The Long Walk, a Black Lion's Tale.

• _It's been some time since I wrote, last.

I took a week long walk to clear my head, and returned to find the usual. People arguing, living, loving, fighting, banding together, targeting one another, everything.

If I've realized anything in my time here, it's that life goes on. The little things matter, but everyone has something different that they want, seek, fear, or aim for.

The Militia is in a bit of a tangle at the moment. I don't know when the last time Locrian was seen, I haven't seen Albryanna in some time either, and I haven't even seen Dwin in months myself, nor heard his name, until the discussion of Militia pay came up.

Pay has always been a bit of a toss up, since many of us only work as guards part time, while others from the town, or from outside, help bolster our defenses. Granted, it's not like being a farmer, or a mill worker, or a maid. It's not like being a cook, or a cleaner, or a smith.

Still, people want pay.

I get that. What I cannot get, however, is why nobody is willing to address the subject on their own. There was hemming and hawing, discussion and grumbling, even some threats to leave, but nobody really stepped forward and set suggestions for an actual fix. They made suggestions at first, sure, but nothing cohesive. No votes, nothing we could move forward with.

I probably overstepped by bounds, but I gathered as many guards and associated folk as I could, and called for a tally. Then I left, and went to the homes of those who were not present, and got them too, then made sure word was spread, so I could gather the desires of the Militia at large, over the course of the week.

Rain gave me a nod, and said she would leave it to me after that, so I either overstepped my bounds as a plain old guard, or she approves. Sometimes it's hard to tell with that one…

Locrian of course hasn't spoken up or showed up, so I have no clue what he thinks about all of it. I'm not too concerned, to be honest, but I do wish I had a better idea of what I'm doing.

I put forth the suggestions, I wrote them for the Chancellor, and now ... I wait. Let's see if I made a mistake in getting involved in this. I wonder what Ashena would think?_

• Sweat dots the page as Cecil leans over his journal by candlelight in the barracks. Bub the black cat, concerned, has nestled himself into Cecil's lap, and received an affectionate pat with a shaking hand. The hand is large, and crisscrossed with many scars from countless fights and the occasional accident, but the shake is unusual.

The sweat dotting the page is unusual for the chill night that the autumn air brings, even deep into the barracks, but nightmares have a way of doing that. This night, even the Lion Knight, as some like to call him, woke in a cold sweat from fighting an imaginary foe. Or was it?

Putting quill to page, the barbarian exhales slowly, calming himself as best he can, but calm will not come. Perhaps -after- the words have exorcised the shadows from his mind, will the shake subside…

_Sleep is very nearly a thing to fear now, it seems. I see it over and over again. The dwarven guard coughs, and in my dreams, I know what's coming, but I am stuck, watching myself go to pat him on the back, thinking it's nothing serious.

He faints, and I overstep my bounds once more, as usual of late, and order him to the healer.

I turn my back for a moment, and the sound RIPS through my head. The sound of a sodden cloak being ripped in half by a giant like paper… and then the chittering.

Long multiple jointed legs scurry, and I am surrounded. I am buried. There are so many! It's a good thing I don't fear spiders... they fall quickly to axe, sword, and boot.

I fear no spiders.

The red mess before me though, the one that was a comrade, and is now a shapeless, lifeless, nameless mess of bone fragments, viscera, blood, and gore ... it's no different than the results of countless fights I have won, and probably some I have lost, right?

I've seen enemies torn -completely- asunder from the Gods-enhanced strength of my strike with my greatsword, fueled by rage, and honed by training and determination ... but this, this is different.

My companion, fellow guard, friend, and ally... was a nest. Nothing more than a nest, for what? An instantly incubating egg of some horrific infectious monster? It happened so fast. Perhaps if there was time to see the problem, address it, hope for a cure or help ... then maybe, just maybe I would not feel like I had ice within my chest upon waking, and feel it's melt all across my skin like a sickness.

Today, I battled monsters. They were not the foes I struck with my blade, either.

I battled those that would fight by cunning and stealth from afar, whoever created this ... abomination! I fought their cursed creations. Was this the work of a mad wizard, or a maniac in the name of the thing they call "Science?"

There's the issue. Therein lies my fear.

I don't know.

Can this be put in the water supply?

What if I wake, and the entire down is dotted with red puddles, and the very ground -crawls- and -chitters- and -devours-?

I will fight, I will let loose a shout that will shatter bones, drive away enemies, and strike fear into the hearts of all who stand before me, and I will perish like a mortal, with a blade in my hand ... NOT as a breeding ground for nightmares.

Gods I hope this is true.

I should be writing about my wedding, but tonight, I am married to nightmares, and only they will sleep beside me this night, I can feel it. I've never before feared sleep. I've never before feared fear.

Come dreams ... bring what you will. The Lion's heart is mine, and I will face what you have to bring. Fear alone will not stop me. Black Lion, preserve my mind, strengthen my heart, and steel my shaking hand.

Please._

• Tonight, Cecil stands vigil at the gate alone. His journal is safely tucked away, and his sword is over his shoulder once more, his Lion-Blessed axe in his hands. The south gate is empty, save for him, and a badger playing in the grass nearby, unbothered by the huge man in the golden armor nearby.

He kneels, and before him is a strange pile of seemingly unrelated items.

A hunk of raw meat.
    A couple goblin charms.
    An apple.
    A half-poured out bottle of expensive winter wine.

His prayer is in Illuskan, quiet and unassuming, and sounds like more of a ritual than a prayer.

[Illuskan] _Black Lion, he who is ever in my shadow. I saw your sign, and followed your omen. I was able to act on it, and you were in my shadow as always. For this, I thank you. I share this meal with you, that I live to get to eat.

Your claws lent bite to my blade.
    Your eyes saw the foes that mine did not.
    You showed me the way to lead my allies, though we risked life willingly, and lost some, we were still victorious.

I share this meal with you.

The meat of a worthy foe, like a Black Lion of the deep, cruel and strong.
    An apple of this land, that I am happy to protect.
    The good luck charms of bested foes, may they serve me better than they.
    Wine from the homelands, from the iced grapes.

Sup with me, brother, friend, ally, and teacher.
    Accept my sacrifice, God and mentor.

I thank you. I am yours._

• _The report has been written. Loc's gold is finally in his locker. I'm alive, but not well.

The attack last night … was a disaster.

