Announcement from Captain-General Del'Rosa

• Some of the dock workers, upon hearing George's proposals on taxes, and having known him for a long time, mistake Morris' calling for a chant and join in:
    "King George! King George! King George!"

• Mathias looks back to the gnome speaking calmly

Sir…one does not give a king a "try". A king is usually considered permanent. Its a rather large decision to make to make a permanent ruler over elected one. A man that has no son or daughter to take his place if he dies. This is not a small decision to make and you should be considering the consequences a lot more carefully before your so willing to determine the fate of an entire city. While I hold nothing against the man, What the Lady said is accurate. Talk of bringing in some stranger from a foreign land to rule Peltarch when he dies is a disgrace to Peltarch in itself. Why not adopt one of the local orphans right out of the Orphanage and raise that one as the next Royal? Give them a better life and keep the lifeblood of the city flowing!

• Morris Purcandel pipes up at the back. He seems to have some ridiculous dark gnomish goggles on and all of the digits on his pale right hand are supported by absurd mini-splints. His hair seems swished in all directions and his clothes are covered in black spots. It appears the poor young scribe has finally exited the city hall after many weeks of grimy census work.

"I simply can't imagine why anyone would be against giving a king a try. Truly, what is our alternative? Hold an election for another senate? Oh, I wonder who would win? Would it happen to be the richest people in the city; or, perhaps the merchants, the other richest people in the city that half the other people in the city work for and cannot vote against for fear of starvation?

I say, if this chap managed to live till seventy on the docks then he must be doing something right. Besides! Tell me what is worse: a few bad decisions or no decisions at all? I say out with the filthy corrupt senate, and in with the shiny new king!"

Morris calls forth "King George! King George! What will your coat of arms be?"

• George thinks on Walter's words for a while before responding.

"While there is truth to your words, I do not see it as charity, self-image or vanity. There -are- families in the city that live on, worn pair of words though it may be, bread and water. Citizens that work all day long at that. I would not wish to lay blame on anyone, but those that lead the guilds do have quite a bit of resposibility in this. Hardworking citizens should not have to line up in soupkitchen.

Yes, it is true that such a system could be abused. But so can our current system, as seen by some prominent figures apparently not partaking in the census. One cannot weed out dishonesty completely, but one can support those that do work honestly.

Many types of government look good on paper. As an idea, I agree, it looks good. But in practice, it has not worked. The senators have always, and pardon my skepticism, always will work towards their own agenda or that of who bought their votes. Think of it as a hydra, with each head with a mind of their own. It's heads will fight with each other on who gets to eat the person before them - and before it realizes it, that person has already sinked their blade into their backs.

A wise man listens to those around him. A wise ruler makes informed decisions. This does not mean the advisors make the decisions for him.

King is the Head that decides what Hands, employees of the city shall do. A head cannot decide on what isn't perceived. Advisors are the Eyes and Ears. Yet without the help of Heart, none of these can act. The Heart is you, the people of the city. Each and every one of you.

There is a saying I've heard: "The whole body suffers from a dumb head." I'm afraid that the senate is somewhat of a splitminded head."

George turns his head to answer Raryldor calmly

"When I become corrupt? It seems my fate is sealed then."

The old man grins slightly before continuing

"It is true I haven't the experience in governance. In that manner, I'm much like every other voter deciding our senators. However what I do have is patience. I do not judge candidates one way or the other on first sight. I will take time, hear of their past experiences, of their repute - everything I need to know to make the best decision I can possibly make for the city. That is what I can promise to you."

((I'll respond to Rith's and following a bit later, gotta work now :P))

• Mathias looks to Rith nodding in approval

Well said milady. I think you hit most of the greatest concerns on the head.

• A radiant Lathanderite notices the turmoil as she arrives, her amber eyes watching as the exchange of inquiries and accusations happen. As the opportunity presents itself, she attempts to draw the attention to speak some words.

Being native from Suzail, I see the merit in the idea of having a king. My homeland has been ruled by a single dynasty of kings and queens for pretty much as long as humans are a sentient race, and in that time you would say that Suzail has prospered and grown to be one of the richest and most beautiful cities of our world.

