Real life elf?

• Probably some of you already know of Melynda Moon, a girl that decided that she is an elf, and took surgery to look like it. Looking past all the nerdiness behind the idea of taking surgery to look like an elf, the result doesn't even look bad at all, so I thought I'd share some pictures I found for ya'll to see.

They're her actual ears after surgery. Here's a couple of images taken during the surgery process that I'm hiding behind the links for those that are most sensitive or are not really interested on seeing them.

Elf ear surgery 1
    Elf ear surgery 2

I'm actually curious to know what some of you think about this, both from a moral and from a cosmetic point of view. 🙂

• Legion

I wonder if nose fattening will every become popular- to make you look like a dwarf.

Or maybe tusk implants and nose removal to make you look like a halforc?

• @e5c9904a97=Clan:

Agreed all around…except genital piercing. zero sense in that, i say.

Hehe, the thing with that kind of piercing is that nobody will know that you have it… unless you want them to. 😛

• Agreed all around…except genital piercing. zero sense in that, i say.

• @8e52076a74=Clan:

@8e52076a74=Emerwyn:

If you think about it, even being a gamer was a taboo and frowned upon not so long ago. Ten years ago when you told some friends "not going out tonight, got a scheduled event in Neverwinter Nights", some would look at you like you were a weird creature, and your elders would think you were into some kind of satanic sect you badly needed to get out of, for your own good, because video-games were eating your mind and so much time in front of a screen would make you blind in a few months.

But nowadays, whose mother doesn't spend some good time playing Farmerama or posting stuff in Facebook on daily basis?

Times change, and that change has to start somewhere. Whether that change is good or bad… who's to say? History will tell, when it's objectively analysed in the future.

Theres a BIG difference though… I can be a gamer but I can also go to a job, the store, or anywhere in public and people don't KNOW what I do. "being a gamer" is not as obvious to friends or strangers as having plastic surgery and permanently changing the way your ears look.

That is true. These two things are very different in scope.

I was more remarking on the fact that humans are very adaptive to change given enough time. That goes for about any change, even though that change is sometimes met with general rejection. Wearing glasses. Rastafari hair style. Nose/navel/nipple/genitalia piercings. Homosexuality. All of those things were seen as nonsense or madness at one or another point by most "modern" societies. A lot can happen before we as society accept one or another change, and each one will freely choose to be more or less receptive or rejectful to those changes.

"Sharpening" one's ears perhaps looks distasteful to some people, and it can certainly affect this girl's personal and professional life, but ear stretching is already pretty accepted in the modern world, after it's been used for generations in some African tribes.

So what's Melynda Moon, a pioneer or a fool? We'll see. 🙂

• @0eaab7f467=Emerwyn:

If you think about it, even being a gamer was a taboo and frowned upon not so long ago. Ten years ago when you told some friends "not going out tonight, got a scheduled event in Neverwinter Nights", some would look at you like you were a weird creature, and your elders would think you were into some kind of satanic sect you badly needed to get out of, for your own good, because video-games were eating your mind and so much time in front of a screen would make you blind in a few months.

But nowadays, whose mother doesn't spend some good time playing Farmerama or posting stuff in Facebook on daily basis?

Times change, and that change has to start somewhere. Whether that change is good or bad… who's to say? History will tell, when it's objectively analysed in the future.

Theres a BIG difference though… I can be a gamer but I can also go to a job, the store, or anywhere in public and people don't KNOW what I do. "being a gamer" is not as obvious to friends or strangers as having plastic surgery and permanently changing the way your ears look.

• If you think about it, even being a gamer was a taboo and frowned upon not so long ago. Ten years ago when you told some friends "not going out tonight, got a scheduled event in Neverwinter Nights", some would look at you like you were a weird creature, and your elders would think you were into some kind of satanic sect you badly needed to get out of, for your own good, because video-games were eating your mind and so much time in front of a screen would make you blind in a few months.

• @ec0b60f687=Ace-of-Spades:

@ec0b60f687=M_O_B:

1. They didn't use to be… maybe she's a pioneer of elf ears like people who used to get tattoos a long time ago!

I'd disagree with this statement simply because tattoos have been around for centuries, hell…longer. They've been frowned upon in more recent times by "sophisticated" societies.

