( OOC ) A game of sorts, the mysterious Hin

• For those that want to play:

Many have now met my Quiet Nameless Hin Charicter.
    Reply here with anything interesting you learn about this secretive soul. Cool points go to the person who comes up with something new and/or unusual. I will edit this post with things I can confirm to be factual.

This can be treated IC like the grapevine or rumormill about her.

Wonders idly if the entire list of names from his IG Journal can be produced by the readers…

Named Grandlin by Grivel( revealed by Kara_Tyr )
    Named Sna'y ( Snowy ) by Dram( revealed by tric )
    Named Sweetzy by Cotton Blake( revealed by Cotton )
    Named Thumb by Oil( revealed by Drunken_Gun )
    Named 1265-3 by the Peltarch Prison System( revealed by BrianJ )
    Named Verae'ahel (The Peaceful Whisper of Sadness) by She'Avel( revealed by Fragile Vessel )
    Named Peace by Lilith ( revealed by eladrial skeksis )
    Named Pohka by Aniel ( revealed by feltch )
    Birth Name Unrevealed
    Student Name Unrevealed

Master Name Undetermined

• As you wish.

There are more ways to mastery of the self than skill at arms.

The game just didn't seem to be any fun any more because no one seemed to want to play.

• You better post a story for me to read about how it came to be. 😉

Oh, and the game isn't fully over, methinks. We still have her Birth and Student names to reveal. :ninja:

• Or not.

Game over folks, the Hin has a name now. That name is Still Water.

• Oh! this post still exists!

Let the fun resume!

• Thanks Aniel.

I regret to inform everyone that my in game journal list seems to have been lost. If you gave me a name and it isn't curently revealed, please PM me?

• Aniel's eyes flew open and she screamed. The sound eched through the small Gali Cabin, and echoed through her mind, like a siren call to her long buried memories.

For two days now she had been drowning in periodic waves of agony, as she stubbornly refused to allow her birth to occur. But with all her will bent towards the innevitability of the birth, the memories rose up and engulfed her.
    Visions of flame and death as she revisited her childhood and the destruction of her woodland home, the shades of her family licked by taunting, laughing flame and greenskinned death, and falling, only to be sucked up by the earth and spat out onto a dismal dock, in a nameless city. Grinning, leering, stinking males pawing her, touching her, as she strained against her bonds, growling savagely. Brutal beatings, the acrid smell of burning flesh and the nerve squeezing pain of the ink. The leering cruel visage of her Hin captor…

... A hin looking down on her. The pain unbearable, as her body convulses with the force of the contractions. Aniel screams abuse at the hin, pleading for her sisers. Blurred images of half recognized faces surround her, pleading for her to push, squeeze... The hin whispering, all the time whispering and yet her voice resounding in Aniel's mind like the boom of thunder. Small spears of ice pierce Aniel's skin and she can no longer feel her limbs. Sobbing, calling out for Cotton and Lillith, not knowing if they're really there or if its another hallucination. The hin's face looming over her, calmly injecting her with numbness. Whispering and gabbering about pain, as if she couldnt already feel enough....

... Sweet, sweet release. Smiling.... a blood taste... coldness... the promise of no more pain. Just let go and drift off into nothingness... let go ... stop...

Aniel blinks and shivers. The pain has subsided, but she lives. A smiling priest and the gentle peaceful face of a hin look down on her. Smiling at the hin in thanks, she asks for Cotton to bring her a blanket and help her to a pallet to rest. Almost immediately she drops into the trance-like state that is elven 'sleep'. She mumbles deliriously as she drifts off, only one word clearly audible.... Pohka.

• Sleeps the sleep of one unburdened with the multitude of sins accumulated by the expedient

((Thanks))

• lith sits watching a slight form departing to get soem much neede slumber.
    "goodnight Peace"
    she thinks back over the conversations she has had with the mysterious and devout hin girl.
    " i think i begin to understand now. you have found a peace few of us will ever find, a strength of faith even fewer have. "
    " Rain pattering down on the barrel you sleep in? Such simple things give you joy? oh how i wish my life would grow as peaceful as yours, Peace. Sleep well."

