Reemul contacts various members of the adventuring community.

• Hey all, I feel like time is short to do this but we really should spitball some ideas on how to handle this Rhodes situation before 30 seconds before contact......We have no idea of what kind of support we can expect or from who. No preconceived notion of a plan that's being worked out and prepared for. If we don't have some dialogue and plan, I won't be there, so uhh yeah let's communicate. I have several ideas of how to move at this stage, but none of them do I believe are able to pull off the bringing in of Rhodes at this stage without us having some better notions of what we have to work with and how to bring the situation to our advantage.

• "I likely do not need to do this, but I should remind everyone that despite Fim giving Rhodes free reign, we should be mindful of his interference. I doubt he will come to save her, but he likes stirring things up.

Be mindful of Rhodes' men singing unnerving songs or those who wear rusted rings."

• Cormac listens to George, taking all the Marine says as truth. He doesn't go quite so far as to outright ask where that information was at the start of all of this, but nonetheless nods to affirm his appreciation for the report

"...sounds like they've got enough bodies on their side. Tsk... I'm almost sorry I asked. But you're dead right when you say Rhodes is no idiot, we can count on that as well as her paranoia. Even if the Defenders want to stand far beyond the danger-zone... a distraction could still benefit us. Soldiers withdrawn from their main lines to look at and guard an empty hole in her wall that none of us will use are still soldiers we don't have to deal with immediately."

He looks at Gom, his chummy grin doing little to hide the unkind thoughts in his head.

"You'll probably get a medal for that one. Coming to the fight with no intention of committing? Well your men can beat a drum and sound their horns yrrhh? Make it at least 'sound' like they're coming? You know they can't ignore it, misdirection or no. The kegs go up, the walls go down - the gates fly open, see? Then from your camp or wherever you're positioned, all the sounds of a coming assault - cavalry horns, kettle-drums, hell - she was a Defender once wasn't she? Yell out orders to carry on the wind to her ear.

Meanwhile the assholes that've drawn the short straw in all this can go in through one breach or the other, or through the main gates - why the hell not after all - and push a stone over or whatever the hell".

• After Cormac and Reemul are done, George pulls up a report by his hand from a leather map and turns to Cormac as he glances over the page

"As to what we are facing... I can confirm her army having priests."

He clears his throat and quotes;

"I can confirm they had swordsmen and archers in great numbers. The rate appeared two sword to one bow. They seem regimented in their approach at first, with the archers generally divided into two groups and positioned on both flanks of and a few paces behind the line of swordsmen. As the line has a tendency to charge, the distance between our frontline and their archers is large enough to safely consider the use of fireballs.
    I encountered and slew three mages, marking their presence in three of five waves, in a rate of one per ten to one dozen troops. These make use of invisibility spells and acid sheaths to stay out of harm's way and liberally use magic missiles in their offence. Empowered to see invisibility, or acting quick enough to not let them turn invisible, they become relatively easy to deal with. One should carry acid protection.
    I encountered just one priest, though there may have been others. By the third wave, the bandits had purposefully started wildfires, and the smoke obscured much of the battlefield. I encountered this one in the fourth wave. This priest summoned a skeleton the size of a hill giant. I did not leave him time for more.
    They had horses riding in, but they did not use them as cavalry. This might be because they are not trained as such, but given the rocky ground and forest undergrowth, it seems more likely the terrain simply did not allow for proper use thereof. I would expect cavalry on the plains around Kront."

He puts the paper back in the map, considering his next words.

"Rhodes is no idiot. This was months ago. Her numbers and tactics may well have changed, but she seems to have access to all types of militant. The wildfires and horsemen were used quite successfully to drive us where she wanted us. Things to keep in mind for those faking the retreat."

• Ok, my final read on this then is a group with the skill set goes to the menhir and trys to to nullify or reduce that threat, a second group tries to breach the fort without a siege and take down Rhodes and secure the wand. Teleportation, shadow walk....im sure simple invisibility would be defeated by her mages to make entry. I suspect my mining abilities place me at the menhir. SO people we break into two groups and objectives?

• Gom remarks:

"Listen. If my mages are right, Rhodes has the region by the balls. People just don't know it yet. If she uses the darkflame on the menhir, we all burn and for good. So a direct military attack by Peltarch's army won't work. She's nuts enough to pull the trigger on that and burn us all if she gets any sense that she's going to lose."

"That means Peltarch's army doesn't have a vanguard good enough for the kind of delicate operation needed to take the Stronghold without her realizing what's going on until it's too late. But you. You're the ones who can actually do it. You're going to have to actually get into that stronghold and put an end to this threat. To the darkflame. To the menhir. To Rhodes."

"In other words: the army's just support here. My Defenders can handle the Nars. They can handle the overall woods. But the Stronghold? That's on you. And how you do it is up to you to figure out."

"But hey, I trust you. You're a smart bunch. I believe you can do it. Besides, if I'm wrong and you muck it up, no one will be left alive to tell me they told me so, right?"

The bald man smirks dryly.

