A public flogging.

• Early one morning Lucius leads a squad of Jandor's Guard into the shop of the local armor dealer. A loud crashing and the sounds of brawling is quickly silenced and the dealer is lead in manacles to the well in the center of town.

The guards take up positions around and facing outward, as the bruised dwarf is chained to an iron ring fastened to the base of the well. While a small crowd gathers with looks of curiosity and some aprehension, Lucius unrolls a scroll secreted in his sleeve and begins to read in a loud voice.

"Let it be known, as has been so for two years, a state of non-agression exists between the peoples of Norwick and their holdings, and the Eastlanders of the Nars Pass. All citizens of Norwick are reminded that individuals identified as Eastlanders are allowed free access to the town, so long as they acknowledge our sovereignty, follow our laws, and preserve the peace.

Likewise, citizens of Norwick are granted free right of passage to all destinations within the Nars Pass save the closed environs of the Eastlander's valley. Their right to defend themselves against citizens of Norwick who travel with known murderers of the Eastlander people shall not be disputed.

Individuals conspiring to break this peace, either by direct action or by inaction in the face of ignoble deeds by companions, shall be addressed by the aggreived parties."

The dwarf sways on his feet as the chains rattle, bringing the Guard Commander's attention back to current matters.

"Let is be known that this individual has been found guilty of conspiring in the ruination of this treaty, the charge of purchasing goods removed from the corpses of dead Eastlanders, obstructing the inquisition to identify the individuals who sold him said items, and with defiance of Jandor's rightful law."

With that Lucius draws out a long, thin rod, and with an expression of distate, nods to the dwarf almost as if asking for absolution.

He then beats the dwarf mercilessly, until his arms, colarbone and half his ribs are visibly broken, his skin deep purple and split from the swelling of injury and repeated strikes of the blood-slicked baton.

When the sound of whimpering becomes but a whisper, Lucius stops, reaches down and uncuffs the manacles. Those close enough to hear a whisper register him speak into the broken form's ear "Your debt is repaid. Another incident, and your wife will join you at the knout, and then your head will be sent to the Eastlanders, that they know we respect what was so hard-earned."

He then motions the guards to lift him as gently as possibly in a spread out cloak and carry him to the Friar's to tend his wounds. The snow around the base of the well is crushed flat and saturated with now-congealed blood. As quickly as it began, he marches back to Jandor's hall and is not seen the rest of the day.

((PS: Please don't sell Eastlander armor or weapons in Norwick. No merchant there in their right mind will purchase them, and if there was an easy way to automate it, they wouldn't even offer to purchase 'em. Sell them in the other towns that don't have a treaty with teh Eastlanders. Thanks. šŸ˜‰ ))

• Foilir looks around the crowd, looking for anyone that may be dragging a pack with Bandit wares. *

<d>Dat who deserve deh flogginā€¦ Dumb farkers runnin dis town now.. Dey sees sumun breakin a law, dey flog der neighbor an nae deh feller dat did deh law breakin.

• with that he spits and folds his arms, keeping an eye for former bandit armor coming in the gates. *</d>

• :: A small man with brilliant red curls laughs and rubs his arse ::

"I don't reckon dwarves are new to wanton brutalityā€¦" he mutters "seems like a bunch o' them like threatenin' good people for doin' what's right. Bullies is what they areā€¦" he laughs "ā€¦and we all know bullies get what's comin' to them."

• Virus walks out of no were could be from under a rock who knows she watches the beating and does her evil chuckle licking her lips watching then disapears as strangle as she apeared

• Passing through on his way to the rawlinswood, now that going around norwick is somewhat more difficult, Oreth notices the dwarven outrage at the discipline, and laughs softly, remarking to no one in particular as he passes the south firesā€¦

You want to see injustice and brutality in the name of law? Go to Luskan for the carnival. This is nothing. The alphas here in norwick made their policy clear, and have been moderate in their punishments. If certain people don't want to be subject to norwick's laws, then perhaps they should leave. I've been known to recommend it to norwickians in the past. Nothing holds them within these walls, and time outside them would only serve to widen their experience and change their perspective.

I know if I were Jandor, if this were my territory, and I had a group of thugs of any race telling me that any attempts to punish them for their crimes would be met with violenceā€¦I'd have every single one kicked out the gates, just to be safe.

He shakes his head as he walks out the gates

That would be a shame though. So many good dwarves about, for all of them to get blacklisted because a couple of loud-mouthed ones couldn't keep their thoughtless cries of persecution and racial revenge in checkā€¦

The young man tuts softly as he moves away from the gates. The sounds of cracking bones can be heard, and a large wolf pads off into the forest

• Following the beating, Keira revises her standard recitation of the basic laws of Norwick.

"Don't bear weapons.
    Don't steal or kill within sight of the walls.
    Don't sell things stolen from the Eastlanders"

The astute will notice this does not mention dwarves as particular transgressors, nor does it make reference to the great hin persecutions of Foilir Dolvak under his tenure as a militiaman. It only mentions the laws.

