Returned Part II : The Updatening

• Hello home away from home.

You know those friends who you may not see for a while, but when you get back together, you always pick up right where you left off? That's Narfell in a nutshell. I've missed you guys, but life has been … well, lousy lately, and it's kept me more than a little busy.

It's still busy, but there's a pattern in it now where I can take the time to do some things I enjoy doing. Like playing with you lot. Big thanks to the folks I've already gotten to spend some time with since my 'return.'

As for the why, it's been quite the trip lately. The big things are below. There's graphic, shitty news there, so if you don't want to see it, this is where you stop reading.

I've been in and out of jobs that I haven't really liked that much over the past year or two, and most have paid the bills well enough, but I ended a job by riding out the contract at the end of July that was paying great, and went straight to nothing. That sucked, but I had made enough that I could pay rent, eat, etc while I looked for new work. During this time, I had managed to break a tooth, and had an exposed nerve, so I was basically in constant pain. That sucked.

The gal I had recently started dating, decided to ignore my assurances that I was fine when an infection set in, and started a YouCaring page to fundraise for me to catch up on the dental work I'd been missing due to lack of funds and insurance.

This was one of the better things to have happened to me in a long time. I was going to be out of pain. Eating Normally. You know, the stuff that you never think about til you can't do it any more. I had the surgery 6 days before my birthday, on August 18th. It was painful and long, didn't go as planned, and there's some extra damage that it shouldn't have had to incur, but hey, the bad teeth are out. Of course, there's more.

On the 12th of August, my Mother died. We didn't really talk any more, she was the one who orphaned me at 7, I found again at 23, and was hell to keep in touch with because she'd abruptly stop calling/answering, and make me wonder all over again if she was dead, or just no longer interested in talking to me. I've been a mess since, quietly, because it's a huge ball of non-resolution.

Fast forward to September. I'd been having some pain down in my groin, from where I thought I had harmed the boys with a wardrobe malfunction or similar. Finally went into the doctor a few weeks later when the pain and swelling raged back up, and had to go to the ER to get checked out.

TADA, Cancer.

Dammit.

So I'm now one ball down, have another giant scar, and have been grossly inconvenienced by the huge amounts of bloodwork, testing, and other medical crap I get to deal with, all with a lingering case of "What if there's more" on the horizon.

I'm waiting now on the "last" batch of tests, to see if I'm "Cancer Free" for the time being, or if we missed something in the surgery.

I'm working at the company my contract ran out with, again, but at almost half the rate, and at a job I really don't enjoy, too. I'm cranky, depressed, angry, resentful, and more than a little annoyed every single day.

However, there's good in there too. I'm 'this' close to being declared more or less 'healthy'. I don't have migraines any more since the tooth removal. I am working with a startup part time, that if it gets funded, I can quit the job I really don't like in favor of something that I really do. I have an awesome girlfriend, the dogs are still healthy and happy, and my roommate is awesome. My friends group has really helped me out, and even if everything basically goes to hell, I know I have help.

Today, I needed a rant, I needed some time alone, but not really, you know? I fired up Narfell, took a walk around Jiyyd, (more of a sneak, really), read some forums, and realized how much I used to keep my old friends up to date on life.

Sorry the update was ugly, but hey, now there's room for improvement! I re-downloaded IRC, and will try to get on chat any time I'm available to possibly play, if anybody wants to catch up.

Two takeaways from this:

1.) Men, check your junk. Seriously. If it's not a perfectly smooth small egg shape x 2 below the ol twig, get you to a doctor. NOW.

2.) My friends are basically the best things in my life. You guys were a big part of that 'friend' circle, and I'm glad to have time to hang out again.

See you all soon 😄

UPDATE

My bloodwork came back, and I still have cancer cells. Not sure where, why, how etc, but it's there, which means it's follow up time.

I have an appointment Monday morning, and will go from there.

I also lost my job due to absences like going to the doctor during work (Coincidentally ... Doctor ) hours. They let me leave on "Medical" instead of firing me, and even tried to backtrack at first, but laced it with lots of "Oh, we can let you stay, BUT ... "

Nuh-uh. You're going to let me go because I need to tend to my health a couple hours a week? Fuck off.

So, back to the grind, hopefully will find a way to pay rent, and get a more understanding employer.

Wish me luck, and come see me in game ^_^

Missed you guys...