People trusted me, but I couldn't get things well enough in order to keep people alive. And that damnable Dwarf whose name I didn't even get, but kept getting in my ... well, he would have been in my face were there not a three or more foot height difference, fell too. Despite him being a jackass, I didn't want him -dead-. Guess his doomsaying about the gate being a deathtrap was what I've heard called a "Self fulfilling prophecy."

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It seems guilt has a taste.

What bothers me the most, is Ardent. She fell TWICE. The first time, a group of archers and probably a caster, targeted her in unison on her ledge. I was nowhere close, as I was trying to -be- a gate, right in the thick of things. I'm no Shallyah, I'm no Rath. I cannot stand alone against the Hordes of Bugbears and survive easily, or call upon Divine help reliably. I couldn't let them pass, though. This is my duty.

Others fell, including brave Ky, whose body we had to go get on a mad dash out of the gate. I've seen enemies take the bodies of our fallen before, and I wasn't about to let that happen again.

We lost the south gate, nearly lost the inner gates when a MASSIVE Bugbear ran right through us, knocking everyone aside, and their casters ran wildly through us like we weren't there, without a care for their own lives once their spells wore off.

Enemies would make more sense if they too, feared death. As it is, I cannot understand what motivates our enemies to attack us as they do. Are they that loyal, or is the penalty for coming back as the losing side, death, anyway?

We ended up having to make a counterattack. Re-take our gates. Ardent, Moonie, our new scout whose name I always goof up, and others went the long way around to execute a Hammer and Anvil maneuver at my suggestion.

Problem is, I missed the cue over the din. Moon had spoken into my head as she left, and I assume that was the signal. I have NO idea how that stuff works, so I'm pretty fairly sure it's my fault Ardent fell again when we didn't come charging out at their beginning the fight.

Victoria's word stunned them with Lurue's power, not once, but twice, thankfully, and we got there just in time to put many down before they came to their senses. It was too late for my friend, however, and I'm stuck thinking about what I could have done better. Too early, and we would have been massacred, too late, and she was.

The only answer is to continue to improve. Get better. Work with the militia, train with Victoria and Shallyah, and help Sir Roderick in his endeavors, as well as continue to clear the terrors out from under Peltarch when I can.

I always tell people I'm no hero, and that nobody needs one. What if I was one, and was able to defy death, and lead the charge the first time I thought I heard something?

Maybe I should try to become one.

Great Lion, what do I do?_

• _Two hundred.

This is not so big a number to me any longer. There was a time when I first came here, that having 200 gold in my hands tempted me to hit the road again, and live like a king for a while.

Seeing that a bathhouse pass to join Ashena in being clean and relaxing cost that much nearly made me faint.

There was a time when 200 small goblins would have made me flee.

There was a time when the idea of having 200 of my enemies driven underfoot til they were so much red paste and the occasional squeak would have seemed impossible.

Since those days, 200 is not so unimaginable.

So why the HELL is it suddenly so hard to find moonstones!?!?

Moon says that if I gather 200 of them, she has a grand surprise for me. I took to my task with fervor, and got …. 2. TWO.

I let one goblin survive the whole day that I spent killing them, searching them thoroughly. I would not be surprised to see crude drawings of me show up with x's for eyes, and daggers in my coal-drawing body.

I wonder if I can get somebody to write up a goblin ransom note saying that I'll ease up on the genocide for 200 moonstones? Heh ... yeah right. Back to the grind. Heeeere goblin goblin goblin ..._

• _Well, this is an interesting thought.

I just got finished talking with Mystic, and I realized something. I just might be crazy.

In the past week, I've been part of groups that did the following.

-Cleared the Sewers and Barrows rather thoroughly
    -Repulsed an attack on Peltarch's western tower
    -Defeated an orc leader and got his weapon as a trophy, once cleansed
    -Repulsed two massive gate attacks, each lasting the better part of a day or night, and coming in multiple waves
    -Acquired 4 displacer beast hides, and fought hooked horrors, skin dancers, and magic eaters, as well as said displacer beasts
    -Attended a wedding!
    -Cleared the lake, and eastern woods, as well as the graveyard with just me and Ardent, again, including disrupting what seemed to be an ambush

The list goes on… but still. All that this week, and I'm worried about parents?

Yeah. I might have taken one too many hits to the head.

I'm ready. Be it tomorrow or next year, dammit I'm ready._

• _I can't decide if I feel frustrated, silly, or justified in my ang- well, annoyance? What's the word for this, anyway?

I wandered into the sewers solo when I hit Peltarch today, since there was nothing going on elsewhere in the city that I could involve myself in, and I wasn't in much of a drinking mood. I'm trying not to touch my gold pouch til I give Loc back what's his. I'm sure I'll see him eventually.

The first thing I came across, oddly enough, was a Cult Priest. Red light surrounded me, and blood was rushing from my nose and ears, old cuts re-opened, and everything just -hurt- for what seemed like forever, but I'm sure was only a second.

Talk about seeing red.

Little bastard was hiding behind a gate, which didn't respond to my pulling or pushing on it, so for once, I decided not to break something down, and I waited for him to use a key on it around a corner, barely dodging around the corner in time to break his line of sight for the spell, his words clipping off with a frustrated curse word, as opposed to a proper curse.

I heard him beating on the gate, once, twice … after about the 10th ineffectual strike, I went in for the kill. I wasn't about to leave him there til some stronger pal of his broke it down, and they cast that crap on the guards above, or some less hardy adventurer. The pillars holding the gate left plenty of cover for him to keep him safe from arrows, or axes, too.

That left the gate.

I charged in, struck it down in two strikes, and managed to cleave him completely in half in two strikes. That golden sword sure can cut! I'll have to be sure to bring Ardent something nice again.

I cleared the rest of the area, and came around the back entrance to the room with the gate I broke, and Rath, Celia, and others were there before me. There was scarcely a "Hi Cecil" before I was being questioned about ... the gate.

The gate which costs 286 gold to replace when you go to the city hall with the woman you love because she "Talked to you already about breaking city property," even when she's proud of you for doing the right thing. That being paying for the damage, of course.

I can't help but think it slightly silly. Sure, there's some degree of sense to it, and I was told that they don't have a key to it, so it keeps above-ground safe from them, but I'm pretty sure I got around it by means of a few passages around the side ... but I'm not that great with below-ground directions.

Maybe I'll check into it next time I'm there. Still ... while I can see both sides of this picture, I'm still a bit annoyed. At the city, or the cultist, I think. I know Ashena was just doing what she's used to, and must as a knight of the order and a paladin and a city whatever she is to them ... so I'm not annoyed at her. Still ... I cannot imagine thinking about 'rules' all the time.