George here is right… senators win their seat often through manipulations and subterfuge, buying votes and influences. I've been directly involved in one senatorial campaign with my candidature as advisor, and I've witnessed the dirt under the rug of the human conscience in all kind of campaigns of slander and defamation. There was even a company that had the only purpose or running these campaigns against anyone that did not submit a payment to them, practising this mostly accepted and legal form extortion that you could do nothing but stick to your principles and ideals, and live with it.

Then I have witnessed as well how the senators that so actively battled each other to earn a seat, and that includes the one which I was aligned with, faded away over time, growing complacent and content in their positions, unable to act towards their people's well-being even in times of war. Sadly enough, and I say sadly because some of those senators I consider friends and people worth respect, they had not the commitment, will or knowledge to act as senators. They had only the will to be recognised as senators as a badge of honour or status, and perhaps a bunch of good ideas that they never pursued, because they had no pressure to do so. This can not be permitted. Peltarch deserves better, much better.

Then Rith turns to George himself, her eyes look at him gently, with certain concern, her gesture much as if he was the younger one in that exchange of gazes

But George, dear, some of the concerns raised by the people here are true. You are a very old man, without heirs. You are not trained as a ruler simply because you had no idea of all this deal until just recently. And you have no heirs to train. When you inevitably cross the river to the shores of the infinite spirit, would you leave a foreign ruler in charge of Peltarch? No, George, that won't do. Peltarch needs to belong to its people, and any rulers, be it senators or kings, need to have grown with the city, embraced it, and learned to love it as well as every citizen of it. The ruler or rulers must have passion for Peltarch.

I am of noble lineage myself, in Suzail no less, and I truly think nobody should be born with the right of ruling over others. I left my homeland young and tired of a life of petulant gossips in the backrooms of diamond-dressed Balls. The right to rule must be earned through deed. I do not mean to offend Siamorphe's priests, but I believe a ruler and a noble are two well distinct and unrelated things, as I have known of plenty spoiled and decadent princes that led their land to ruin, and of plenty simple men that rose and led their people to prosperity.

What I am saying is that any form of leadership is only as good or as bad as the leaders who sit at the throne of it. Senators, Pharaohs, Jarls, Kings… all of them work, but only as long as the ones in the high seat are worthy of their people and understand that being a ruler is not an act of command over their people, it is an act of servitude to their people. Selfless, wholehearted servitude.

There is no real question that needs to be answered in what I am saying. I only wish for Peltarch to decide its fate on its own, and I would like people to really think what they want for themselves.

At this point Rith Phoenixfeather turns towards the people

People of Peltarch, it is your right to decide, but you must let yourselves be advised by those who hold the jars of experience and wisdom in their hands, and would too like to see the Jewel prosper. This is a crucial time for Peltarch, and you must all be intelligent to put aside any attempts of manipulation to sway your opinion towards a decision that you may regret, and also your children, and the children of your children. Much is at stake, so please, do not let the spur of a moment or the most immediate future lead your thoughts and your feelings. Sit with your families at home, gather with your friends, with your co-workers, and have a sensible, paused conversation with them, so you can make up your mind on what you really want, what does Peltarch really need to be the greatest nation of the north.

May the Light bring you insight in these times of doubt.

• Raryldor interjects.

So you will chose advisors! And what experience have you in governance that your choice will be wise and equitable? Indeed, if the panel of advisors is needed to run every aspect of city governance for you, why can you not back a freely elected Senate that performs the same function? It has been the way always that the people vote to oust corruption. With you as king, what power will they have to oust you when you become corrupt? No, then you and your advisors will roll heads and pad your pockets!

• Walter clears his throat, a frown burdening his brow - he's had a lot on his mind lately…

"_George, er… I... can I speak? ... Yeah I just mean it's -- with the taxes and all. It sounds... well... it sound like it's easily taken advantage of. The lazy will quit their work and live free, declaring nothing that they earn. This is far from a city of sainted sons. I know that ... well you already said that... er... that you'll be speaking with your advisers. I hope they advise you against bankrupting the city on -- some campaign of, what word am I looking for? Charity? Self-image? ... Vanity?

I sincerely apologize if I've been rude to the man-who-would-be-king... but, I believed in the Senate. Perhaps, well, most certainly not the one we've just lost -- but as an 'idea' the Senate is the only assurance of fair governance for the people. And if you're working off the advice of others, then, what real need has the city for a k..king in the first palce?_"

• Mathias nods to the gentleman and bows his head

Thank you for answering my questions sir, I wish you the best regardless of the outcome. May Tyr uphold Justice for you in all you do.