DM Xanatos Gambit

• Standing hunched over the map with his hands planted firmly on the tabletop, he looks at Reemul.

"You have a horse if you want to ride in circles and play messenger. Hmph... if not you, then I'd bet cold hard coin on the Defenders having such a messenger system they'd employ. Hell, last time I worked an operation for them they had a speaking stone device; handy. As for being everywhere, that's for the prestigious names that are being sung to determine. We've got 'subordinate' Defenders as well as their commanders."

His steely grey eyes survey the Defenders' command.

"It'll be up to you to divide your men and position them. If we're playing the long game without murdering them into a panic and forcing Rhodes's hand to use her device we'll want to lock shields and hold a line at each breach point. Wither them with arrows or spells from behind; I don't know, just stand there and look intimidating till the strike team deals their killing blow. If all goes to plan it should be over quickly. If not, at least spreading her forces and ours over multiple points might make her hesitant in her use of the petrified dork of destiny or whatever the wand is called."

• Cormac, in the past the raiders have employed swordsmen, archers, scouts and somehow have a very skilled set of mages among them. I have not seen priests before, but that doesn't mean there are none. Some of their melee cadre is certainly skilled in striking from behind if I recall. As to the wand, on the spot if that wont be dangerous for all I care, my point is, I wont have an argument about its fate when the dust settles. You observations are valid, now, tell us how to be everywhere, pass messages in real time, gather proper current intelligence, get into their encampment and engage them in a fall back maneuver and coordinate it all at the same time? Thats what were here for, to figure out these details, good ideas will move up the line, bad ideas will be tossed in the bin. But Ideas is what this is all for. I think we have some solid ideas in the pipe, now how to tie em together and time them? And as has been stated this is a military operation so ultimately General Gom I would assume will make his plan and present it, at which time any of us not in the military can walk away if they think its a bad plan? but I think the flow of ideas gives us all some direction, lets just hope the best ideas are what forms the core we all work with.

• Cormac has by now grown irritable.

"Destroy it? On the spot or is it to be spirited away? And another thing -- what are we looking at exactly anyway? I've seen her troops carry bows, sword and board, and the occasional halberd. What about their spellcasters? Any priests among their number? Backstabbing cowards? How many of each? Has the cunning bitch set a joyous assortment of traps along the way?

If your 'plan' is to run in headlong through the front door and expect the best possible outcome it's no damn wonder the madwoman left your Defenders behind, she's outgrown you."

He glowers darkly around the room, a grim snarl peeling his blackened lips back.

"...bah! I didn't come here to shit on your ideas. They're all... very good... it's just -- look here."

He unfolds his arms and approaches the war-table with the map/model of the fort. He starts pointing at positions that have no gates, no entry points or exits - and imortantly, either fewer or no defensive towers/positions at all.

"....the feint attack is a good plan. But lets double down and let me or some other idiot plant some explosive barrels around here, here - and here. They'll be drawn to these spots. Rhoades will counter it quickly and divide her men with precision on the fly - but her force will still be split."

He looks around to ensure the others are following along, he marks the spots on the map and draws lines where he expects the Defenders to engage.

"From there it's 'our' job to be nimble, we have to appear to be everywhere, give her no opportunity to move men from one point to another. The Defenders should take care of that in force. It'll be up to us to find a way in from there while her soldiers are distracted, while she herself is working up to her own realization that the real threat isn't the men at the breach but the team that should by then already be in her encampment. If we can find a way in that isn't as obvious as the front door or holes we've blasted in her walls, all to the better.

We'll divide and then conquer. If we're quick enough she'll be drawn from her magic stones while the Ceruleans or - whoever the hell - takes care of those, and the rest of the group addresses her and whatever bodyguard she's retained. Stop planning like soldiers and start thinking like warriors."

• Good good, thanks Rey, clarity matters.

• After a further moments thought, she then adds.

"From the Cerulean standpoint, it would be my hope Jonni will command their participation, and as well as that secure the darkflame for disposal. Reemul is right, such a thing should be destroyed, I'm sure nobody here would disagree."

• Rey runs a hand through her hair.

"This is a Defender operation. The chain of command, from top to bottom, is Gom, Hresh, me, Keene, with our various subordinate officers following such as Janes and George."

• Good question Meadow, im a bit confused by Reys comment of giving Gom orders, so some clarity would be appreciated. Once I know that, and the plan is defined, I will do what is asked of me. Oh, a side note, if somehow this wand is secured, where will it end up, im really not interested in seeing it in anyone's hand's. Destroyed or locked down somehow I would be pleased to see. Provided we have favorable outcome.

• Meadow pipes up again

So who is ultimately in charge of this operation? What's the chain of command?

• Defender General Gom remarks, before sitting back and listening to more of the planning:

"Alright.

• A preemptive strike on Rhodes' stronghold is the plan. How we go about it is flexible. I like the ideas I'm hearing here about cutting off supply routes, staging a fake retreat, while sending a subtle vanguard in to attack and neutralize the menhir.