• Having had loved ones who have fought cancer (and lost sometimes) that is GREAT NEWS JERRICK! YAY INDEED!

• Hey Narfell!

So, I'm sore, and happy, and proud to announce, that I got my last battery of tests back on Wednesday, and not only is everything clear, but they authorized the removal of my port from my chest!

Not only that, but they cleared me to go in THE NEXT DAY.

So, a busy week has topped off with me having surgery, and I'm now chemo-port free, cancer-free, and free to play more Narfell. 😉

Though, October is proving to me mightily busy, so my weekends have been pretty largely booked up. We'll see when I can sneak on! Please PM me if you need me, or better yet, add me on Facebook so you can message me directly.

I'm well known for logging in when somebody says, "Hey, get on! There's stuff and things!"

SO … thanks to all my pals here for the thoughts and encouragement. I'll see you soon!

• I'm going to belatedly echo the sentiment that it's good to see you back, and good to hear things are looking up. 🙂

• Glad to hear all is looking well, Jerrick! Welcome back!

• WB ^.^

┏(--)┛┗(-- )┓┗(--)┛┏(--) ┏(--)┓┏(--)┛┗(-_- )┓

Time to get back to doing crazy things!

• move to NYC, I'll hire you!

(you might have to hang from a tree in the interview process)

• Glad to hear things are looking up for you. We never realize just how basic good health can be to our happiness until we lose it.

Best of luck Friday!

• Thank you!

And holy smokes, the way I saved my Narf files transitioned over perfectly! I literally dropped the folder on my desktop and pow! In game!

So … yeah! Feel free to message me on Facebook or IRC when you're in! I'll try to leave IRC up when I'm at the computer, but otherwise, FB is always the best way to get in touch with me.

www.facebook.com/chrismoriley

• Great to see you around and well Jerrick. Welcome back! 😄

• Great big update!

Getting the final verification on fully being cancer free on Friday, and as of this point, i'm 100% done with chemo!

Holy crap, hardest thing I've ever gone through, hands down.

I'm broke, looking for a good job again now that I can do things again, and looking to move into a house soon with my girlfriend, so life is crazy, but I'm still alive! And healthy, too.

Missed you guys. Trying to get NWN running on this iteration of this machine. I have a slightly better graphics card now, salvaged from somebody else's machine, but I moved to Win10 to get a clean install after my last one went wonky.

Here's hoping I get it working, and that my machine lasts a while longer, as it's probably due for an upgrade XD

See you soon?

• I feel bad to have just seen this thread. I hope you are doing well, Jerrick. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

• Best wishes and good luck, Jerr!

• Best wishes to you, bud, and I hope 2016 is the year you beat cancer once and for all.

I've walked for Rely for Life (American Cancer Society) every summer for the past 12 or 13 years. I know we don't know each other IRL, but I'll be thinking of you (and others I know who are fighting cancer).

Godspeed!

Z

• hugs Thinking about you, fingers and toes crossed.

strews out the tiny christmas piggehs in a new year's burst of pink

• First round of chemotherapy complete.

The 5 days in a row of it? Not that bad. The resulting weekend and days after? Fucking miserable. I start again on the 4th, but hey, so far so good. 🙂

My fundraiser also completed this week, too, so it's all paid for too!

• Hey bud,

It was great to see you back in game a while back. I hope you keep it up.

I'm really sorry to hear about your cancer, though. Over the years, we've adventured together a few times (you should have stuck with crafting!), but we've had enough interactions IG, PMs, and in the forums for me to know that you're a good person outside of the game.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care, and I hope to see you IG soon.

Z

• I believe it is illegal for a company to fire an employee for a medical reason.

• Man hugs Sorry to hear about all this bud. Fucking employers need to be more sympathetic about that shit.

• –---------------------------------
    UPDATE

My bloodwork came back, and I still have cancer cells. Not sure where, why, how etc, but it's there, which means it's follow up time.

I have an appointment Monday morning, and will go from there.

I also lost my job due to absences like going to the doctor during work (Coincidentally ... Doctor ) hours. They let me leave on "Medical" instead of firing me, and even tried to backtrack at first, but laced it with lots of "Oh, we can let you stay, BUT ... "

Nuh-uh. You're going to let me go because I need to tend to my health a couple hours a week? Fuck off.

So, back to the grind, hopefully will find a way to pay rent, and get a more understanding employer.

Wish me luck, and come see me in game ^_^

Missed you guys...