Ravos Calchais' public rumours and opinions

• :: Ravos, Kings Council advisor to Guard General Velhar, has been seen not quite as busy as late, following the most recent council meeting. Some clerks may have observed he wasn't that best pleased with the outcome, hearing of his disappointment that certain public observers seemed displeased with the outcome, but he doesn't speak of the proceedings:: He simply states "Minutes and public notices and decisions of the council are the the domain of the decision of the regent, and the clerks that attend the council".

:: In his time away from the paperwork and his presentation on behalf of those petitions whom he considered right and proper for the people he's been seen in the residential district, quite often consulting with those there on the recent published lease proposals. He's also been seen entering Violetta's shop more than once in recent days, with folk speculating as to why ::

"Perhaps he's payin' 'er a visit with some hot kaffe from Blackbridge", a guard jokes to a passing market trader. "Nah, he's just outfitting something other than his armour surely, it does rather catch the sun in these times, or trying to find an outlet for those fancy shoes and his cobbler business investment "

:: What is certain is that he seems to have turned down a few mercenary or adventurous forays into various dangerous regions :: He simply remarks "When it's my duty to rid some region of some threat, i shall act but i'm attempting to focus some will to all matters within and without of the city, to enemies seen and unseen, be that enemies of commerce, the diseases that assail our young or the proper expenditure of the city funds for good law and respect for the hard working people of the city"

• :: Ravos Calchais, Kings Council advisor to the Guard General has been seen in recent days with a draft of a rather large volume with amendments, and notes pinned to it in various places, he doesn't speak much of it, only saying "it's a work in progress" ::

"Yes i've been going over the minutes of the last public meetings in the Jewel," :: he's heard speaking to clerks and herald Thaddeus, ::
    "No i don't quite know how much money there is to spend from the city's perspective, i just like to see the right and proper thing done for the law abiding folk of Peltarch, nothing more nothing less. And that the guard and defenders do their duty as they pledged in their oaths."

"All i know is i've seen a few things written up from the previous public petitions, and i hope the council can make some rapid decision quickly as i suspect there will be a lot of petitioners".

:: Ravos makes occasional conversation with the guard sergeants, and officers, and is seen equally in drinkiong establishments in the docks as well as frequenting the markets daily. He makes similar conversation whether he is in the maid, the mermaid or the bathhouse ::

"Personally folk coming with ways of saving coin, respect and upholding of the law, increasing prosperity and trade that benefits all, are the things i want to see, and less extraveagent projects, gestures and expenditures. While the potential for fraud, abuse and worship of vile things still exists, i won't rest until the wishes and the general lot of the city's hard working tradespeople, visitors and yes even nobles concerned for their continuity and stability of the city - remain unresolved."

"Time for a little less personal glory and instead turn to the success of the city, instead of outside influences"

• :: Ravos was seen leaving the latest lengthy council meeting, and was seen sitting in the place of Guard General Velhar. He appeared slightly weary but with a pleased expression on his face, clearly enjoying the experience ::

"E's got some fancy shoes now at least," says one visitor to the market. "I wonder who made those, thems say he donated the leather from some exotic animal or paid for all their tools or something"

"Seems like everyone is going in and out of the council chambers thesedays, seafarers, the master of coin as well as those close to the previous royals, as well as the Queen herself", remarks a barkeep serving drinks in a nice corner of the Mermaid. "I don't know how he came to be speaking to those lot, but he seems to work as hard as the traders he speaks up for so much. Perhaps i should see if they want drinks serving in there... seems like everyone gets to go in and get involved thesedays..."

"Ah public petitions to the council soon aye.... that'll be good, says one defender we needs better 'ealin supplies funding our patrols, thems no priests in the defenders te' speak of thems all in the blue-lot, and with one company increasin' in size, oi might 'ave to start readin' military regulations if i want te get on more than Sergeant...."

• :: Ravos was seen returning to the city carrying a large bundle of weapons as well as a sack of other loot, alongside Toisin, Vick and Nord ::
    "Fek knows where's e's been but the council business must be slow if he's got time to head out to who knows where, and like all 4 of them covered in blood that wasn't their own, but smelling of musty damp dog" said a guard scratching her head seeing the group dump their baggage near to the commons and divide up the spoils.
    :: Nord's characteristic virgin snow coloured armour was observed to be almost as crimson and deep red as Vick's outfit , whether it's from his blood or the blood of his enemies who can tell ::

"I'll be visiting thge bath-house -again- " Ravos was heard to remark after, though this time he wasn't seen attending accompanied by the princess, council members, military and other delightful women of the city, as he was in previous visits.