• The Quiet Hin listens from the back of the crowd, having approached unheard, and sits listening to the tales about her with a blush on her face so bright as to make her look sunburned…

• Sitting by the fire one night between his trade missions Dram is approached by Allia, who sits by his side quietly for a few moments before speaking. She gladly accepts one of Horgans wine bottles from the red clad Hin who is humming happily to himself in a mild stupor.

What do you know of the nameless Hin Dram the explorer? she asks candidly. I understand it was you who took her oath.

Ayup? Ya mean Sna'y?, Dram replies with a loud belch.

Snowy? The Hin with the quiet voice… Allia speaks but stops as Dram rolls on in his fast paced speach.

Ayups. tha be Sna'y. All us uva's be in ya face like…well, least i is...n i dun 'ear er oaf like...rekon she be a goodun that un. Dun say it wif right wordin like she were proud ta be sayin tha stuff like. dinna be finkin she be na stikin ta it.

i tells ya ow she be cumin ere then.

Allia smiles knowing Dram likes to ramble and expects some great elaborations in his tale.

_It were a dark n stormy night wen i met er dan in narwick like. Giant owls ad stald the souf gates o tha tan, as theys dus on cassion. rekon they be usin em fa thar nests or sumit. She were sittin up on tha archa towa, watchin folks.

na i's aways a one fa conversation wen thar coul be chink involved n tallies, na offence, bu in tha tans they int aways right nice ta us Hinfolk like.
    Sa i gaas up ta this Hin lass n be offerin sum o me wares like…n she be all quiet whisperin like thar were secret bussiness ta be ad like...na i be finkin secrets is profitable ifn theys eard by tha right ears like...sa we be gittin ta talkin...cors she be poor like mos tannies recent. Daft fekas._

He takes another long soothing slug of his wine and grins.

_When i figure she int ga any chink ta be buyin i be sighin like n figure i jus ave a chat. Sa i be tellin er me name..all me titles right n propper like…n she be tellin me she int ga a name...na a name? i be sayin...i be finkin she be a nutta like sa many folks i kna...na a bad un tha sa i be wondrin wot tha deal be...

All o a sudden thar be a uge mass o fings cummin a runnin n gnashin thar teef n swinging swords like wif big claws n spiky bits...all tha tallies dun run off, cept me n Sna'y n a orc born...Ruk or sumit...good fella...like im...tryin ta git im ta cum live ere...good fella._

Allia grins, so what happened?

Well we ga in fa tha biff like…killin Trolls n Ogres left n right o us...bu tha Hin lass int usin a sword...i be finkin she be right poor cos shes jus kickin n punchin n bitin n she dun it right good. He grins broadly, Na a one ta git mad at ya like. He gives a wink knowing a few of the other camp dwellers have moved in to hear a tale.

_When we's dun i be turnin ta er n sayin, jus of tha top o me ead like, ows abaat yas cum live wif us up in tha camp Sna'y.

"Snaer" she be sayin gisn me a look like lossa folks dus wen theys na folla me tongue…e'en tha i speak plain enough like...Ayups i be sayin, Sna'y ..cos o ya air like..it be all wite like tha sna...then she be noddin sayin sumit baat avin names from all sorts n sumit odd baat er teacha gisn er a name wot she na be usin na cos she na be sumit or uva n stuff like..._

Allia chuckles, she's been named often. She'll soon have more names than you. Laughter erupts around the fires as it is well known how dram adds to his name like leaves grow on trees.

Mebe i ave ta be keepin up wif er then, Dram chuckles.

_Ayups like, she be cumin wif us ta camp then…we fought frew all sorts ta git ere, she kickin n bitin n breakin trolls inta bits wif er fingas, n me pokin em wif me arras...then we's ere.

n i tells yas she were right serious wen i dun tell er tha oaf...she dun be sayin it all proppa like it were a spell or sumit...rekon she be avin bit o mystical baat er like...bu then we Hin is a 'ighly magical bunch o folks like...i speak wif tha rocks ya kna...gnomes dun tell me ow..._

Someone chuckles in the background and calls out, but they don't speak with you..i seen you standing for an hour waiting at a rock gibbering at it before walking off…

Dram scowls momentarily before breaking into a wide grin, ayups.

Then thars tha time i seen Sna'y battlin a giant rabid squirell, twice er size it were…..........

