Crafted items question

• Ok,

So I have been looking over the crafted items sections of the forum….

There is a lot of info on how crafting works within the game and such. However, what I am looking for is an answer to the following which I have not been able to find yet....so I am asking here.

My PC would like to have a set of armor crafted for him, he wants armor with a lower Spell Failure %. Can such an item be crafted? or does it have to be enchanted? Are alternate materials as detailed in the DMG allowed? (ie. Mithril Armor has -10% SF)

What is the IG procedure for such an item to be made? either enchanted or crafted? I am talking about having it made for me, since my PC is not a crafter in anyway.

Do I seek out a crafter IG, or through the forum and discuss what I want. Will they then set a price? Do materials need to be quested for or purchased?

Any guidance is appreciated.

• Sad Trombone…...wat wat wahhhhhaaaa

Oh well...such is life......on this plane......

• Yup. Had a play around in the toolset and looks like it's physically impossible to put Arcane Spell Failure reduction on an item which doesn't give an Arcane Spell Failure % in the first place.

• I might be wrong then about stacking, Alas, you cant give spellfailure reduction to any item that doesn't already have spellfailure. Of that im fairly sure

• I see,

Well it seems to stack for me now…

As I have an item that does just that....I have full plate 45% failure rate. I also have a medium shield 15% spell failure rate. The shield is enchanted so that it has -20% spell failure.

When I wear both the armor and shield my spell failure is 40% (Shield is 15% -20% = -5%, Armor is 45% - the left over 5% = 40% ) or so it seems...

• No, that is not possible. Spellfailure is not stacking. Which means, it only reduces the spellfailure caused by the item it's enchanted at.

So if you have a full plate with 90% spellfailure, and you take a small shield with 5% spellfailure - but with a -30%spellfailure. Your spell failure we'll still be 90%.

• I have another question along the lines of my original inquire regarding an item that reduces the chance of spell failure.

Since the property of reduction in spell failure % is an enchantment, does that enchantment need to be placed upon a piece of armor?

OR can another non armor item be enchanted?

Example:

Could I enchant a ring or belt to give -10 or 15% to spell failure? If so, how would one obtain the item to be enchanted? Does a crafter need to make the ring or belt or whatever? Does it still need to be a "masterwork" item?

Thanks for any help…

• I have seen exactly one suit of Mithril in all my years, and somewhat recently.
    Whatever the crafted mithril is, this wasn't it.

This was, item wise, Padded Armor with +4 Armor to make it essentially Chainmail that had a Max Dex bonus of +8 rather than +4, dropped by a DM in an event. It was quickly snatched up an replaced by another DM with a +1 Chainmail (which made it useless to the person I gave it to) after I made some inquiries. Rightly so, but I think I understand what the creator intended.

So basically, I've never seen real mithril in game.

• I had a mithril dagger once, might even have it laying around somewhere. I only bring it up to confirm that the weapon had a +2 enhancement bonus. That was all. At the time I thought it was amazing, looking back now, it wasn't THAT spectacular.

• @1c91b52d88=Gonnar:

@1c91b52d88=Clan:

@1c91b52d88=ClownBaby:

@1c91b52d88=Clan:

Not to mention that crafted Mithril armor is not as good as crafted steel or silver.

Thats just silly.. And you call yourself a dwarf? 🙂

Do you own any crafted mithril items? Doubtful, or you'd know how disappointing they are from a properties standpoint.

I think this only works for armors/shields. Weapons made of mithril are deffinitely better than steel or silver. iirc mithril weapons are +2ab

that may be so… mithril armor (the topic of this thread) is horribly unbalanced compared to other precious/rare metals.

• @3b4a1703be=Clan:

@3b4a1703be=ClownBaby:

@3b4a1703be=Clan:

Not to mention that crafted Mithril armor is not as good as crafted steel or silver.

Do you own any crafted mithril items? Doubtful, or you'd know how disappointing they are from a properties standpoint.

I think this only works for armors/shields. Weapons made of mithril are deffinitely better than steel or silver. iirc mithril weapons are +2ab

• @b267af76a8=teflonbilly:

My plan is to stick with Full Plate or a higher AC armor bonus, because my PC's dex is low enough that he just wants max protection. I can live with 10-20% spell failure for the trade off of a higher AC.

I do have still spell as well, which will make it easier to cast the higher in level (and more spell slots) I am.

I will most likely start a search for either some masterworked armor to enchant or get enchanted, or drop some lines to see if anyone has some already enchanted armor that fits my bill.

There are a number of crafters that would be more than happy to sell you a suit of masterworked and enchantable armor. (I think Brass and above can be enchanted?)