:: The trader's stalls wer piled high with ugly but well made weapons of the Gnolls for many days, before they managed to get rid of the stock, though the smell of the gnolls lingered for longer, probably the reason they paid so little for the weapons"

"And no i'm not a Paladin, " he was also heard remarking to Chea Allin, a cerulean knight in the commons recently "I clearly don't have a squire to clean all my own armour, i do that myself as i've always done. A bit of hard work never killed anyone".

• :: Ravos Calchais in recent days seems rather pleased with all matters Cerulean, visiting the Mystra shrine and speaking with city command structures about some of them to their credit ::

"Shesarai Foutopolis is truly the hardest working cerulean i've seen. To see this paragon of divinity head down into the mire and muck of the sewers to fight Azuth knows what down there, is truly beyond extraordinary. She's even mapped the place, and still hasn't received any compensation for it. I've even heard rumours that she hasn't been paid in 7 years." Ravos was seen exchanging words with the Herald to this effect, and a few clerks. "Perhaps then she'll find the time to promote that fine cerulean Leofric, truly a brave man to stand beside the General of High hold's forces, while being called a "Peltarch Spy". Truly a force for unity of the two strongholds and their inevitable loyalty to the King of Peltarch, his heirs and regents." "I do hope the city records Leofric's promotion quickly and the matter of her wages, - his promotion was ordered by the Regent directly ages ago, and i'd like to know who isn't performing their duties to the crown as speedily as possible."*

"Wot's wrong iv im, looks like someone's threatened to muddy his armour or somethin'" said one guard as Ravos emerged from city hall handing off a note to be delivered to Guard General Vel'har in recent days. Ravos was closed mouthed about it, simply stoically remarking that he did his duty, when asked if there was a tinge of sadness in his expression. "No idea wha' could be tha' matter, oh well perhaps he has to pay his ale tab or something" - said another guard, "He's only been hanging around with his usual associates. "Thems ceruleans, chae and that, a few dwarfs, that Barbarian woman from oop north, listenin' to tha' pale old elf and the usual council lot, thems lots be ok, i can't imagin' what's botherin' him"

:: Ravos goes back to his latest reading material on Azuthan Theology and the Origins of Magic, and closes the door of city hall behind him leaving at a late hour as usual back to his accomodation ::

• :: Ravos Calchais, Advisor to Guard General Velhar has been spending his evenings as well as most of his days in the company of council members and advisors, though more often ceruleans and the defenders in some of the areas in the mermaid that are quiet enough for conversation and debate ::

"I do like having some of these discussions in public, and why not indeed. I look forward to the next public session of the council meeting so that after the current matter at hand is resolved then the people will know precisely what their voices have decided upon - on behalf of their districts.", he's heard to remark.

:: With one hardworking man, the sweat and grime of his daily work still on his clothes coming to the "Royal Table" with princess Reyhenna in attendance, Ravos was seen to ask the staff of the mermaid to let him through to say his piece. The man's son Geoff was heard to be sick from the "spots" in the docks, and a cerulean, Shesarai Foutopolis stepped in to heal the boy ::
    "We need to be for the people not just of the people", Ravos was heard to say following the report of the fletcher and his son, and "By Oghma, lets ensure all those who have to complete paperwork can get assistance from the college as a priority in order to complete it the Herald and the clerks are i'm sure at their limit as it is".

:: Geoff's father, the fletrcher was heard to remark that the queues for healing in the lighthouse were incredibly long, and Ravos later said that "Well there is no temple in the commerce district, though there are plenty that seem to have little place in the docks established there" "Perhaps the commercially astute and plentiful businesses affiliated to deities, could expand to offer a clerical service to those that bring them wealth in the commerce district? ::

"no there aren't many in the commerce district who venerate, Azuth, Helm, Mystra or Savras as I do, but perhaps again the Bardic college could facilitate also, as they are in the commerce district. Oghma again would be useful for their reading and writing assistance always freely given at their own expense". "Perhaps a meeting between Scott Grimm and the Masters of the Bardic college is in order?" "Oh but wasn't there a meeting between a Waukeen priest and Scott Grimm only recently?"