Action is what counts.

Right?_

• _Back from my walk, and little has changed. There are things I should have done before, like let Ashena know I was going, like let Norwick know I was taking a break, but there wasn't hardly anybody here in the ranks, and Ashena was busy. Still, I should have written a letter at least. I -did- learn to write for a reason, after all.

Upon my return, I made sure that Bub's stuff was in order, he's still healthy and happy as I knew he would be, and then went to the gates. Patrol would be in a couple hours, when dawn broke, so I figured I could start right back up where I left off.

I was not expecting Maria.

As she was headed home at about the same time I was headed out, she laid some protections on me, and when I say some, I mean -all of them.- Victoria joined me, and we walked south, then east, to find the Hobgoblins.

We didn't see any serious resistance, or anything suspicious, til we neared the Northernmost cave. It was then that we encountered quite a large group of Raiders, backed by mages, who all seemed hell bent on keeping us from the cave.

We made quick work of them indeed, and headed in, to more of the usual. The War Drummer has a sizeable force with him, but with Maria and Victoria's spells upon me, I was able to use my greatsword, the big golden one, and he fell in only a couple strikes.

I found out that they have a throne in there too. A big great ugly stone thing. With the blessings on me, and that great big sword, I said to myself that only the Lion is king, and split it in half with a single strike, to watch the two halves fall and crumble to the sides.

We headed home and chit chatted about things all the while, and were even joined by Nyda. Seems like a nice gal, she even re-mastered some old skills she had while she was out with us.

Then, to Peltarch.

Ashena, she was standing at the Commons when I arrived, as radiant and beautiful as ever, speaking with Celia, who was looking splendid in her Order armor as well. Rath arrived next with his … pet ... jelly. I =still= don't know that to think about that.

Ashena and I caught up for a little while before I left to write my report and get some more rest. It's amazing how tired you can get when fighting with so many spells, then having them drop off. You get used to it sometimes, I guess.

At any rate, I'm going to go rejoin Ashena outside, and see about those plans. If Aymon doesn't hurry, he won't have to worry about it at all._

• _Today started like any other day.

I fed the cat, Bub. I cleaned his area. I cleaned and polished my armor to it's mirror shine, and cleaned out my pack. I headed into town, then, satisfied that I could find something to do, and ran right into Locrian.

Locrian, Captain Vanishing himself was sitting about talking with Drelan, that sailor fella. I was referred to as youngblood more than a couple of times, which doesn't bother me, and then talk of promotion was brought up.

I did my best not to appear childish or -too- excited, but truth be told, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

Then I met Beourn's father. He didn't know about his son's fall, so I took it upon myself to be the bearer of bad news, to which he left immediately, presumably to go kill something.

Loc got a little pissed, since apparently he was a candidate for the Militia, and I "May have just lost his newest recruit." He thrust a heavy package of metal stuff at me, and said to go catch him, and give him those things, so I headed south, juggling my things until they didn't feel quite as heavy, and went to find him, only to be brushed off, and left standing there looking silly.

He should be fine, and I'll keep this stuff in my locker til I come across him next.

It was shortly after that, when Locrian found me, and said that we should do some crypt-stomping, just the two of us.

I agreed, and off we went.

We make a pretty good team, Locrian and I. I took out those pesky ghost things while he held back a guard and a few stinking strong zombies, which I helped him take out as soon as my smaller foes were dead. We grinned, we roared, we laughed, we bled. Locrian is pretty single-minded in battle, focused, and not a terrible lot like the Locrian I see everywhere else, except between battles.

Before too long, Mei found us, one of our greencloaks, and she joined us. She had made mention of possibly leaving for a while, taking time to think, and Loc grunted, before we moved on to bigger foes.

Loc and I, with Mei to the side of us, took on Hildegarde and all it's friends, got spelled, stabbed, slapped, and slimed, but ripped apart our foes one by one, and made it downstairs with only slight injuries still. I was feeling great, since I had done quite well up to this point. There's nothing like knowing you're improving!

Next, giants. He had intended to pick up the new Dwarven fellow some armor from the Dark Priests. What we found instead, was giants with the priests, as usual. I think it was the usual number anyway…

The priests got a spell off on me and Loc each I think, but we stood there calmly til it was taken care of ... or rather, I stood there during mine counting the blows raining down on me, and watching things with dimming vision. I just needed that one second. JUST long enough to get that potion... and I did. A Heal potion cured me up, and I resumed the fight, taking some of the pressure off of the two of them.

It didn't help Mei. Not long after I regained use of my limbs, she took a hard hit that looked like it was to the back of her neck, and sounded like it was a hit to a cracked longbow, and she dropped at once. My balm did nothing, so I resumed the fight, two giants and a Dark Priest still menacing us, and Locrian looking far worse for wear by the minute.

I managed to take out the priest with Loc by my side while the Giant swung wildly at me, and I got to return my attention to him only after the priest stared at me from his split head, eyes locking with mine from other sides of the blade in accusatory hate, distracting me from the giant long enough to take another hit.

Loc slid by, clearly moving off to take a potion or two, and then things got ugly. He got hit, and nearly knocked down. The giant pursued him, despite me hacking at it's legs, and Loc ... well, he stopped. He tripped, or faltered, I didn't see what happened. He probably tripped on the body of one of the things we killed, but with a defiant roar, he went down under one of those crushing blows, leaving me alone with two dead companions, and an angry, successful giant that had just slain my Captain and my recruit.

And he was blocking the way, successfully.

Luckily, I'm a big guy, I hit him, swore at him, and shoved past, taking a hit to my shoulder that nearly made me drop my axe, but I got by. I got enough distance to take two potions, Greater Bull's Strength, and Greater Endurance, which I had been saving for a special occasion. Saving Loc's and Mei's bodies from those necromancer freaks definitely qualifies, I think.

I strode back, praying to the Lion as I went, and scraped my axe on the wall as I turned the corner to get the giant's attention, who was examining Locrian as if expecting a trick. He looked up with his beady little eyes full of interest and malice, and came bellowing at me. I roared back, sunk my axe in him, and proceeded to trade blows back and forth with this towering creature.

FARK that hurts.

The bastard made a mistake of turning his back on me, so I buried my axe in it, and removed his head for him as a courtesy, before picking up Loc and Mei, leaving their belongings behind when I heard another giant come forward, probably to the death cry of his kin.

