Martouscha's Voice of the People thread

• ((This thread is meant for Marty to post her voice of the people campaign speeches and other public stuff in. Others can also use it to respond to her speeches.))

• Legion

@e4b90652e7=Wywernywin:

… The commoners instead slowly pick up a chant; "Long live the jewel, long live the king!"...

Marty joins the chant for a few rounds, fist pumping in time to it. When it starts to look like it could turn into a "public disturbance" she turns to snap off a quick salute to Lavindo's statue and then makes her exit

• _The nobility still seems unconvinced, whispering among each other.

The commoners instead slowly pick up a chant; "Long live the jewel, long live the king!"

It seems majority seem convinced of Marty as their Voice._

• Legion

Once again Marty mounts the base of Lavindo's statue so that she can see above the crowd. She is in her Legion Black and Blues and is dressed as if she is ready to go to war. A bandoleer of throwing blades, scrolls and wands crosses her chest, a full satchel of sling stones is by her side, and her quiver is full of arrows. Stripes of war paint streak across each of her cheeks. In contrast to her aggressive garb her hair is done nicely. A familiar symbol of King Tidus hangs about her neck.

WELL FOLKS, after some delay it is almost time for us to appoint the one who will bring our will to the ears of the king!

And deciding who to vote for is going to be a tough job! I really don't believe any of the candidates for this position would do the job poorly.

Gnarl, I can vouch that with him you would have a Voice of the People who would faithfully carry out his duties with the highest level of honesty and integrity.

Mystic, I have no doubt that she would deliver your voice not only to his majesty's ears but right into his very heart!

Mike …. errFREE ALE!

But please listen to me Peltarch - if I didn't believe that I was the best person for this job then I wouldn't be putting my hand up for it.

If you appoint Martoushca Leaffall as Voice of the People, I will do absolutely everything in my power to maximize opportunities.

To you of noble birth and character, she draws a little green book out from her sling stone satchel and holds it up toward some noble looking folk in the crowd everything in my power to maximize opportunities for you to have a greater role in governing this city.

For you seeking work, everything in my power to match the opportunities for work with your willingness and your skills! Work repairing our walls and public buildings. Work beautifying our streets. Work tilling and harvesting!

But most importantly, for you who love freedom, who hate injustice, who are tired of the lies … to you I promise that I will do everything in my power to stand up and fight! Everything in my power to maximize opportunities for you to forge your own destinies!

But Peltarch, I want to make something very clear. I was speaking with someone the other day who believed that I wanted to "get rid of the monarchy".

Not true.

On the contrary, with all of my heart I seek to advise our monarch not only in matters concerning the will of the people, but also on the spirit of his forefather, the great Fisher King, His Majesty King Tidus - may his name, deeds and spirit be remembered forever. If that means King George does as his father did and give his crown back to the people, then praise the gods! But if not … praise the gods!

Sons and daughters of the Jewel, with the amount of murmuring and plotting and puppeteering that goes on ... I feel His Majesty King George will need strongly delivered advice to rule in the manner of his forefather. Not in the manner of dishonest puppeteers. Not in the manner of followers of a foreign god!

May Tyr witness all injustice and lies and stir! May he arise in his temple and judge!

Aye, may all the gods who are enshrined within Peltarch's walls arise! May their will be done! Ishitar, Mystra, Lathander! May Sheela, Chauntea and all the fair lords of nature bless this city with fruitfulness and wisdom to know how to live in balance!

And all ye here right now - May your gods love and keep ye! I pray that you will all be blessed with wisdom when the time comes for you to vote! And know this - For me, Voice of the People or no, I will ALWAYS labor for you. Peltarch's streets have raised me. She has sheltered me and protected me. Know that my deeds will ALWAYS be on your behalf. Because in truth, gods bearing witness, I love ye all!

LONG live the KING!

LONG LIVE THE JEWEL!

and a SWIFT END to her ENEMIES!

• Legion

word spreads that Marty plans to hold a public meeting at Lavindo's statue in two days.

(Will post final speech soon)

• Some of the people begin to cheer - others, finally realizing that Marty wishes to get rid of monarchy, leave the scene. It's a divisive meeting, but those remaining are almost sure to vote for Martouscha.

• Legion

*_Marty is almost on time when she arrives at the commons on horseback. Arrows are protruding from her shield, and she looks a bit ragged. She is dressed in her blue and black Legion armour, which has some unpaired slash damage. Her wounds are healed, but the blood smattering her armour seems to be a combination of her own and that of some fallen enemy.

She dismounts and makes her way across the commons greeting folks as she goes. Once at the sun dial she reaches up and acrobatically hoists herself up onto.