:: Ravos puts an expecially large tome back into a small magic bag, and then heads back to city hall, this time taking no wine or ale with him claiming there are more important things than my own pleasure, namely the passions and hard work of the citizens of the city. ::

• :: Ravos has been seen in the company of a number of different advisors, voices of the people and other interested observers from the city as well as a number of clerks. In certain areas reserved for those within the inner circles of city hall ::

"It seems to me, remarks Ravos. That there isn't enough focus as to the efficiency, well being and above all respect given to the administrators, clerks, messengers and aides that serve the Jewel at the King's pleasure"
    "Due respect should be given to those who hold the high administrative offices of the kingdom, and the city, and i'm sure their duty of stewardship and care over their staff is second to none.
    " I know from my past, although partly military in nature full well the long hours and ceseless work piled on top of existing piles by those in command, the regulations laws and military dispatches i had to deal with back on the sword coast were as formidable as any corsair raid to deal with. But prevail i did, and let the duties of every clerk, court official or scribe be remembered as much as any marshall, mage or magistrate"

:: He takes time to thank the clerks even more often than usual for their efforts, and asks after their families as they hurry home to be with them after long hours of work, in which Ravos is often seen working long into the night, always seeming empassioned and energised with his service ::

A marine is heard to remark, "Why that fekker, works so hard i don't know, he always has time for a drink, though he nay drink that much either. I guess he 'as te get up early or somethin'," as the man staggers back to his barracks.

A passing noblewoman is heard to say, "Why no i don't know where he spends his nights, probably in the inn though i don't know if he has better accomodation lately since he's an advisor to an elf, the Guard General no less... Oh yes, i hear he has a lot of time for elves himself, oh no, i couldn't say as regard to his personal affairs he seems rather devoted to the statesman's life and he does keep some vared female company i'd say... strange quiet ones who say little, and those who seem very high and mighty and holy.. nothing like that no as for myself - though personally i think he has an eye for that charming advisor to one of those councillors, she's quite lovely so i've heard him remark when he was quite without an ale in his hand...."

• :: Ravos seems to be enjoying time in the commons more than usual, despite the snow, spending longer outside of city hall in the last few days ::

:: In one exchange he was said to have invested in a cobbler's business, to avoid as he put it "Relying on kings and regents as purse holders but instead seeing them as kings in their own right as it should be".
    "It seems right that citizens should decide and invest in those businesses or guilds they are interested in, it can only be good for the economy of the region, and i'm sure there is plenty of gold sloshing around the various adventurers, or citizens with a keen care an interest in the city. Perhaps they could consider more than just the next grand gesture, or just empty charity, but to consider the value of a hand up, where someone can hold their head high in pride and not just a hand-out."
    "I'm sure they'll deliver me up a new set of boots, as sure as anything. I can't imagine them wanting to disappoint a stranger to their eyes like myself. I have a feeling about these two craftsmen, and their operation will be so small as even to be noticed by other crafters. It's more an investment in , or faith if you like in people as a whole, and those who have spent as long as a wizard takes to learn their craft perfecting such a seeminly everyday item as boots."

:: He's heard to remark that noone should take the crafts of folk for granted, and neither the passion that drove them for 10 or 15 years to learn a skill ::

• :: Ravos has been seen in and around city hall increasingly of late, noone seems to know why he's spending time there ::

"P'robly takin' 'is library books back", laughs one sailor who staggered out of the Mermaid empty of pocket, back to the docks after a night drinking with the rich merchants.

"Someones plaything isn't he", scoffs one passing trader watching him follow behind Lady Tiller, and Princess Reyhenna...

"Trying to join up with the rest of the scum heading into Reyhenna's unit is he, doesn't seem to be in that class", remarks a defender marine senior NCO.

"Perhaps he's just finding somewhere to shelter out of the snow", remarks a clerk, "he seems very nice though, and polite too".