Thank the Lion and the Moon for Moon. She showed up, likely thinking to train on all the scary critters down there too, and helped me dispatch that last giant and recover their things, before getting me safely back to the surface.

This is NOT how I wanted to get that promotion!

Now I sit here with an ale that's lost it's flavor, a recruit that has fought her last fight heavily on my mind, and a Captain that is taking his time coming back.

The healers say he hasn't refused, but is waiting. I suppose a vacation is deserved, but I can't help but fear that every day he is gone is a day closer to just losing him. I don't know how long you can stay in the fugue, to be honest, but I'm sure he'll come back.

He has to.

Right?_

• _Here I sit in the Grapevine, enjoying the refreshing coolness of a chilled ale, but I can hardly taste it.

Grim thoughts are on my mind, so I had might as well pick up where I left off, before I catch up to present.

I was in the barrows with Ashena, and I think Victoria and another couple folks … heh, this is harder to remember than I thought. I do remember the other part though. The creatures were all around. Profaned Wights? Ravagers? I was holding them off, Victoria's spells aiding me, Ashena striking at them, when more came.

Scores of their kin had fallen to us, my Black Lion biting hard into their hide, but this time we lost our momentum. I had been successful in holding to an old adage I learned on the road. "Sometimes the quickest way to kill an opponent is to cut through the man next to him." I had managed it against several, and some were even wary to get within range of my axe until now, before one of them finally locked eyes with me as he grasped by axe-arm.

The world spun, before righting itself. I was still on my feet! It earned an axe-chop to the face ... but it was clumsy, and I swear it grinned. Something was wrong, and I knew it. I risked a glance back, and Ashena was getting healed. Victoria was striking at a foe just after, and thankfully the attention of this one and his allies was on me. I could give them a moment... there, my chance!

I fell back slowly, keeping my shield up, and staggered. Somebody reached out to steady me ... and the world spun again. It wasn't one of mine, and the touch took more from me again. I couldn't think straight, I remember wondering briefly why I was moving ... and another hand gave me a little push. Again, that feeling of vertigo, then the cold stone on my cheek. Wait, stone?

It didn't hurt. Not in the traditional sense. My body was mostly unharmed in fact. Something inside though... there's a feeling when you are killed. I used to be unfamiliar with it, but I fell twice in the recent months, and there's a hole inside now that I've only just begin to refill.

That hole stretched wide, like the well of souls in Oscura. I felt that scream inside, then a tremendous rush of not-wind, it -felt- black, I saw red, then I was blinking against the muted not-light where Cassius and the Skeleton were beating on each other for some imagined offense or another.

I was there for a time, I don't know how long, drawing Lions in the sand and praying for guidance. Why did he not come? Is three times too many? If it was my time, I would go, but I would ask one boon. I would see my Ashena once more before I go to the Hunting Plains of my fathers, or wherever else the Lion sends me.

Her face was there, then. Her arms around me. I had gotten my wish, my goodbye.

Her armor was surprisingly cold on my ghostly face, and I opened my mouth to speak, to find it dry, and full of the taste of the barrows floor. "Being a ghost sucks.", I thought. It took me moments to figure out that I was being told to pick up my pack, and hurry. The creature that ripped out my soul and claimed it for it's own had been felled, and my soul returned to me, instead of leaving back to the Lion, or elsewhere. Thank the Gods!

I truly do have the bravest companions on Toril's cracked shell. They risked the fate they saw me fall to, to ensure I could be saved, brought home, and brought back.

Facing down the giant the slew Captain Loc was the least I could do._

The book is closed while Cecil finishes the ale, a grim expression on and off his face again while he thinks. Locrian had still not returned to life, but the Healers assured him that he had not refused, he was just … being Locrian. Cecil supposed that even Locrian deserved a break once in a while, and shrugged, getting up to order a meal. His journal was left open on the table while he spoke to Kresha a moment about Loc, and brought back his food, staring at the page for a bit before deciding what to write. Yes, it would probably be a good idea to re-live the battle, especially given what he learned from it.

It could wait for a meal though. If Loc could wait, so could he. For now.

• _It has been a busy couple of days, and I finally finished a nice long patrol after coming home from the sewers of Peltarch. Thanks the Gods for some rain on the way back, Tempest almost wouldn't let me ride!

I suppose I should try to keep this in order of events, so first, Sir Roderick.

Sir Roderick, or Sir Sandwich as I like to think of him, had requested aid some time ago, some time after his rescue from the hands of Bugbears. I had a part in that, and we have gotten along well, since. Hells, he even wears my half-plate that I sold him still.

He had several artifacts of a sort with him when he was ambushed, and he needed some more items to fix them, and make parts for what they all combined to create, or were pieces to.

Copper to begin with, which he finally got enough of.

This couple of nights ago, was the time to meet to recover three items from the camp near where he was taken, which just so happened to be in a wood that messed with your mind, somehow.

Luckily, (I can't believe I'm saying this) Bugbears and Orcs were frequenting the area, and apparently warring in it. The good part of this, was that they knew of the mind issues, and had stocked supplies of Mind Blank potions, which we came across after a few close calls.

We wandered for quite a ways, with only the frequency of these caches to guide us, and dire animal to bite us, before we found foes. Bugbears, and plenty of them in some places.

Albryanna had gone to get a few potions from a nearby cache, as she had run low, and Moon wasn't in sight, so when the Bugbear Battleragers appeared, I couldn't run. They would have gotten everyone else.

I thought I was going to make it at first, able to dodge their attacks and shrug off a couple, when I dodged INTO a downward swing.

I woke not long later, feeling terrible, another sucking hole where there is no actual wound, but feels empty. That's twice, now. Twice I've fallen, failed, and been left there by the Lion, to learn from my own mistakes I guess. The time before was on the treasure hunt.

It's hard to tell myself that it'll get better, and soon.

Regardless, I kind of have to try, right?

We picked me up, and resumed. The fights got worse, archers harried us while waves of smaller bugbears charged, interspersed with the occasional sneak or caster. Tensions were high from the constant need to take a mind potion, and the risk of an allied arrow in the back, or sword in the gut, should somebody run out of potions or not use them when they needed to.

We had just fought through another big group when we found him. A long Bugbear, obviously a leader of some sort.

Since I was named leader for some reason, I told the others to lower their weapons when he laid down his. I got the information we needed after I introduced myself, that the Orcs had ambushed them, and retreated to the one place the Bugbears hadn't run them out of yet. The caves.

