How Not To Die Horribly: A Guide For New Characters

• Legion

My hide and MS is up to thirty and I can usually cruise past most critters with no problems. Every now and then however, one will spot me.

I have double checked to make sure nothing on me is glowing, and I always try to stay away from light sources. The ones that usually spot me are almost always the little guys - the Kobold runt or the goblin shortie. So unless these guys have more than 10 ranks in spot or listem there is either a glitch or monsters do get a crit on a 20 for skill rolls.

• @deb7a56854=Teringer:

To second the above opinions with a clincher, even if you're a rogue with a ridiculous amount of hide and ms, it only takes that single 20 to spot your ass and then come and kill you. Invis, haste, or (if you can find them) expeditious retreat.

Not true, there are not crits on skills. If things sometimes see you check you have no light sources whatsoever, and if you're sure you don't then it was some kind of glitch.

• To second the above opinions with a clincher, even if you're a rogue with a ridiculous amount of hide and ms, it only takes that single 20 to spot your ass and then come and kill you. Invis, haste, or (if you can find them) expeditious retreat.

• As has been said, but cannot be stressed enough.

After healing potions, invisibility potions are probably the best investment you can make to save your bacon in a pinch (if you're outmatched, invisibility is even better than healing).

A close second would be haste potions (Edit: They are actually called "Potions of Speed") - carry several of both and have them quick-keyed.

Both have saved my character's skin more times than I can count and are worth every penny.

Z

P.S. Once you've got them, use them. Because they are somewhat expensive, some people are afraid to use them and wait until the last possible second - sometimes that's too late. It will take you a lot longer to get back your lost level than it will to earn 300 gold for a haste potion - I guarantee it.

• totally agree… oh and carry an invis potions or 4 always.

Anyone mind if I sticky this?

• A few more items for the above list, spurred by recent events:

1. Do not assume that just because an area is normally an X level area that only X level things will ever spawn there. Once in a while, something tougher than X level PCs can deal with will show up. Be aware of your surroundings, and be prepared to run early.

2. "Never Go Out Alone, Ever" includes traveling alone to meet up with other people across hostile maps. If you must, pay close attention to where you are and to your surroundings. Always have an escape plan.

3. Faced with certain death, run. Even if something is faster than you, it will get fewer attacks on you while you are running from it than it would if you were standing and fighting it - and while it will have a better chance of hitting if you are running than if you stand and fight, if you are going to die by standing and fighting, running at least gives you a possibility of escape if you survive a transition.

• Bumping this for our new players.

• No point to be a power gamer and try to race for xp and other crap you can't go far unless you've earned your c token anyways… and its better to stick with friends anyways... UNLESS you wantt o move to fug land hey PARTY IN FUGE LAND lets all get killed and just live there for now on... 🙂

• as a newbie i have to say the info is really helpful

• I'll add one.

Don't accept candy from strangers, espicially small ones with large feet.

• I'll add one to thise thread.

INVISABLITY POTIONS!! most usefull thing in the game

• Unfortunately they'll have to register for the forums to view this page.

• Simply beautiful.
    I shrunk the url to this page to http://www.tiny.cc/narf and am going to use that to prepare the newbies/lowbies I'm going to take on a tour. Thanks_!_
    🙂