• George nods at the question

"It's a legitimate fear, indeed. I have made some plans regarding the position of spymaster, as well as establishing a "kingsguard" as it were. These individuals would be in charge of the safety of the king, as well as protecting the heir from the taint of the cyricists should time pass me before they would come of age. The choosing process for such individuals would be very strict, and I shan't go into details of it here as that might compromise the safety of such procedure somewhat.

One thing to keep in mind when you ponder when making your opinion on Siamorphe is this; she has three main enemies, Gargauth, Bane and Cyric. Peltarch has banned two faiths from the city: Bane and Cyric."

• Mathias continues to speak in a calm tone frowning having seen the General faint and shakes his head

I am sorry to see the General in such poor condition. I pray he will recover soon. Thank you for clarifying this Divine Right term, it does help to clear up things. I pray you understand well the concern regarding the ideal that Cyricists may be involved in this given the false execution of the previous Senate done by them more recently. My final question stems into what is to be done about this matter should you be placed to ensure that you yourself will not fall prey to them. Your not exactly a young man sir and with no birth heir….it is understandable the populace feels....threatened at the risk of them getting into any position of power.

Dips his head with proper respect to the man

• George sits calmly, listening to the shouting elf, and the accusations thrown - from conspiracies to tyranny and everything inbetween. Nevertheless, he only responds to the questions.

"Firstly, to respond to the taxation and the guard questions: as I stated before, I would first heed the advice of those who would be chosen as the advisors of said fields of proficiency. However regarding taxation there's a certain idea I do have.

Having worked at the docks for a long time, I have noticed how meager the income can be for some of the professions there. This causes young women to take 'night jobs' - among other horrid things poverty causes.

To reduce the burden of poor people, a certain income amount per month should be determine. Should the person earn less than that per month, they should not have to pay taxes. It is absurd to take from those who can not pay to feed themselves.

I am aware that some lands do not tax nobility. In Peltarch, however, the merchant and noble classes are so intermingled that both should have taxation."

George then turns to give a patient look to Raryldor, responding to his heated shouting with a peaceful tone

"Perhaps my wording was inappropriate - Divine Right is one of the names Siamorphe is called by, much like Torm's called the Loyal Fury.

I do not claim to be above you in any way. I am but a simple fisherman right now, not a rich hero like you.

As for a sword, no. Me and the other voluntary troops fighting in the docks during the N'jast war made due with whatever makeshift weapons we got our hands on."

Del'Rosa takes this time to comment on something, rising up and looking quite agitated.

"I did take him in, to protect him from cyricist assassins. How horrible of me. It was I that asked the Siamorphean priests to come here. To give the citizens of Peltarch the option to CHOOSE. It was I that ordered them to work in secrecy. You know why? Because of people like you and Mad Marty who would keep spewing shit from their mouths and cause general chaos during wartime when we are at our weak–"

The heated talk of Del'Rosa is cut off, as he abruptly faints on the stand. A priestess rushes to his side, immediately teleporting off with him in her hands. Gasps are heard in the audience. The general opinion turns against Raryldor, as people see him responsible as causing the loss of conciousness of their weak but beloved General. George frowns.

"Have you further questions, fellow citizens, or may we continue tomorrow?"

• You mince words! Call it for what it is, malicious deception, sedition, corruption! Act behind closed doors, that the people may not see your plotting to take what is by right theirs! It is as Cyricists do, and Banites!

• Mathias nods, perhaps trying to calm the agitated elf some while agreeing to what he says

I admit I do not approve their practice, I would also call into question the fact that General Del'Rosa who up until recently was cloistered off from the public due to serious injuries is suddenly at their side and so willing to agree with them. As a man of Justice I find it a bit hard to swallow that goodly priests would conduct such affairs in a seedy way that would endanger their own agenda. This is not how most temples handle their affairs. Had they been open and honest from the beginning they would have my full support, but to do it like this does discredit their own motives. Though on the benefit of the doubt, I do still wish to hear the man and give him some credit for what he would do. Though I do wonder what the people think of this as well and wonder a bit further why the guards have had no issue with the so called priests doing this as well.