I let him go. Bitsy frothed at the mouth. I had him show me the nearest potion cache, and it … was... enourmous. He got away free, and said that he would remember the deed, and we continued on. I knew I had done the right thing. Not the good or bad thing, the right thing. The thing most likely to get everyone else back safely.

Bitsy may well hurt me for it later, but she stopped when I gave an order, and didn't even proceed to complain about it after that. Not too much, anyway. Well... not unbearably much.

We then began to cut through orcs, finding pieces of the equipment Roderick needed as we went. I put them all in a box with my spare cloak, wrapped up safely as we found them, and orc-blood ran all over the cave as we powered through it. We did well, with only a couple close calls. I suppose the Bugbears made the orcs look like goblins.

We pulled it off, short on patience, harried and hounded, bleeding and bruised, only to find the Bugbear again.

Waiting.

Bitsy had mentioned that she expected him to come back with reinforcements.

She was right.

Hah, if you're reading this I know what you're thinking.

They escorted us safely back without incident. Didn't expect that, did you?
    Perhaps you did, if you've read the rest of this thing, now that I think of it...

Roderick divided his old possessions, and those of his companions among us, and I got a chain for a belt, with a magic lock on it that protects the wearer!

Anyway, we all made it back, though me and another lost a bit of ourselves along the way, and Roderick and I had a long talk afterwards.

Looks like there will be more to do. Next time I sit down to write, I'll have to write down what it felt like to have my soul pulled out a piece at a time. For now, I'm tired, and the memory would be too much to stay awake through, I think.

I can still smell Ashena's hair. I will sleep well, I think._

• _It's no longer funny how the smallest things can make my whole day. I laugh anyway, but it's the happy sort of laugh, like finding a bottle of ale in your boot instead of a snake. Startling, unexpected, but perfect.

Compliments on my armor at the fire, and immediate mention that Ashena speaks to others of me often, and fondly, are enough to make me smile til the next sunset or two alone. I'm surely soon to be known as the Grinning Guardsman or something silly, I'm certain of it. It takes about a day for one of the usual suspects to latch onto something I do (Or Ashena does) and find a way to tease me about it.

I think I've grown fond of it. Cecilcecilcecil indeed!

There was talk of promotions thrown about recently, and even more startling, Aramuil waxing poetic (New phrase, I think I like it) about the perks of nobility, and the possibility of knightings. It's all a silly dream, especially from Aramuil in the land without a King that is Narfell, but it's a nice though.

Sir Roderick, or Sir Sandwich as I oft am fond of calling him, has invited me to learn more of his 'knightly' order, known as the Stee. I only now just realized that I may very well be able to get a few things out of Val about it, too. If anybody around here knows, it would be her.

He said they were a scholarly knighthood of sorts, knights in name only or something, but … well, the thought of more knowledge intrigues me. It always has, I suppose.

I speak the trade tongue of Damaran, Common, and the language of my home. That's two languages more than many of my kin. I have learned some lore of the lands, how to identify certain kinds of items, and have even been to some of the places here that some people still think are the stuff of legends alone. Granted, I also died in one of them... but that's quite beside the point by now.

Speaking of points, I cannot help myself when enjoying an ale or a meal and hearing a plate-clad person approach, from thinking that it might be Aymon. Thinking that it might just be time for that talk.

I am no longer afraid in the least. My shyness got in the way before, but there's really not much reason to be shy anymore. We proudly enjoy each other's company in the open, and speak more candidly, though she still turns that cute rosey color in the cheeks when people look at the two of us and make comment.

I don't think I'll ever tire of that!

I look forward to the day I meet Aymon for that talk. I do not fear the possibility of being tested at arms, even weakened slightly from my fall as I am. I do not fear judgement at the hands of her Order, her Family, or her friends. I -am- all the things she thinks I am, and I will prove it.

Granted... it sure would be nice if I could get hold of Locrian and tie him to a post by his leg until he promoted me or something. It couldn't hurt.

Much._

• _Things are both slow and hectic lately, and I know not what to make of it, so I went to ask the Lion. I didn't need an answer, but I had to ask, really.

The answer awaited me at the gates.

Val had gone on a trip, and I had just returned from a long walk, skirting the edges of Narfell for a couple days, before heading back, only to find Bill at the gates, with a guard having escorted him there to look for me. Perfect timing, I think.

Bill was tasked to stay with me, and perhaps learn more about what I do, while Val was away, so I happily took him to the inn for a nice hot meal until the dawn came, before heading on patrol.

A simple spear and a small shield did nicely for him, and kept him out of trouble on the walk through the ruins, which impressed him thoroughly when he took a jab at his first echo, a moment before it fell before him, the two of us having flanked it well.

His limp and shaky grip on his armaments made it a slow walk, and for awkward fights, but we took it slow while I explained all that I know of the area, just like when I come across travelers who are new to the lands. He is quick to learn, and eager for a story, and seems in higher spirits than before by far. I am hoping that Val returns with a story or three that will lift him further, and perhaps help pull him out of the depression that takes his face when nobody is looking.

The lake was blessedly quiet, with only a few of the usual goblin rabble about, so we took the time to catch a few fish while we chatted. It was mostly me talking, of course, but he seemed happy which was what mattered anyway.

I admit, I caught myself glancing about for Ashena more than a couple of times, as she has a knack for arriving at the most random moments, but alas, I did not see her today either.

It's been several days, but I still have the memories of our last visit to keep me company, and the things we spoke of. I am now grinning at this book like a loon, and Bill seems to have awoken from his nap and is looking at me strangely, so I'd best put this up for now.

I wonder how Val is doing._

• _Alright Me (Cecil), or whoever is reading this. What I cannot really tell others, can go here I guess.

This hurts.

I can actually kind of understand why Ardent felt so desperate to recover 'herself' after her fall. This is a little bit painful in ways I didn't expect. It's not like an injury, it's like a scar. You forget it's there til you try to push yourself as hard as you did before.

I have a tremble in my hands now, for the moment. It comes and goes, and is only noticeable when I'm holding a fork, or a bottle. Swinging an axe or sword hasn't been an issue though as I just mentioned, I can't push myself quite as far.

It's alright, though.

My friends brought me back to my feet, more than once in fact… but the one time I saw a place that was well lit, despite there being no sun in it's not-sky. A Skeletal fellow hovered nearby watching us calmly, if his boneless face could really portray such. There was someone else in the distance, who seemed winged, but I did not feel drawn to him.