Keen eyes may notice that she is fighting off fatigue as she makes her speech_*

**SONS and DAUGHTERS of the JEWEL!

True HEIRS of TIDUS!**

We'll be voting soon to choose one of our own to serve as our voice in the king's court.

If you're still wondering who to vote for, think on what each of us is offering. Put it in a nut shell!

Let me summarize and let you all know what Peltarch will be getting if you put me in the court as your voice;

• You'll get a voice in the king's ear advising him to grant greater political autonomy to the people. Advising him to do as his father Tidus did and let us govern ourselves.
    • You'll get a voice striving to create opportunities for those seeking employment. Work on the wall, work on the streets and out on the fields.
    • You'll get a voice striving to create opportunities for those who feel the call to political service or leadership. Greater opportunities to make your voice heard!

In short, it's not about what I would do if I were in the king's court, it's about what YOU will be able to do. You will have a voice doing everything she can to to empower every son and daughter of Peltarch to forge their OWN DESTINY by their OWN DEEDS!

Because what's what it's all about folks. Deeds not Blood.

Even for those who disagree with that saying - the oldest saying in Narfell - "Deeds not Blood" - even if you were onboard with the Siamorphean plot to put a king over us, even for you I'd be a striving for your opportunity to lead!

Marty draws a "Little Green Book" out of her satchel and holds it high

Because I don't believe that one "Voice" is enough! If I were in the king's court I would do everything in my power to make sure that all of your voices were carried to the kings ear through people who truly represent you!

So .. sorry folks .. with me no free ale. Only a free PELTARCH!

LONG LIVE THE JEWEL!

and a SWIFT END TO HER ENEMIES!

• Legion

Marty and her supporters start spreading the word that she will be speaking at the sundial in the commons tomorrow

• People eagerly take the free books - a valuable commodity, even though many of the commoners cannot read. The people seem quite happy with the freebies, and leave smiling. Large minority seems to agree with Mike, however.

• _Mike of Peltarch is there for the distribution of Marty's leaflets. A few men who had been amongst his initial supporter crowd stand elsewhere in the audience. One of those men, a red-haired fellow with broad shoulders and an uneven beard, quietly mumbles something to his two comrades, and as Peltarchans who had taken some of the literature begin to leave, the three quietly recover pamphlets from some of the less obviously enthusiastic citizens, claiming that they really wanted to read them. After taking one, they hide it away, and their collection begins to grow.

After a few moments of this, Mike looks over at the men - his men - and abruptly shouts at them.

"Oi, oi!"

The men stop and look at Mike as he marches over to them.

"Let's let the people see what she's writ, ay. Myself included," Mike says to them. He takes one of the reference documents and orders the men to redistribute what they had taken. For a moment, he reads Marty's documents, and then speaks to the red-haired man.

"If Martouscha wants Peltarch to see what koin'na systems can be done, let 'em see!" He pauses, glancing at the document again, and looks up, "But I'll have to make a statement to the people m'self, on this - I mean, lookin' to the future of our govern'nce I can get behind, but Godssake, let's look to our present govern'nce first before we try to change what ain't even there yet."_

• Legion

After giving out the first batch of better quality books, she begins to distribute the rest. Obviously the first are meant to be kept for reference, while the second batch is a little more disposable, being printed on poor quality pulp and bound with off cut leather

(click on me)

After Marty hands out the last book, she offers the empty box

Who wants a box?

After handing the empty box to a random person,

LONG live the KING!

LONG LIVE THE JEWEL!

and a SWIFT END to her ENEMIES!

with that she hops down and makes her way back to the commons

• Legion

As previously announced, Martoushca makes her appearance in the Residential District. Marty climbs up onto the base of Lavindo's statue. As earlier, she is dressed in a long, dark velvet coat white shirt and blue duds. A symbol of King Tidus hangs around her neck.

NOBLE HEARTS! SONS and DAUGHTERS of the Jewel, if I may have your ears for just a moment.

Aye gather around … thanks.

For those who may not already know, I am Martoushca Leaffall, and I've presented myself to enter the kings court at the people's pleasure to serve as their voice.

I'm not actually here before you today to bang on with my own campaign to serve you as your voice. By now I'm sure most of you know by now who I am and what I stand for. And in truth the others running are fine candidates! Gnarl, I'm struggling to name a person as solid in their integrity as he is. I've known him for quite a while and Peltarch would do well with him serving as her voice. As she would with Mystic! Seriously, as if the king wouldn't listen to her! And that Mike fella seems alright.

No - today I'm hoping to draw your attention to this!

Marty holds up a small green book. By now some of them have been circulating around the place. The one she holds up is one of the copies with a nicer cover and binding. Some that are being passed around look a little more ragged.

