New Whispers at the Fire

• Labur Strin arrives at the Grapevine Inn with an ale keg. He walks in provides the keg as a gift and asks to speak to the owner about a possible new ale program. He walks to the bar orders two ales and quietly waits.

• Great gouts of magic lit up the night sky as an airship was seen approaching Spellweavers Keep with hostile intent. The mages of the Keep protected their home with a barrage of spells, while the airship's artillery boomed. After a thunderous battle, the airship went down in flames, crash-landing at the crossroads where some eyewitnesses also report adventurers engaged in battle with an impossibly tall construct of womanly shape. The perpetrators of the attack, Peltarch businessman Oliver Holloway and his lady friend Quince Harkreath, were taken into Norwick custody, having miraculously survived the crash.

• Council of Moradin

Troff Legion's Corporal, Silver Chalice, and the recently returned serveant of Chauntea, Roy Bin, were seen exchanging words by the south gate, before leaving to explore the Rawlings.

It is said that both of them entered deep into hobgoblin territory and nothing out of the ordinary was found. It is also said that the hobgoblins were not pleased with the visit, but the two adventurers did not care too much for the goblinoids' opinions.

Plans were made for a new expedition to happen in the following days. The destination is yet to be determined, Aparently, the goal is to make sure nothing bad is happening under everyone's noses.

• With Hannibal's death, it seems the controversial Talbot Anderson has lost his only ally in Norwick. He was last seen getting on the riverboat due north alongside a number of northern adventurers, one of them an exceedingly vocal redhead who protested his forced exile at length to the surly guards. The villagers of Creel-razed Duskhaven, Anderson's original home, were allowed to stay.

• Word spreads of a party lead by Thorin Goldaxe went into the goblin coal mines carrying kegs. Later on an explosion could be heard, followed by mining parties of dwarves heading down that way. Hours later the original party led by Thorin returned, hauling several carts of coal.

• Word spreads around that the dwarfs make preparations for mining trips down to the goblin coal mines. It is being whispered that they aim to march in numbers, push back the goblins and gather the most of the coal they can for as long it will take them. Members of the Council of Moradin remain dodgy when asked about details.

• ... and not long after that, fiery red skinned wyverns attacked the town, beaten off by even tougher adventurers, and the hardened Raumviri guards of Norwick.

Can this town catch a break?

The adventurers headed out, and eventually returned with a massive wyvern's head, covered in red scales, smouldering in the rain. Timmot was said to be most impressed and distressed at the same time.

• The ground shook beneath the feet of the Norwickians during the gladiatorial contest, but not because of the mighty blows of the combatants, no!

Derro poured forth in a stream from underground, screaming about plans, some of them even making their way into the town proper before being beaten back by the town guards.

A stalwart crew saw to the problem, and defeated the insane dwarves, although one of their number came home in a bucket, and they were all looking the worse for wear.

• Rumors of a great evil taking hold in the collapsed tomb leading adventurers to delve into the depths to remove it. Many went in but a few were missing when the main group returned.
    It is heard that the Grandson of former Militia Lieutenant Cyrian Loreweaver, Linus Loreweaver, was among those present and not among the returnees. Some time later however he returned alongside two women, Blue and Autumn. It's said he stayed behind to ensure his companions safety but was killed in the process. The words 'Adventurer Killer' were spoken but the context not made clear. Was he killed by the adventurer killer or was he saved? Either way while Linus gave a lesson on group dynamics and when it is Ok to retreat from battle, the women Blue and Autumn seemed both in dark spirits.

• As days go on..goblin and hobgoblin heads can be seen mounted on the southern wall outside the gates of the city.

• A drunken slurred voice could be heard in the inn speaking loudly before stumbling out into the night. "Talbot sure showed em in the big farking city...killed over a score of them high and mighty asses......best thing we did was hire him.

• Rumours circulate that the Adventurers Mart has some new and limited edition stock that adventurers absolutely love, based on the steady traffic that the shopkeeper has received since word went out about their arrival.

Something about powerful items that can potentially explode?

Who knows?

• On a wet and rainy night, a halfling walks into town from the south gate, dragging three beholder corpses behind her. They float on a rope, creating a rather horrifying sight.

She seems to be somewhat pre-occupied as she heads towards the riverboat.

• Rumors spread quickly of a dwarf, obviously drunk, warning two presumably human females near the river boat dock to be careful in the Rawlinswood. His words were somewhat slurred and hard to understand but a few could make out the following:
    A large bugbear with an equally large axe nearly killed him.
    Clangeddin saved him by granting his life to continue.
    It's now in the near eastern Rawlinswood.
    They (no clue who was with him) were lucky to make it back alive.

Sometime later a shadow of an elf was caught a glimpse of heading southward. He disappeared in the darkness beyond the southern most gate but is presumed to have gone after the bugbear. After a few hours, what was can only be described as, a pack of wolves' victory howl can be heard coming from the eastern Rawlinswood.

The dwarf, nor the elf, has been seen since. There's no word if the bugbear is still out there or not.