I stayed put, and said a quiet prayer of thanks to the Lion that I hadn't ended up cast into some abyss, or someplace where I would be lost and confused. No, this was better, to have solid surroundings, and a good grip on what happened.

I don't even know what got me this time... statue? I think so...

At any rate... we did it. So why am I so confused? No, that's not the word. The word, I think, is conflicted.

I've seen people blinded by lots of things. Love, lust, dirt, wind, rain, spells, night, bright light, you name it. The strangest of all of these things, however ... is honor.

I've seen Paladins face foes they had no chance against, and now I've seen warriors (And mages) try to provoke a needless fight against something when there was another way out... but that's understandable except for one thing.

I should explain the rest, first.

Somebody found a note, a treasure map made of riddles, it seems.

I'll have to put it in here sometime.

A group of people I know, and some I didn't before, were out treasure hunting, and I happened across them when I was off-shift looking for something to do, since many of them had a GPS on them. Gods this little scroll is handy.

I was curious as to why people were out near Jiyyd, so I paid a visit, and was part of the adventure when I arrived, landing us in Mintas, and finding treasure stashed. Granted, it was gold and potions, but it was enough to get everyone excited about the prospect of the next, bigger find. Myself included.

We lost a few people here or there, especially on the trip where we encountered Slaads. That was ... nasty. I wish when I said bad words, pillars of blinding power struck at my enemies, too!

Anyway, we apparently had found all of them but one... which was in the Lost City. It's not lost in the traditional "Where is it" sense anymore, since several in our party knew where it was, but it was definitely lost to the creatures and powers that decided to occupy it. Hells, the statues that came to life in there alone were enough to discourage me from ever visiting with anything short of Shallyah and an army.

She's a monster with those axes.

That brings me up to the current thoughts I can't shake.

The one who left the maps, who guided us along occasionally, who engineered the whole thing, had appeared to be a hin. As our adventures progressed, some others became convinced that he may be a dragon, especially once he spoke to those dragon statues, and made them jump off the edge and away from us, then jumped off himself, into what seemed to be a sheer drop.

Well, we found him, in front of the last chest. Then he turned into ... what else, a Dragon. A red one.

We had been told to prepare for fire, and there it was, fire incarnate. (New word for me. I like it!) Something was wrong though... Now let me get this out there, now. I'm no bard. I'm no scholar. I'm no researcher, or wizard, or genius by any means. I noticed something though, that took no effort past a simple observation.

Maria and Shallyah were angered when the "Dragon" said that it would give us it's "hoard" but wanted something more in return, even though we had earned our final reward by fighting through the ridiculous challenges that we faced. It would settle for 1000 gold each ... or, OR, a set of snazzy clothes.

Yep, it wanted fashionable clothing, in exchange for it's treasure, or some gold to take away, since it was giving away what it already had.

Shallyah and Maria would not 'bargain' with an evil creature, especially one that they said had not honored a deal, and were -very- ready to take on this large creature right then and there.

I did not speak up until later, after Walter had spoken to it in it's tongue, and it had told us to calm down, there was no need for fighting.

I was almost apologetic, and was not seeming to want to fight us at all, but not out of fear. It seemed... inconvenienced, like it had misspoken and accidentally gotten us riled when all he had wanted to do was tell us good job, get some clothes, and be on his way, even offering us a chance to ride on it's back to get out. That, was tempting to me... but not just for teh chance to ride a dragon.

No, it's because I for some reason became certain that it was NOT a dragon. At the very least, it wasn't a red... but I finally spoke up. I didn't think it would hear me until it turned those molten looking red eyes on me, and turned it's entire immense bulk to face me.

I told it, "I don't think you're really a dragon at all. Not that you are less than one, I mean... you're just something altogether different, or more. " I babbled something like that, and earned it's attention, and those scales around it's sword-like teeth curled up into some kind of grin, when it acknowledged me.

"Clever Boy."

It wasn't acting like the dragons from legends. It -certainly- wasn't acting like a red, greedy and evil. At the VERY least, calling it not a dragon should have left me a smoking pile of ash... but none of that happened.

I was right, and it told me so.

I have NO idea still exactly what it was I was talking to, but something is out there that is strong enough to convincingly become a dragon, engineer these tremendous challenges in horrifically dangerous places, and afford to give us a large amount of treasure, including a ludicrous amount of gold. It also has a sense of humor, and is very intelligent, with a penchant for games.

What -DID- we encounter?

Regardless, I find myself thinking of Maria and Shallyah. For all Maria's vast knowledge, and Shallyah's superb grasp of tactics and strategy, neither one clued into anything but the big red thing in front of them that needed to be killed. I don't want to judge them for this, but I can't help but think that ... if I figured it out, why didn't they? They are both way out of my league in many aspects, but were blinded, as if by dust or sand or treasure's glitter.

I thank the Lion for the gift of patience, and the ability to think clearly he has granted me, and hope that it continues to serve me as it has. "Clever Boy. " Somehow, I think that compliment is going to stick with me a while.

Now, it's time to go see Ashena, and see how she's doing. I want to tell her about the adventure, my mishap, my discovery ... and yea, I want to show her the armor I got from Victoria after the treasure split, and how I designed it. Ardent approved, since I made them model it to the clothing she made for me, and now I wear it over that. Heh, the usual crew will give me no rest I am sure, for this truly looks like a hero's raiment. (Another new word. Hanging around Paladins can be informative! )

Now to slowly work back up to strength, and seek out my next task. Aymon, I will talk to you soon._

• With a sore wrist from making this third copy… Cecil places one of his reports into his journal for safekeeping, or some other more obscure reason.

@bd63a48b78:

_Report:

I spoke to a few new faces around the gate today, one of them being this fella whose name I only learned after I arrested him, Inick. He's an elf, youngish looking for an elf, with black hair. Describes him in more detail

We spoke a great deal about Narfell, and he even seemed interested in keeping watch at the gate, and asking questions about being a guard, so I took him on patrol at dawn. He did a fine job keeping himself out of too much trouble all through the ruins, but started getting erratic when we found gobs. Threw himself right into them.

I jumped in, and wiped out everything around him, nearly clipping him while he was trying to use his swords as scissors on a gob, that fancy dual wielding business. He apologized, and said something about getting a little bloodlust, which I understand. Northern berserkers do the same thing.

His apparently creeps on him or something.

We killed some more gobs, and I didn't think anything of it at the time, but I remember him saying that it was "Fun to watch…" with a little bit of a funny look.