As a little girl I grew up hearing stories of our Fisher King Tidus. Stories of how he fought against the giants, and of how he fought against the tyrants of Hoarsgate. To me he seemed like a man with a single dream - that he and his people would be free. Free from slavery , free from fear, and free from political dictatorship. Peltarch made him her first king, but his dream of a free people prompted him to make sure the people would govern themselves rather than be ruled over by a potentate. And after making sure Peltarch's sons were politically autonomous he stepped down from his throne and gave his power to the people.

A lot has happened since those olden days to poison that dream. Corruption in the senate, rebellion, and more recently a plot to install a monarchy. But I would like to believe that the dream of a free people governing themselves is still alive.

No, more than "would like to believe" - I STRONGLY BELIEVE that this dream is STILL ALIVE! I know it is so because if the blood of Tidus truly runs through the veins of our current king, then so does his wisdom. So does that dream!

I believe that is what has prompted him to call us to appoint one of our own as a "Voice of the People". But sons and daughters of Peltarch, I don't believe that I or any other single person could possibly represent the vastly different views that all of us hold to. Can only one "Voice of the People" really represent the thousands of people who live in this city?

she holds up the little green book again and wriggles it a bit

In this book is a proposal for a system that I believe will grant everyone a voice! It will grant opportunities for those gifted to lead to show that leadership! It will grant opportunities for those down trodden and ignored to present their plight directly to the kings court!

If you havn't a copy of this track, I have a box here full of them. Not enough for all of you however, but we are busy creating more. Please share these around, discuss them, ponder on them, and let the spirit behind them write Tidus' dream onto the stone tablets of your heart.

she opens up a wooden box and begins handing out "Little Green Book" tracts.

• Legion

shakes her head as he leaves

You know … he's right. As a druid I should know how magic works, and how nature works. Like I said, I'll finish my tests and let you all know.

But as for lying - a little RICH! Especially from him! I mean .. the General's campaign to install a king over us wasn't exactly up front … if you know what I mean?

But I'm glad he has taken an interest in the election for a "Voice of the People". I mean, he excluded so many voices from voting during the referendum to decide whether or not to overturn the principles this city was built upon and install a monarchy. So it's good that he now hopes to see everyone's voice heard … for a change … I think?

Yeah as a druid I know all about how "magic works". Bardic magic included. Eagle's Splendor, Charm, Heroism, Good Hope, Glibness, each word of their melodic voice can be laced with magic… for good or ill. Believe me folks, if a bard speaks, ask a friend to cast "detect magic" just so you know what kind of magic they are using to win you over.

Cast "Detect Magic" on me folks. Cast "Detect Lies". You'll find neither. Cast "Detect Hin Woman Eager to See the Will of the People Done" and I'm sure get a hit!

OH speaking of "Detecting" things, Tomorrow I'll be speaking over by Lavindo's statue in the Residential District. Tell your friends!

Marty finishes with her standard war cry

LONG live the **KING!

LONG LIVE THE JEWEL!**

She then does an acrobatic cartwheel dismount from the ruined monument and disappears into the crowd

[[EDIT: Marty has a pretty good Spell Craft just in case anyone was wondering. ]]

• Del'Rosa shakes his head a bit.

"You may of course believe what you wish, but magic does not cause pollution, unless a spell is cast that does exactly that.. surely you as a druid should know how magic works.

Please do not lie any more to the voters, that's all I wish.

As for the wall, I shall leave it to Magistrate D'Arneau to deal with as he deems fit.

Now if you'd excuse me, I need to go speak to new recruits. I wish you luck, Martouscha."

The crowd speak in hushed whispers as Del'Rosa leaves - and some of the crowd begin to leave as well. The majority stay, though, to hear if she has anything more to say.

• Legion

"No such thing as arcane pollution"? Sir I beg to differ. The area that was once Jyyd may be an extreme example, but powerful arcane magic can have a devastating effect on the delicate natural balance if used recklessly. Areas of wild magic are also examples of how powerful magic can leave a catastrophic scar on the environment. Smaller scale distortions are harder to notice, but are felt by nature none the less.

I suppose, General, that you'd need to know a bit about the Natural Balance to truly understand the issue.

I'll continue my tests.

But pollution or no, my idea still stands. With the kings blessing, a "Green Army" that would labor in both the fields and on the streets of Peltarch.

And you think I should speak to the stonemasons union about the construction of the walls? If I get the kings ear and he agrees that action needs to be taken concerning the walls then maybe they should come talk to me? The ones who prove they can build a wall that protects the people rather than endanger them, and who also display a willingness and ability to teach citizen laborers a trade - those the city should employ. In the meantime it's not my role to be knocking on the Guild's door. It's the Magistrate's!