MW Steel armor is great, Dwin wears MW Silver which was enchanted as well.

Adamantium truly makes the best crafted items IMO… my MW Adamantium battle axe was crafted and is quite nice.

I think that we/narfell inherited a more Tolkien-esque view of Mithril at some point as opposed to a Faerunian one. In LotR, Mithril is quite rare and exceedingly valuable (he jests that Frodo's chain shirt was worth more than the entire Shire itself). Over the years I feel that Narfell treats Mithril more along those lines than the way it is treated in the 3.0 books (my last reference point).

• @40b1b798c7=ClownBaby:

@40b1b798c7=Clan:

• "Make everything as simple as possible, yet no simpler."
    -Albert Einstein-
    Make things complex, then more complicated.
    -Narfell-

• @4bb6d63a0b=Fraoch:

We do have successful spellswords. I'm nor sure if they tend towards buffing before they suit up as opposed to casting during combat, or if they're using Still Spell.

–---

There's also an outside chance that someone has spell failure reduction armour sitting in storage somewhere, so an IC post could possibly yield a result.

There's a handful of spells without Somatic components that are useful in combat. My bard tended to use those.

It isn't all that difficult to get hold of some AC 4 armour with 20% spell failure reduction. I have two seperate characters that have such a suit, although one was issued by a DM the other a reward for a big event. There are also certain spellsword-esque guilds that offer such armour as a Guild item.

So in short, the easiest way to obtain the particular armour property you're after would be through DM events and/or Guild items - especially since it sounds as though finding Mithral is like finding rocking horse s**t.

• My plan is to stick with Full Plate or a higher AC armor bonus, because my PC's dex is low enough that he just wants max protection. I can live with 10-20% spell failure for the trade off of a higher AC.

I do have still spell as well, which will make it easier to cast the higher in level (and more spell slots) I am.

I will most likely start a search for either some masterworked armor to enchant or get enchanted, or drop some lines to see if anyone has some already enchanted armor that fits my bill.

• You could enchant 4/4 armour for no chance of spell failure but that's the most actual AC availble without failure chance. On that you could also have +1 to a specific save or +2 to a skill from making it a 9 point item, and get +1 save v acid or fire, or +1ac v abberations from your choice of base material.

We do have successful spellswords. I'm nor sure if they tend towards buffing before they suit up as opposed to casting during combat, or if they're using Still Spell.

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Still_spell

There's also an outside chance that someone has spell failure reduction armour sitting in storage somewhere, so an IC post could possibly yield a result.

• Thanks for the reply.

I was just curious…..do not mean to rock the boat. If it is because that is how the DM's wish to run Narfell and keep it as a rare item/low magic system...I am totally fine with that. The question is more out of curiosity than anything else....

I asked initially because I thought that some mithril armor would be a more attainable item to help lower my PC's spell failure chances.

• Well this is a flim-flam answer from me since these things will have been DM team decisions from years ago, but I can give you my best guesses. Also using 3.5 dmg since I don't have the 3.0 one.

On Rarity:
    An awful lot of it's down to Narfell being run on a lower magic base than pnp tends to gear wise. For example, DMG says you can buy a +2 stat item for less than the price of elven chain. In Narfell +2 stat items are very rare indeed. They can't be bought from a merchant or enchanted. Anyone with one most likely went through a lot of IC trial and tribulation to get it.

@bcf79e138c:

Mithral:
    Mithral is a very rare silvery, glistening metal that is lighter than iron but just as hard.

It says 'very rare' and is listed under special materials which the iron and steel aren't aren't. Adamantine's also listed in the special materials section and in Narfell it's even rarer and harder to work with than Mithral.

The only informative description of elven chain I've come across I think is from the 2E Arms and Equipment Guide which I don't have at hand and was probably casualty of lending it out to a player and forgeting. It went something like this:
    http://www.narfell.us/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=28469&&start=29
    If you look at Tincyatost in that post. There is one suit of elven chain in Narfell (nothing remotely like that, only referencing for the description) and I don't expect to see another one

On Properties
    I've never seen mithral/adamantine armour and Clan Dolvak will know better than me on it. For weapons I do know that mithral ones are better than steel, and adamantine better again. But again they're so rare that I've only seen one mithral weapon and have known of 3 adamantine ones.

Edit because Benji beat me to it again:

Masterwork Steel rocks. We can't do enchants to match its properties. If there's a problem with armour stats it's probably there as opposed to on the rarer metal armours.

• Legion

There is always the possibility of the DM team reviewing the traits of mithril armor and changing them. Given the rarity of mithril in Narfell I think it would be more likely that a mithril item would be created through a long DM run quest rather than through the scripted crafting system.