• I'm glad I moved the Union's cache to Jiyyd. I'd sure hate to see it burn or be pissed on with the rest of this dunghole.

looks at Foilir and winks, then his face grows serious

Any more harmin' kin in this town an there's gonna be a problem. A big un.

• A brooding, shadowy figure observes the beating from atop the hill on which Spellweaver Keep is located. As it overhears bits and pieces of Lucius's harangue in the distance, the figure clenches a fist in ill-concealed rage, its upper lip quivering spasmodically. The thirst for retribution subsides almost as quickly as it came, and the figure retreats into the cold solace of its stony citadel, for purposes unknown.

• Cadoc arrives from the north with his mighty alekeg on his back. He sees Tagnar and hurries along the road to greet his old friend.
    He reads the note quickly after learning what has happened and decides to write a note himself.

He writes something down quickly and attaches the note to the gate with a pickaxe that belonged to Tagnar.
    Cad mumbles unders his breath while he looks at Tag.
    "We'll burn down tha town n make those frigging dwarf haters live in tha caves with tha bloody Atol n his smelly gang. A bet Jirka cin wait n little longer with marrige"

Cad glances to the note for a sec before he heads off with Tag.

Mess with da dwarves n ya mess with Da Dwarf! An axe has been quickly drawn next to the text

• Hanadros passes by as the beating is occuring on his way to the graveyard. He watches for a moment to ensure the dwarf isn't slain during the beating, then simply walks off; apparently unconcerned.

• Having spent years in exploration with a group of hardy dwarfs far in the north in search of the rumored HillsHeart, Tagnar returns to the region to resupply and pass on news of his foundings. Whilst in an inn enjoying the time off, he hears a rumor from one of his kin of the incident taking place.

Once resupplied and ready to head back into mountain wilds he makes a visit down to norwick. Taking a note from his pack he hammers it into the gate with a dagger in clear view of any guard standing by. Without a word he storms off grumpy back northwards to meet his companions and return to the mountains.

If word comes to north of ya touchin hair on head of kins wife, we will farkin burn ya bunch o useless pile o schite mud huts down to ground an ta hell with any consciquences. Bastard.
    No better an farkin bastard bandits ya be teamin with. Farkin maggot. Hope ya skulls gets crushed in Bahgtruses buttocks.

• Between gathered a man in hood and black cloack hac been seen. on his back is shining huge srange sword. He seems to be watching this scene without emotions. feew minutes later he is gone from around the weel. Did he realy was there or was it just imagination of feew people around the well."

ā€“-----------
    When someno teel you once that you are donkey - ignore it
    , when you hear it for the seconfd time, thod about it,
    After third time go to vet.
    šŸ˜„

• Kell Whimpers and covers her head and ears with her paws as the Dwarf cries out in pain then plods over to Maya and the boy hidding behind them

Cike shakes his head gritting his teeth as the Dwarf is beaten, He watches Kell plod over to Maya and joins her side turning his eyes away from the beating

"Ah these are the laws and actions of "Civilized" men? I have much to learn of "Civil" ways but I think I like not this part"

he shakes his head again and pats Kell reasuringly

• "Bah, there is no farking honor in a whipping. You beat another dwarf while tied up and unarmed and Ill clear the farking Nars myself."

spits

"Fark it, that whippin was worth about 20 bandits or so"

laughs and walks off

• ::Nathen Wingates watches the display with a blunt expression. After the dwarf's severe beating he walks over to him and helps him stand, patting him off and handing him a warm drink::

"Don't worry about it, you give the eastlanders what they have coming, they deserve no less ā€“ Just don't go bragging about it or selling there junk in Norwick."

• Branwen is visibly horrified by the beating the dwarf receives. When it is done, she sets to tending the lad's wounds with all of her healing magicks and medicines.

• Overhearing the story Foilir snears with obvious disgust.*

" <d>Deh only decision eer is who's head teh deliver teh who"

• Looks between Maya and Lucius *</d>

• Maya stands away, arms folded, a stoic expression on her face. A young warrior, more than a boy, not yet a man comes up to her. ā€œMaya, is this necessary?ā€

Maya looks down at him, a sad expression on her face. ā€œWhen was with Griffon Tribe long time ago, chief make treaty with tribe of Red Tiger because fight too much and need make fight with Orc. Man not like though, and ambush Red Tiger hunter and kill because he kill brother in last raidā€

ā€œWhat happened?ā€, asked the young warrior?

ā€œChief deliver his head back with weapon and all family belongings as apology to hunterā€™s family in Red Tiger tribeā€

• Keira licks her lips slightly, watching the beating. She nods slowly with approval watching the blows fall and a faint smile graces her lips as Lucius whispers to the beaten dwarf

• Rolert watches anger pumping through him (D) "No farkin reason ter do thisā€¦...", as he looks around for his kin he gives the nod like "This is why I follow Rando"