• _As she brings up the poor construction of the wall, the stonemason's union representative quietly slinks off.

The crowd seems somewhat confused as she brings up the matter of magical pollution, people whispering to each other, not sure what to make of it.

General Del'Rosa folds arms in the crowd, looking somewhat amused before speaking out._

"Perhaps I can set your mind at ease, Martouscha.. The glow you have witnessed is intentional light magic put in place on the orders of by General Velhar and myself. If you have patrolled the walls during night, you would know that it can be hard to see what's in the darkness below you. The lighting magic was put there so that our guards and defenders can better see the enemies of the city. It's far more cost effective than maintaining torches.

As for arcane pollution, such a thing simply does not exist. I should hope that you do not intentionally try to lead the population of the city astray with your wild leaps of imagination.

As for the construction of the walls, you might wish to talk to the stonemasons union about it."

The confusion among the people grows, as they're unsure whether to trust their old senator or the general. They look to Marty to see what she has to say.

• Legion

The strange glow.

• Legion

Marty rounds up dock workers on their break, lurkers, and folks milling about in the docks. She climbs up onto the ruined fountain monument and begins to address them. Rather than her regular Legion armour or gardening smock she is wearing a dark velvet overcoat, white canvas shirt and blue pants. Smart casual. Around her neck is an old "Fisher King" Tidus symbol.

BROTHERS and SISTERS!

Your ears for just one moment please.

You all know me, your neighbor Marty. I live over there in a tent. In case you didn't already know I'll be putting up my hand to represent you in the King's Court. Put me in there, and you will have someone striving to bring a greater voice to the kings ear than any single person could deliver. I will be pushing for a system where by all voices are heard!

But I'll get into that some other day.

Folks, do you remember what Peltarch was once like? Back before the war with N'Jast? They used to call Peltarch "The Jewel of the Icelace". Some folks still call her the Jewel, but she hardly lives up to her name.

she steps a little high up onto the monument ruins

Unless you've been asleep, all of you will have noticed the new walls extending out toward the west. Some of you may have helped build them? Those who did would know the hasty manner in which they were constructed. His Magesty King George - Long life to him! - in his wisdom saw the need to create this wall to better defend the city.

Sadly, due to poor planning and haste, these walls have crumbled in several places. In one part they fell almost crushing Kala's cart! I fear it is only a matter of time before one us or one of our children are crushed to death under this poorly constructed wall.

And what is worse - I believe that powerful arcane magic may have been used to help the construction of this wall. Some areas around the wall emit a strange glow at night. I'm sure you've seen it! I've taken some samples and I hope to do some tests. I suspect arcane pollution. Who knows what affect this un-natural glow has on us and our children!

But every PROBLEM is an OPPORTUNITY!

Here is my plan; I will do everything in my power to get the king's approval for two separate work forces.

First, a force composed of willing souls led by skilled masons. Their first task will be to reconstruct the walls so that they are no longer a danger to those walking by them or the good Defenders and Guards who walk along them as they protect us. Once they have completed the repairs, the city of Peltarch will continue to employ them to maintain the wall and to construct public buildings in the new areas made available by the walls expansion.

The second work force; a green army whose first task will be to collect the top soil of these unnaturally infected areas and remove the contamination from Peltarch. Once their task is done, the city will continue to employ them to help meet the city's agricultural goals as well as to work toward restoring Peltarch to her former glory. Lawns, gardens, Peltarch will be beautiful again!

Because these two work forces will be constructing works that ultimately bring money into the city's coffers, the cost of their employment will eventually come from the work itself. The creation of these work forces will be an investment not only in the lives of the people employed, but also an investment in the future of our city!

A visiting druid once referred to this city as a sad "hive of mud and stone". Someone from the wild. People our city was once a beacon to people everywhere! Together we can light that beacon once again!

If you humble me by placing me in the kings court you will have someone working for you - to create opportunities for you to do GREAT DEEDS!

For our destiny is forged by OUR DEEDS!, Not BLOOD!

LONG live the **KING!

LONG LIVE THE JEWEL!**

(( OOC: This started off as a simple slideshow showing the damaged wall sections and the bits that glowed at night. But .. it turned into whatever this is.))
    CLICK me for VIDEO

((Crumbled wall that almost destroyed Kala's cart.))

• The commoners nod to each other, one of them shouting to Marty:

"Come talk tomorrow! We love you Marty!"

• Legion

Careful of … what contacts?

Was that a threat?

Anyway ... Vote for me ... or the other guys. Everyone who has put their hand up for this job seems like a brilliant candidate. You folks can't go wrong really.