• Moving the menhir is not an option. The menhirs are lodged into the ground, and this one is apparently wrapped in that weird red metal. The 'myrkandite.'

• This menhir and myrkandite together connect to leylines beneath Narfell. If Rhodes uses the scrap of Abyssal darkflame wand she has on it, that's bad news for everyone.

• I understand based on what your arcanists are telling me, and this has been confirmed by the Ceruleans, that if we remove the myrkandite from the menhir, the danger of Rhodes using the menhir and leylines to set the countryside on fire drops. A lot. So it would be great if you miners and spellcasters can do that.

• In terms of security, based on what Jorino is saying, I understand that Arch Weyland is someone who can actually, maybe manipulate or deflect the darkflame. That said, I don't trust the guy. No one trusts the guy. This was one of Smoke's former allies. He killed the Magistrate during Smoke's insurrection for crying out loud. I don't know why this guy's allowed to even walk around the way he does. But people insist on bringing him along. Fine. Though he's going to be detained during the operation, and under constant supervision by defenders picked by me. And the Magistrate, provided you're willing. They will have permission to kill him the moment there is any sign whatsoever that he is going to betray the operation.

• On the Kront mercenaries: they aren't getting a red copper from us. If they want to help, fine, but as soon as they step out of line, it's over for them."

DM Xanatos Gambit

• Disgruntled with the talk of Mia Gander and her people, Reyhenna ultimately waves a hand in concession.

"Fine. I'll coordinate with anyone who wants Rhodes dead, but as Morgan says they certainly won't be getting a copper, and if they don't piss right off back to Kront with their liberated people afterwards they'll regret it.

Speaking of setting expectations, everyone here should also be under no illusions that this is a Defender operation and when we're in the field I expect nobody to engage in any unannounced departures from the plan without it going through command, that being Hresh, Keene, me or Gom. I've fought with most of you hundreds of times, in situations as trying or more, so I am not worried. Just making sure we're all clear on properly communicating everything not just before, but during what promises to be a complex engagement."

• George looks from Isolde to Morgan.

"She's not wrong. Mia Gander and her lot... That's the Kront mercenaries... have been nothing but honourable and professional. Even refused to fight several times because Gander gave them strict orders not to. Never let them set foot on Narfell soil, as far as I'm aware. They think us all crazy and keep away from things that happen 'out in the Nars'.

I tried to get in touch with her when we first found that ring with the whispering winds spell on it, tell her Fim's playing the lot of us, but I couldn't reach her. If she's figured that out on her own, all the better. If not, she at least knows Rhodes for what she is. She'll want the chance at payback, I'm sure.

I should add, however, that the brass wasn't happy at the suggestion of working with anyone associated with Fim. Not sure if anything has changed in that regard."

• After another brief pause, Isolde adds:

"Rhodes' pattern's obvious from earlier encounters, such as Frobrook. She had the original villagers slaughtered, ushered in a fresh set and when their cover was blown, went about trying to murder them as well. She'll for sure use the slaves she's taken in the same way, callously killing those she cannot use or holding them hostage to try and stop our hand. That's part of why I think we need to turn as many as we can on the inside, including those more mercenary minded who might consider the Kront lot as the preferable option. If we have any way of preventing this turning into a bloodbath, I strongly urge we take it. Innocent people's lives are at stake, not just from the doomsday weapon itself but those Rhodes captured."

• Isolde turns to Morgan, the out-stretched finger bobbing as though in a nod:

"Rey felt the same way, which is why the deal's not done yet. But let me point out, and George might even back me up on it - 'bandits' is a misleading label. We already know they're not unified with the forces Rhodes leads, in fact they were kept wholly in the dark on that by Fim. They also have a good reputation around Kront and are in fact quite popular with the general populace. Sure, they're performing a service for coin, but that's why I used the word mercenaries, it's a better fit by far. They don't go around extorting people in order to pay for protection, nor do they rob or waylay travellers. I actually think they'd help out in order to free what they consider 'their' people, without being payed by us. I could be wrong, but we won't know if we don't get as far as to ask."

• "Will they ask direct payment? More likely they just want Rhodes out of their hair. What we should be mindful of is ensuring they do not take over Rhodes' setup after we've dealt with her.

Having the Kronties deliver a separate strike would be good. Especially if they strike somewhere vital to Rhodes' operation but far enough that it does not look like we're working together. If it looks like it's just bandit opportunism, she will be less inclined to think her plans are lost. Just a bunch of small fires to put out, not an inferno.
    As Isolde suggested, them freeing a deal of her slaves would be preferable. If they go after the towns providing Rhodes' resources first, that will accomplish at least part of Rey's plan as well.
    Keeping in mind that those people freed might join Kront's bandits permanently.

Having Sylvia would be a great help. She can direct the growth of vegetation? If we do decide to try and lure her forces in the open, she might be able to help us hide the size of our own force. Or have thickets grow to force the enemy along certain paths.
    Now, if she can breach those walls, she would be an even greater help. If she can handle only one, I would have her do that. If nothing else, she might help camouflage those approaching the stronghold."