Again, I thought nothing of it. One goblin's club nearly broke his arm, so I wasn't too worried about him losing it on me.

We continued back, and made it all the way through the rest of the echoes, pigs, and an errant zombie, when he stopped, and stared at me like I was a talking steak. Then he lunged with those swords of his, so I backed off and told him to knock it off.

He bounced a sword off my shield, so I used my knife, and clubbed him in the noggin with the hilt after punching him in the chest. He went down, and I backed off a bit more to let him get up, and ask him what the fark he was doing.

He laughed, said he couldn't control himself, laughing again, and took another stab. Then he took a nap.

I carried his ass back to town, and had Chea check him for magicks since her and Belia were at the gate. She found none, so I slapped him awake, and questioned him, finding out his name, though he claimed he followed no God. I mentioned jail, however, and he started crying out to Ehlonna, and sobbing.

Apparently, he doesn't like the idea of jail.

He's in there now, I put him in myself. He either needs to be fixed, kept in there, or watched constantly. He reminds me of that Sogar git, the priest of Garagos. Were it not me, but somebody smaller or easier to kill, he would have had his blood, and we'd have a dead person.

At any rate, that's all I've got. Do with him what you will._

• An entry begins here, and is clearly scrubbed over with the coal pencil, then wiped mostly clean, and written over again. The rest follows.

_Well, so much for needing to walk off to calm myself. Albryanna followed me, making me feel at first like I was being some petulant child for walking off just by -being- there, but she did not say or act like any such thing was the case.

I explained myself with little prompting, and I don't really know why. Perhaps it's something about her that I was smitten with when I first arrived, perhaps it's the very high regard I hold her in now. Regardless, I (The word AM is scribbled out) -was- unsure of myself after the incident with Rass at the gates.

I should probably explain.

I went on patrol with a bunch of the usual folks, and some faces that are new to me, and took my usual peek south of the lake to see if anything was stirring.

We took a few shots at the nearby goblins, and were about to leave when Albryanna I think, joked about seeing something. When I said "Where" she said that there was nothing, teasingly, when the distinctive "Thrum" of a bow and the wet "Smack" of an arrow sinking into flesh was heard… right behind me.

Ras looked surprisedly at the arrow in him, and wasted no time firing back at the bugbear who grinned tuskily at us from near a tree, before sprouting a nice suit of feathers of his own.

We stood around kind of stunned for a moment, passed a few jokes about it, and basically waited to see what would happen next, which was of course, more arrows. I dashed forward to get in their faces, only to get an arrow in the shoulder, and I jogged back to pull it out so I could swing my axe properly, and waited that moment for them to take their eyes to the threat of our own archers, before coming back.

One of them was sprouting feathers quicker than he could fire them by far, and the other was having trouble choosing his target, and seemed torn between shooting me as I rushed at him, and loosing an arrow at the archers harassing him. He picked me, and missed, which he obviously wasn't planning on, and looked torn yet again between whether to run, or take me on.

Too long deciding, he took my shield to the face, right after an arrow hit his bellow, sinking deep. He went to his knees, bent over to pull out the arrow, and lost his head for the effort. It was like a formal execution, and gave me enough time to turn to strike the other one as I stood fully back up, but it was unnecessary. The Bugbird fell over, utterly full of arrows, glaring at me in his last moment.

Jerk.

I was out front when the backup came, though it wasn't very impressive. Apparently, even bugbears have grunt troops, runty Bugbears in comparison who swarmed out at us, and caught me in the middle of them, and Albryanna was at my back immediately, which of course ended up in a ring of dead around us. A few more warrior types followed, and in the calm after the carnage, we decided to fall back, since it seemed they were ready to move, and could be flanking us or trying to cut off our retreat to the town.

The latter was right, as the broken statues south of Norwick bore witness to several sneaks ambushing us, and bleeding for their trouble, though I admit that time I sprung a few leaks myself, too.

We made it the rest of the way back without incident, stood guard, and talked amongst ourselves while waiting for an attack that never came. What did come, however, was a deer that behaved most strangely. We had traps out in front of our line, and a deer that was pacing back and forth, glaring strangely. I'm no woodsman, but a deer that paces inches from a line of bloody warriors strikes me as peculiar.

Then... it walked off, directly in a line to both traps that were set. It looked nothing short of deliberate, and my gut feeling was screaming that something was wrong, despite everybody else joking about it.

I said to kill it, but Ras and Belia were near it, and nobody moved to act. I have seen possessed animals, vengeful animal spirits, and druids that could change themselves into animals or control them. I've even seen animals sent to the gate to explode. I wasn't about to take a chance. I shot the deer dead in a few shots, earning me an arrow in the thigh from Rasuil.

The bastard SHOT me, and then got in my face, asking how I liked it.

No questions why, and I suspect he didn't listen to my reasoning, either.

I'm no woodsman. I'm no mage. I can't gather if something is magicked, or possessed, past watching what it does. What I do know, is that assault of a Norwick guard is a crime, and this isn't the first time Ras has gone off and shot someone he shouldn't be shooting, even in play like with Maria inside the gates. I almost got shot that time, too.

Little shit like that, I could generally care less about. I refuse to pull a Loc, and go beating people up for minor infractions, or fining people without a warning. I won't be a bully.

Where, however, did I cross the line that it's suddenly okay to shoot me over a disagreement, without any worry for reprisal? Granted, I wanted to hit him back, hard. Redcloak or No, I would have taken it off if necessary. Surely my caution wasn't reason to get shot, right?

I didn't even raise the question of shooting a guard, since Albryanna didn't react, either. I just got in his face, and told him to do something about it if I was such a Malarite or criminal that I deserved an arrow.

He did nothing, of course, which just pissed me off more. I'm honestly surprised I didn't lose my cool. Perhaps Ashena is rubbing off on me more than I thought, or I've really just gotten past the inability I used to have at controlling my anger. Who knows.

At any rate, I told Albryanna everything I was feeling, and she explained that doing what I had been doing was working fine, and not to second guess myself so much, that kind of thing, but she didn't lecture. She answered a question or two, shared a story of her own... and now I'm sitting on the edge of this inn bed after a good night's sleep, and I'm not quite so angry anymore. In fact, I'm looking forward to the gate, today.

He shoots me again, I'll fling an axe at his head, but there's no reason to be mad about somebody else losing their cool. I've got mine, and for now, that's good enough._

• _Ardent was what gave it away.