:: Ravos simply thanks the herald for his latest book recommendation, looks up from his latest intense conversation on threats to the region. He seems to be there sometimes when new recruits approach the defenders and heads out of the city hall waving to a couple of clerks before heading out into the Nars, exchanging some down-to-earth words with the guards on the gate ::

• :: Ravos has been of late seen in different districts of the city sometimes being asked to read some pronouncement or notice, as he's now known among inns to be an avid reader - for some folks who can't read or struggle so ::

"Well i would propose that the long standing bardic college be asked to provide lessons not just to the young, but also the older generations whose wisdom can surely be so well communicated, be they seafarer, merchant, trader or soldier of old wars, or even nobleman". "Only then are the strong institutions of monarchy and the institutions that support them fully in close concert, a dance even - with the populace".

"Here let me read you a passage here from a book the Bard Nate once gave me you know, in a meeting with High Hold, Lord Sent and the young King Thalaman"
    "the book is entitled - Dynastic Renaissance - Peltarch's Royal Profile"

"The Kingdom, its Royals, and its People must remain ever vigilant against all threats to their collective way forward. The Kingdom of Peltarch must avoid the Senate's fate. But such threats can only be resisted by a strong political culture, marked with a participant, attentive, and vigilant citizenry. It is necessary, if we want to keep our rulers as wise and humble -- and indeed, as caring -- as King George."

"See there we go you see, what did i tell you these are the things we should all strive for."
    "A strong political culture - so we'll need regular places of debate, and discussion, with proper respect and concern for the laws being well known and respected, and their arbiters, be they guard or magistrate both visible and even handed"
    "A participant, attentive and vigilant citizenry - So the voices will have to listen to you all, you'll all have to be able to read and write so as i've been saying about that, and vigilant so the dogma's of the clear seeing gods should be spoken widely in the city. I've been to the Temple of Helm just the other week, existing as it does in the ruins of Jiyyd"

"And as for wise and humble the young king will i'm sure make a wise, brave and strong warrior forged by the support of the Regent and his brother, and a few sword lessons perhaps, but i'm sure he'll be teaching us all before long"

:: Ravos heads back to city hall returning some books to the city library, and advises anyone where they can obtain a copy of "Dynastic Renaissance - Peltarch's Royal Profile" ::

• "Well then, we know what a king is, but what be a Duchy", someone is heard to ask Ravos one evening in the mermaid. "You're from one of those places aren't ye, sort of like a kingdom right?"

... "Something like that", Ravos says in reply, "It works like this. Imagine if you will, if our King was perhaps not just the King of Peltarch, a city state, and claiming the surrounding lands and working hand in hand with high hold. Well imagine if our King one day becomes the king of -All- of the Narfell area. I'm sure he'll do fine becuase he'll be brave and wise and all such, so Norwick would be happy with that, and the Gypsy Camp when that is back with folk living there again, and the Silver Valley, they are all nice places and will no doubt operate independently but so long as they respect the King. By Siamorphe i thought most people would know this. Perhaps that fine man Isaac Thaddeus, can write a colume on the nature of rulership and kingship for you all?"

"Well, see, a Duchy would be ruled by a Duke, and would usually be a piece of land or a distinctly separate place, but bordering usually the main base of the king. For example that Lord Sent, could well be named Duke Sent, with all the rights of a king in his own lands, as he already has, then he'll be able to appoint Lords to run things." Perhaps he'll be the "Duke of Highhold and all the Frost-lands of the north"

"Yes, i know there could be a Duke of Nor-wick, in that system but because it's a town, it would probably be a Lord who ran a place like that", perhaps that Silver Valley once Detective Roslyn is finished building it, could well need perhaps not a queen but a Duchess, yes that sounds good. Duchess Roslyn..." :: he remarks with a smile ::.

:: Another man somewhat inebriated comes up to Ravos:: "What bout therres... 'ere fine ladies.. who serve's us drinks 'ere in the mermaid.. they be like princesses right?"

"Ah no, you see they are the traders in ales, the keeper of the safety of the inn, of higher honour there is few, and perhaps according to Siamorphe the ownership of their Inn should perhaps surpass in common use any other title they do hold? But, i'm not a wise sage of Siamoprhe, no no those who own Inn's are called "Innkeepers", as you lot very well know!" :: chuckles Ravos as he buys another round of drinks :: "So next time you meet someone who owns an Inn, if you are not sure what to call them , just Innkeeper will do, or whatever name you inebriated lot choose to shout at them! :: he raises his stein and laughs with a visiting off-duty Defender Marine ::

• :: Semingly diverted back to the city despite his wishes to locate the temple of Helm Ravos has been seen in all sorts of public places recently ::