• Alvi, in search of ash stumbled across several skeleton battling the hobgoblins in the rawlings. She watched for a bit... got bored and waded in.... was worth it... but these skeletons seems to be more problematic... and the cave in the rawlings wood is locked... looks like the hobbers have barricaded themselves in.... there were several skellys in the cave

• A bloodied dwarf stumbles into town heading straight for the infirmary. It seems he may have been mumbling and cursing about goblin casters and such in the Moldy rat Tribe cave.

• An Elven hunter, clad in muddy brown beetle-scale armor reports oddness in the Nars Pass, East of the River, just North of the Crossroads.

A Large tree, in the forest, wreathed in mist and etherial light, with a variety of animals, predators that do not normally rest together, reclining beneath it.

• The night immediately following the Duergar attack on the Dwarven Hold, a shadowed, heavily robed figure is seen moving around in the dead of night, talking to survivors from the attack. As the night progressed, whispers of wealth and security could be heard through the dwarven populace, and a number of dwarves are seen following and leaving the town with the robed figure, all the way to Oscura...

• A wave of consternation seems to go around the normally sleepy town of Norwick, with farmers complaining about things going missing, including cows and sheep.

Shiny things especially disappear, with the missing animals apparently still in place, simply invisible, and the shiny things going missing entirely

One guard who was known for being rather unpleasant gets his comeuppance when his pants disappear while he is on shift near the campfires

The only clue is some glittering dust left behind whenever things go missing...

• After much rest, and more than a few jugs of wine. Cormac Randolph returns to Norwick, and there too he tells his account of the siege in Peltarch. The saga begins with himself, a lone rider approaching from the south.

"..and as I looked across the sorry battlefield I couldn't believe my eyes. The Ogres' siege weapons had caused panic and scattering among the ranks of those heroes who had sallied out to meet them. All appeared confusing.. chaotic. Grrrhhh... what else was I to do? I drew my sword and blasted my horn to signal my arrival; and charged heedlessly into battle with the first beast I saw. One fell easy, the next I charged and was rushed from the side by an ally! He smashed my horse's skull and I was thrown, vulnerable and injured from the fall. I pushed myself up, and with sword and shield in hand, I rejoined the fight..."

His tale continues with an account of much blood and gore. He spares no detail in the savagery of his longsword and his axe; a great deal of self praise is given to himself and his battle prowess.

"...All at once, from the North I watched as a flaming boulder fell from on high; black smoke streaking from behind like the tail of some malicious beast. When I saw it land upon the great bear I knew as my good friend Uljas's wife, my heart became as stone. I raged with an uncommon bloodlust and charged the two Ogres nearest the smoldering ruin of my friend's woodland bride; and I stole their lives away..."

He gives an account of his journey to the higher ridge further to the northwest along the treeline, and of his daring and rage-fuelled thunderous approach to where the enemy siege weapons were positioned. He told the tale of his command over the battlefield and his great fury in this now very personal one man war. Embellishing greatly; but such is the life of a bard.

"...when I saw their ranks thinning and when they were the ones who had been thrown into chaos, I slung back my shield and brought forth my axe. T'was then that they knew death and doom was upon them. I issued many challenges on the field of war and all who faced me fell. When I finally lead the charge into their siege lines all Hell seemed to actually break loose! As each catapult operator fell a team worked at my back; when I finally reached the end of the line a great roaring explosion ripped through the line of catapults and destroyed them all! I leaped forth with the fiery blast and was carried far..."

His tale continues with obscene and gratuitous violence and bloodshed. The description of guts strewn upon the ground and skulls split with pouring brains is repeated often to delight the patrons of the various taverns he visits. He always ends his visit with a vigorous and celebratory song of victory. It goes something like this...

Victory! We fought hard and prevailed
    Brutally! We were fighting

Stormy seas! Rolling thunder, piercing hail
    Battlefield! lit by lightning

Eagerly! We filled the waves with enemies
    Hungrily! Ravens cawing

Home shore calls!
    We return on bloody seas

Twilight falls!
    Darkness crawling...

So pour the beer for thirsty men
    A drink that they have earned!

And pour a beer for those who fell
    For those who did not return!

Raise your horns raise them up to the sky!
    We will drink to glory tonight!
    Raise your horns for brave fallen friends!
    We will meet where the beer never ends!

No regrets! We went out to war and strife
    To protect! King and country

Victory! Honor those who gave their life
    Willingly! We will not grieve

So pour the beer for thirsty men
    A drink that they have earned!

And pour a beer for those who fell
    For those who did not return!

We will drink tonight!

By the time the chorus is sung for the third time, the hall usually is joining in with patriotic and battle-savage cheer. Especially in Norwick where Cormac's fame is perhaps greater...

We will drink tonight!

We will meet in Valhalla again!

...He earns his keep with tale and song, where the ale and wine are offered freely he stays longer -- but such is the way of Cormac that he keeps few friends, and travels often. Bleak and cheerless and without taking much personal merriment; and traditionally with no more warmth beyond what a jug of wine and a cheap woman can provide...

((Raise Your Horns - Amon Amarth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSlYyOebGn4 ))