The tall tales continue from the pint sized explorer, truth freely mixing with the fantastical, as everyone listening knows, but the ridiculous and extravagant brings smiles to the faces of the listeners, and more than afew wonder just how much of the stories are built up. The quiet Hin recieves afew more respectful nods from the younger Romni for all Dram's tales have elements of truth in them.

• Sorry if this is a bit of spam, but I gotta hand it to yas all, it's a pleasure reading through these stories 🙂

Now if only the books I had to read for english was this interesting ….

• You forgot the "Mwa ha ha ha!"

• Beautiful song.

And Bri, expect a new name soon, very soon. 😎

• smiles quietly and runs off to tell her friends about her new song

• Alejandra walked into the square in Peltarch. It was quiet, except for the hin to the north and one other traveller. Alejandra walked towards them, hoping to sing a song for them in an effort to make a small amount of gold, buying her supplies she could ration. It didn't work out quite as she thought it might.

The small hin approached her, offering meager supplies in her quiet voice. Having turned her down several times, Alejandra felt bad doing so again. Food for the evening was purchased, satisfying the quiet little one. During this trade, the other man in the square took his leave.

Alejandra had seen her many times, and decided to inquire after her purpose selling rations in the square and praying with her beads.

"My prayers do not coincide with my business," the hin answered, "I pray because I wish to, and I sell what I do to satisfy my new family."

"Your -new- family?" Alejandra asked. "What has happened that they are new? Is it by blood, or by interest?"

"Interest, I suppose" the hin answered, "though their only common interest is in singing at the end of the day. Perhaps… perhaps if I could sing, I would find my name."

This didn't make sense to Alejandra, and she said so. The hin explained that in her order one gives up their name upon joining, and only find their new one when it was meant for them to do so.

"Well," Alejandra said, "I believe that when one sings, their soul is pure and beautiful."

"I don't know," the hin answered timidly, "I have heard dwarves sing before." Alejandra could not help but laugh at the comment.

"But do they not seem happy?" She asked. The hin nodded that they did. Alejandra smiled. "Then you see. I think it makes them beautiful."

"Perhaps I could teach you a song?" Alejandra asked hopefully. To her surprise, the hin agreed, though they had to wait a while for the newcomers to the square to leave.

Alejandra played a gentle, loving tune, and the hin listened. Blushing at the song, the hin told Alejandra of the vows she swore. Alejandra smiled to her.

"My friend, I think that when you find love, you will not need any more than your words to uphold it." The small woman smiled, but unsure.

Alejandra played the soft tune on her guitar, humming as the hin did with her.

"You see? You've got it!" Alejandra exclaimed, "just be sure of yourself, and you will sing like an angel."

Just then, a stranger walked by, and the hin hid her face in her sleeves. Alejandra pulled her back out of them. "Do not worry about them. Sing for yourself."

Alejandra began to sing softly after a few verses of playing and humming, and to her surprise, the small woman began to sing with her!

Alejandra's voice grew, and after a while so did the hin's. The whole song was sung, and Alejandra laughed her muscial laugh.

"You see!? That was perfect!" The hin blushed, but seemed pleased with herself as well, for the first time Alejandra had ever seemed.

Hope and Love permeated the square.

The song our Quiet Nameless Hin learned

Dogs bark at the faceless man
    leaves fall from the tree
    there's just some things in this old world
    that happen naturally

oh there's something pure and simple
    about those stars above
    and it will be the same for me
    if I can find that natural kind of love

and look at how the morning sun
    always knows the time
    years have come and years have gone
    and seen it rise and shine

and I can see how love can be
    like the sun above
    it's gonna be that way for me
    if I can find
    if I can find
    that natural kind of love

the tune of the guitar fading softly with the voices joined in harmony...

• That was much appreciated.

• She'Avel approached the commons, setting down his staff and opening his book of prayers, hoping for a quiet day of contemplation. Setting his staff against the railing and opening the book, he began to read through the hymns and prayers to Corellon, occasionally whispering the prayers or quietly singing a hymn.

A wisp of a shadow came across his page, concealing some of the words. Looking up, the small form of a halfing had appeared behind his prayerbook. Whispering quietly, she offered several small items for sale. Closing his prayerbook, only slightly annoyed by the interruption, he looked at what she offered.