:: Sharing some friendly exchanges with captains of the guard, and receiving some rewards for vital assistance to the guard in the docks some folk think this military naval man seems to be engaged in the gutters where he should be engaged on deck ::

:: He's also been seen exchanging a number of words with the Herald who seems rather well disposed to Ravos supposedly in some manner of importance to the city alongside Reyhenna and Isolde, whom he's said to have observed in dry amusement that they sound like the title of a fine tale of high magic and quests to far-away realms ::

:: Though he wears no livery of office, uniform or guardsman badge, he's been about the city goinmg here and there enquiring on the health of guards returning from shift, and occasionally patrolling the borders of the city for any trouble ::

"No he ain't no guard..". :: one cerulean said to another while escorting a prisoner back to his cell from the commons :: "He usually is sharing time and drinks with the honourable wavebreakers, and the naval contingents of Peltarch's allies and troops spinning tales of the Sword Coast"

"No he's no voice of the people either, he doesn't seem to be paid.." - one trader says to another "aye he just gets by on sellin' them monsters junk to us it seems".

Ravos eventually replies "No i'm no voice of the people, but i am one of the people he remarks, and i'll remain vigilant on things for you don't you worry, i don't care who you are"...

"Mind you, I think what we need with these new voices of the people is a nice walkabout, a presentation of them not in the council but around the city, flanked by the guard and such, but i'd probably prefer giving some lessons in tactics and anticipation of the enemies movements to them, or anyone who wants to listen, no no, i'm not a knight, just an armsman, no i'm not a paladin sorry i can't heal your pox young lady.... best you drop by the lighthouse or the temple of the triad my dear" :: he's heard to remark after sharing some drinks with some of Peltarchs' marines ::

• In response to recent events many adventurers returned saddened after a magical transportation courtesy of Jonni and events which transpired after served to sadden and divide many of the group observing, with senior figures from the Temple of the Triad, Defenders, Ex members of Peltarch's military and many other folk of different kind and kin - Ravos was seen to be highly irritated and saddened after the affair remarking that:
    "Tis a sad loss to see a young woman like Jasmine obliterated in the name of a host of spirits, such a toll of the young with their whole lives ahead of them while others sit idle" "I'm sure this host will act according to their nature, which is fine but will proper respect and consideration be given to the well being of all the citizens of Peltarch, its laws and traditions and it's allied fortress of Highhold in the far north - and those who benefit from their protections."

"It seemed inevitable some great effort was going to be needed to return this host, but the affair of the return of the item already caused a great deal of trauma and suffering to those who quested for it, but to see a young life eliminated for this singular aim, whatever will these returned hosts response to this sacrifice be? They are said to be sheltering at the Temple of the Triad now in whatever manner ghosts do, but i suppose it must be Kelemvor's will they continue to exist in this manner but by Helm i didn't see this coming, as for certain i feel many others also did not, this cannot occur again for the stability and continuity of these lands and those who live here"

"There are tales of a temple of Helm around these parts, before this town of Jiyyd was consumed by some other oversight or mis-calculation no doubt, - Perhaps there will be some answers, if anything remains of it."

:: He slams his wooden tankard down and returns to his room to plan this search, or to find those who know where this may be found ::

• :: In response to the recent announcement of the Voice's of the people he seems most pleased and is seen celebrating the names of some of the individuals in and around the inn, and talking with optimism on various positive benefits for the city. ::

Jonni will certainly do a fine job so he will, nothing better than someone who can see clearly by the will of Savras in the fog of strangeness and troubles, despite recent personal tragedies. By Azuth he'll do fine...

As for Roslyn my favourite detective seems to be nothing she can't accomplish, though a bit of naval expertise and negotiating skill would still perhaps serve her well... yes i have reminded her of that before...
    "Is she being paid by the guard yet for her detective work... yes that is an appealing job wouldn't mind a bit of detective work myself" :: he's heard to remark to a bored guard in the commons ::

"I don't know Scott, but folk say he's a defender... so that's all well and good, and someone did say the other day they have a military code, so i'm sure he's an honourable man. I'll have to get to know him better" :: and in response to one query from a drunken adventurer he replies :: "No i don't mind what his armour looks like, all defenders wear green don't they, them lot assigned to the forlorn hope on the icelace beach all do..."

"Long live the king!" - he utters a number of times as he shares a drink in the Mermaid...