• The old elf responds sharply.

Priests! You mean those who interfered with the "census", applying divinations upon the people without their knowledge, for their own seditious purposes! The domain of perverts to do such things, not priests! They came under cloak and cover, not in the open, and conspired behind closed doors! Why? To grow rich and fat off of the people that they would deem to rule!

• Mathias nods to something Raryldor responds with

I must agree with the agitated elf sir, do not claim Divine Right unless your god or goddess will come here and proclaim you the rightful ruler of Peltarch. If that is the case I personally would love to see your god descend from the Heavens themselves and tell these people that you are her ruler, and not something said by priests in a time of war and confusion. If you want to earn the favor of the people, take the gods out of the matter and speak from the heart. It is the peoples favor you must curry, not that of the gods and the priests.

• Raryldor responds.

_"Divine Right", you claim. By whose gods? Cyric and Bane would claim to differ. I do not worship Siamorphe, or any of the gods of the nobles. Do you claim to be higher than me by your station, then? That your goddess proclaims you fit to rule over others places your theology among Fzoul and the Banists to the West!

You claim you'll appoint trained individuals; you do this from your own vast knowedge and experience tilling fields? When you were discovered to be of lineage, Delrosa and his men spirited you away for safekeeping like you were a fragile flower. And you claim you can lead the city against the hostile forces that overtake it? Have you hefted a sword even once in your life?

That they had to hide you away at all stinks of deception! You seek to replace the Senate and grow fat and wealthy in its stead? Nay, I say! The people deserve better than this, usurper!_

• Mathias steps up calmly with a more understanding point of view of a monarchy as he speaks in a calm tone.

Should you take over, what are your stances on the city taxes? What of the guards that have stood over the city and the multiple divisions. What changes would you make to better defend the Jewel and her noble people that just came out of a war? I think these answers may best assure the people of your ideals.

• George listens to the questions calmly, not seeming that surprised by the more heated tone of some. He turns to respond to Raryldor.

"For some reason or the other, the blessings of the Divine Right still course through my veins. I do not claim to know the will of gods, but I urge you to detect it for yourself if you can not trust my word.

I know not her reasons for it - I only know I will put the wisdom granted to me to good use, but only if the people of Peltarch will want it.

I would also take a moment to ponder my words when speaking of wars. It can be offensive to veterans when a stranger questions the sacrifices they've had to made."

For a moment, George glances in the horizon, lost in some distant memory, then turns to look at the gnome, smiling at her

"I do appreciate your positivity in the matter, miss. However whenever a new option presents itself, it is natural tendency of people to be skeptical about it. Such is the nature of men - even moreso those of older age. It takes patient mind to ponder through the varying tangets of the matter in question.

As for your question, the first order of business will be helping us relieve our dependency on the southern trade. With the cold snap taking over much of the lands, we need to find a way to increase the productivity of our farmlands. The basic needs for a man are food, rest and happiness.

I claim not to be an expert on the matters of agriculture, however there are many among the populace who are. Towards this end, I would form a council of advisors. Said council would advise me on the multitude of matters one would encounter as a ruler. I don't claim to be expert on every field.

The exact number of councillors I have not decided, but it would encompass the necessary fields of expertise to rule a city - steward, marshal, chancellor, spymaster, agricultural advisor, as well as a spokesman for the common, merchant and noble classes respectively."

One notable exception he seems to leave out of it is guilds, tough whether it's because he forgets it or not is up for interpretation. He then turns to Walter, nodding at him.

"That's a valid question my friend. The main advantage of monarchy is the continuous rule of those who have been trained in the position.. not those who have most money for a senatorial campaign."

The old man's expression becomes sadder now, as he considers Walter's question

"I have discussed the question with my wife, my only family. There are personal sacrifices we both must make should the will of people fall on the option of monarchy, and she will support me in the decision that must be made.

Rest assured, I will provide the city with a heir from the most politically favorable option to the city. Tentative inquiries have been.. have been made.. in the neighbouring countries."

George wipes his eyes with the back of his hand, then sits down to listen to following questions.

• Just off the boat from Norwick, Elessar spots the crowd at the rant stand, walks over and leans against a merchant stall taking in the exchanges *