In need of provisions, She'Avel soon made his purchace of food from her stock. The quiet halfling bowed and slowly moved away, apparently praying by means of a necklace of beads. As She'Avel watched her depart, her robe slipped slightly at the shoulder, exposing the '-3' of a tatoo on her back. Recognizing it as the marking the Defenders of the city put on their prisoners, She'Avel invoked the name of the Father, amazed that they would do such to so small a creature.

He asked about their origin, she explained the circumstances of the markings. He became amazed at their actions, and angered. However, his amazement only continued when he saw how calmly she appeared to accept what had happend to her, how she went about selling items of aid to others to ease their suffering.

As he offered her the aid of Corellon should she be taken by the Defenders again, She'Avel quietly asked for her name, to pray for her before his Father.

"I have no name to give you," came the quiet reply.

Curious of this, he fell silent, wondering at the remark. The power in a name was significant to the the Children of Corellon, often defining their lives from their first moment to the last. That one could not have a name… the possibility had not crossed his mind.

And then he thought also how he himself had guarded his name in this land. How he had not given it to any but other Children or trusted allies of the Father. Yet there was a difference, for he had a name to give, though he was wary of sharing it.

As she walked away, She'avel whispered a quiet prayer to Corellon, and looking up to the stars, he perceived the will of the Father towards this small creature. "If you can give me no name, then I give you the name Verae'ahel (The Peaceful Whisper of Sadness), for you have suffered, and yet you live quietly, in peace and dignity with the lot given you. May Corellon stand guard over you, small one, in all your days."

• grin Thaks Cotton!

• Half dead and staggering out from the Spider Forest, Cotton leans her weight on Belenar for support, trying to make their way back to the Gypsy campfires to recover. All the friends wanted was to gather some Birch wood in order for her to craft a new walking staff, but the inhabitants of the forest didn’t appreciate their intrusion.

They had made their trek deep into the dark forest, fighting off giant spider after giant spider; this was nothing new to the skilled Ranger or her Dwarven mage companion. But what they didn’t foresee was the swarm of enraged spiders that would be waiting for them on the return trip.

The two had never witness such a mass of arachnids on that fateful trip back, spiders of all sizes dropping from the trees and crawling up out of the gorges. Deadly spells were being thrown as Cotton’s bow shot with rapid precision, dropping one as countless others arrived to take its place.

Belenar urged Cotton to run as she struggled to make any headway trying to flee along side the Dwarf. Suddenly every spider froze as the ground started to tremble from impact trimmers. Something huge was attracted to the conflict as it slowly made its way across the forest in search of the sounds that drew its attention.

It did not take long for the spiders to scurry a retreat from where they came, which gave the two companions time to escape with their lives. Belenar was the one who caught sight of the colossal beast as his old frame ran with speed of a much younger Dwarf.

The two managed to make way to the fires, an inch from death and barely able to walk from exhaustion and being ripped apart. Belenar with Cotton in arm gently set the elf next to the fire, staring down at her with helpless eyes. He quickly steeled himself and began surveying the camp, looking for anyone who could help. All he could think about was saving the poisoned friend and soon shuffled off in search of a healer.

Not long after his return with no luck finding any person of faith a small figure approached the fire. Her demeanor was calm and controlled, eye reflecting wisdom beyond her years. She took in the situation with lightning speed and knew exactly what had to be done. Quiet gently helped the dieing Cotton to her feet and took her within the camp’s inner cottage, laying her gently in front of the roaring fireplace.

Her visage calm and voice soft and controlled she coached Cotton through the procedure that soon followed. A box from her back was hastily removed as she heated it within the fire. A certain amount of time was calculated for this sterilization, the Hin seeming to know exactly when to remove it.

After it cooled Quiet began to measure precise points over Cotton’s body and head, slowly and perfectly sliding needles into her nerve centers. Using the ancient art of acupuncture from her years of training in the monastery.

At first Cotton was not to sure about being a pin cushion, but with Quiet’s soft tone and confident visage, she weakly accepted the treatment. Needles were placed along her cheeks and neck, one even being slid into the upper spine, causing the elf to go completely motionless.

Quiet finished the treatment by removing the needles and coaching Cotton of what to expect after she was done. Her own body was beating the poison as the needles had done their job by stimulating her immune system.

Cotton knew what she thought of this kind-hearted lady who helped her without a second thought or need for some monetary payment. Quiet went by no name, she told Cotton one would find her and in Cotton’s heart she already had the Hin named.

“Sweetzy”