Well they were forgotten about for nearly a millenium in Europe and the Middle East since all the Abrahamic religions forbid their followers from getting them. Only since the 20th century have they come back, and they started off as being attributed to sailors, criminals, etc., but because of people getting tattoos in the 20th century they're now quite accepted today.

• @5a1ca8647f=Emerwyn:

@5a1ca8647f=Gonnar:

People is not born with pointy ears, and people is not born with tatooed skins.
    And she will never regret, I'm fairly sure of that 😃

Heheh, think of how many people had to regret tattooing the name of the love of their life across a whole arm, or even their back/chest, just to see how that eternal love ended abruptly when they got cheated on and left in the cold for someone else.

It's actually considered taboo in the Tattooing society to get the name of a girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband in a tattoo for that very reason. Family members, children, etc. are considered okay though. This probably isn't known very well outside that circle, so ill-informed naive tattoo enthusiasts often make this mistake.

@5a1ca8647f=M_O_B:

1. They didn't use to be… maybe she's a pioneer of elf ears like people who used to get tattoos a long time ago!

I'd disagree with this statement simply because tattoos have been around for centuries, hell…longer. They've been frowned upon in more recent times by "sophisticated" societies.

• @b1f84897b4=Clan:

There are 2 differences between a chest tattoo and Vulcan ears:

1. tattoos are commonplace in society. Its rare that they actually ahock anyone anymore.

2. you can put a shirt on and no one knows except you

Modifying your ears is somehi g that's harder to hide and obviously (this thread as evidence) an oddity that people find exceptional.

I think she has limited the scope of her professional life much more than someone with a tattoo. Perhaps she's fine with that. She seems too young to have made that decision already. :🤷:

2. Not exactly true... I have a chest tattoo and you can see it through white business shirts

Yeah she has maybe limited the scope of her professional life... people tell me that about my tattoos. But I bet she cares as much as I do about it... which is not at all.

• Legion

There you go.

Although she looks 14. I'd be asking for ID that's for sure!

As weird as it is, it's not as brutal to her looks as becoming a cat person or an anime girl is.

• Well, I look at it this way. Melynda Moon is 23 years old, and that means that she's old enough to bring new life into the world without anyone's consent, pilot a spaceship to Mars, or shoot an enemy of her nation with a rifle.

She just took some cosmetic surgery that looks like it might be reversible to some degree.

• Legion

@587817f66a=Clan:

I think she has limited the scope of her professional life much more than someone with a tattoo. Perhaps she's fine with that. She seems too young to have made that decision already. :🤷:

Yep.

In Australia you have to be over 18 to get a tatoo, but I'm wondering if that includes elf ear surgery?

• There are 2 differences between a chest tattoo and Vulcan ears:

1. tattoos are commonplace in society. Its rare that they actually ahock anyone anymore.

2. you can put a shirt on and no one knows except you

Modifying your ears is somehi g that's harder to hide and obviously (this thread as evidence) an oddity that people find exceptional.

• @3acf580ac5=Emerwyn:

@3acf580ac5=Gonnar:

Heheh, think of how many people had to regret tattooing the name of the love of their life across a whole arm, or even their back/chest, just to see how that eternal love ended abruptly when they got cheated on and left in the cold for someone else.

My old tattooist tattoos every girlfriend's name on himself, it's a weird matter of pride for him now haha.

As for the elf girl… it doesn't hurt anyone else, so she can be an elf all she wants!

• @5bbc21dc9f=Gonnar:

Acknowledging that there is a threshold for everything, and that each of us is free to choose where to set that threshold, I am of the opinion that if you only do things that pass the "what if tomorrow…" filters, you end up doing nothing. Might as well never fall in love either, just in case you end up heartbroken.

This elf-girl, I don't know if she'll regret it in future, but if I had to guess I'd say that she's quite enjoying the present and that for her that's being worth it.

• I see no difference between making your ears pointy edged, and tatooing yourself "LoTR" in your ribs.

• Legion

I felt I was a dwarf in a human's body… so I grew a beard. Much easier. 🙂

• I've heard of men or women being trapped in the body of the opposite gender, but to think you're a fictional race trapped in another body(/race?)? That's stretching things a bit I feel.

To each their own though. I find some body modification weird, but if it's what people want to do…it's their bodies. They do look pretty good...but you can achieve the same effect without permanent modification too.

...and, what Dwin said.

• I think she'll regret it one day when she grows up.