I'd be surprised if that happens."

• Dwin quicly explains and recaps whats above

We'd be happy to have you along. Keep yer eyes and ears open.

• Belin watches them head out the gate and trots a long for a bit

Where you going kin?

• Dwin quickly inspects the ales and then straps them to his back. Grabbing his "walking stick" he rushes to catch up with the long determined strides of Rag.

Remember, lass! Every step o yers is two o mine! Don't go too fast…

• In the soft golden light of an early morning not many days later, Ragnhild once more fastens the goblin charm to her spear as she prepares to set off. Grinning widely, she hands Dwin a rather heavy wooden box, the clanking of bottles within easily betraying its contents.

"You did say vould carri the ales, Dwin! I travel like queen this time, pack so light. I brought food though, hope you both like bear steak vell done.

Now, I have not gone to old camp in years, so I vill need to focus on find the right path. Tindra and you perhaps kan keep eyes open for annithing resembling things on map vhile we valk, ok?"

Ever impatient, the blonde warrioress strides ahead energetically without really waiting for an answer, long legs carrying her swiftly forwards into the forest. She seems relatively confident of the general direction, but slows down at times to ponder.

• Tindra nods as she hands the map back to Ragnhild. "Aye, I think the trip could be worthwhile. We can see if anything nearby fits the symbols on the map."

• Dwin half-smiles and nods to Rag

I'll carry the ales.

• Ragnhild quickly bites the cork off the bottle of ale produced from her bulging pack, then drains it in one go. Belching thunderously, she begins to look less strained, but comprehension has clearly not yet dawned on the barbarian woman's mind. She peers at the map as Tindra twists and turns it about, then opens a second ale to sip more slowly.

"Fruit trees? Huh.. vhat interest have gobbalins in fruit trees? You probabli right though, I am famously poor at riddel and map things in general. Slippy rocks though, hm.. could be some place vith loose gravel, vhere rockslides common? Or rocks in still vater, all slipperi vith slime and moss?"

Ragnhild scratches her head, fingers nearly getting caught in the blonde, tangled curls. A thoughtful pause later, she goes on:

"I think like you Dwin, that crown symbol be final destination, and mean to show chieftain's status.. vhere to start is question though. If like, we kan head to Grahk's old camp and begin search from there, maybe something recognizable find near? Place is deep in Rawlins, all in ruins now, after attack by vhat all signs now point to were Kal'Vargen - demon kind gobbalins. I kan take you there, if kan spare time for long trek."

• ((Salsa, I was able to cut and paste your map from quoting the message and got the spaces the right way. Possible to send me a legend of what letters look like what symbols?))

"Hmm, fruit trees… Aye, that's probably what that means. I can't think of any cherry trees off the top of my head, perhaps if I give myself some time to think about it."

She ponders a bit, while taking a long sip of ale. "Where about did Grahk's tribe live?"

• Dwin swallows the last of his first ale and wipes his mouth with the back of his sleeve.

The trick with these kinda maps is to get a reference point and work backwards, or forwards from there.

he squints at the map again looking at the different symbols

The other trick is ta think like a greenskin. These things here… the crossed-lines with the little dots? I'm bettin those are trees... fruit trees.

stepping back he stares at the map We got some cherry trees out in the Rawlins, aye? Tindra... you probably have a better idea where any fruit trees are than anyone...

And this here... someone said these words mean "slippy rocks" in Green-tongue... Slippy rocks... any thoughts? When I hear that I immediately think of that area north of the Romani where a misplaced boot on those slick rocks will make ya fall into the Ogre caves. Seems a bit odd that the greenskin would be referencing tha area, so maybe theres something closer to home.

The crown with the hook... could that be some kinda... sceptre or other kingly-item? I'm thinkin that's the final destination on the map, so we need to find one of these others first.

Whaddya say we go catch ourselves a local greenskin and see what he thinks? We wont show him the whole map, just the different symbols...

• Tindra looks over the map for a few minutes, spinning it to a different direction every so often until she returns it to it's original position. She rubs her head and reaches for a bottle of ale while muttering some obscenity in Elvish.

Before she opens her bottle of ale, she notices it's dwarven ale and puts it back, grabbing a decidedly weaker human brew. "Let's keep the mind functioning for now."

((Salsa, any chance you could make a image file of said map?))

• Ragnhild's eyes glaze over as she stares blankly at the map, then she follows Dwin's example and reaches for her ales.

• ((jams an icepick in his ear to make the pain stop))