People are good at secrets. I am no spy, nor an information gatherer or any merit, really. If I see it, it happened. If I do not see it, I'm not somehow able to make sense of mysteries and intrigue like some others.

Ardent's behavior was nothing hidden.

She fell, apparently, not long ago. Perhaps even more than once. Since then, people at the gate and in Peltarch all have made mention of her seemingly frantic attempts to get back up to her former skill, feeling drained and, in her words, useless since she was struck down.

Nobody mocks, but several seem concerned, that in her haste she will get hurt or end up harming another by insisting on going someplace too dangerous.

I made mention of it at the south gate the other night, and was snapped at. She's never been cruel to me, yet she said something unkind, and I felt it best, perhaps, to simply go. I was told not to press the matter, so I didn't. I walked, and she spoke anyway… informing me that dying was one thing, and she didn't care, but losing Ashena was different.

Ashena.

I had never known.

I left for Peltarch immediately.

Ardent chased, concerned that I was going to be mean to accuse Ashena of hiding things from me, but that's not what was on my mind. We spoke on the boat, then on the docks for hours, and I finally let her know that I merely wished to bring her flowers, lots of them, and try to make her feel better, and let her know that I am not upset at having to find out through someone else.

When it comes down to it, I get it. I do. It's probably similar to the way I won't let on how badly injured I am, sometimes, or that I can feel poison coursing through my blood, daring me to stop moving so I can sleep the longest sleep, instead of fighting it.

I get it, but I would rather know.

It could have been awkward to bring up, though. "Hey how are you?" "Oh fine, back to life after being slain by horrible undead. You? "

Certainly not up to our usual standards for conversation, I am sure.

I'm going to try and talk to her about it, and then it's back to Norwick once I drop of these flowers. Ardent went all over Narfell with me trying to find more roses, and they were indeed hard to find, as we came across none. These Sakura blossoms are perfect though, along with more forget-me-nots.

Once I drop them off at the temple, I can go find a way to get this other little surprise delivered to Ardent. She's too clever by far to have risked getting her something while she's near, so I'll drop it off at the barracks with her name on it, so it's at least a surprise.

Hope she likes it._

• _It's been an interesting, busy couple of days. I've never been the best at keeping track of time, so I'll try to stay on topic but, I won't hold myself to much.

Patrols have been fairly regular, at least until my most recent where we stumbled upon two score hobgoblins, and a couple of Umberhulks, just one treeline away from the lake! We slayed them quickly, but it did come as a bit of a surprise.

Also, speaking of hulks, I had a trip down to the depths of the Underdark where those critters like to hang out, too. The Fishmen down there were not much of a challenge, and we defeated the hulks handily. We even managed to retreat before things went poorly, too. Perhaps there's hope for these trips, yet.

Two days ago, I was able to spend the day with her, once more. My Ashena, that is. I keep forgetting I'm writing this for someone else, after a fashion, in case I don't make it back from something. Or perhaps for my children someday, should I have any? I don't know yet, but I guess that's kind of the point, isn't it?

She is doing well, still. We fought gnolls together with a group, and I was getting beat on pretty soundly, as was Rath upon his horse, but we made it through big groups of them anyway, one after another.

It wasn't until we hit one of the big mother ones that we nearly lost someone. Of all people, it was Ashena. I saw the scythe miss me, and I heard a cry and a thump. I had only a moment to look down, and I saw Ashena, her eyes unfocused and her body unmoving. I knew if I leaned down to help though, I would be dead.

I'm not much of a match for one of those creatures, but I leapt at it anyway, amidst the flashing blades and flying arrows of my companions, and landed the hit I needed. The bitch took my axe in the neck, looked at me for a moment, surprised, and fell over dead. Ashena was already getting to her feet, thanks to somebody's healing.

Thank the Lion, she was fine once healed, though Rath made my stomach turn when he said he saw her in two pieces. Whether or not he jested, I still don't know. It was hard to focus on the way back, but all was better once we were again outside. She kept up that bright smile the whole time, too.

Now I feel I am once again caught up enough to write down my actual thoughts on something. I will read this over later, I think, and try to make better sense of things so I don't confuse myself. Another page, though. I think I heard something outside the gate._

• _I recieved a letter today, the first I've ever gotten.

Val let me know that it was time. We've found a ship, and they'll sail when we're ready. We're going to find the help that bill needs, and aid that brave young man who has suffered due to a mistake that -I- let happen. The next time someone speaks such foolishness at me, they'll end up with a boot in the arse, or in jail, to think about things in quiet contemplation.

For a year.

Things are still quiet, and I've not seen Ashena for a couple of days, which always makes me start turning my head at the slightest sound of an armored person, or a feminine laugh. She'll show up, or I'll run across her in Peltarch soon, I am certain. Until then, it's back to work. The gates will surely be under assault soon, or someone will need arresting, or … I don't know, some other way for me to be useful.

Aside from playing tour guide lately, I'm feeling a little bit less useful than usual lately. I'm sure i'll feel better once I'm on the boat, and helping Bill._

• _It's quiet at the gates again, after another trip to the hold, this time with Rain and some others. It went very well. Assassins, archers, mages, they all fell before us easily, some even running in terror when they saw Rain and I descend at the front upon them like a storm of steel. The only problem I ran into was when we leaped into that cave full of spiders, and both Rain and I were both frozen in place.

If there's ONE thing I hate… it's being kept from a fight by magic.

If there's -two- things I hate... It's Malar panthers.

Rasuil and I were attacked by them in the graveyard recently, and though we slew them, I got chewed up pretty badly, we slew them, and continued on my patrol... which also had to be cut short. I was simply not in good enough shape to continue, which is frustrating.

Somehow, I need to find a way to gain a large amount of gold to get some more suitable armor made for me, or go on more treasure hunts, and hopefully come across some.

Speaking of armor, Ashena jokes about looking like Shannon now, but I think she looks wonderful in her newly colored armor. She truly does look every inch the person she is, a knight and a Paladin. One of Torm's faithful, and an example to those around her. I keep getting comments at the gate that people see me like that, so I try to live up to it.

Some fairly new folks came to Norwick, so I took them along with some more folks on a tour and patrol around the lake. Perhaps if they stick around, they'll live a bit longer since they know what to expect. A knight would do that, I think. Perhaps.

Dawn is peeking in the windows already, and I've already been awake for an hour. I think I'll have some steak and an ale at the gate, and see who is up to greet the morning._